ADVERTISEMENT

Best basketball team since '97-'98, I think

I think this year's version of the Gamecocks will be our best team since the '97-'98 team that was a 3 seed in the Tourney. PJ is a special player and we will finally have a lot of experience.
I think we are gonna turn the old proverbial corner as well. Last year I saw great improvement as the season went along. At first I was a little disapointed, but the fight they started showing really gave me hope. We are gonna gain a lot of respect this year imho.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
I think we will definitely be a team to watch. If Thornwell can get over the health problems he experienced last year and the bigs play a solid role, we can raise some eyebrows.

I think this year's version of the Gamecocks will be our best team since the '97-'98 team that was a 3 seed in the Tourney. PJ is a special player and we will finally have a lot of experience.

You guys do have a lot of talent, the only two issues I see are that your best players are still relatively young and as other posters mentioned your "bigs". With what you have coming in, it bodes well for next near if not this year.

Jumping the gun here a bit, IMO. Some of those Carlos Powell-led teams were damn good. Even put one in the NCAAs.

We will continue to play tough defense, and we should improve in most areas. I think the key to whether we make the tourney is Thornwell. He needs to be a leader, and needs to shoot better. Hate to be overly simplistic, but the shots just have to go in the bucket. I can't tell you how many times I heard announcers say, "South Carolina just can't shoot the ball". The defense kept us in most games. We ranked 302 of 351 teams in field goal percentage at 40%. No matter what we do on the court, if we shoot 40% again, we will not make the tourney.

Our bigs should be better than average for a change. I will be surprised if we don't win 20 and go .500 in sec. NIT should be easy....maybe get ncaa with a few upsets.

Other than LChat our better than average bigs will be freshmen. People praised the moon over Henry and looked how that turned out. Plus, one of our signed bigs might not even qualify to get into school.

Last edited:
FM is the most impressive coach at USC. He has the aura of a winner. I feel as if USC finally got it right by hiring him after years of frustration. He's gonna do big things at USC. Look how well he can recruit even while having to cope with USC's past loser attitude. It's great to have a MBB team that is worth watching.

FM is the most impressive coach at USC. He has the aura of a winner. I feel as if USC finally got it right by hiring him after years of frustration. He's gonna do big things at USC. Look how well he can recruit even while having to cope with USC's past loser attitude. It's great to have a MBB team that is worth watching.

Staley and Spurrier are the most impressive coaches USC and their resumes speak volumes 10x over that of Martin's.

I hope you are right. I got a cool letter this week signed by two of the players about tickets, though I had already purchased them. Good marketing, I think.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Basketball team will continue to see improvement. No less than 20 wins this season. I'm hopeful for an NCAA tourney birth for the first time in a long time.

The problem is our conference record while playing on the road. That's a statistic that has to change for us to go to the post-season.

I don't want to take away from Martin because I think he is building a winner and he is very impressive but he's not even the most impressive in his sport. Staley is the most impressive of the lot, with Spurrier a notch above Martin as well.

That being said, it all comes down to what happens on the court, so you could be right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT