ADVERTISEMENT

Demetrius Henry transferring from USC...

well-bye-o.gif

I was never impressed; nevertheless, he was a warm body. What's our starting front court going to be in two seasons? The Lithuanians and Carrera will be gone. Desmond Ringer transferred out last season. Plus, the big kid who picked up the domestic violence charge never made into school.

Oh well, we should be loaded at point guard.

While some people always complain about him, I question how bad he could be given that he started for about half the season. I'm not entirely convinced that it was a disciplinary thing, either. If it was, why suspend him and leave the door open for a return? Why not just expel him out-right? My suspicion is that either he wasn't committed to the team enough or his grades weren't good, maybe both. I'm actually not super concerned about our depth in two years' time, only a little concerned. We lose one big man this year and three next, but we're bringing in three with our current class. As long as guys commit to the team and go "above and beyond" in practice we'll continue to improve. In any case, that's one transfer. We still need one more to fit in our recruiting class. I'd bet on Theus.

I thought Henry showed promise his freshman year. His issues seemed to be related to his lack of size. But going into his sophomore season I expected more from him. The only facet of his game he seemed to improve on was his free throw shooting. All other aspects of his game had not improved. He wasn't much of a re-bounder or shot blocker. Really he only had one go to move which was the base line jumper. For a 4-star power forward I had expected more. There were several games this past season where Frank could have possibly used him more but he was either injured or suspended. But then again when Frank did use him he seemed lost on the defensive end always constantly throwing his hands up looking at Frank Martin. When you have less heralded players like Carrera,Kacinas and Chat improving and out playing Henry his transfer was expected. The suspension made this call easy for Frank Martin. As far as grades are concerned he appears to be a good student because on twitter he posted a picture of an academic award that he received. Losing Desmond Ringer and Henry is not a huge loss because both players didn't add much in the post. Also both players couldn't seem to stay away from the cannabis. Chris Silva is major upgrade over both of those guys.

He improved his shooting and deserves some credit, but it his discipline issues are not something in his favor when we are looking for any excuse to upgrade the talent on this team.

This is not a shock but it is a blow to our front court. He was not masterful by any means, but he was a big body, he had some scoring ability, he was improving his FT shooting, and we just don't have enough guys with any size to make a difference in the front court right now. This hurts.

Chris Silva is his replacement. Silva can rebound, block shots and run the floor. Henry was a liability especially on defense.

Chris Silva is his replacement. Silva can rebound, block shots and run the floor. Henry was a liability especially on defense.

ESPN's scout grade for Silva is an 80. They gave Henry a grade of 79. Big loss that the coaching staff failed to turn DH into a productive big man. Now we're behind the eight ball, especially after next season, when it comes to low post play.

ESPN's scout grade for Silva is an 80. They gave Henry a grade of 79. Big loss that the coaching staff failed to turn DH into a productive big man. Now we're behind the eight ball, especially after next season, when it comes to low post play.
Let's hope that Silva can add weight a little quicker than Henry did. Henry just wasn't strong enough to play in the post in the SEC.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Its not the coaching staffs fault when someone who isn't committed isn't successful.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Its not the coaching staffs fault when someone who isn't committed isn't successful.

Henry wasn't a Darrin Horn recruit. He was recruited by the current staff. Ditto for Desmond Ringer. It's ultimately their responsibility if they don't start leading more committed horses to water.

Frank thought he could develop both guys. But Desmond Ringer lack athleticism and Henry lack size. Combine that with both guys loving the Cannabis this was not a good combination. You can't blame Frank for that.

The feeling I got from Ringer was that he was never really going to make it, and that he was recruited mainly to fill out the roster. I get the same vibe out of Reggie Theus. Really feel like people are being harsh on him.

As for Henry, it is notable that we started playing better almost immediately after he was suspended. This might be an addition by subtraction sort of thing where where we squeezed some poison out of the team. Not to say Henry is a bad guy, but if he really was a little lazy in his committment his attitude might have infected the team a little bit.

Reactions: garnet blood
The feeling I got from Ringer was that he was never really going to make it, and that he was recruited mainly to fill out the roster. I get the same vibe out of Reggie Theus. Really feel like people are being harsh on him.

As for Henry, it is notable that we started playing better almost immediately after he was suspended. This might be an addition by subtraction sort of thing where where we squeezed some poison out of the team. Not to say Henry is a bad guy, but if he really was a little lazy in his committment his attitude might have infected the team a little bit.

Henry was a solid player with a decent upside, the Silva kid is an upgrade,and hopefully we can get Bunch to sign,with the JUCO 7 Footer,we might be ok!! Good Luck Henry thanks for bein a Gamecock!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT