ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo's commitment rules

cocktal

Dec 13, 2014
To Essotwo : Brilliant attempt to cover-up another case
of Dabo letting his alligator mouth overload his hummingbird rear. Your
somewhat convoluted " reasoning" rings hollow though.
A while back, Dabo took an offer off the table to a kid, and very publicly
stated that if ANY kid opted to visit another school after committing to Clemson
the kids offer from Clemson would be revoked. He was very clear and concise
on what he meant. Now, he has to eat those words, because he has proven to
be disingenuous ( a very fancy word denoting a liar ). Without considering the
consequences of his statements, he talks himself into a corner, then his
apologists, like you, have to circle the orange wagons and try to limit the
public relations damage. A very tough job, and I don't envy you, pity you
yes, envy you, no.
His air of self righteousness continues to take hits and all the excuses offered
by you orange kool-aid drinkers diminish you along with him. You seem a rather
honest and decent man, too bad you have such a clown for your coach.

Reactions: F-86F and zack#
Cocktal, I am not sure why you started another thread on the same topic, but ok. Here is the thing....you say ,
"A while back, Dabo took an offer off the table to a kid, and very publicly
stated that if ANY kid opted to visit another school after committing to Clemson
on what he meant"

(WHAT HE Said TO THAT KID about HIS OFFER. )Guy, I want ya, but i need to know that you are coming or I have to keeping looking for someone as good or better than you and I get one who's all in before you get done looking I sure can go a different way ....kid accepts an offer under those conditions and then takes visits , all bets are off.

Dabo WILL pull a scholly if it is given with the condition that it is contingent on no visits. Read all the recruits comments that say, Dabo told me to be sure before I commit do whatever I need to do. You want so bad to find something evil in Dabo that it clouds your understanding of facts. At the same time if you are a 5 star he isn't going to do that.

I am going to try and give you an opinion on this, but anticipate that it will be hammered pretty hard. Here is the real question , does Dabo have a rule about a committed athlete taking other visits? I would argue that he does have that rule , and applies it when it is needed to protect a recruiting class.

Thoughts
  • Dabo believes that each recruit brings a certain value to a class, and that all recruits are NOT of equal value to the class.
  • Dabo has a specific set of needs to fill for any given class based on team depth position etc.
  • There are many more 3 and low 4 star type kids than there are high 4's and 5's
  • Here is an example of where the rule applies - Example , you need a WR , and there is not a premier guy that you have a chance with Sammy Watkins etc) and you are in on 4 other kids that are pretty much of equal "value" on your board. You have to pick one to give that offer to.( Or, you can just offer them all like some other schools do, then piss off all but one of the guys when you can't take them.)
  • Why would you tell a recruit that you didn't want them to take any visits after they commit? because if there are 4 equal choices, you want the guy that is All IN.
  • If you have a shot at CJ Spiller Deshaun Watson Sammy Watkins....you are going to roll the dice and keep a slot.
  • It makes perfect sense to me, but then I am a poor dirt farmer from the upstate :)
Example:

Kitchen, that is exactly correct, but that is a two edged sword. If there are multiple guys , that are considered "equal" on the board , and you as one of them want to go to Clemson , but you want to take other visits:
  • Dabo says good for you don't commit to us yet, we sure would like to have you but not unless you are all in , we will keep after ya as long as we have spots to fill at your position and at your talent level.
  • Dabo also has offers to three other guys with the same talent and the same offer'\
  • One of those guys says , coach I am all in and I am not taking any more visiys , i want to commit I am ALL IN.
  • THen Kitchen comes back and says, Coach I had a great trip to USC , FSU OLE MISS and etc...but I am ready to Commit to be ALL IN to the tigers.
  • Dabo , replies to Kitchen . Man, do we wish you the best . While you were looking , we were looking too. We have commitments at the position you want a nd we don't have a scholly for ya...
Commitment is a 2-way street, and yes if you are a 5 Star you get to play the field more, and the guys that want you will keep sending the flowers.

To Essotwo : Brilliant attempt to cover-up another case
on what he meant.

Link? I am surprised that I missed this "very public" statement.

From the very Link you posted,

“Maybe if I was at some other school our policy would be a little different or something. But this is Clemson, and people want to come here. We have to turn down a lot of players every year that would love to come to Clemson. The last thing you want to do is to have a guy – and I’ve experienced this – that’s committed to you and they take up a spot, then all of a sudden he changes on you. It is a numbers game. You can’t go back and re-recruit guys that you didn’t take earlier because you didn’t have a spot for them. Those guys move on. I would just assume find out early.”

I am still not sure what in the heck you guys do not get? If you want to walk around and visit like a 5 star, you best be a 5 star...or your slot will be gone.

As far as commitments to other schools who want to visit Clemson, Swinney said he considers those prospects on the open market and fair game.

“Guess what, they’re not committed to those schools,” Swinney said. “They wouldn’t want to visit here if they were committed to those schools.
I just like calling it what it is. The bottom line is if we have a guy who’s committed but he wants to go and visit other schools and do all that, he’s not committed. That doesn’t mean we don’t recruit him. It doesn’t mean that we don’t want him or we don’t like him. We can’t be more committed to somebody than they’re willing to commit. We can’t save a spot, hold a spot, and take guys off the board – because that’s what happens. When you take a guy’s commitment, that’s exactly what happens.

“If you’re going to sign two running backs and you get two committed, you can’t keep recruiting guys when you don’t have a scholarship for them,(esso-noteunless you are in the SEC) because you’ve got to have D-linemen, you’ve got to have linebackers, you’ve got to have receivers. Nobody can get left short. That’s why, for us, we take it very serious. We really talk hard on it on the front end. When we have guys that aren’t 100-percent sure, that is perfectly OK, but we have to kind of move in a different direction to make sure that we’re covered on our numbers.

Last edited:
From the very Link you posted,

“Maybe if I was at some other school our policy would be a little different or something. But this is Clemson, and people want to come here. We have to turn down a lot of players every year that would love to come to Clemson. The last thing you want to do is to have a guy – and I’ve experienced this – that’s committed to you and they take up a spot, then all of a sudden he changes on you. It is a numbers game. You can’t go back and re-recruit guys that you didn’t take earlier because you didn’t have a spot for them. Those guys move on. I would just assume find out early.”

I am still not sure what in the heck you guys do not get? If you want to walk around and visit like a 5 star, you best be a 5 star...or your slot will be gone.

s far as commitments to other schools who want to visit Clemson, Swinney said he considers those prospects on the open market and fair game.

“Guess what, they’re not committed to those schools,” Swinney said. “They wouldn’t want to visit here if they were committed to those schools. I just like calling it what it is. The bottom line is if we have a guy who’s committed but he wants to go and visit other schools and do all that, he’s not committed. That doesn’t mean we don’t recruit him. It doesn’t mean that we don’t want him or we don’t like him. We can’t be more committed to somebody than they’re willing to commit. We can’t save a spot, hold a spot, and take guys off the board – because that’s what happens. When you take a guy’s commitment, that’s exactly what happens.

“If you’re going to sign two running backs and you get two committed, you can’t keep recruiting guys when you don’t have a scholarship for them, because you’ve got to have D-linemen, you’ve got to have linebackers, you’ve got to have receivers. Nobody can get left short. That’s why, for us, we take it very serious. We really talk hard on it on the front end. When we have guys that aren’t 100-percent sure, that is perfectly OK, but we have to kind of move in a different direction to make sure that we’re covered on our numbers.”

LOL, we get it. We're not the ones acting like it's not his policy.

Guys. Give it up. You can't talk/argue with a clemmy fan and get a straight answer. The "facts" change to suit their needs. It's like arguing with a 3 yo. Just this morning on local radio the talk was about how Dabo/clemmy seemed to covered up DE Ogundekos first arrest. One of the local clemmy homers called in and said, "it's not Dabos fault if the press doesn't do their job." Typical clemmy logic.

Thanks Johnny, I have seen all that. The OP said: "A while back, Dabo took an offer off the table to a kid, and very publicly
on what he meant."

Even with garnet-tinted lenses, there is no way that blog could be the basis for the OP's assertion. He will post it at some point...

Guys. Give it up. You can't talk/argue with a clemmy fan and get a straight answer. The "facts" change to suit their needs. It's like arguing with a 3 yo. Just this morning on local radio the talk was about how Dabo/clemmy seemed to covered up DE Ogundekos first arrest. One of the local clemmy homers called in and said, "it's not Dabos fault if the press doesn't do their job." Typical clemmy logic.

Well- in my best 3-year old voice...someone asked to prove by way of a link that Dabo said what the OP said he had.

Essotwo : Brilliant attempt to cover-up another case
the kids offer from Clemson would be revoked.
He was very clear and concise
on what he meant.
Link? I am surprised that I missed this "very public" statement.

Then Johnny posted a link to an article to support the OP. But it would have been better if he read it first, as it supported Esso's position , not the OP. It's nap time now for this 3 year old...

Then Johnny posted a link to an article to support the OP. But it would have been better if he read it first, as it supported Esso's position , not the OP. It's nap time now for this 3 year old...blahblahblah

Do you fellas mind going over to your own board to pick more fly crap out of pepper? You are both a waste of space here.

Last edited:
Reactions: F-86F
I ready the article. Yabo plainly and concisely said committed recruits shouldn't be taking other visits. History has shown he has pulled schollys from players who did. Are you guys denying that?
Typical troll strategy, highjack threads by arguing the minute of details. IMHO, Yabo is a 2-faced scum bag. It's pretty fitting that Clemson fans love him so much since they are the most obnoxious, conceited group of fans I've come into contact with. They truly deserve each other.

Reactions: F-86F
I ready the article. Yabo plainly and concisely said committed recruits shouldn't be taking other visits. History has shown he has pulled schollys from players who did. Are you guys denying that?
Typical troll strategy, highjack threads by arguing the minute of details. IMHO, Yabo is a 2-faced scum bag. It's pretty fitting that Clemson fans love him so much since they are the most obnoxious, conceited group of fans I've come into contact with. They truly deserve each other.

I am not sure why you have to resort to name-calling. History does not support your theory. There have been many Clemson commits that have taken visits and not had their offer rescinded. Some folks are taking the exception of 2-3 recruits and trying to make it out to be a rule. Pure fallacy...

Of course Coach Swinney expects commits to honor their commitment. Any coach that doesn't would be foolish.

Anyway, sorry to interject facts into the eleventy-billionth thread based on a falsehood. Back to your regularly-scheduled bitching and moaning. ..

Maybe Deeboo should just clarify what he meant by saying certain recruits are expendable, and others, that are ranked higher, can do what they want because clemmy is scared s******* they'll get dumped.

Dabo Stings Recruits with Paul Johnson Recruiting Philosophy

GT head football coach Paul Johnson has company in the coaching ranks when it comes to his recruiting philosophy. Johnson has made waves over the years in the way he won’t allow recruits to visit other schools after they have committed to him.

Fans and media have been split, the critics saying it denies teenage recruits the opportunity to fully explore their options and in some ways hurts GT recruiting. Johnson’s supporters like that it forces recruits to stand firm with their commitment.

Turns out that Clemson’s Dabo Swinney is utilizing the same philosophy. For the second time in this recruiting season Swinney has dumped a recruit who verbally committed to the Tigers then took a visit elsewhere.

Swinney canned Florida linebacker Isaac McDonald in early June after the Champagnat Catholic (Hialeah, FL) player attended Alabama and Mississippi camps.

Apparently Champagnat Catholic assistant Jon Drummond wasn’t too impressed with Swinney’s recruiting philosophy based on what Drummond said in his Twitter posts.

“Clemson gon tell me I shouldn't have taken a player in visits...man they crazy as hell. A verbal commitment dnt mean u own a kid.”

And this… “They cut from the list and consideration….and coach D slams the phone setup like we owe him. S***t they can have that attitude n shove it”
And this… “Clemson with that BS, but I bet they let committed players on their campus all day any day….smh keeping it moving”

In addition to McDonald, North Carolina offensive lineman R.J. Prince committed to Clemson and then after visiting North Carolina to view the Tar Heels’ game against Duke, his ties with the Tigers were severed.

I think the feeling from most Gamecock fans rightfully or not is dabo will pull the scholly if a 3 star commit takes another visit but he will not NOT pull the scholly if the player is a 5 star. Therefore the hypocrite charges.

Maybe Deeboo should just clarify what he meant by saying certain recruits are expendable, and others, that are ranked higher, can do what they want because clemmy is scared s******* they'll get dumped.

Dabo Stings Recruits with Paul Johnson Recruiting Philosophy

GT head football coach Paul Johnson has company in the coaching ranks when it comes to his recruiting philosophy. Johnson has made waves over the years in the way he won’t allow recruits to visit other schools after they have committed to him.

Fans and media have been split, the critics saying it denies teenage recruits the opportunity to fully explore their options and in some ways hurts GT recruiting. Johnson’s supporters like that it forces recruits to stand firm with their commitment.

Turns out that Clemson’s Dabo Swinney is utilizing the same philosophy. For the second time in this recruiting season Swinney has dumped a recruit who verbally committed to the Tigers then took a visit elsewhere.

Swinney canned Florida linebacker Isaac McDonald in early June after the Champagnat Catholic (Hialeah, FL) player attended Alabama and Mississippi camps.

Apparently Champagnat Catholic assistant Jon Drummond wasn’t too impressed with Swinney’s recruiting philosophy based on what Drummond said in his Twitter posts.

“Clemson gon tell me I shouldn't have taken a player in visits...man they crazy as hell. A verbal commitment dnt mean u own a kid.”

And this… “They cut from the list and consideration….and coach D slams the phone setup like we owe him. S***t they can have that attitude n shove it”
And this… “Clemson with that BS, but I bet they let committed players on their campus all day any day….smh keeping it moving”

In addition to McDonald, North Carolina offensive lineman R.J. Prince committed to Clemson and then after visiting North Carolina to view the Tar Heels’ game against Duke, his ties with the Tigers were severed.

Still not sure , where the confusion is ? The examples you post are where kids committed and knew what they meant . I am not sure what else you want the man to say, hey if you decide later yiu still want to come ... And we have a slot it's all good ... But we are not waiting on you. And to Feaster Sammy etc ... His offer was we are holding adopt for you. Different levels consistent rule. Dabo tells them what their commitment means to them"some" kids think they are "all that , when there are three more that are just as high on the list" first come first served

Because it's selective enforcement. Seems like a double standard. Not sure why that needs to be explained

Because it's selective enforcement. Seems like a double standard. Not sure why that needs to be explained
Exactly! dumbo wants to act all big, talk about what commitment means and pretend to make a stand & yank a kid's offer. But then when he doesn't follow his own rules, the excuses start flowing. Commitment is commitment regardless of whether the position is filling up or if there's another recruit clemsux wants to offer.

I'm no 'expert' and I'm definitely not the last word on anything - and further more, the whole subject isn't very high on my list of priorities; I probably 'ought just ignore it but nah, I'm gonna' go ahead and add my $ .02 cents.

I've seen the OP's position quoted several times over the last several years always 'sort of' thought it was true, not really caring one way or the other - but then read the supposed 'source' story posted above and was reminded of something Thomas Paine wrote:

... a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right."

I'm not making excuses and for sure I'm no Dabo lover but I think we're parsing this issue a tad too closely - I'm not aware of Swinney ever offering a kid then NOT signing him if he 'committed' to Clemson - which would be a whole lot worse than pulling an offer if the player continued to look around.

GREAT players (using Rivals own definitions ... 5* - barring injury, can't miss, superstar, immediate impact ... 4* - possible All-American, immediate impact ... 3* - Regional standout capability, definite D1 player ... 2* - role player, college prospect, probable special teams standout ... 1* - unknown quality) will always get 'slots/spots' held for them ... every coach/school does that if they believe they have a legitimate shot at signing the guy. A coach would be an idiot not to.

Saying Dabo has 'two policies' isn't 'zackly correct, IMHO.

The article posted as the 'source' for the following statement: "A while back, Dabo took an offer off the table to a kid, and very publicly stated that if ANY kid opted to visit another school after committing to Clemson the kids offer from Clemson would be revoked. He was very clear and concise on what he meant ... "

doesn't say that. He said it is a 'numbers' game and it was a possibility that if a player once offered by Clemson (and accepted by the player) continued to look around Clemson would also continue to look around and if they found another player the first guy's 'slot' might not still be there down the road. If Clemson actively 'pulls' an offer once extended it's probably a pretty good bet it won't be offered again. The only thing Swinney said that was 'clear and concise' was any player offered who accepted then CEASED looking WOULD BE SIGNED and not abandoned, even if another (better) player came along (I'm not aware of his ever being put to that test!) ... but that would be interesting to watch.

Dabo says enough dumb stuff on his own, we don't need to attribute things to him that he didn't say simply to try and make him look bad. All coaches do 'bout the same thing and they all want all the superstars they can get. What's "different" about program's (say Clemson v. 'Carolina) usually manifest itself as a 'character' issue ... though I think Swinney's done a much better job in that area the last year or two than he did when first starting out.

The HBC has done extremely well in that area since the day he arrived ... we haven't had many rotten eggs at all.

There may be some other 'clear and concise' statement/story somewhere that supports the OP's premise (like I said - "Ive heard that said about Dabo for a long time") but if so, it's' not that 2012 Greenville News story posted above.

I loved the part where dumbo said that if a kid wanted to commit, that he (dumbo) would try to talk him out of it. That's the BIGGEST lie (yet) that I have ever read that came out of his mouth!!

You mean if a 5 star wants to commit, he's going to try and talk him out of committing??? Yeah, I call BS on that one.

Last edited:
I loved the part where dumbo said that if a kid wanted to commit, that he (dumbo) would try to talk him out of it. That's the BIGGEST lie I have ever read that came out of his mouth!!

You mean if a 5 star wants to commit, he's going to try and talk him out of committing??? Yeah, I call BS on that one.

I agree with you kebo, that does sound like BS. Another part of the story that sounded 'odd' (though maybe it's just me) was Swinney's assertion that ONLY HE "can take commitments" from players.

Umm ... this or that tiger coach is on the road, let's say it's Clemson DC Venables visiting a 5* 6.1-graded 6'3"- 250# LB from San Antonio,Texas who runs a 4.6 forty and he says - "Coach, I want to play for YOU" ... what does the coach say; "well, I hope you can but before I can tell you if that's going to be possible you'll need to talk with Coach Swinney and give him your commitment, let me see if I can get him on the phone."

'Dabo Swinney." "Dabo, I'm putting you on speaker, I've got someone who wants to talk with you, his Dad's here, too." "Sure, go ahead."

"Coach, this is Parade, McDonald's, USA Today, Rivals, 247Sports, CBS and All-World Texas All-American Tommy and I want to play for Coach Venables."

"Yea, yea ... all you all-in?" "Huh?" "Are you all-in?" "What do you mean?" "Your brother plays for A&M doesn't he?" "Yes sir." "Well, you might want to visit him." "I am going to visit him, I'm going up there this weekend." "Well, that's what I mean. You might get up there Saturday and decide you want to play for A&M." "But I just told you I want to play for Coach Venables." "I know what you said but how do we know that's what you really want?" "But I already told Coach Venables that I want to play for him." "So what? I'm the ONLY person at Clemson who can accept commitments ... you need to commit to me and tell me that you're all-in." "What does that mean?" "It means you won't go to A&M this weekend 'cause you're all-in at Clemson." "I can't go visit my brother?" "No, but it's OK if he comes to visit you at Clemson, assuming you're all-in."

Yea, sure THAT goes on. That would be about the spot where Dad tells Dabo they don't get the 'all-in' channel in Texas ... they get the Longhorn Network and the SEC.

Dabo: "I actually try to talk kids out of committing"

Uhhhhhh......yeah......right........

Total BS. No coach tries to talk a kid out of committing. A coach MIGHT talk to a kid about making sure he is 100% before making a commitment, or I don't want you visiting other schools after a commitment to me or all bets are off, or something else to that, but he does not try to talk a 5* out of a commitment to their school. That goes against the very premise of what he is TRYING to do.

Dabo is full of himself. Have to turn the channel or station when he comes on. Big time cheerleader.

Cocktal, I am not sure why you started another thread on the same topic, but ok. Here is the thing....you say ,
"A while back, Dabo took an offer off the table to a kid, and very publicly
on what he meant"

(WHAT HE Said TO THAT KID about HIS OFFER. )Guy, I want ya, but i need to know that you are coming or I have to keeping looking for someone as good or better than you and I get one who's all in before you get done looking I sure can go a different way ....kid accepts an offer under those conditions and then takes visits , all bets are off.

Dabo WILL pull a scholly if it is given with the condition that it is contingent on no visits. Read all the recruits comments that say, Dabo told me to be sure before I commit do whatever I need to do. You want so bad to find something evil in Dabo that it clouds your understanding of facts. At the same time if you are a 5 star he isn't going to do that.

I am going to try and give you an opinion on this, but anticipate that it will be hammered pretty hard. Here is the real question , does Dabo have a rule about a committed athlete taking other visits? I would argue that he does have that rule , and applies it when it is needed to protect a recruiting class.

Thoughts
  • Dabo believes that each recruit brings a certain value to a class, and that all recruits are NOT of equal value to the class.
  • Dabo has a specific set of needs to fill for any given class based on team depth position etc.
  • There are many more 3 and low 4 star type kids than there are high 4's and 5's
  • Here is an example of where the rule applies - Example , you need a WR , and there is not a premier guy that you have a chance with Sammy Watkins etc) and you are in on 4 other kids that are pretty much of equal "value" on your board. You have to pick one to give that offer to.( Or, you can just offer them all like some other schools do, then piss off all but one of the guys when you can't take them.)
  • Why would you tell a recruit that you didn't want them to take any visits after they commit? because if there are 4 equal choices, you want the guy that is All IN.
  • If you have a shot at CJ Spiller Deshaun Watson Sammy Watkins....you are going to roll the dice and keep a slot.
  • It makes perfect sense to me, but then I am a poor dirt farmer from the upstate :)
Example:

Kitchen, that is exactly correct, but that is a two edged sword. If there are multiple guys , that are considered "equal" on the board , and you as one of them want to go to Clemson , but you want to take other visits:
  • Dabo says good for you don't commit to us yet, we sure would like to have you but not unless you are all in , we will keep after ya as long as we have spots to fill at your position and at your talent level.
  • Dabo also has offers to three other guys with the same talent and the same offer'\
  • One of those guys says , coach I am all in and I am not taking any more visiys , i want to commit I am ALL IN.
  • THen Kitchen comes back and says, Coach I had a great trip to USC , FSU OLE MISS and etc...but I am ready to Commit to be ALL IN to the tigers.
  • Dabo , replies to Kitchen . Man, do we wish you the best . While you were looking , we were looking too. We have commitments at the position you want a nd we don't have a scholly for ya...
Commitment is a 2-way street, and yes if you are a 5 Star you get to play the field more, and the guys that want you will keep sending the flowers.

What kind of coach (inferiority complex) forbids commits to visit other school? Our staff encourages them to commit AFTER they make all their visits. I would appreciate that as an athlete or a parent.

What kind of coach (inferiority complex) forbids commits to visit other school? Our staff encourages them to commit AFTER they make all their visits. I would appreciate that as an athlete or a parent.
The kind that sleeps with his mother.

Still not sure , where the confusion is ? The examples you post are where kids committed and knew what they meant . I am not sure what else you want the man to say, hey if you decide later yiu still want to come ... And we have a slot it's all good ... But we are not waiting on you. And to Feaster Sammy etc ... His offer was we are holding adopt for you. Different levels consistent rule. Dabo tells them what their commitment means to them"some" kids think they are "all that , when there are three more that are just as high on the list" first come first served
*cough* bs *cough* man sorry... Something irritated my throat... Must have been a touch of northwestern upstate cow patty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT