ADVERTISEMENT

CBS News Report...Cover-up at Clemson (link)

Titleist*

Apr 9, 2001
Coming up on the CBS This Morning News, coverage of the Tucker Hipps tragedy and allegations of a cover-up by clemson and the fraternity.

Sickening

Why is this a surprise? They have been buying athletes and covering up wrong doing for years.

Many, many examples of less than average police work around that campus.

Good story by cbs. Sad, strange situation. No way 30 other guys don't know what happened.

Personally, I suspect he was thrown over the bridge for not getting the frat brothers their hardees sausage biscuits. That's just a guess and I could be very wrong, but it makes sense from all that I've read about. Somebody knows something, they just aren't telling! Very sad story, hope they are able to get the truth for the family, and justice for the young man IF a crime was committed.

Feel sorry for the family. They will never learn the truth. Thanks to CBS. No news organization in this state will ever do any real digging into anything that goes on up there much less give it some publicity like CBS is trying to do.

The cops up there are worthless unless someone attacks Howard's Rock..... Really comical if it were not so sad.

Originally posted by racetrac:

Why is this a surprise? They have been buying athletes and covering up wrong doing for years.
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by racetrac:

CU = Cover up University

Originally posted by jojousc1967:
Feel sorry for the family. They will never learn the truth. Thanks to CBS. No news organization in this state will ever do any real digging into anything that goes on up there much less give it some publicity like CBS is trying to do.

The cops up there are worthless unless someone attacks Howard's Rock..... Really comical if it were not so sad.
THANK YOU! I feel as if I'm the only one OUTRAGED at the South Carolina media. They frickin' job is to investigate stories like this, and try to uncover more of the truth than any would like to reveal. Instead, it takes national reporters at CBS to even write a minimal story about it. Every journalist and editor in this state deserves to have their a$$ beaten for letting this go as if it's nothing more than another mailman that got bit by a dog. I don't care that it's Clemson. I care that a young man with a wonderful future ahead of him was killed and no one cares to expose it.

These same "journalists" spent countless hours investigating and reporting on each time Stephen Garcia had a beer on his porch or at 5 Points, but a young man is killed at Clemson, and nothing more than a couple of cover up pieces written.

Disgusting.

Personally I think they were dangling him over the edge and it all went wrong.

Originally posted by Cock-Vader:
That would make sense...

When you read this below... Someone in the fraternity has to be in charged and keep a count who comes back and if not all pledges and brothers who don't come back, go find them or call the police... Leave 5:30 am and report a missing pledge at 1pm???

I think you assessment is correct and it took them about 7-8 hours to get their story straight as a group before going to the police...

On September 22, three fraternity members and 27 pledges, including Hipps, met at Clemson's Donaldson Hall at 5:30 a.m. The pledges and brothers at the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity went for a group run.
Hipps, the others later reported, lagged behind on the run and never made it to breakfast. At 1 p.m. that day, they notified campus police he was missing and that afternoon, Hipps's body was discovered lying in rocky, shallow water.

Originally posted by Cocky kebo57:
Personally, I suspect he was thrown over the bridge for not getting the frat brothers their hardees sausage biscuits. That's just a guess and I could be very wrong, but it makes sense from all that I've read about. Somebody knows something, they just aren't telling! Very sad story, hope they are able to get the truth for the family, and justice for the young man IF a crime was committed.
You actually think he was thrown over the bridge for not bringing his frat bros their breakfast? wow your hatred of Clemson has you thinking the Sig Ep chapter joined ISIS.

how is this not a possibility?? it has nothing to do with "hatred" for

Clemson but a healthy respect for how events "happen" in Clemson and after an initial news story, the ultimate resolution is not put out for public consumption via media coverage, the frat in question apparently has such a bad reputation that their activities on campus have been suspended, instead of suing the frat and the university, the family should also include the police department for shoddy work in the investigation and all follow up that has occurred, if you don't think clem doesn't operate this way, remember that we didn't know anything about the multiple times Chad Kelly had brushes with the law until he had been kicked off the team

Re: how is this not a possibility?? it has nothing to do with "hatred" for

That...plus that time Dablow was clocked going 65 in a 35 because he was late to some radio show, then the officer got fired!?!?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Some of those frat fellows know what happened! Surely the police will not stop investigating! Wonder if those who come on this site to talk about CU's great football team...will post about poor Tucker and his heart broken parents.

The intelligence of the Clemson police and the way they conduct investigations would make Barney Fife appear to be Sherlock Holmes.

Cue the tillmanites. They were outraged that some of us even suggested such a dastardly thing like a cover-up could happen at that bastion of integrity by the lake.

Unfortunately, that does make the most sense. If he were going to commit suicide it wouldn't make sense to do it from a 25 foot bridge. In the photos that bridge has a concrete barrier so it is highly unlikely that someone could have been running and fell off the side. If a car had run him off the side, the others would have heard/seen something. Common sense does not tell me this is an accident. His parents are right to continue to pursue this.

There must be one God fearing kid in that fraternity with a conscience. I read where someone named King was behind him on the bridge, so there were more than just Tucker Hipps, and also that he could not have crawled over the side without help.

The Delaware, D-Senators son was born to lie. (just being from political family). He would also be scared to get his old man in the news. But I think he was the Pres of the frat. He is also married. He has to know something. What would we see if it were Sen. Carney's son? Gomer and Otis?

And they tried to stall Hipps girlfriend from looking for him. Why would they do that? I have only read and heard this little bit about it and I think I know more about it than the clempson PD. Barney must have been on duty that entire time. That police dept. is there for clemson university, and not the town………or whatever it is. Their cops answer to the coaches and Tater U. Admin.I don't know about the Oconee County cops but they are supposedly the group who did the police work.

This is so serious and my heart breaks for the young man and his mom and dad….their only child. He was a good kid, went to Boy's State from his school, and was intelligent. His mother was so proud of him. But I can't help but picture Barney Fife driving his black and white when they should have SLED or some cops who didn't attend clemson doing some forensics and questioning immediately. I don't think they broke a sweat trying to find out what happened.

I would have called Fox news, CNBC, CBS, HLN. I would have been like Natalie Hollaway's mother. That is something a parent will never get over.

Wish they could make all 30 that were on the

run take a lie detector test. If they even threatened to do that somebody would crack.

At least those lawsuits might put some pressure on the right people. $50 mill is a big number.

Originally posted by cockhornleghorn:

Unfortunately, that does make the most sense. If he were going to commit suicide it wouldn't make sense to do it from a 25 foot bridge. In the photos that bridge has a concrete barrier so it is highly unlikely that someone could have been running and fell off the side. If a car had run him off the side, the others would have heard/seen something. Common sense does not tell me this is an accident. His parents are right to continue to pursue this.
who said anything about suicide or a car hitting him?

I think they need to ask those 30 to volunteer to take a lie detector and see who DOES NOT volunteer. If you have no knowledge...of course you would take it! Some are HIDING facts...

Re: Wish they could make all 30 that were on the

Originally posted by island mind:
run take a lie detector test. If they even threatened to do that somebody would crack.

At least those lawsuits might put some pressure on the right people. $50 mill is a big number.
If I was the father of Tucker, my detector test would be take a rope and tie it around their balls and dangle them over the same bridge....

I'm sure some of those boys would be talking....

That barrier is pretty high. It's not likely that he just fell over and if he jumped I don't think he would have landed on his head. There would have been "blunt force trauma" on his body and not just his head. To be honest, tho, it seems silly to throw someone off a bridge over such a silly incident.

Note:That idiot reporter actually asked his mom what it was like to look at her dead son. Wow!

One of my sons has several friends from HS that are in that Fraternity at CU. There is definitely a LOT more to this story than what has been admitted. No way did the young man fall from the bridge by accident. He either jumped or was placed in a situation as a pledge, that cost him his life.

The initial missing persons report did not come until 1:00 PM, about six hours after the 'run'. Listen to the caller. If the death had not been such a tragic event, the call would be considered comedic.

I am not sure if SLED ever got involved or not...but I do know the police said they were turning it over to a detective that handles 'unsolved' cases. If I were his parents...I would be calling the police and anyone else that I could think of DAILY!

That article was devoid of some critical information, such as:

- That fraternity regularly pushed pledges off of the bridge.
- Hartwell was only at 4-feet of depth below the bridge that day.
- Tucker Hipps was used to running and in great shape, dispelling the "lagging behind" nonsense.

Sorry but this is way off base.
These same kind of kids are doing the same things in Columbia.There is no "cover-up" or "conspiracy theory" in tatertown. Gee whiz, they've interviewed, polygraphed the kids that were with him that morning and there are no inconsistencies in the stories.

scsandlapper...where have you seen that these kids were polygraphed? You can only be polygraphed if you give your consent...haven't seen that...where did you see it? I hope they have been polygraphed and passed it...but I highly doubt that.

Yeah, 20 something of those frat guys told the exact same story after 6.5 hours of rehearsal. In the real world five people witness a traffic accident and the stories aren't the same.

I feel sorry for his family. If that were my kid, I would stop at nothing to hold those responsible for his death accountable and the university also. Damn shame this crap stain of a university gets away with this and south carolina state media gives them a free pass on most everything.

I've heard this and I've heard they sometimes make them jump off and swim across. Dangling and dropping him seems more likely since he hit his head though.

If that's the case, they obviously didn't mean for him to go over the side or get hurt, but when you mess around like that, something bad is bound to happen eventually. Terrible accident and tragedy because of reckless behavior. The cover up is the most despicable though.

There is one person in the state that can keep SLED out of the investigation. What color does she wear on game days? And, she appointed the director.
My question is since the (possible) crime was committed on an Army Corps of Engineers lake, can the Feds be brought in?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT