ADVERTISEMENT

Court stops payment to College Athletes (link)

EssoClub2

Jul 24, 2006
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/07/31/us-court-puts-ncaa-injunction-on-hold/?intcmp=hplnws

A U.S. appeals court put on hold Friday a ruling that ordered the National Collegiate Athletic Association to permit universities to compensate student athletes as much as $5,000 a year, Reuters reported.

The order was issued Friday by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. It places a lower court injunction on hold until the 9th Circuit issues its opinion in the case, according to the news agency.

Allowing student athletes to received a limited share of revenue has stirred controversy in the college sports world and among politicians.

President Obama said in March that compensation for college athletes would "ruin the sense of college sports" and create "bidding wars."

Click for more from ESPN.com

Yeah, I heard this was possible because the guy that is suing on behalf of the players image thing said the players had no say or representation in the amounts being rendered. And we are off to professional amateur college football.

Reactions: LegalTiger
This is not the same as the cost of attendance......it doesn't effect that in my understanding.....I will check though.

I really don't give a crap what Obama thinks about this. Really has NOTHING to do with him or his job.

Reactions: Tigerof66
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/07/31/us-court-puts-ncaa-injunction-on-hold/?intcmp=hplnws

A U.S. appeals court put on hold Friday a ruling that ordered the National Collegiate Athletic Association to permit universities to compensate student athletes as much as $5,000 a year, Reuters reported.

The order was issued Friday by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. It places a lower court injunction on hold until the 9th Circuit issues its opinion in the case, according to the news agency.

Allowing student athletes to received a limited share of revenue has stirred controversy in the college sports world and among politicians.

President Obama said in March that compensation for college athletes would "ruin the sense of college sports" and create "bidding wars."

Click for more from ESPN.com

Guy's, he'll is about to freeze over, melt, and then freeze again; I actually agree with a public statement from Barack Obama!!! :cool::D

This is not the same as the cost of attendance......it doesn't effect that in my understanding.....I will check though.

If the ruling does effect the COA, then I am shocked at the President's position on the subject - something I'd expect from a conservative traditionalist; not from the most liberal President in US history. If his reference was regarding 'pay for play' in college sports - I'm still surprised.

Won't affect Clemson at all. Recently had a conversation with a guy who's best friend is Airese Currie (WR during the Bowden era at Clemson). He said Currie confided that he was paid after every game based on catches, yards, TD's etc. Maybe he was gonna get paid a specific amount anyway regardless of his performance, but this guy mentioned Currie specifically said he got paid based on his performance. Business as usual at Clemson.

Won't affect Clemson at all. Recently had a conversation with a guy who's best friend is Airese Currie (WR during the Bowden era at Clemson). He said Currie confided that he was paid after every game based on catches, yards, TD's etc. Maybe he was gonna get paid a specific amount anyway regardless of his performance, but this guy mentioned Currie specifically said he got paid based on his performance. Business as usual at Clemson.
That's BS....When Dabdumb came in as head coach he blessed the program and put his forthright honest great guy image up front and lead this program from the depths of Hell to the angelic, heart felt, straightforward, nationally recognized program they are today. They are God's team and their program has the national spotlight on them as to what college football should be about....provided it should be about beating women, smoking pot, using prescription drugs that are not yours, and any other thing that Dabdumd can grant you forgiveness from and keep you on the team. They would never cheat....and get caught.....if they could help it.....

Yep , you guys have it right ... Dabo is the devil , and all of Clemson protects him , but we can't be blamed because he has the power of the devil ,, right?

Yep , you guys have it right ... Dabo is the devil , and all of Clemson protects him , but we can't be blamed because he has the power of the devil ,, right?

Surely, the devil could manage better than a 2-5 record against South Carolina.

Nice dinner out, came home - read this and sighed.
I don't know Airese Currie, though I watched him play football (pretty well) for Clemson against my Gamecock's and I saw him 'up close and personal' run track vs. my son's UVA track team at the ACC Indoor Championships in Chapel Hill. Absolutely GREAT athlete, especially for a relatively 'little guy' (under 190 and only 'bout 5'10")
Drafted in the 5th round, though by the Chicago Bears.
And I think a 'nice guy', too.
Why? I have no 'good' reason, except -
... a month ago Airese Currie and some of the other coaches at Columbia's AC Flora HS (he coaches there now) were hooked at the hip with 'Carolina's Connor Shaw conducting a football clinic for kids age 6-16 at Irmo HS.
I KNOW Connor Shaw is a 'nice guy' ... and my gut tells me he wouldn't ask Coach Currie to help with his camp unless he knew a little about him and what kind of guy he is.
If the story's 'true' it reflects poorly on Connor Shaw.
If the guy you had a 'conversation' with IS Currie's 'best friend' he ain't much of one to tell THAT 'story'.
If the story's not true it's unfortunate it got 'out' because I'd be willing to bet there are HS football players from the Columbia-area, maybe ever from AC Flora where Currie's now a coach that read this 'board' AND the Clemson boards.
"Business as usual at Clemson?"
I don't know if that's true or not. I hope it's not true ... and FWIW - I don't think it is.
I'm not naive though. Some college players WILL 'take money' and all kinds of other 'perks' from fans, if offered.
But Coach Airese Currie didn't strike me as that kind of kid when I was able to observe him for almost an entire afternoon from about 15-feet, where and while all the track teams were pretty-much 'camped-out' shoulder-to-shoulder waiting on their races.
He was cordial to athletes from several other schools and certainly with his own teammates - and he didn't act at all like the 'star' he was, at least in that group. We all knew who he was and how fast he could run.
I hope your 'conversationalist' was wrong, wally.

Don't forget to put this new "compensation" aka "income" on your W2 players, we need to throw money at Obamacare.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT