ADVERTISEMENT

Confederate flag raised at Clemson....

Both schools have skeletons in their closet. Your nice new wellness center is name after Strom Thurmond isn't it. So its you gonna rename that building since its named after a racist guy?

Both schools have skeletons in their closet. Your nice new wellness center is name after Strom Thurmond isn't it. So its you gonna rename that building since its named after a racist guy?

Never fails, the tater faithful can't wait to run over here and spin anything negative.

Strom was a politician and basically did what all pols do...said and did whatever he needed to in order to keep his position in politics. There really is no comparing the 2.

But you keep working on ways to defend pitchfork. I'm sure you'll be crying the day the mean 'ol black folk get to see his name taken off the building. And it's coming.

Yeah, but Clemson has some under their bridges too.

Ummm...who wasn't racist back in the 1800s?

When you name buildings, streets, parks, etc., etc. after those folks you can rest assured you're naming it after a racist.

Some people can't comprehend diversity. I don't agree with the ethnic cleansing movement, but it is alive and prospering it seems. And you're definitely right about the 1800's and well into the 20th century...and it wasn't one sided.

But hey, this is Clempzin. And there is no doubt Pitchfork was more than just a racist.

But anyone with a shred of common sense knows Steve Spurrier would never used that in recruiting...no matter how much I wish he would. Especially since other schools have used the flag at the Capital against USC for so many years though everyone from the U presidents to the grounds keepers admitted they wish it was taken down...but admitted it was up to the legislature to do it and it had nothing to do with the U of SC.

Still, wouldn't hurt my feelings if we land a recruit or 10 over them because of it. It won't have an effect on the misguided principles and beliefs of our society in SC and the rest of the country either way.

Never fails, the tater faithful can't wait to run over here and spin anything negative.

Strom was a politician and basically did what all pols do...said and did whatever he needed to in order to keep his position in politics. There really is no comparing the 2.

But you keep working on ways to defend pitchfork. I'm sure you'll be crying the day the mean 'ol black folk get to see his name taken off the building. And it's coming.
So that means you'll be renaming the horseshoe?

Do you really believe that Strom was the same man when he died that he used to be in the 60's?

People change.

Reactions: bowiestar2003
Discussing Thurmond's racial issues is another discussion... anyone comparing Strom to BEN TILLMAN is either not being honest or hasn't done their homework.

It's hard to argue facts. The clemsux Tillman Hall is more visible and actually a center piece of their campus, but the wellness center is named after a life long racist too. There has never been any proof that Thurmond changed his stance even though some have said he did. No one had definitive proof just speculation. With Tillman...he wore it with pride and actions. Much worse.....

Do you really believe that Strom was the same man when he died that he used to be in the 60's?

People change.

So do you think it Tillman was still alive he would be the exact same person?

Also, not sure why you guys constantly bring this up. That was 100 years ago and Clemson can't change its history. It has never deterred recruits and never will.

I'm hoping your recruiting efforts against us continue to be centered around building names and the fact that someone raised a flag in front of the school in the dark of night...

Reactions: RacingTiger
So do you think it Tillman was still alive he would be the exact same person?

Also, not sure why you guys constantly bring this up. That was 100 years ago and Clemson can't change its history. It has never deterred recruits and never will.
Tillman wanted blacks dead. The man was pure evil. Comparing him to Strom is silly.

I'm pretty sure just about everyone associated with the founding of USC was racist as well.

I was walking across a bridge one sunny day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump. I ran over and said: 'Stop. Don't do it.'
'Why shouldn't I?' he asked.
'Well, there's so much to live for!'
'Like what?'
'Are you religious?'
He said: 'Yes.'
I said. 'Me too. Are you Christian or Buddhist?'
'Christian.'
'Me too. Are you Catholic or Protestant?''
'Protestant.'
'Me too. Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?'
'Baptist.'
'Wow. Me too. Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?'
'Baptist Church of God.'
'Me too. Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you reformed Baptist Church of God?'
'Reformed Baptist Church of God.'
'Me too. Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?'
He said: 'Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915.'
I said: "Die, heretic scum," and pushed him off the bridge.

Reactions: bloody spur
i dont think you remember tillman doing that either unless your like really damn old! the flag isnt a raciest flag! its the inbreeds and red necks that give the flag a bad name! im all for taking it down but dosnt mean every white person that flys the flag is a raciest! thats just what the media wants everyone to believe! people seem to forget colored people fought for the same flag!

Face it Clemson....you're going to have to change the name of Tillman Hall. It's the way this whole situation is unfolding. To fight it further will bring all kinds of negative flak on your university.

Reactions: Bleedgandb3334
i dont think you remember tillman doing that either unless your like really damn old! the flag isnt a raciest flag! its the inbreeds and red necks that give the flag a bad name! im all for taking it down but dosnt mean every white person that flys the flag is a raciest! thats just what the media wants everyone to believe! people seem to forget colored people fought for the same flag!
Someone remembered it. And yes, the flag is racist. That is why people don't like it, not because it represents inbreds and rednecks, the inbreds and rednecks just take heat for trying to defend it, and so should anyone that tried to defend it.

I'm hoping your recruiting efforts against us continue to be centered around building names and the fact that someone raised a flag in front of the school in the dark of night...

Better be careful what you wish for . . . Could come true, you know? Once that flag comes down, there'll be hell to pay in Tater Town! LOL!

Reactions: rudybeg
the flag isnt raciest! maybe the people who carry it like the ku klux klan! or the moron who killed the innocent people in charleston! but the flag itself is not!the media blew the flag up and made this a raciest issue! now this whole damn state will be imbarressed because the ku klux klan and the black panthers both raciest groups will be assending on your great city!!! aka columbia!

No worries, the Clemson PD is on the case. I guess they had diverted resources to guarding the rock. Barney and Gomer can only cover so much ground.

Reactions: PC31
the flag isnt raciest! maybe the people who carry it like the ku klux klan! or the moron who killed the innocent people in charleston! but the flag itself is not!the media blew the flag up and made this a raciest issue! now this whole damn state will be imbarressed because the ku klux klan and the black panthers both raciest groups will be assending on your great city!!! aka columbia!
The world says it's racist. So it is. It represents an army fighting on the side of the institution of slavery. You are trying to defend something that is not worth defending. The KKK and the Black Panthers can come down and spout their hate and embarrass themselves all they want and you can certainly go down there and embarrass yourself right next to them, but it is not going to embarrass the State of South Carolina because the state will finally be doing the right thing about this **** flag.

No dowt. Terribly imbarressing when these raciests will start assending on our grate sity!

I'm pretty sure just about everyone associated with the founding of USC was racist as well.

I was walking across a bridge one sunny day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump. I ran over and said: 'Stop. Don't do it.'
'Why shouldn't I?' he asked.
'Well, there's so much to live for!'
'Like what?'
'Are you religious?'
He said: 'Yes.'
I said. 'Me too. Are you Christian or Buddhist?'
'Christian.'
'Me too. Are you Catholic or Protestant?''
'Protestant.'
'Me too. Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?'
'Baptist.'
'Wow. Me too. Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?'
'Baptist Church of God.'
'Me too. Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you reformed Baptist Church of God?'
'Reformed Baptist Church of God.'
'Me too. Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?'
He said: 'Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915.'
I said: "Die, heretic scum," and pushed him off the bridge.

Slavery at South Carolina College, 1801–1865:
The Foundations of the University of South Carolina

http://library.sc.edu/digital/slaveryscc/intellectual-founders.html

This is definitely a turn, and I may have told this story before:

My daughter who is now in Montana was at Washington State in Pullman for a few years in grad school. One very cold, icy day, she was leaving class to drive to my sister's who lived 6 hours away in Chehalis for Thanksgiving. She slipped, fell, and hurt her arm. She drove on, but the next day was in a good bit of pain, so my sister got her an appt with a doctor there in her town to look at the arm.

Rachel got back into the examination room where a very nice young-ish black doctor looked at her information.

"You're from South Carolina?" he asked.
"Yes," my daughter answered.
"Then you may have heard of my grandfather. He was from SC," replied the doctor. "His name was Strom Thurmond."
My daughter admitted to me that she was afraid he was mocking her about being from SC.
"Yes, I have," she said.
"My mother is Essie Mae Washington," the doctor explained,"his first child."

Then my daughter remembered the story that had come out earlier. She said he was a very nice doctor, and to my knowledge he still practices in that area.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
The flag has been used as a racist symbol and it was used as a battle flag to fight for slavery...(and for those who insist, other reasons).....I don't think everyone who flies it is a racist but it is still a symbol of racism whether it's your intent or not. Perception is reality.....and the worldwide perception is it is a racial symbol.

Face it Clemson....you're going to have to change the name of Tillman Hall. It's the way this whole situation is unfolding. To fight it further will bring all kinds of negative flak on your university.

Oh no, that would be the end of the world.

They could change every name of every building and I would not care as long as the university is still called Clemson.

Its hilarious you guy are arguing over this. The rivalry is so bitter for you guys that you bring up Ben Tillman often. Amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: RacingTiger
Discussing Thurmond's racial issues is another discussion... anyone comparing Strom to BEN TILLMAN is either not being honest or hasn't done their homework.

It's called distraction. It works real well on children. Seems to work on here too.

I must have missed it. Since you brought up the new wellness center, did someone raise a confederate flag there recently. They must have, for you to bring it up.

I must have missed it. Since you brought up the new wellness center, did someone raise a confederate flag there recently. They must have, for you to bring it up.

Do you guys even know who raised the flag? Was it a Clemson student, alumni or faculty? It could have been a random redneck from Pickens. It could have even been somebody who hates Clemson and wanted to give CU negative press.

Everybody is so quick to jump to conclusions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT