ADVERTISEMENT

..And we wonder why we have...

NooNoo

Jan 27, 2002
....screwed the pooch. Remember Paris Palmer from last year where Elliott ended up just not ever even contacting him for months? He went to Penn state after James Franklin busted his ass to form a relationship. Thought he might be our starting LT this year. With this staff we will always recruit passively. We are in the SEC but put effort into it as if we were in the Sunbelt. Sick of being outworked. We should NOT be in some rebuilding mode instead we got lazy on the recruiting trail. Don't know what else can be said..just venting. It feels like our time passed us by and it did not have to be that way.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Get ready for the sunshine pumpers to tell u how wrong u are and u are a tater.

untitled_zpsj5orbxvn.png

Reactions: rpp2001
You guys get to worked up over high school kids. You must not have any bills to pay and got plenty of money in the bank. Must be nice.
Perhaps we get so worked up over high school recruits because our staff doesn't seem to get worked up at all...or in this case, work at all. How do you offer a kid and have zero follow up with him to assess his interest?

Win some, lose some. Football season is a few months away. That's what I'm gearing up for. Not worried about Palmer. It's been like five months since he signed elsewhere. Time to move on.

Perhaps we get so worked up over high school recruits because our staff doesn't seem to get worked up at all...or in this case, work at all. How do you offer a kid and have zero follow up with him to assess his interest?

This pretty much sums it up.

....screwed the pooch. Remember Paris Palmer from last year where Elliott ended up just not ever even contacting him for months? He went to Penn state after James Franklin busted his ass to form a relationship. Thought he might be our starting LT this year. With this staff we will always recruit passively. We are in the SEC but put effort into it as if we were in the Sunbelt. Sick of being outworked. We should NOT be in some rebuilding mode instead we got lazy on the recruiting trail. Don't know what else can be said..just venting. It feels like our time passed us by and it did not have to be that way.

Exactly right, lazy in recruiting is showing up. Elliott may jump around but his offensive lines are sitting ducks. They never drive anyone off the ball and can't hold blocks long enough. They can't block a little league team.

Reactions: IrmeseTiger
I have always had a real concern about our recruiting. We seem to recruit off Spurrier's name rather than go try to sell these kids on a top class coming together for a good run. These coaches seem to be going through the motion and we have less youth and enthusiasm when it comes to recruiting these high school kids. They should have fun and have a better connection with the little time these coaches actually get to spend with them. I know the team itself gets involved with recruiting on campus but most of the contacts are off campus. If you are not enthusiastic and make a connection with these kids off campus, you are not going to get them on campus. JMO....

If any of y'all think we recruit as hard as our top 5 competitors, you're crazy.
Top 5? Keep going...we are being out recruited by nearly every team in our conference. According to this site, we are dead last in number of recruits and are only ahead of Vandy with the rankings.

Reactions: conCOCKshon
Palmer wasn't a high school kid. In any event, recruiting is the life blood of the program. It's also a major responsibility of one of the highest paid staffs in the country.

how much do we budget for recruiting compared to other SEC schools

How did such a "sorry-ass recruiting" staff end up with a #4 ranked team? Just luck?
Do you really have to ask the question? Do you not remember Spurrier crediting Stephon Gilmore choosing to "stay home" rather than going anywhere in the US, and then the next 3 Mr SC Football following suit (Lattimore, Clowney and Rowland)? Those key players were good enough to draw other key players to USC. And yes, I know Rowland didn't pan out.
I haven't heard of Spurrier dancing with a recruit's mother since Lattimore, or for that matter, I haven't heard much of him being involved at all with recruiting since, and as I'm sure you know, we haven't even recruited very well in our own state.
In my opinion, that 3 - 4 year period of time was an anomaly. We were in a good position to maintain the momentum, but instead, "got a little big headed" as Spurrier admitted.

Says the guy who posts on nearly every thread, regardless of the time or day of the week.
Sorry look like i hit a nerve. Maybe you should go on facebook and beg a 17 year old to come to USC or something. But what you posted is the truth.

Last edited:
How did such a "sorry-ass recruiting" staff end up with a #4 ranked team? Just luck?

Yes, but Clowneys and Lattimores come along (drop in your lap) . . . maybe, every 10 years or so. The rest of the time you have to . . . horrors . . . WORK for it and that just may mean getting out of ColaTown and hitting thr road!

Maybe you need to read the post again. It wasn't about 17 year olds. It was about passive recruiting by our coaching staff.
Simple facts are you cant get worked up over every recruit that doesnt come here.

Is there really a big difference between the #10 class and the #20 class? Look at last year USC finished #19 in recruiting with an average star of 3.3 and UGA finished #6 with a average of only 3.45.

Do you really have to ask the question? Do you not remember Spurrier crediting Stephon Gilmore choosing to "stay home" rather than going anywhere in the US, and then the next 3 Mr SC Football following suit (Lattimore, Clowney and Rowland)? Those key players were good enough to draw other key players to USC. And yes, I know Rowland didn't pan out.
I haven't heard of Spurrier dancing with a recruit's mother since Lattimore, or for that matter, I haven't heard much of him being involved at all with recruiting since, and as I'm sure you know, we haven't even recruited very well in our own state.
In my opinion, that 3 - 4 year period of time was an anomaly. We were in a good position to maintain the momentum, but instead, "got a little big headed" as Spurrier admitted.

. . . and LAZY, too. I sometimes wonder just WHAT do our guys DO? It surely can't be that they're out there beating the bushes for GOOD players!

A few weeks ago I posited the theory that the 9 to 5 attitude that comes from the top may be impacting the recruiting effort. I can't help but think of that and wonder what's up. Do you not have a spreadsheet or database and simply check off the boxes on these recruits? This is baffling. That said given that list of schools it's an uphill battle but you at least have to give yourself a chance.

Maybe you need to read the post again. It wasn't about 17 year olds. It was about passive recruiting by our coaching staff.

So when I read quote after quote where a recruit is saying I hear from (fill in USC coach's name) almost every day, I guess they're all lying? I guess it's a good thing that you guys give us the REAL scoop.

Do the rankings just take into account the number of stars or do they consider filling needs? Hypothetically, would you want to sign ten 5* QBs but no OL? It'd look great in the recruiting rankings but wouldn't make for much of a team.

If we're in serious need of a defensive end, I'd rather pass on the 4* RB and get a 3* DE. Again, not great for recruiting rankings but...

#1 recruiting doesn't necessarily mean #1 team. Makes it easier if you can do it several years in a row but there are very few programs with the ability to do that.

Don't know about you but the best I can do is wait til November and see how these guys have done as a team.

GO COCKS!
Shannon
USC '88

Reactions: Tigerof66
SOS, Jr. did say about a week or so ago that the number of commits in the 2016 class wouldn't increase significantly until things begin to 'clear up' - or words to that effect. In other words, 'be patient and trust us'.

SOS, Jr. did say about a week or so ago that the number of commits in the 2016 class wouldn't increase significantly until things begin to 'clear up' - or words to that effect. In other words, 'be patient and trust us'.
The thing that will clear up is that the ole HBC will hang it up after this year or he'll come out after the season and say after 2016, he will retire.....

Another one of these threads??????

I guess one of the best QB recruits in the Country for next year just decided to come to USC with no recruiting effort at all from our coaches.

Some of you would be much better off just staying away from the internet.

Reactions: rpp2001

So, Spurrier's success here (winningest coach at SC) is due to instate players, that were destined to come here, regardless of who the coaches were?

What I don't get and probably the experts on here can't answer, if such lazy, sorry-ass, inept coaches can consistently recruit top 20 classes here under SOS, how come we haven't ALWAYS been able to recruit top 20 classes here?

Honestly yes. They had a group of big time players instate fall in their lap that were the difference.

How do you explain Sherrod Pittman, Christian Owens, Lorenzo Nunez, Dexter Neal, Octavis Johnson, Bryson Allen-Williams, Dante Sawyer, Chris Lammons, Wesley Green, Terry Googer, David Williams, Skai Moore, Connor Mitch, Pharoh Cooper, Larenz Bryant, Brock Statnik, Joe Harris, Jody Fuller, Chaz Elder, Jordan Diggs, Mike Davis, Damiere Byrd, Ace Sanders, Bex Axon, Matt Coffee, Josh Dickerson, Jarvis Giles, Leon Mackey, Lamar Scruggs, Tony Straughter, Jarriel King, Chris Culliver, Weslye Saunders, Travian Robertson, Dion Lecorn, Melvin Ingram, Joseph Hills, Clifton Geathers, Stephen Garcia, Jason Barnes, Akeem Auguste, Olifemi Ajiboye, Clarence Bailey, Hutch Eckerson, Kenrick Ellis, Chris Smelley, Kevin Young coming to SC?

All highly recruited players (4* or higher), from out of state. Odd that such a "sorry-ass" recruiting staff could trick these players into coming here.

So, Spurrier's success here (winningest coach at SC) is due to instate players, that were destined to come here, regardless of who the coaches were?

What I don't get and probably the experts on here can't answer, if such lazy, sorry-ass, inept coaches can consistently recruit top 20 classes here under SOS, how come we haven't ALWAYS been able to recruit top 20 classes here?
If you're going to quote me, don't use words like "lazy, sorry-ass, or inept". I never used those words, and to the best of my memory, I quoted what Steve Spurrier said of our recruiting efforts after last years debacle.

If you're going to quote me, don't use words like "lazy, sorry-ass, or inept". I never used those words, and to the best of my memory, I quoted what Steve Spurrier said of our recruiting efforts after last years debacle.

I don't recall attributing those words to you.

Sooner or later people will realize and accept the fact that Spurrier is unsure if he wants to continue coaching or not. It showed last year when his wife and a couple of others talked him into staying. Pretty evident with the collapse of our defense in games and Ward still allowed to be here. Pretty evident when recruits back out from commitments after the 2 -3 year comment he made. If Jr had got another job, he would be gone. Same thing happened with Holtz, he wanted to retire and he was talked into it, only to see the program go downhill.

How do you explain Sherrod Pittman, Christian Owens, Lorenzo Nunez, Dexter Neal, Octavis Johnson, Bryson Allen-Williams, Dante Sawyer, Chris Lammons, Wesley Green, Terry Googer, David Williams, Skai Moore, Connor Mitch, Pharoh Cooper, Larenz Bryant, Brock Statnik, Joe Harris, Jody Fuller, Chaz Elder, Jordan Diggs, Mike Davis, Damiere Byrd, Ace Sanders, Bex Axon, Matt Coffee, Josh Dickerson, Jarvis Giles, Leon Mackey, Lamar Scruggs, Tony Straughter, Jarriel King, Chris Culliver, Weslye Saunders, Travian Robertson, Dion Lecorn, Melvin Ingram, Joseph Hills, Clifton Geathers, Stephen Garcia, Jason Barnes, Akeem Auguste, Olifemi Ajiboye, Clarence Bailey, Hutch Eckerson, Kenrick Ellis, Chris Smelley, Kevin Young coming to SC?

All highly recruited players (4* or higher), from out of state. Odd that such a "sorry-ass" recruiting staff could trick these players into coming here.
And from that list who were 1st round picks like the three I quoted other than Ingram? There were some decent players but our staff isn't getting the known talented guys like a lattimore, clowney, or gilmore from out of state. The only reason they had a shot with those guys was because they were in state players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT