ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly's messy exit

AltoonaSteve

Silver Member
Nov 22, 2021
Players found out he was leaving via social media and online news reports. Kelly had to send a late night text to the team to apologize for how they found out, but he's at least meeting with the team this morning. Worse, his assistants and the ND administration were completely out of the loop. As far as anyone knew, Kelly was out recruiting...instead he was finalizing his deal with LSU...and he apparently ghosted his assistants in the final hours. Meanwhile, his assistants were actually out recruiting. Per one assistant who was out recruiting: "the news broke when I walked out of the house, so I look like a f*cking a**hole."

Players found out he was leaving via social media and online news reports. Kelly had to send a late night text to the team to apologize for how they found out, but he's at least meeting with the team this morning. Worse, his assistants and the ND administration were completely out of the loop. As far as anyone knew, Kelly was out recruiting...instead he was finalizing his deal with LSU...and he apparently ghosted his assistants in the final hours. Meanwhile, his assistants were actually out recruiting. Per one assistant who was out recruiting: "the news broke when I walked out of the house, so I look like a f*cking a**hole."
$100m though….

I'm guessing that last boy you quoted won't be going with him to Baton Rouge. It was probably a dynamic situation between Kelly and LSU. Anyhow, now they've got pandemonium. I love it. The more of it I see, the better I like it. What a great time this is!

I'm guessing that last boy you quoted won't be going with him to Baton Rouge. It was probably a dynamic situation between Kelly and LSU. Anyhow, now they've got pandemonium. I love it. The more of it I see, the better I like it. What a great time this is!

I enjoy it all as well, but I'm glad we've got who we've got. Really like Beamer.

At least he didn’t have to be told to meet with his players. This is just part of the issue with the instant media access now.

Reactions: AltoonaSteve
I don't feel bad for players these days...just look at the portal and you would have zero sympathy. College Football is now a billion dollar business and it's now being treated as such...As Norm would say, "It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing milkbone underwear".

This is true. I more look at it from the assistants perspective. Any head coach with even a shred of integrity would give his assistants a heads up. Or, at the least, not send them out on the road to recruit players to come play for YOU while you are at the same time finalizing a deal to leave the school. That's just icky.

This is true. I more look at it from the assistants perspective. Any head coach with even a shred of integrity would give his assistants a heads up. Or, at the least, not send them out on the road to recruit players to come play for YOU while you are at the same time finalizing a deal to leave the school. That's just icky.
I’m sure that move will have some repercussions…

Pretty standard. I'd play basketball with guys and have BBQs at their houses and boom. Gone. Someone's fired or found another job. They bolt overnight, leaving kids to finish the school year and wives to pack houses. Those guys are mercenaries.

Its the new normal

Would you tell your company and the people that report to you that you were looking for another job?

No.

The last time I changed jobs, I discovered how difficult this process can be and there is no right way to do it.

You have to protect yourself by keeping it secret until everything is fully completed - and in the coaching world- nothing is really ever complete until you are a few weeks into the job.

You don't want to cause confusion and you don't want to hurt yourself.

The best thing you can do is keep totally silent about it as long as possible so that you don't have to lie about anything to protect yourself.

About 10 years ago, I resigned right near Christmas from my job- when most of my coworkers were already out on personal leave for the holidays. I had been negotiating with a company for a few months and finally made the decision. I waited until the end of the year so that I could finish up some things and it was better for my new employer if i started right after the holidays.

I remember being very confused as to how to resign properly as I work in the field and my boss was in another state. But I knew my coworkers would have to cover for me so I was worried about them.

I finally called my supervisor and told him with the full knowledge he might tell me to stop seeing any clients and to go ahead and not work anymore- even though I was giving a 2 week notice.

Thankfully, he thought enough of me to allow me to work out my 2 weeks because he trusted that I wouldn't be trying to hurt the company. (apparently this is a concern for a lot of supervisors).

The oddest part was that I drove to our regional office - over 3.5 hours away to turn in some of my equipment and almost no one was in the office because of it was getting close to Christmas. It's not as if I wanted to say goodbye to everyone as I had already done that via email and phone calls to my fellow field workers. But it felt odd.

I've come to believe there is no really correct or smooth way to do this- and the higher up you go- the harder it can be to make it smooth.

What I would have done - and what I have done- is I have personally called my closest coworkers the day before I offered my resignation so they knew about it.

IN this case, Kelly could have easily done that and should have done so.

His team wasn’t even in the playoffs.

Defending him sticking around is ridiculous. It showed he couldn’t make the hard decisions because he’s a people pleaser. That indecision is in full effect with him not firing Satterfield yet.
Conference championship.....

Attacking his decision is immature and petty. But then again....it's you.

giphy.gif

Defending him sticking around is ridiculous. It showed he couldn’t make the hard decisions because he’s a people pleaser. That indecision is in full effect with him not firing Satterfield yet.
It was mere days before the quiet period. In person visits were still not allowed. He could do everything from Oklahoma that he could from Columbia. Much ado about nothing and par for the course with your comments.

These things happen everywhere. It’s not easy leaving a place and people are always hurt and get upset. Now the media and fans just love these issues. Brian Kelly isn’t the first person to be speaking with another school while some people didn’t know. He won’t be the last. It’s the business and it’s silly that people get so mad. Disappointed…I get.

IN this case, Kelly could have easily done that and should have done so.
Seems he should have thought all of this through before it happened.
The big hitter is ND still has a chance at the NC if they get into the playoffs.
That's a low blow to his players and the program.

Beamer to Oklahoma sounds like a reach, but the rumors are spreading. If Beamer walks, will Tanner call Chadwell?
I can’t imagine Beamer would go to Oklahoma. If he does, they had a hard time finding a coach.

But I’m sure Chadwell would get a call. Though you have to wonder if there is something ADs see in him that raises concerns. One would think he’d have another job or be in other major discussions at this point.

Nobody leaves a team while they are in the playoffs [edit: post-season] unless they are released (i.e., doing more harm than good by staying). The entire profession is based on relationships and it would have been a bad move for him to bolt.

Also, for the 1,000th time, it was COVID and it's not like he could meet with anyone anyway. Telephones work in Norman as well as they do in Columbia.

I think this is more a testament to your agenda than a reflection on the merits of Beamer's decision.

Last edited:
Beamer to Oklahoma sounds like a reach, but the rumors are spreading. If Beamer walks, will Tanner call Chadwell?
IMO - Beamer isn't going anywhere. All of these rumors are circulating/circulated by sports media gossipheads who are IMO doing drivebys to get clicks and retweets, etc. If he ends up back at Oklahoma, I'll be stunned.

Nobody leaves a team while they are in the playoffs unless they are released (i.e., doing more harm than good by staying). The entire profession is based on relationships and it would have been a bad move for him to bolt.

Also, for the 1,000th time, it was COVID and it's not like he could meet with anyone anyway. Telephones work in Norman as well as they do in Columbia.

I think this is more a testament to your agenda than a reflection on the merits of Beamer's decision.
The fact your argument starts with a false statement of fact should make you realize your argument isn't well constructed.

The word “loyalty” is no more. Coaches leave players and assistants and their universities with little thought or warning. Money talks louder. Players leave their coaches and teams and enter the portal, and sit out bowl games leaving their teams hanging so they will be healthy for the combine. Fans turn on their teams as soon as something doesn’t suit them.

And it’s not just in sports. The world is ate up with disloyalty, from politics to the family unit.

Reactions: chief2791
The fact your argument starts with a false statement of fact should make you realize your argument isn't well constructed.
It's not a false statement. Start naming the guys who left? Every year is filled with the ESPN personal narrative stories of the coaches coaching all day and calling players recruiting all night.

You just always need to be the #1 drama queen in every thread.

It's not a false statement. Start naming the guys who left? Every year is filled with the ESPN personal narrative stories of the coaches coaching all day and calling players recruiting all night.

It's absolutely a false statement of fact that Oklahoma was in the playoffs last year.

It's hard to take anything else you say seriously with you getting such a simple, objective fact wrong.

Name me one head coach who left for a better job where the fans or the school he left thought he did it in a classy way.

Only one I can think of is Mike Young with Wofford BB going to VaTech

It's absolutely a false statement of fact that Oklahoma was in the playoffs last year.

It's hard to take anything else you say seriously with you getting such a simple, objective fact wrong.
Well, you did get me on that one. Multi-tasking is a myth.

Here you go....it's fixed.

Nobody leaves a team while they are in the post-season unless they are released (i.e., doing more harm than good by staying). The entire profession is based on relationships and it would have been a bad move for him to bolt.

Start naming the guys who left? Every year is filled with the ESPN personal narrative stories of the coaches coaching all day and calling players recruiting all night.

Well, you did get me on that one. Multi-tasking is a myth.

Here you go....it's fixed.

Nobody leaves a team while they are in the post-season unless they are released (i.e., doing more harm than good by staying). The entire profession is based on relationships and it would have been a bad move for him to bolt.

Start naming the guys who left? Every year is filled with the ESPN personal narrative stories of the coaches coaching all day and calling players recruiting all night.

My only agenda is to become a winning program again. If you're content with losing to Clemson 30-0, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Arguing that a TE coach needed to stick around for meaningless Big 12 championship game is ridiculous. Maybe there would be come credibility if he was a coordinator, but he was a TE coach.

It isn't about what difference it would have made in the short, it was the image it showed. That image is playing out right in front of you with the OC situation right now.

My only agenda is to become a winning program again. If you're content with losing to Clemson 30-0, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Arguing that a TE coach needed to stick around for meaningless Big 12 championship game is ridiculous. Maybe there would be come credibility if he was a coordinator, but he was a TE coach.

It isn't about what difference it would have made in the short, it was the image it showed. That image is playing out right in front of you with the OC situation right now.
1. You're definition on becoming a "winning program" is based on your own uneducated opinions. You are quick to react and attack.

2. He was more than the TE coach. As one of the Assistant Head Coaches, he had more responsibility than just TEs. No one knows what that responsibility entailed but it was obviously enough that he was so well thought of in Oklahoma that they have on the replacement list and would definitely have been the interim HC if he stayed (per reports from Oklahoma media).

3. The OC situation has nothing to do with image. That's a reach. He could hire assistants while working in Norman and either (1) wanted Bob for continuity or (2) had Bobo forced on him to save money. The image has to do with you not liking the hire and wanting something immediately to latch on to to justify your criticism.

Reactions: yankacock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT