ADVERTISEMENT

Best in state history.

Gamecockalypse325

Jul 26, 2015
Sumter SC
Just saw the article in the kid from spartan high in "the state" Sunday. The front page teaser read: the best in state history... I bout lost it. There have been so many greats at that position in the states high schools, some of which I have had the pleasure (displeasure?) of playing against. Who's the best high school rb in state history in your opinions?.
I've got Lattimore. They rode that guy like a horse for THREE YEARS. Watched him carry the ball 30 plus times against Sumter High in the state champ.

Last edited:
Never saw Summers during his high school days but Stephen Davis was the best I ever saw live and my wife teaches at Byrnes so I saw Marcus a bunch. Marcus was an amazing back no doubt but Davis had at least as much power as Latt and a TON more speed. I've never seen a kid that weighed 230 pounds run that fast. In fact I think he won a USA Today track award his senior year.

Reactions: Gamecockalypse325
Never saw Summers during his high school days but Stephen Davis was the best I ever saw live and my wife teaches at Byrnes so I saw Marcus a bunch. Marcus was an amazing back no doubt but Davis had at least as much power as Latt and a TON more speed. I've never seen a kid that weighed 230 pounds run that fast. In fact I think he won a USA Today track award his senior year.
Stephen Davis for me, also. But, Freddie Solomon was the best overall player.

Stephen Davis for me, also. But, Freddie Solomon was the best overall player.

Sumter High just recently named their Field after Mr Solomon not too long ago. Grew up hearing the stories, and some of them are absolutely incredible. Such as in one game his senior year, mr Solomon ran the ball 12 times and scored on six of them.
Sumter high never had the ball in plus territory that day .....meaning all six tds came from at LEAST 50 yards out.

Last edited:
Just saw the article in the kid from spartan high in "the state" Sunday. The front page teaser read: the best in state history... I bout lost it. There have been so many greats at that position in the states high schools, some of which I have had the pleasure (displeasure?) of playing against. Who's the best high school rb in state history in your opinions?.
I've got Lattimore. They rode that guy like a horse for THREE YEARS. Watched him carry the ball 30 plus times against Sumter High in the state champ.
I never saw a name or a link to the article, who are you talking about and is he going to be a gamecock. ...... disclaimer - i don't post much i'm mainly just here to read and see what people smarter than me say

Reactions: Tigerof66
I never saw a name or a link to the article, who are you talking about and is he going to be a gamecock. ...... disclaimer - i don't post much i'm mainly just here to read and see what people smarter than me say
Not sure if I'm allowed to post his name on the boards (I'm new) but he's a 4* clemson lean (although Tennessee seems to have a foot in the door) he's been a tater commit since February. (Imagine that...The State boosting up a tater tech commit..)

Here's the link:
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article28734343.html

My order- Stephen Davis (grew up watching him play- stud)
Meat Summers (guy was a beast in HS. we hung out a bit in college at SC. Great guy, just couldn't get away from the smoke) Still think he would have been one of our better ones had he not got kicked off the team.
Mike "Squirrel" Wannamaker (Played at Spartanburg, had he not got into trouble, he would have been one of the best easily in college)
Marcus Lattimore

Anybody remember Carnie Norris from Spartan High? Absolute stud, went to UGA, but some dude named Herschel Walker signed the next year and the rest is history.

I saw Brandon Bennett at Riverside High, another dang good HS RB.

Way too early to deem Feaster the best ever.

Steve Davis (yes it was Steve before it was Stephen) and Summers are the 2 best backs that I have seen. While Feaster is a great back, he would not make my top 10 backs that I have seen. But he has one more year to improve his self, he is stoppable. High Schools with any speed at DE and LB seems to slow him down. Feaster wasn't even the top player on Spartanburg High team last year, that was C. Rookard (now playing at Troy). Now is Feaster worthy of being a 4* recruit, you cannot teach speed.

Steve Davis (yes it was Steve before it was Stephen) and Summers are the 2 best backs that I have seen. While Feaster is a great back, he would not make my top 10 backs that I have seen. But he has one more year to improve his self, he is stoppable. High Schools with any speed at DE and LB seems to slow him down. Feaster wasn't even the top player on Spartanburg High team last year, that was C. Rookard (now playing at Troy). Now is Feaster worthy of being a 4* recruit, you cannot teach speed.

Spartan are you from Spartanburg? Do you remember Wanamaker (sp?)

Can't believe no one has mentioned Derek Watson. He may not have been the best, but he should be in the conversation.

Spartan are you from Spartanburg? Do you remember Wanamaker (sp?)

Yes, I live and breathe in the Roebuck area of Spartanburg. And yes I remember Wanamaker and the fits he gave my Cavs. People need to remember, those of us the grew up watching region 2 4a football, saw a lot of good football. Spartanburg, Dorman, Gaffney, Union, Rock Hill, Northwestern all in one region. I remember Union had a great back around the time that Steve Davis played, that was great but just did not have grades to go to college. Also had Burris from Northwestern that was great.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Derek Watson. He may not have been the best, but he should be in the conversation.
The problem is, he played for a small school, and I just never got to see him play. But from what I understand, he could have been the best back ever on the high school level in SC. Playing on the 2a level, he was a man among boys. But the one thing that stood out about Davis, he was strong enough bully his way up the middle, and fast enough to out run any DB (not that any DB would try to tackle him one on one).

Yes, I live and breathe in the Roebuck area of Spartanburg. And yes I remember Wanamaker and the fits he gave my Cavs. People need to remember, those of us the grew up watching region 2 4a football, saw a lot of good football. Spartanburg, Dorman, Gaffney, Union, Rock Hill, Northwestern all in one region. I remember Union had a great back around the time that Steve Davis played, that was great but just did not have grades to go to college. Also had Burris from Northwestern that was great.
I remember the back from Union but I can't remember his name. He was a hoss. I was told that he was killed in a logging accident some years back.

Stan Manning from Dillon was an absolute beast too, but had some off the field issues that derailed his career.

Stan Manning from Dillon was an absolute beast too, but had some off the field issues that derailed his career.

You beat me too it. According to a friend who played on the team with him. Florida told Dillon coaches "just get him across the stage with a diploma and we will do the rest" the day before the state title game. The day after the title game he was busted with a large amount of cocaine in his possession. Career over.

Chris Massey from Cheraw was another beast but he fell off the map after going to JUCO out in Kansas somewhere.

Based on HS, Mike Dingle and Harold Green were pretty darn good.lowcountry boys. Dingle was 6'3" 230 and ran a legit 4.4 in high school

Based on HS, Mike Dingle and Harold Green were pretty darn good.lowcountry boys. Dingle was 6'3" 230 and ran a legit 4.4 in high school
Green literally dragged me 10-12 yards downfield draped on him. He and Dingle were some strong dudes.

Last edited:
Yep, the best in the state was from Spartanburg high school-Steve Davis (what he was called in high school). Held the SC state 100 meter record for 17 years and that was at 220 pounds. Summers rushed for over 9,000 yards in high school. Harold Green was a stud at Stratford

Last edited:
Freddie Solomon legend seems to grow over the years. Maybe he was all that and a can of Pringles but folks talk like he was a combo of Jerry Rice and Jim Brown.

Freddie Solomon legend seems to grow over the years. Maybe he was all that and a can of Pringles but folks talk like he was a combo of Jerry Rice and Jim Brown.
John Boyanski wrote the Palmetto Pigskin History. There's a chapter in there about Freddie Solomon. Some coaching legends who saw both Davis and Solomon are quoted. It's hard to compare eras but for the time frame God granted Freddie, he was better than anyone else was in their time frame,if that makes any sense.

It may "grow," but it probably is not far off. And we didn't have Pringles then. I'm not going to try to compare him. I just know what I saw. And I wish he'd been a Gamecock because then no youngsters would have to second-guess. ;)

It may "grow," but it probably is not far off. And we didn't have Pringles then. I'm not going to try to compare him. I just know what I saw. And I wish he'd been a Gamecock because then no youngsters would have to second-guess. ;)
I think that's part of the legend. He didn't have the grades to get in a major school. I'm old enough to remember him as a 49er and yes he was a good, not great, NFL player. My guess is that he peaked in high school.

And actually, yes, we did have Pringles back then. They're over 50 years old.

I think that's part of the legend. He didn't have the grades to get in a major school. I'm old enough to remember him as a 49er and yes he was a good, not great, NFL player. My guess is that he peaked in high school.

And actually, yes, we did have Pringles back then. They're over 50 years old.
Yes, I remember about the grades. I just know in all of the high school football I have watched (and I have watched many good players) he stood out. And, yes, he probably did peak then.

Love Pringles. Guess my mom preferred Lay's.

Yes, I remember about the grades. I just know in all of the high school football I have watched (and I have watched many good players) he stood out. And, yes, he probably did peak then.

Love Pringles. Guess my mom preferred Lay's.
The can was the novelty so naturally we had to have them. Just like Tang. Nowhere near as good as regular OJ but we had to have that too.

Yeah. We did the Tang thing too, mainly because of the astronauts. My dad taught aeronautics and LOVED the space program. I was wondering the other day where Fizzies went....

The can was the novelty so naturally we had to have them. Just like Tang. Nowhere near as good as regular OJ but we had to have that too.

Yeah. We did the Tang thing too, mainly because of the astronauts. My dad taught aeronautics and LOVED the space program. I was wondering the other day where Fizzies went....
Remember Zotzs? I think they were similar.

Anything space program was cool back then. There was also a food stick product in a slim jim type tube that I remember. Those were mediocre at best but still you had to have them.

I missed out on seeing a lot of guys in action. I did see Harold Green and Wesley McFadden but the best I saw live was Tracy McGriff. I saw him single handedly beat a really good Walterboro team in the playoffs. He ran over Norman Hand like a freight train.

I saw Solomon destroy N. C. in the Shrine Bowl. Let me assure you he was everything said/written about him. Nothing in his legend is embellished. He was that good. Losing him was one of the all time bad breaks in a long list of bad breaks for us.

Freddie Solomon is legendary...........if you're old enough to remember him. Wanted to go to USC but academics kept him out.

Freddie Solomon is legendary...........if you're old enough to remember him. Wanted to go to USC but academics kept him out.
I'm not old enough to have seen mr Solomon play, but being from sumter sc and being involved with athletics as long as I have, I've heard all the stories and they are unreal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT