ADVERTISEMENT

ACC AFFILIATION UNDERMINES CLEMSON’S ODDS TO MAKE THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF

Aug 2, 2008
banner-clemson.png

Hypothetically, it is still possible for Clemson to end the 2015 football season as an undefeated ACC Champion. They certainly have the schedule to make it happen. But even if Clemson does win out, they still do not have a slam-dunk, automatic invitation into the college football playoffs.

Clemson’s chances depend much upon how the cookie crumbles elsewhere. There are five Power 5 Conferences and only four slots in the playoff. In the end, Clemson must prove themselves better than the worst champion from one of the other Power5 conferences. It remains an open question whether an undefeated Clemson could unseat a one-loss champion from any other Power5 Conference.

Because one team is undefeated does not a guarantee make. A team’s won loss record is only one factor. There are others.

Among the many factors the committee members consider are win-loss record,strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents and conference championships won
College Football Playoff Committee FAQs

Clemson’s affiliation with the ACC is a heavy anchor that may drag the Tigers down. The ACC’s 2015 out of conference performance (31-13) is dismal. Against FBS teams their record is just 16-13. Most of the ACC victories are against Sun Belt or MAC teams. They are just a 3-8 against other Power 5 teams. Indeed, two of the ACC’s best teams (UNC and Louisville) lost to two of the SEC’s worst (South Carolina and Auburn). The ACC’s overall non-conference record is by far the worst of any Power 5 Conference.

conference-stats.png

http://www.colleyrankings.com/foot2015/rankings/conf04.html

That conference affiliation is a definite factor the Committee must consider.

The ACC can still right the ship at the end of the season when non-conference play resumes. Georgia Tech, Florida State, Louisville, and Clemson all play SEC teams at the end of the season. If the ACC can repeat the 2014 season, then Clemson’s chances to make the playoffs will increase substantially. But if they perform as they do most years, then Clemson’s chances will sink even further.

The ACC’s poor out of conference record argues strongly against admitting an ACC Champion over one of the other four conference champions. An ACC team’s undefeated record is bolstered hugely by playing weak ACC conference games. Going undefeated against ACC competition is not even in the same ball park as making it through an SEC schedule with only one loss. The strength of schedule argument means that an undefeated ACC team should not be picked over a one-loss SEC champion. The other conferences, except maybe the Big 10, which is just 3-4 against ACC teams, can make similar cases.

Of course, Clemson has no shot at the playoffs if they lose to a disappointing South Carolina team on the road in Columbia. Beating the Gamecocks in Columbia is something no Clemson team has done since 2007 when Clemson eked out a narrow 23-21 win.

Reactions: DaddyRooster
As of now probably more probability the sec is left out than Clem is. Ole Miss could win out which would leave the sec on the outside looking in.

Reactions: king ward
If they win out there in, end of story

FSU almost didn't make it last year and I believe they were the 4th seeded team and only unbeaten in the playoff. Clemson's schedule this season is worse and the App State and Wofford games could put them behind one of the other respected teams from the tougher conferences even with 1 loss.

If Bama beats LSU, and Florida wins the SEC Championship over Bama couldn't LSU and Florida make the playoff since they played a nail biter in the regular season.

Clemson will get in if they run the gauntlet. Slip up just once and it'll be bye bye taters and you'll see a one loss SEC team take their spot.

Reactions: Quisp
banner-clemson.png

Hypothetically, it is still possible for Clemson to end the 2015 football season as an undefeated ACC Champion. They certainly have the schedule to make it happen. But even if Clemson does win out, they still do not have a slam-dunk, automatic invitation into the college football playoffs.

Clemson’s chances depend much upon how the cookie crumbles elsewhere. There are five Power 5 Conferences and only four slots in the playoff. In the end, Clemson must prove themselves better than the worst champion from one of the other Power5 conferences. It remains an open question whether an undefeated Clemson could unseat a one-loss champion from any other Power5 Conference.

Because one team is undefeated does not a guarantee make. A team’s won loss record is only one factor. There are others.

Among the many factors the committee members consider are win-loss record,strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents and conference championships won
College Football Playoff Committee FAQs

Clemson’s affiliation with the ACC is a heavy anchor that may drag the Tigers down. The ACC’s 2015 out of conference performance (31-13) is dismal. Against FBS teams their record is just 16-13. Most of the ACC victories are against Sun Belt or MAC teams. They are just a 3-8 against other Power 5 teams. Indeed, two of the ACC’s best teams (UNC and Louisville) lost to two of the SEC’s worst (South Carolina and Auburn). The ACC’s overall non-conference record is by far the worst of any Power 5 Conference.

conference-stats.png

http://www.colleyrankings.com/foot2015/rankings/conf04.html

That conference affiliation is a definite factor the Committee must consider.

The ACC can still right the ship at the end of the season when non-conference play resumes. Georgia Tech, Florida State, Louisville, and Clemson all play SEC teams at the end of the season. If the ACC can repeat the 2014 season, then Clemson’s chances to make the playoffs will increase substantially. But if they perform as they do most years, then Clemson’s chances will sink even further.

The ACC’s poor out of conference record argues strongly against admitting an ACC Champion over one of the other four conference champions. An ACC team’s undefeated record is bolstered hugely by playing weak ACC conference games. Going undefeated against ACC competition is not even in the same ball park as making it through an SEC schedule with only one loss. The strength of schedule argument means that an undefeated ACC team should not be picked over a one-loss SEC champion. The other conferences, except maybe the Big 10, which is just 3-4 against ACC teams, can make similar cases.

Of course, Clemson has no shot at the playoffs if they lose to a disappointing South Carolina team on the road in Columbia. Beating the Gamecocks in Columbia is something no Clemson team has done since 2007 when Clemson eked out a narrow 23-21 win.

FSU almost didn't make it last year and I believe they were the 4th seeded team and only unbeaten in the playoff. Clemson's schedule this season is worse and the App State and Wofford games could put them behind one of the other respected teams from the tougher conferences even with 1 loss.

If Bama beats LSU, and Florida wins the SEC Championship over Bama couldn't LSU and Florida make the playoff since they played a nail biter in the regular season.
Fsu looked bad while winning last year is why they dropped to #4. They literally struggled with everyone they played. If Clemson wins out the worst case is they are #4 and that is plenty good.

keep hoping

As of now probably more probability the sec is left out than Clem is. Ole Miss could win out which would leave the sec on the outside looking in.
Not if Bama wins out also, it will only strengthen Bama's SOS and more than likely put them in ahead of Clempson.

Not if Bama wins out also, it will only strengthen Bama's SOS and more than likely put them in ahead of Clempson.

Bama not playing in the championship definitely keeps them out no matter what they do if ole Miss wins out. Committee made that very clear when they left out both big twelve champs last year. If ole miss wins out the sec is left out. That's an awful loss at home for Bama. Only way bama makes it is to win out and have LSU beat ole miss so bama can win the SEC. Big 12 is going to be forced to add teams for a championship game. Any time it's close they'll be left out for not having one. Bama would be left out for not making theirs. If Ole Miss won out they'd be praying for the last spot and prob left out. It'd be Clem, Stan, tOSU, and Baylor/TCU winner. If Clem wins out they're ahead of both big xii and PAC champs at the least

OP makes strong facts. Unfortunately though winning against a bunch of bad teams will make them undefeated. Same way Seminoles went undefeated. It may b true that those Seminole teams were very talented they still did not gave a tough road to get there. Taters this year are not sane as those seminole teams but still good enough to win out against the weak schedule. They would not go undefeated more than likely against an sec schedule but fortunate for them they don't have to. Heck even the ACC championship will be against a duke or UNC. So not much there either

Saw an interesting statistic on ESPN Championship drive last night. Out of the teams in the AP Top 5, Bama had the best SOS, Clemson was 2nd, LSU 3rd, and TCU 4th. They showed Ohio State as 34th, but I thought they were actually 74th, but could be mistaken.
While the ACC Atlantic is admittedly bad, the Coastal has three one loss teams, so if one of then wins out, that's a plus. ND winning out and if possible beating Stanford is a SOS boost, and the last time App St lost was to CU and they are likely going to win the Sun Belt. Not saying they run the table as every game scares me still, but if they do, they are absolutely in.

App state will be ranked by the end of the year

Reactions: Matte Black
App state will be ranked by the end of the year
Actually...If Temple somehow upsets Notre Dame this weekend, the AAC will pass the ACC in football. The AAC currently has 3 unbeatens, Houston, Temple, and Memphis all @ 7-0 and Memphis just beat the hell out of Ole Miss. Maybe they have already passed the SEC for that matter....

LSU holds the keys to all of it now. Even if they lose Saturday, they could get Bama in by beating Ole Miss, provided of course Bama goes on to win the SECG.

Reactions: kylebw
As I've stated in other threads, the field needs to be expanded to 16.

The field needs to be expanded but I think 16 is too many. That's 4 additional games for the champ and runner up.

I think 6 teams with 1 & 2 getting a bye or 8 is a good number. If you go 8 that gives you the winners of the P5 plus 3 more from the field.

The field needs to be expanded but I think 16 is too many. That's 4 additional games for the champ and runner up.

I think 6 teams with 1 & 2 getting a bye or 8 is a good number. If you go 8 that gives you the winners of the P5 plus 3 more from the field.

Actually, it's two additional games each for the champ and runner-up with a 16-team playoff (assuming no consolation game).

I think we agree that there needs to be enough slots to cover the champ of each P5 conference and extra spots for other "worthy" contenders, both from P5 and outside of it.

Perhaps our disagreement is that I believe that every FBS conference champ should dance and that there be enough sports for deserving at-large participants.

Four is good. You should HAVE to be conference champ and there's always one conference champ with too many losses to be national champ. Four is perfect. If you can't make top four you aren't deserving. Teams need to earn it

Actually, it's two additional games each for the champ and runner-up with a 16-team playoff (assuming no consolation game).

I think we agree that there needs to be enough slots to cover the champ of each P5 conference and extra spots for other "worthy" contenders, both from P5 and outside of it.

Perhaps our disagreement is that I believe that every FBS conference champ should dance and that there be enough sports for deserving at-large participants.

I meant 4 total games after the season for the champ and co-champ. It would be 2 more over what we have now.

No we are in agreement that every P5 champ gets a shot plus other "worthy" participants. I just think 16 is too many. 6 gives you the P5 plus an at large and 8 gives you the P5 plus 3. I think 8 is the magic number but wouldn't be upset with 6.

I think we go to 6 in the next few years with 8 coming shortly after.

It NEEDS to stay at 4. Too many and it's no longer special. If you can't make the top four you don't deserve it

Reactions: king ward
If BAMA beats LSU and wins out to go11-1 they'll make the playoff even if they don't play in Atlanta. Don't kid yourself.

You shouldn't have to be confrence champ. That's a f ing joke. The a she she champ compared to the top 2-3 teams in the SEC are no better. Sorry, LSU and BAMA can't both win the SEC , but both are as good as clempson or FSU.

The ace in the hole is the taters have 2 homers on the committee. They are there for one reason. To watch out for the weak ACC conference.

Exactly. They are in if they manage to win out. No brainer.

I disagree. A one loss Alabama is much better than a no loss ACC team. The only ting on Climpson's resume will be a win against a maybe better than average ND and an average FSU team. I could see several 1 loss teams knock them out.

Reactions: photontorpedotube
If Ole Miss wins the SEC, they will not make the playoff as things stand now. However, if the other conferences all post champions with one loss, they might sneak into it. For example, say Clemp loses to the Gamecocks and wins the ACC. They are out unless all the other conference champs have at least two losses, such as Ole Miss. But Ole Miss would supplant Clemp in that example.

Hypothetically, consider Clemson goes undefeated and is the ACC champ and then think about the final four in this scenario.

If Bama wins out and Ole Miss loses again (likely), then Bama will make the playoff as a one loss SEC champion. Only the slightest doubt.

If Baylor wins out, they make it. No doubt.

If OSU wins out they make it. No doubt.

If Stanford wins out they would be competing with an Clemp for the final spot. The SOS of the PAC12 gives Stanford an edge even with one loss. The will have beaten USC, UCLA, and ND, and the South champion (Utah?), plus they would have wins over the other PAC12 teams that are of a much higher quality win overall than Clemp's verses the realtively weaker ACC teams. Clemson can argue that FSU is good. (Are they?) ND, yes, but Stanford also plays them. The rest of the teams they beat are marginal at best.

Clemson's chance of making it as an undefeated is improved by hoping that at least one of the other P5 conference champions emerge with at least two losses. OTherwise, it gets sketchy for them.

Too much analysis. Clemson is in if they win out, they're out if they lose.

I would be surprised if an SEC team is not in it. But whoever that is (even Bama) would not get in at the expense of an undefeated Clemson team. Won't happen. Some other school (conference) would be on the outs.

It really just depends on who else is undefeated. At this point Clemson should definitely be in. The problem they have and likely will have for at least a couple of more years is that their conference doesn't stack up well with the others, so if there is an undefeated from each of the Power 5, the ACC isn't the lock an SEC or Pac-12 team likely is.

Their schedule (especially with their home lineup) isn't exactly stellar this year, but if they go undefeated I'm not sure who you would bump them out for.

Fsu was 3 seed and terrible all year. App state isn't looking bad now. They aren't good, but they will have a 10 win year in the fbs. Let's use some facts when trashing our rival. I have way more I care about than what Clemson does. I hope we beat them, but what they look like in October doesn't mean anything. They were "better" on paper a few of the time we won.

All of the lower NCAA football divisions have been using 16 team playoffs for years and it works well.

Too much analysis. Clemson is in if they win out, they're out if they lose.

I would be surprised if an SEC team is not in it. But whoever that is (even Bama) would not get in at the expense of an undefeated Clemson team. Won't happen. Some other school (conference) would be on the outs.
If we win out, we will be in it. I have some doubt we will win out. It takes about 8-9 games to see which teams are good, or really good. Fun to watch though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT