ADVERTISEMENT

“We Are Young” is a False Narrative

Raging Cock

May 7, 2019
I keep hearing that our team is young. I’ve heard this excuse for years so I looked it up. It may feel that way because we are always forced to play young players.

We aren’t any younger than anyone else. In fact, we have 21 seniors. Most are getting significant playing time. That’s MORE than our two biggest rivals, Georgia (19) and Clemson (14).

41% of our roster is comprised of upperclassmen. Compare that to Georgia (36%) and Clemson (33%), who both roster a higher percentage of underclassman than we do.

Doesn’t fit the narrative you’ve heard everyday on 107.5? Look it up yourself.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/teams/

Reactions: Bwellbaseball
Seems like looking at ages of contributors would be more indicative than the whole team overall. Doesn't matter if you have 70 seniors if they hardly see the field.

Reactions: rogue cock
Lack of quality depth is our problem now. We need to play as many as possible to coach them up and give them game reps. I am not saying to take out the starters for long periods of time. But mixing in a few of the younger guys in real game situations would go a long way for the future.
Oh, and we need better players too.

I applied the same analysis to all three rosters. UGA and Clemson have bigger overall published rosters and still have fewer Seniors and a higher percentage of underclassmen. The narrative that we are a young team is just not true. That’s my point.

The next time our fans or the radio hacks scream “We are Young”... call them out. It’s not true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT