ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball coaching staff

USCAndy

Jan 2, 2003
Obviously Holbrook isn't going anywhere, at least this year, but surely we're not going to stand pat and make no changes to the staff. Someone has to be held accountable for the mess of this year.

I'm not so sure that changes are going to be made in the staff.

Personally I don't think there will be any changes to the staff this year. Now, if this happens again next year then all bets are off. There may be a whole new staff in place.

Another 3 or 4 years before any changes....then a decade of rebuilding is the future of the baseball program.

Meyers needs to go too. We need a change in philosophy big time.
Do you have any idea what Meyers has been doing with pitching staffs for the past nearly 2 decades? And you want to run him off after one mediocre year? Don't quit your day job.

Do you have any idea what Meyers has been doing with pitching staffs for the past nearly 2 decades? And you want to run him off after one mediocre year? Don't quit your day job.

Yes, I've seen him use the same pitchers over and over again. He will identify about two or three guys in the bullpen early on and that's it. The rest of the guys might as well pack it up and go home for the summer because they won't see any time. You know it is nice to have bullpen depth. A change in philosophy is needed!

Reactions: CAIN#
Yes, I've seen him use the same pitchers over and over again. He will identify about two or three guys in the bullpen early on and that's it. The rest of the guys might as well pack it up and go home for the summer because they won't see any time. You know it is nice to have bullpen depth. A change in philosophy is needed!
um... okay...

You do understand that we've had one of the top pitching staffs in the country nearly every year he's been here, right? I don't know why I'm wasting my time with you. I remember you were the only one complaining when we were winning championships. Why don't you go hang out under a bridge somewhere?

Andy, are you this negative in your personal life? I picture you as Milton in "Office Space." Life of the party...

um... okay...

You do understand that we've had one of the top pitching staffs in the country nearly every year he's been here, right? I don't know why I'm wasting my time with you. I remember you were the only one complaining when we were winning championships. Why don't you go hang out under a bridge somewhere?

Actually what Andy says is quite true. I know we've had some of our best pitching staffs when he's here, but he is not untouchable. Our pitching was 120th nationally this season. Down from 9th last season. That is too big of a drop-off, and quite simply is not solely due to losing Will to TJ surgery.

One of the biggest complaints many of us had with Meyers during his first tenure was using the same few arms over and over again, and he's doing the same thing this go around. Quite a few times just this season, one day Vince and Cody would come in, pitch horribly, and the next day, with 3 other pitchers sitting in the bullpen playing on their phones, who's up and throwing...Vince and Cody. I know some of y'all don't want to dare question Meyers, but have no problem questioning Chad or even Ray. Sorry but it must go both ways.

Quite simply we need a new pitching coach (not sure if Jerry is SEC caliber any longer) and we need a new hitting coach. Hitting went from 75th nationally last year to 235th this year.

And I'll be honest...I think Chad needs his own staff under him, that he picks. If he is having a presser on Thursday, and there aren't changes in assistants, I'll be pretty ticked. Because if he doesn't have the balls to stand up and say "I need my own guys under me" and recognize the problems that we have, I will begin to seriously question if he is HC material. I don't want to be wrong. None of us do. But I don't see any other way around it.

He has next season to right the ship, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaliCock and CAIN#
Actually what Andy says is quite true. I know we've had some of our best pitching staffs when he's here, but he is not untouchable. Our pitching was 120th nationally this season. Down from 9th last season. That is too big of a drop-off, and quite simply is not solely due to losing Will to TJ surgery.

One of the biggest complaints many of us had with Meyers during his first tenure was using the same few arms over and over again, and he's doing the same thing this go around. Quite a few times just this season, one day Vince and Cody would come in, pitch horribly, and the next day, with 3 other pitchers sitting in the bullpen playing on their phones, who's up and throwing...Vince and Cody. I know some of y'all don't want to dare question Meyers, but have no problem questioning Chad or even Ray. Sorry but it must go both ways.

Quite simply we need a new pitching coach (not sure if Jerry is SEC caliber any longer) and we need a new hitting coach. Hitting went from 75th nationally last year to 235th this year.

And I'll be honest...I think Chad needs his own staff under him, that he picks. If he is having a presser on Thursday, and there aren't changes in assistants, I'll be pretty ticked. Because if he doesn't have the balls to stand up and say "I need my own guys under me" and recognize the problems that we have, I will begin to seriously question if he is HC material. I don't want to be wrong. None of us do. But I don't see any other way around it.

I agree with BatGirl on this, not sure about Meyers, but Chad needs to make this his staff, not Ray Tanner's. Especially do not need someone on staff that has a job because his dad gave Ray a job at NC State. Now if Holbrooke wants to sit back and leave the staff in place and see if the new recruiting style makes a difference, then he will be on the Hot Seat next year.

I agree, Batgirl. Some people will say this year was an anomaly, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

In football, Ward had 1 of the worst defenses in the country, after having top 20 defenses the previous 3 years. Now it's all being changed.

120th in pitching and 235th in hitting is absolutely unacceptable. Meyers and Buscher should be held accountable. I'm not saying we need to fire anyone, but if they resign or get fired, I won't be crying.

Last edited:

Post of the year. Nothing to add here.

um... okay...

Your right we have had some of the top starters in the country with Meyers and usually only two guys he uses time and again in SEC play out of the bullpen. Cody and Vince were very hit and miss this year but rather than give some other guys opportunities he kept bringing them in game after game. Cropper, Haswell, both Johnsons, and Parke all looked good but were rarely used in SEC play. Murray was used in long relief and did well. Destino was suppose to be as good a pitcher as hitter, I think he pitched once. Vogel has a 94 mph fastball and supposedly the best stuff on the team, however, he had trouble finding the strike zone and was not used very much. That puts him right there with Evan Beal, great stuff but can't find the strike zone. That has to fall on Meyers. I also think the loss to UNC in the super regional two years ago had a lot to do with Westmoreland and Webb being worn down from appearing in just about every game the last part of the season. Pitchers need game experience to be sharp and using those guys so rarely didn't allow that to happen.

No way. Meyers has a proven track record. If our pitchers have another average year next year, then it's time to start thinking about replacing him. You just don't run off one of the best coaches in the country because of one average year. Esposito is fair game, but not Meyers.

Last edited:
No assistant coaches ever get fired at USC. Chad says he is determined not to let next year be a repeat of this year but has yet to let us in on how he plans to make that happen. Rhetoric and BS just don't cut it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT