ADVERTISEMENT

Best Bets week 12. My Muschamp eulogy edition

R

Reddfoxx1

What lessons did we learn from the Will Muschamp debacle?
I will say all of this with the caveat that I’m sure Will Muschamp is a good man who is beloved by most of his players. By all accounts he’s a good father and friend.
‘BUT.....
1. We knew what Muschamp was. He’s a defensive coordinator at a high level power 5 school. He was a failed SEC coach at a better, more prolific school.
2. He’s rigid. Muschamp hates change, as the game changed right in front of his eyes. He became increasingly predictable. Coaches and other QB’s have mentioned this. Ouch.
3. He never figured what we were going to be. We never developed an identity. You hear that a lot in football, but it matters. Some schools occasionally take on different personalities based on personnel, but we never formed one. BoBo has given the offense a hint of an identity.
4. He was never aggressive on defense. We were often caught in base packages, where 4-5 players had to beat their man to create negative plays. No havoc.
He was supposed to be a defensive guy. We were never elite on defense during his 5 years here.
We also were an abomination on offense. 12th in the league during his tenure.
5. He was boring. I know it shouldn’t matter, but if you are going to be average, be entertaining. Watching a Muschamp press conference or interview was pointless. He never said ANYTHING. I quit watching them in year 2. When he showed emotion for his buddy DJ Durkin recently, I wondered why he never did that for a gamecock. He’s not funny. Never saw him laugh. It matters.
He never really fired me up.
I always pull for the players, but it was just hard to like Muschamp.

6. He was, in the end, grossly overpaid. USC isn’t a great gig, folks. It’s hard to win here. The Schedule, Clemson and Georgia on our borders. So USC football has to give you something to care about. Muschamp just didn’t provide any real fun or happiness. THis is harsh, but true. I’m glad he’s gone.

Ive said it many times. We were spoiled under Spurrier. He gave us everything (except a title). Let’s hope the next guy is different. I will give him every chance.

In honor of the change, some songs from 3 legendary singers who are no longer with us

Blind Melon - Change

Bowie - Changes

Charles Bradley
Changes

To the picks

3-5 2 weeks ago
27-23 on the season

Game 1
Oklahoma -6.5 over Oklahoma State
Sooners have quietly righted the ship. And they are legit in defense. Cowboys are middling in most metrics.
OU has owned this series of late (7 of 8) and they are once again the cream of the BIG12.
Defense will be the difference. Ronnie Perkins return has been huge for the Sooners.
Like the under 59.5 here too.

OU 31
OSU 16

game 2
Northwestern +7.5 over Wisconsin
We roll on with wildcats. 4-0 SU and ATS so far. Much better SOS to boot. Wins vs Iowa, Purdue, Maryland, and Nebraska. They have also covered 5 of 6 vs Wisky.
‘Badgers have looked awesome vs 2 of the worst defenses in the Big 10. We take the points.

Northwestern 17
Wisky 14

game 3
Clemson -35 over FSU
Bloodbath. Clem gets 4 defensive starters back. And the nations best QB. And they are angry.
‘Style points are in order. FSU starts QB Jordan Travis again as Chubba Purdy is out for the year. Travis lost to GT 16-13 and Miami 52-10. a healthy Clemson beat GT by 66 and Miami by 25.

Clemson 59
FSU 7

game 4
Florida/Vandy over 67
Florida scored 63 last week vs a decent Arkansas defense. They scored 44 vs the best defense in the SEC the week before. They are the best offense in the country. Now they face the worst defense in the league. Florida will name the score. Vandy, has shown signs of life on offense the last 2 weeks. Putting up 900 yards vs MSU & Kentucky. Florida will surrender some points.

Gators 55
Vandy 21

game 6
Washington State +3 over Stanford
Stanford is bad. No team speed. They got whipped by a terrible Colorado team last week (misleading score) And watch Wazzu QB Jayden DeLaura. Dynamic. They went toe to toe with Oregon last week.
wrong team favored

WSU 38
Stanford 24

game 7
Utah +3 over USC

We get to bet on Jake! USC should be 0-2. Classic over rated Trojan team. Utah plays its first game with revenge on its mind. They beaten USC 3 straight in Salt Lake. Better coach. Sprinkle

Utes 28
USC 20

game 8/9
Liberty +4 over NC State
Liberty/NC State over 66

Why not. Wolfpack are a joke on defense. And Liberty is getting better. All to play for
Upset special in a SHOOTOUT

Liberty 45
NCState 38

other SEC games (for fun. Not officia)
Kentucky +30 over Bama
Tennessee +11 over Auburn
Georgia -25 over MSU
LSU -2.5 over Arky
Florida -31 over Vandy

and

USC +6.5 over Mizzou
Look for an inspired efffort for BoBo‘s first game.
‘So many Covid issues and opt outs.
will be a weird game

Missou 24
USC 23

as always
good luck and go cocks

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series