ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
This flooding in eastern Kentucky is awful. The pictures are very disturbing.

Our church did a mission trip to this area a few years ago. It's a different world in a number of ways. Very poor folks so this is even more tragic for people that didn't have much anyway and it's very unlikely many of them have insurance. A lot of these folks won't accept any help from anyone so this is even more tragic.

The death toll is rising. I have heard that the state will be paying for the funerals for those families that are interested.

I am reading that some historic Appalachian history documents may have been destroyed.

The materials in its archives cover nearly a century of life and work in the region, according to Appalshop, including coal mining, labor strikes, religious practices, out-migration, farming, traditional folk arts, musicians, storytellers, politics, and environmental activism. Dee Davis, who worked at Appalshop for 25 years and whose wife, filmmaker Mimi Pickering, works there, called the archive “precious cargo” in an NPR interview this week. “That’s — those are the stories of miners and quilters and people who have built this place and learned the lessons the hard way,” said Davis, now president of Center for Rural Strategies. “And it’s really important information. And it’s a treasure.”

H47Q3UXKPRBSRGDLJWVBM4WN2M.jpg

Last edited:
Sad. Floods happen - but these scientist clowns also need to stop cloud seeding. They have caused major issues worldwide with this dangerous experimentation.

Reactions: cocks rule
Sad. Floods happen - but these scientist clowns also need to stop cloud seeding. They have caused major issues worldwide with this dangerous experimentation.
Had never heard of cloud seeding before? So frustrating. Why are these people recklessly performing experiments on the world? If you listen to any level headed scientist, they will readily admit that Mother Nature is boss and what we know is probably still less than 1% of the big picture. This is true inside of human cells, inside of the ocean and throughout our environment in general. Enough with the mad scientist routine.

Had never heard of cloud seeding before? So frustrating. Why are these people recklessly performing experiments on the world? If you listen to any level headed scientist, they will readily admit that Mother Nature is boss and what we know is probably still less than 1% of the big picture. This is true inside of human cells, inside of the ocean and throughout our environment in general. Enough with the mad scientist routine.

Cloud seeding is perfectly legitimate science - but there is zero evidence it has anything to do with this flooding except with conspiracy theory crazies- and even most of them wouldn't attribute this flooding with such a thing.

Even the companies that produce the material used in cloud seeding admit to it's "marginal" effect.

Plus, it doesn't create clouds out of thin air where they are none.

Cloud seeding is perfectly legitimate science - but there is zero evidence it has anything to do with this flooding except with conspiracy theory crazies- and even most of them wouldn't attribute this flooding with such a thing.

Even the companies that produce the material used in cloud seeding admit to it's "marginal" effect.

Plus, it doesn't create clouds out of thin air where they are none.
Isn't this how our discussion began about the vaccines? You blindly believed they were "safe and effective" just because health officials and Pfizer were stating that. Think of all of the "fact checker" sites you posted along the way, as if that meant anything?

"We were told..." - How many times have we heard that phrase throughout history?

There's plenty of evidence cloud seeding is problematic. You don't screw with Mother Nature, Dave.

So....if you folks haven't noticed, I've nuked every thread that turns political. This one isn't quite there yet, but just checking in as a reminder. If we can't keep politics out of these threads I will have to start giving some of you a vacation from the site to think about it.

Kentucky has been devastated. A cataclysmic tornado and a catastrophic flood in less than a year. Watching the news yesterday, their imminent needs is getting bottled water to the victims.

Kentucky has been devastated. A cataclysmic tornado and a catastrophic flood in less than a year. Watching the news yesterday, their imminent needs is getting bottled water to the victims.

and they poorest part of the state- the part that could least withstand anything like this - which is one of the poorest areas in the United States - is the part getting further obliterated

not to mention all the deaths. It's awful.

During our mission trip, some of the kids we met didn't go to school- any school. Their parents didn't believe in school- and I mean any school- NONE. They couldn't read at all. It was pitiful. These were kids that were 7-10 years old. These were some kids that were unruly and could not follow any directions at all. They were a challenge that even one of the experienced special education teachers we had with us in our group could not handle.

Their families had nothing and this is the area that is getting all the devastation.

Looks like most of those flooded areas were all founded up against a river. This disaster has a chance to repeat in many places that are close to rivers.

As a note to anyone buying a home: always ask where's the high ground.

"We were told..." - How many times have we heard that phrase throughout history?
We were told …. for centuries by the scientific community that the earth was flat, that the earth was the center of the universe, that butterfat was bad for your health, that the vaccine would keep you from getting the virus, that bloodletting is a great cure …. on and on we could go with a long list. Science is not “the facts.” It is an ongoing process. Nothing that science says is the final answer.

Reactions: bucketdad and TAV31
It's not good for you. It's saturated fat. In moderation, it would be ok for some people.
Other research has shown no significant association between consuming saturated fat and mortality from cardiovascular disease or any other cause. In fact, researchers found an increased risk of death from high carbohydrate diets instead (11Trusted Source).

Reactions: tngamecock#
Are butter debates like political debates? I mean, just watch it!

Maybe so. I can only answer for myself. Mostly (not totally- moderation) saturated fats helps me keep my weight in the 172-175 range in my 50s. It also has helped me keep my blood work numbers in good shape.

But if people want to eat a lot of saturated fats, that’s their right and choice. Hopefully, it works for them.

But if you actually go read one of the studies that article you linked references, this is what it says...

“ The findings of this updated review suggest that reducing saturated fat intake for at least two years causes a potentially important reduction in combined cardiovascular events. Replacing the energy from saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat or carbohydrate appear to be useful strategies, while effects of replacement with monounsaturated fat are unclear.

The reduction in combined cardiovascular events resulting from reducing saturated fat did not alter by study duration, sex or baseline level of cardiovascular risk, but greater reduction in saturated fat caused greater reductions in cardiovascular events.”

Are butter debates like political debates? I mean, just watch it!

I will add though, it’s proof that after a certain age, most everyone you know just wants to argue about anything and everything.

I think that is why there are so many studies now saying men after a certain age don't have many friends. They argue about everything and disagree about fundamental things.

My friendships develop around shared values. I still have friends.
Growing up, my mother used to say “ learn to pick your friends “. That didn’t really sink in for years. Now I know what she meant. I have less “friends “ but more real friends because I have learned to discern the difference

Reactions: chief2791
Growing up, my mother used to say “ learn to pick your friends “. That didn’t really sink in for years. Now I know what she meant. I have less “friends “ but more real friends because I have learned to discern the difference
Life barely allows for friends. Haha. I'm too damn busy working, raising a family, and then I prefer to hunt/fish alone. 😁 Except for the few really really close friends.

Life barely allows for friends. Haha. I'm too damn busy working, raising a family, and then I prefer to hunt/fish alone. 😁 Except for the few really really close friends.
What would you do if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me?

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31

I agree. Just no time.

In the 1970s, all these doctor/scientists came out saying milk with any kind of butterfat (cow’s milk) was bad for you. Said to go to soy milk and such. Many dairy farmers went out of business (my family being one of them) as the demand for cow’s milk decreased and prices sank. Some 20-25 years later they changed that opinion and said the body needs some butterfat. So I guess the farmers that went out of business over their previous opinion were just SOL. Since that time I listen to “science” in a very different and questionable way. Can’t trust science no more than a politician. It is an ever changing field.

In the 1970s, all these doctor/scientists came out saying milk with any kind of butterfat (cow’s milk) was bad for you. Said to go to soy milk and such. Many dairy farmers went out of business (my family being one of them) as the demand for cow’s milk decreased and prices sank. Some 20-25 years later they changed that opinion and said the body needs some butterfat. So I guess the farmers that went out of business over their previous opinion were just SOL. Since that time I listen to “science” in a very different and questionable way. Can’t trust science no more than a politician. It is an ever changing field.

I can't drink whole milk. I use to love it but I gained too much weight way too fast drinking whole milk. It just makes me feel more sluggish.

I do drink some skim with no issue.

You might have drank enough of that whole milk to keep your bones strong. As a kid, we drank it right out of the cooling tank. I’ve been in some stuff throughout my life , but have never had a major broken bone. I’ve broke a jaw (football practice), a kneecap and a finger or two, but that’s all. I attribute my good fortune in that department to that milk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT