ADVERTISEMENT

..And we wonder why we have...

Weren't they ALL recruited by Spurrier?

Yes, but some of the experts on here claim they were coming to SC regardless who the coach was. They've decided SOS shouldn't get ANY credit for his success here.

If you aren't a tater you should be ashamed to call yourself a Gamecock. I know your kind though, you sit in the stands and hurl insults at coaches and players loud enough for those seated next to you to hear until someone comes over and shuts you up. Yep, that's you.

Never call out players or coaches in public,,,,,have sat through some good times and bad times with the losses like to Pacific, Furman, to name a couple, so nothing surprises me with our football program. Think what you want but our program is headed toward the Holtz era ending all over.

Never call out players or coaches in public,,,,,have sat through some good times and bad times with the losses like to Pacific, Furman, to name a couple, so nothing surprises me with our football program. Think what you want but our program is headed toward the Holtz era ending all over.
You don't know what you are talking about and that statement alone proves it. Anybody that takes you seriously needs professional help.

The main difference btw a 5.8 four star & a 5.9/6.0 four star is the recruiting services OPINION. Thats how our QB commit can drop a star during the freaking offseason, even though he's in the Elite 11 comp.

Last edited:
The main difference btw a 5.8 four star & a 5.9/6.0 four star is the recruiting services OPINION. The how our QB commit can drop a star during the freaking offseason, even though he's in the Elite 11 comp.
Not only went to the Elite 11 but was the MVP

I've got a better idea than you. The guys I named are all better than anyone on our current roster.
Are the guys on our roster finished with their careers? No. I'll put Cooper up against anyone in the SEC, ANYONE. As far as the others I see tons of talent that I'll let play out before I run my mouth.

And from that list who were 1st round picks like the three I quoted other than Ingram? There were some decent players but our staff isn't getting the known talented guys like a lattimore, clowney, or gilmore from out of state. The only reason they had a shot with those guys was because they were in state players.
Ever heard of Pharoh Cooper?

I still have hope that we will bounce back and have a good year (9 wins?). I am not ready to give the last game to Clampson, either. Until we have two mediocre years in a row, I don't see how we can be determined as "sliding downward". Until then, I prefer to think of last year as an anomaly.

Are the guys on our roster finished with their careers? No. I'll put Cooper up against anyone in the SEC, ANYONE. As far as the others I see tons of talent that I'll let play out before I run my mouth.
I notice you always deflect when you can't give a direct response. The issue isn't Cooper. He's s great player. But, I'd take Alshon over him if I was forced to choose. Likewise, I'd take Latt, Clowney, Gilmore and Ingram over everyone on our current roster, including Cooper. That's the point. I'm not putting Cooper down. Instead, I'm illustrating the current direction of our program, which you stubbornly refuse to address. A player of Cooper's calibre doesn't make a program.

I notice you always deflect when you can't give a direct response. The issue isn't Cooper. He's s great player. But, I'd take Alshon over him if I was forced to choose. Likewise, I'd take Latt, Clowney, Gilmore and Ingram over everyone on our current roster, including Cooper. That's the point. I'm not putting Cooper down. Instead, I'm illustrating the current direction of our program, which you stubbornly refuse to address. A player of Cooper's calibre doesn't make a program.
The point is you dont know who will step forward and be a great player, but I dont expect a Clemptech fan to understand.

I have always had a real concern about our recruiting. We seem to recruit off Spurrier's name rather than go try to sell these kids on a top class coming together for a good run. These coaches seem to be going through the motion and we have less youth and enthusiasm when it comes to recruiting these high school kids. They should have fun and have a better connection with the little time these coaches actually get to spend with them. I know the team itself gets involved with recruiting on campus but most of the contacts are off campus. If you are not enthusiastic and make a connection with these kids off campus, you are not going to get them on campus. JMO....
Spurrier Jr... Case closed

I agree but doesn't change the fact he was a 3 star guy not on most people's radars until the very end of his recruitment
So you are suggesting that we center our recruiting around guys considered diamonds in the rough and hope for the best? In reality if you have a good class you can take a chance on a guy like that, not build your class around him. Cooper was underrated but he was the exception...not the general rule for recruiting.

So you are suggesting that we center our recruiting around guys considered diamonds in the rough and hope for the best? In reality if you have a good class you can take a chance on a guy like that, not build your class around him. Cooper was underrated but he was the exception...not the general rule for recruiting.
Not at all. My original point was our staff lucked into some big time in state recruits which gave us a surge on the field and now that instate recruting hadn't yielded the same caliber guys we are sliding back to normality on the field. It seems like Spurrier and company don't give equal effort to recruting that our rivals do and the results show every Feb when we are missing our too target and having to settle.

Not at all. My original point was our staff lucked into some big time in state recruits which gave us a surge on the field and now that instate recruting hadn't yielded the same caliber guys we are sliding back to normality on the field. It seems like Spurrier and company don't give equal effort to recruting that our rivals do and the results show every Feb when we are missing our too target and having to settle.
I agree....you have to have Georgia, North Carolina, Florida and South Carolina full steam ahead. I love getting local kids but the real talent is not at our doorsteps....it's in our neighbors yard.....so to speak....lol.

What are you basing this statement on. We have quality depth @ all positions and a 14 year NFL veteran coach leading our defense that had the #1 defense twice in the SEC.

What are you basing this statement on. We have quality depth @ all positions and a 14 year NFL veteran coach leading our defense that had the #1 defense twice in the SEC.

Spurrier is not into recruiting. We have slide in that category. He was talked into making the 4-5 year statement after the dumb remark about 2-3 years. He allowed Ward to stay on after the total embarrassment the defense displayed. His hands off approach is just like Holtz did his last year or two, allowing Skippy to run the business, as Jr is doing now. Pretty evident.

Spurrier is not into recruiting. We have slide in that category. He was talked into making the 4-5 year statement after the dumb remark about 2-3 years. He allowed Ward to stay on after the total embarrassment the defense displayed. His hands off approach is just like Holtz did his last year or two, allowing Skippy to run the business, as Jr is doing now. Pretty evident.

Listen...about 3 years ago I had the good fortune to meet one of our coaches in a small gathering of Gamecock supporters. He talked about recruiting in detail, specifically about recruiting Clowney and the star rating system. He emphasized if you recruit by stars, it will get you fired and he could make a couple of phone calls and get any recruits status increased. He stated the key to good recruiting is proper evaluation of skills and toughness.

We were complacent last season, but will not be this season. Our team will be vastly improved.

Listen...about 3 years ago I had the good fortune to meet one of our coaches in a small gathering of Gamecock supporters. He talked about recruiting in detail, specifically about recruiting Clowney and the star rating system. He emphasized if you recruit by stars, it will get you fired and he could make a couple of phone calls and get any recruits status increased. He stated the key to good recruiting is proper evaluation of skills and toughness.

We were complacent last season, but will not be this season. Our team will be vastly improved.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but the top 5 teams in the country usually recruit a ton of 4 and 5 star players.

He emphasized if you recruit by stars, it will get you fired and he could make a couple of phone calls and get any recruits status increased.

I guess Saban, Urban, Richt, and Jimbo better work on their resumes. All those highly ranked classes based on stars and all. I also appreciated the irony that in a conversation talking about stars being unimportant, the main topic was recruiting Clowney, a 5 star player. Do you think it is a coincidence that our best years came when we had a host of 4 and 5 star players like Clowney, Gilmore, Holloman, Alshon, Lattimore, Garcia, Ingram, Quarles, etc?

Obviously being a 4 or 5 star does not guarantee that someone will be good, many fail to live up to their ranking, but I don't think you have to be a genius to recognize the teams with the most highly rated players tend to be the teams fighting for championships

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT