ADVERTISEMENT

Deshaun Watson vs Connor Mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoLongT

Dec 31, 2006
First off let me say I like Watson. He seems to be a good Qb. However just like every other Qb Clemson has had since Dabo has become coach he is way over hyped. They did it with Parker, Boyd and Stout and make not only Clemson fans but the whole country and even some Carolina fans believe he is better than he is. I mean good lord they had everybody thinking last year that Stout was a Heisman canidate lol. They have taken 1 throw that Watson threw against Georgia and turned it into him being the greatest Qb to ever play college football. If you look at the rest of his play it was average even for a Fr. They want to tell us that he beat us with 1 leg. Scott and Gallman and an all senior defense beat us because we couldn't stop the run or the pass rush. It wont be like that this year. And if there is 1 person Carolina or Clemson fan that really thinks Watson makes it half way threw the season without getting hurt raise their hand.

Now Mitch. Spurrier told this kid he was gonna stay till he graduated if he came to USC because he seen something in this kid. Now the way I have heard it when Mitch got here he still had a lot of young kid in him. He would rather play xbox than workout. From what I'm hearing now some of his teammates and his high school coach have challenged him to really get in the weight room and put in extra time with his recievers and on the playbook and he's done all of that. That's exactly what Spurrier was trying to get him to do. Anybody that knows Spurrier knows he would not mention your name if he didn't care. Look at Nos. Coach got where he wouldn't even say he was a Qb. There is no way Spurrier put in 3 years on a Qb with the tools Mitch has to start a true freshman or a walk on LMAO. That has to be the funniest thing I have heard yet. Spurrier is just making sure Mitch keeps working hard.

For some unknown reason there are still some Carolina and clemson fans who underestimate Coach Spurrier and overestimate Dabo. Don't buy in to all the Clemson hype that they will be anything but average after they lost all their defense and their offensive line. And trust Coach Spurrier to have our guys ready to compete at the highest level

Great post, so true about previous upstate qbs. I have high hopes for C. Mitch!

Sir, with all due respect Watson's resume goes farther than one pass against Georgia, he has about three full games that he played in North Carolina, NC State and he played three quarters of the Florida State game which Clemson should have won if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. I absolutely agree the key to this kid is him being able to stay healthy and stay on the field which he has not yet proven to be able to do, BUT if he is able to stay healthy there is no doubt in my mind that he will be one of the best quarterbacks in the country.

Now using your same analogy for Connor Mitch that you used for Watson the only game I remember seeing him play was I think it was against Furman and the hbc only let him play a couple of series because he was so horrible, I really hope that kid has a great career and gets better but I don't see his ceiling being as high as Watson...again with all due respect.

Sir, with all due respect Watson's resume goes farther than one pass against Georgia, he has about three full games that he played in North Carolina, NC State and he played three quarters of the Florida State game which Clemson should have won if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. I absolutely agree the key to this kid is him being able to stay healthy and stay on the field which he has not yet proven to be able to do, BUT if he is able to stay healthy there is no doubt in my mind that he will be one of the best quarterbacks in the country.

Now using your same analogy for Connor Mitch that you used for Watson the only game I remember seeing him play was I think it was against Furman and the hbc only let him play a couple of series because he was so horrible, I really hope that kid has a great career and gets better but I don't see his ceiling being as high as Watson...again with all due respect.

I'm not saying 1 is any better than the other. I'm really not even comparing the 2. It's just a statement about each Qb. We really have to wait and see how they do once the season starts. The only game I remember Clemson having to win with offense with Watson at Qb was the Fla St. game and he didn't do it. Let's see how he does when it's all on his shoulders and the other teams are waiting for him. Mitch has still been in our system for 3 years with a lot of practice reps. How much practice time has Watson really had in his 1 year at Clemson with all his injuries?

Reactions: BIGBOY66
I'm not saying 1 is any better than the other. I'm really not even comparing the 2. It's just a statement about each Qb. We really have to wait and see how they do once the season starts. The only game I remember Clemson having to win with offense with Watson at Qb was the Fla St. game and he didn't do it. Let's see how he does when it's all on his shoulders and the other teams are waiting for him. Mitch has still been in our system for 3 years with a lot of practice reps. How much practice time has Watson really had in his 1 year at Clemson with all his injuries?
When you put "vs" in your thread title, then you kinda are expected to say which is better. I agree with poster above, Watson is way better than Mitch at this point in time. This may hopefully change.

Reactions: Da Swami
I think you might be a bit "over sensitive" to Deshaun Watson's perceived hype. Dabo believes in his quarterback and unless you spend your time reading Clemson Tiger websites, the hype is at a normal level given the time of year it is. I'm not sure why this is continuously an issue with Gamecock fans? Anyway, right now the general consensus is that Clemson has a more proven option at this position. (Maybe not by much in your opinion and that's a fair comment as well). Let Connor Mitch and D. Watson play a few games before you start comparing them.

If I had a choice between Watson and Mitch I would take Watson.
I'm on the fence here given Watson's being injury prone. Spurrier could probably make him a really good Qb but let's not forget that Clemson is known all over the country as being 5* killers or even 4* for that matter. Name me 1 player for them that has lived up to the hype other than Hopkins or Watkins. Clemson fans will tell you Spiller but in my opinion and it's just my opinion I think Spiller would have won a Heisman if he had went to Florida plus he would have won a national championship. So I would think that would have to disappoint him a little. I think this season will come down to coaching and Clemson will lose that battle. I just don't think Watson is going to get the coaching at Clemson that he needs to be a good Qb. Letting him play with a torn ACL proved that. Again Clemson fans will tell you he couldn't hurt it any worse and that's bs. If you're just a step slower when you have to get out of trouble you can get hurt bad. I guess I should have made this thread Spurrier vs Dabo

Reactions: Tigerof66
Watson is very good. So is the guy they picked up from Wren.

As we saw with Shaw you don't have to have a rocket for an arm if you are smart with the ball. If mitch plays smart I think he will have a very good yr

Reactions: Da Swami
Mitch may be very good, or he could just be average. No one knows at this point, but we'll find out soon enough. As far as Watson goes, my eyes tell me that he is very talented. Great arm, cat like quickness. However, I also have a brain, and it tells me that the guy is as injury prone as they come. The kid's so fragile that he could break a finger signing an autograph and have to miss 3 games. I'd be very surprised if he plays a full season.

We'll get a good start on a comparison with your UNC game.

Watson was 27 for 36 passing for 435 yards and 6 TDs versus 1 INT and 28 yards rushing against UNC last year in his first start.

I'm trying to figure out what it will take a lot of you to admit Watson is a very good QB.

I admit George Rogers was an excellent runningback. He never scored against Clemson - but so what - neither did Hershel Walker and they are two of the best all time.

Watson has a lot of talent. He reminds me of Anthony Wright. However he had his ups and downs last season. He played really well against poor competition but he looked absolutely pitiful in one game that he got hurt, maybe the Louisville game.

Watson was 27 for 36 passing for 435 yards and 6 TDs versus 1 INT and 28 yards rushing against UNC last year in his first start.

I'm trying to figure out what it will take a lot of you to admit Watson is a very good QB.

I admit George Rogers was an excellent runningback. He never scored against Clemson - but so what - neither did Hershel Walker and they are two of the best all time.

U taters never admitted Shaw was a good QB until he graduated. Lol. It goes both ways

I may have been able to go 27 for 36 vs UNC last season. But I agree that Watson is talented. His injury problem stems a lot from Dabo rushing him into big boy football. I told my wife about this time last year that if CU played Watson he'd be hurt before the 4th game. Maybe this year and almost certainly next year he will have matured enough physically to withstand the punishment that we call college football.

Not same comparison. Teams change from year to year

ok I will say it ....Watson appears to be a very good qb....now I have a question....how many Clemson fans have you seen that will admit clowney was a great defensive end? most of you guys will insist Beasley was better...and we all know that is bs...

I think the real question is who is coaching/mentoring Watson at Clemson. Mitch had a year with Shaw and two years with Thompson. He may have been a rather insolent young man at the time, but the seeds were planted. Plus he has a heisman-winning HC to learn from. So... the real question is "Is Mitch coachable?"

Watson, on the other hand, has not had a mentor player to learn from, nor does he have the same caliber coaching him. So... the real question is "How far will Watson's natural talents take him?" That seems to have been a problem for Clemson with prior high-star recruits. And just putting together a team of these high-powered kids gets you to the top of a decent conference.

Let's make no mistakes about it, Clemson knows how to bring in the best talent. But their system is one of bring in the talent and let them play-especially with QBs. That may be changing somewhat, who really knows? If they can find some coaches that really teach, they will be much harder to beat.

Our system is different - it's more like the NFL. You're not going to star as a rookie - especially at QB - unless you can learn all the material quickly and impress the HC enough that you are ready.

Reactions: rpp2001 and GoLongT
For us to compete in the sec our qb has to be able run. Especially with the offense we run. unless we have a beast mode oline and a beast qb and stop running the read

For us to compete in the sec our qb has to be able run. Especially with the offense we run. unless we have a beast mode oline and a beast qb and stop running the read

We competed last year and Dylan was not a runner. Just saying

Why don't we just have a poll on FGF and TNET and have the results determine which QB is better as well as which team. That way we don't need to bother with playing the games. Saves a lot of wear and tear as well as tears. I come here hoping to learn a few things about Gamecock sports but its mostly just 95% conjecture and BS.

I meant to say win. We had our worst year in 5 or 6 years. And Dylan was probably the best passer we have had in a very long time.

Reactions: cockynSC66
Well maybe you need to understand what discussion forum you are on. That's what these forums are for. I'm not on the staff lol.

I'm on the fence here given Watson's being injury prone. Spurrier could probably make him a really good Qb but let's not forget that Clemson is known all over the country as being 5* killers or even 4* for that matter. Name me 1 player for them that has lived up to the hype other than Hopkins or Watkins. Clemson fans will tell you Spiller but in my opinion and it's just my opinion I think Spiller would have won a Heisman if he had went to Florida plus he would have won a national championship. So I would think that would have to disappoint him a little. I think this season will come down to coaching and Clemson will lose that battle. I just don't think Watson is going to get the coaching at Clemson that he needs to be a good Qb. Letting him play with a torn ACL proved that. Again Clemson fans will tell you he couldn't hurt it any worse and that's bs. If you're just a step slower when you have to get out of trouble you can get hurt bad. I guess I should have made this thread Spurrier vs Dabo

Known for being 5 star killers? How is that? I know of 1 5 star that didn't get drafted and that was Bellamy cause he was kicked out of Clemson as well as being kicked out of a few more schools. most of our 5 stars have went 1st round and you can't say we killed Spillers career. He was beloved in college football, broke a bunch of Clemson and NCAA records and went 8th overall in the draft. If you say we killed his career cause he didn't win a National Championship and heisman then I could come back and say you killed Clowney's career cause he didn't win a National Championship and Heisman. That's a bad way to say you killed someone career by not winning a national championship. Clowney could have went anyway he wanted to and he could have won a National Championship same as Spiller and most other 5 star players.

Also No way you can actually believe with what we all have to go one right now that Mitch is better than Watson? I mean that one Georgia pass didn't count for the 14 TDs and 1600 passing yds. You can't say it's against weak comp either cause the only comp Mitch had was against Furman and he got pulled after going 2-6 for like 20 yds. Now I'm not saying Mitch can't be a good QB. He could turn out to be your next Shaw. But what you have to go on right now to compare him to Watson is absurd.

One poster asserts Watson is better than Mitch, another said given the choice he'd take Watson. Maybe I missed it but I haven't watched Mitch under pressure and saw some things Watson didn't do all that well when he was pressured - how can anyone know enough at this moment to compare the two?

Watson didn't 'beat' South Carolina Clemson simply ran all over us and we never got to Watson once. Our D-line play was probably 90% of our troubles in 2014 - not just with Clemson but everybody. Good lord, we gave up nearly 6-yards per rush and 425+ yards per game on defense last year. From Top-20 defense to "we're going to need wider columns to insert this data" defense. We arm-tackled, missed tackles and though our DB's WERE actually pretty good they can't stop the other guys if we're 'rotating' one way and the receivers are flooding the field where we ain't.

Sometimes, LOTS of times our defense looked like the ribs of an umbrella with no cover on it and people were 'pouring it on us' from everywhere.

Let's no worry 'bout Watson or any other sumb%$ch out there one-whit 'fore we address the stuff we need to fix. We (totally contrary to MANY posters opinion) RECRUITED some excellent players to fix lots of our problems, and other 'problems' were addressed with added experience and the re-dedication of guys we already have.

Clemson has their OWN problems and MANY question marks. I could care LESS how they address their stuff, but to think they can hang it all on Watson is stupid, so let 'em be stupid.

Dabo's got trouble on the O-line, the D-line, in his secondary and on special teams - his kicker's a cocaine user (0.4 grams ain't a 'recreational' hit) and right now given the current state of 'policing' in America - what happens to the kid might not even be Dabo's call ... the Pickens County D.A. best start letting EVERYBODY 'off' for cocaine if he passes on prosecuting that case.

Fix our D-line, run the clock, make 1st downs and 'bomb' 'em now and then and we'll be just fine. If we can work in a few quick 'tackles for loss' against UNC it should set the tone for our entire season. Watson is the LAST guy I'm thinking about.

If we simply MAKE TACKLES the 'amazing' Watson! will be all alone at the end of the Clemson bench with a towel over his head ... JUST LIKE Spiller.

Reactions: 4theluvofgamecocks
I think the real question is who is coaching/mentoring Watson at Clemson. Mitch had a year with Shaw and two years with Thompson. He may have been a rather insolent young man at the time, but the seeds were planted. Plus he has a heisman-winning HC to learn from. So... the real question is "Is Mitch coachable?"

Watson, on the other hand, has not had a mentor player to learn from, nor does he have the same caliber coaching him. So... the real question is "How far will Watson's natural talents take him?" That seems to have been a problem for Clemson with prior high-star recruits. And just putting together a team of these high-powered kids gets you to the top of a decent conference.

Let's make no mistakes about it, Clemson knows how to bring in the best talent. But their system is one of bring in the talent and let them play-especially with QBs. That may be changing somewhat, who really knows? If they can find some coaches that really teach, they will be much harder to beat.

Our system is different - it's more like the NFL. You're not going to star as a rookie - especially at QB - unless you can learn all the material quickly and impress the HC enough that you are ready.

I think he will be fine with Brandon Streeter as his QB coach. He did a great job in Richmond as their OC and was one tough SOB during his playing days at Clemson.

First off let me say I like Watson. He seems to be a good Qb. However just like every other Qb Clemson has had since Dabo has become coach he is way over hyped. They did it with Parker, Boyd and Stout and make not only Clemson fans but the whole country and even some Carolina fans believe he is better than he is. I mean good lord they had everybody thinking last year that Stout was a Heisman canidate lol. They have taken 1 throw that Watson threw against Georgia and turned it into him being the greatest Qb to ever play college football. If you look at the rest of his play it was average even for a Fr. They want to tell us that he beat us with 1 leg. Scott and Gallman and an all senior defense beat us because we couldn't stop the run or the pass rush. It wont be like that this year. And if there is 1 person Carolina or Clemson fan that really thinks Watson makes it half way threw the season without getting hurt raise their hand.

Now Mitch. Spurrier told this kid he was gonna stay till he graduated if he came to USC because he seen something in this kid. Now the way I have heard it when Mitch got here he still had a lot of young kid in him. He would rather play xbox than workout. From what I'm hearing now some of his teammates and his high school coach have challenged him to really get in the weight room and put in extra time with his recievers and on the playbook and he's done all of that. That's exactly what Spurrier was trying to get him to do. Anybody that knows Spurrier knows he would not mention your name if he didn't care. Look at Nos. Coach got where he wouldn't even say he was a Qb. There is no way Spurrier put in 3 years on a Qb with the tools Mitch has to start a true freshman or a walk on LMAO. That has to be the funniest thing I have heard yet. Spurrier is just making sure Mitch keeps working hard.

For some unknown reason there are still some Carolina and clemson fans who underestimate Coach Spurrier and overestimate Dabo. Don't buy in to all the Clemson hype that they will be anything but average after they lost all their defense and their offensive line. And trust Coach Spurrier to have our guys ready to compete at the highest level

Not really... Watson was going up against brilliant defensive coordinator Ward who didn't blitz on every down...

I pin that loss on Ward and not how great of a player Watson was on one leg...

I think he will be fine with Brandon Streeter as his QB coach. He did a great job in Richmond as their OC and was one tough SOB during his playing days at Clemson.

He'll be fine with Streeter as his QB coach? Huh?
Allow me to parse your claims.
"He did a GREAT JOB as OC at Richmond" ... Duh, with Streeter as the OC last year Richmond lost to 'powerhouses' New Hampshire, James Madison, Maine and Coastal Carolina (AND others) - where they barely scored into the 20's against any of those 'powerful' defenses ... and Richmond didn't score but 15 points against CCU.
Fortunately, Richmond's 'ugly' loss to UVA in 61,500 seat Scott Stadium was only witnessed by 34,000 fans ... though Streeter's 'Spiders' did help set a Guinness 'World Record" for the most bow-ties (and pink dress shirts) EVER at any single sporting event; which the British have vowed to break by compelling EVERYONE to wear bow-ties rather than ascots and next year's Wembly pre-match cocktail party ... so his 'glory' might be short-lived there.
" ... he (Streeter) was one tough SOB during his playing days at Clemson."
That must have been 'practice' tough 'cause in the 13 games played his senior year Streeter only played in eight of them starting seven while throwing 4 TD's and 9 interceptions. He DID 'supplement' that premo-production by running the football ... with 43 carries that gained 37 yards.
What Streeter DID accomplish was to earn All-ACC 'Academic' ... so he could turn out to be another Tommy Lasorta-type coach - 'I know it when I see it' but just never could 'do it'.
Streeter IS a smart guy, but to call his performance at Richmond 'GREAT' or to 'tiger-ROAR' 'bout what a 'tough SOB' he was when he didn't even appear in but 8 of 13 games ... I call "hyperbole" on that 'offense'.

Reactions: rpp2001
Holy shite! The level of ignorance on this board is beyond comical! There is no comparison. Mitch is a senior and STILL hasn't been named the starting QB. He couldn't even manage clean up duty vs FURMAN!! The lack of football IQ on this board is incredible. There is NO comparison. Watson is head and shoulders better than that scrub. Even Thompson got named the starter before the season started! This is the dumbest post I've ever read!

Holy shite! The level of ignorance on this board is beyond comical! There is no comparison. Mitch is a senior and STILL hasn't been named the starting QB. He couldn't even manage clean up duty vs FURMAN!! The lack of football IQ on this board is incredible. There is NO comparison. Watson is head and shoulders better than that scrub. Even Thompson got named the starter before the season started! This is the dumbest post I've ever read!

If this is the dumbest post you ever read! Then you took the time post the dumbest response...

Last edited:
If I had a choice between Watson and Mitch I would take Watson.

The best QB by statistics in the state of South Carolina last year was Dylan Thompson and if he had a defense to back him up, he would have won more games than Watson and Stout also.

The best game played by a Clemson QB last season was Stout in the bowl game against Oklahoma.

Watson is not depndable because he is injury prone and

Holy shite! The level of ignorance on this board is beyond comical! There is no comparison.
Mitch is a senior and STILL hasn't been named the starting QB. He couldn't even manage clean up duty vs FURMAN!! The lack of football IQ on this board is incredible. There is NO comparison. Watson is head and shoulders better than that scrub. Even Thompson got named the starter before the season started! This is the dumbest post I've ever read!

Who is really dumb? Come here with facts and you might get some respect.

Reactions: CockaDude-a-Dude
Who is really dumb? Come here with facts and you might get some respect.

Statistically...Dylan Thompson was the best QB in the state of SC last season and if he had a defense backing him up, he would have won more games.

Mitch will be a good QB because he is an excellent passer and will have a great running game to balance the offense.

Mitch is a RS Sophmore. Get your facts straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT