ADVERTISEMENT

Kaiwan Lewis: 'There were a lot of things that happened here (USC) . . .

67gamecock

Oct 3, 2000
Lexington, SC
in my final year that I was not pleased with that I don't think were handled exactly the right way . . . I feel like I put everything on the table. I feel like I held up my end of the deal. I am thankful for the opportunity coach Steve Spurrier gave me here. I definitely don't have any problem with coach Spurrier. A FEW OF US HAD THE SAME REASONS THAT WE DID THINGS AS FAR AS DEFENSIVELY.'

The above quote is from an article in The State this morning. Lewis was interviewed with several other players who are transferring to other schools under the NCAA's fifth year transfer eligibility rule.

What things were not handled 'the right way'? What was Lewis and 'a few of us' doing 'defensively'? Anyone know what he's referring to?

I may read more into that last sentence than what is really meant. But, the vindictive side tells me that he and a few others may have done some sabotaging intentionally.

I may read more into that last sentence than what is really meant. But, the vindictive side tells me that he and a few others may have done some sabotaging intentionally.

. . . and/or THEIR way of playing Defense - which was far from acceptable this past season.

I think we will see a 'new' Defense this Fall. Not just personnel-wise, but in Attitude, Focus, Team Play and the bottom line - better stats and more wins. that's JMO.

There's a difference between "intentional sabotage" and not being willing to risk injury through effort. Not a huge difference, but one nonetheless. Important to note.

in my final year that I was not pleased with that I don't think were handled exactly the right way . . . I feel like I put everything on the table. I feel like I held up my end of the deal. I am thankful for the opportunity coach Steve Spurrier gave me here. I definitely don't have any problem with coach Spurrier. A FEW OF US HAD THE SAME REASONS THAT WE DID THINGS AS FAR AS DEFENSIVELY.'

The above quote is from an article in The State this morning. Lewis was interviewed with several other players who are transferring to other schools under the NCAA's fifth year transfer eligibility rule.

What things were not handled 'the right way'? What was Lewis and 'a few of us' doing 'defensively'? Anyone know what he's referring to?
How about they werent making any plays.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
i agree with bong; a shot at the def. coaches & scheme. i thought lewis was a good player. maybe his diminished playing time had alot to do with him being vocal about the crappy defensive play-calling. certainly echoes what many fans complained about this past season. i wish lewis the best this upcoming season. he will always be a gamecock.

i agree with bong; a shot at the def. coaches & scheme. i thought lewis was a good player. maybe his diminished playing time had alot to do with him being vocal about the crappy defensive play-calling. certainly echoes what many fans complained about this past season. i wish lewis the best this upcoming season. he will always be a gamecock.
How about hes just not that good. And was told he would be 3rd string behind BAW.

Wasn't it also said by some of the players this year, that some players were doing their own thing rather than their responsibilities on defense? If so, I wonder if Lewis may have fallen into this category at times.

Botkin complained about the development of the linebackers after the season without a hint of irony. First, he's getting paid a pile of money and they're not. Second, he was coaching high school when ward hired him. His previous stint was getting canned at his alma mater. So, he should shut his mouth about college kids and accomplish something before running his mouth about player development.

It's hard to tell how bad the LB's were last year because the DL was so bad. I always took exception to the fact that the coaches were saying "lack of talent" on defense. That's no way to inspire the crew you have. The lack of talent last year was certainly in the coaching.

2 years ago the LB corps was the most improved and helped win the whatever bowl against Wisconsin. I really don't think it's Botkin (but what the heck do I know). It really seems more like Ward "scheme/ideas" and the putrid development of the DL.

Is Lewis saying this is why he left? Or was he gone anyway? D can't really be much worse than last year, but if they're not better, prepare yourself for the "Muschamp!" crowd much like the "Marshall!" crowd we hear in basketball.

It's hard to tell how bad the LB's were last year because the DL was so bad. I always took exception to the fact that the coaches were saying "lack of talent" on defense. That's no way to inspire the crew you have. The lack of talent last year was certainly in the coaching.

2 years ago the LB corps was the most improved and helped win the whatever bowl against Wisconsin. I really don't think it's Botkin (but what the heck do I know). It really seems more like Ward "scheme/ideas" and the putrid development of the DL.

Is Lewis saying this is why he left? Or was he gone anyway? D can't really be much worse than last year, but if they're not better, prepare yourself for the "Muschamp!" crowd much like the "Marshall!" crowd we hear in basketball.
So he was just like every other coach we had. I am not saying our LB corp is stellar far from it. But when compared to how putrid our DL and secondary were they looked halfway decent.

the entire defense was a train wreck.....i think this season we will see a huge difference, but then again we have no place to go but up....cant get much worse than what i saw

Our D last year was like one of these plane crashes you see on tv. It's rarely just one thing. It's a whole string of bad events that happen pretty much at the same time. Whammy was the Captain of that disaster. Maybe he will be more fortunate than the Captains of the planes, and he will have the good fortune of seeing how he flew it into the side of a mountain. I think we have the personnel, and coaching to be much improved.

Our D last year was like one of these plane crashes you see on tv. It's rarely just one thing. It's a whole string of bad events that happen pretty much at the same time. Whammy was the Captain of that disaster. Maybe he will be more fortunate than the Captains of the planes, and he will have the good fortune of seeing how he flew it into the side of a mountain. I think we have the personnel, and coaching to be much improved.
Whatever makes you feel good, I guess.

Last year was the direct result of no recruiting since Clowney plus a severe lack of coaching and training. Any conversation other than those 2 topics is just fans talking BS.

Reactions: cockgun
Whatever makes you feel good, I guess.

Last year was the direct result of no recruiting since Clowney plus a severe lack of coaching and training. Any conversation other than those 2 topics is just fans talking BS.
Why can't people understand this? We had no pass rush, because we had NO physical specimens that could beat their blocks. D linemen staying engaged with O lineman and getting whipped at the LOS, allows QBs to do whatever they want, all day long.

Why can't people understand this? We had no pass rush, because we had NO physical specimens that could beat their blocks. D linemen staying engaged with O lineman and getting whipped at the LOS, allows QBs to do whatever they want, all day long.
I've been saying this since the beginning last season. It's both coaching and lack of talent. Lots of coaches and other experts that know the game of football are saying we have a good chance of being much better on defense because of a simpler 4-3 scheme and the players with talent that fit right in. The biggest concern I see is QB. Whoever gets the nod is going to be thrown into the water and hopefully he'll know how to swim and swim well.

I've been saying this since the beginning last season. It's both coaching and lack of talent. Lots of coaches and other experts that know the game of football are saying we have a good chance of being much better on defense because of a simpler 4-3 scheme and the players with talent that fit right in. The biggest concern I see is QB. Whoever gets the nod is going to be thrown into the water and hopefully he'll know how to swim and swim well.

Very well said.

We seem to have one hell of a hard time fielding a good offence and defence in the same year! We were real
close in 11,12,and13. I think you have to be very good, but also very lucky!

ADVERTISEMENT