ADVERTISEMENT

Last of the UNC Fab 4 Stephanie Mavunga

Women's BB is about to absorb all the NCAA body blows.

Not if they want to continue to exist in its current, tax exempt form.

In testimony before a U.S. Senate Committee in 2014, NCAA President Mark Emmert explained that the NCAA’s mission is “first and foremost . . . to promote student-athlete success in the classroom and on the field to ultimately enable them to succeed throughout life,” and “mproving student-athlete academic success has been a concentrated effort by the Division I membership for more than two decades.”

This is the same 2 decades where UNC-CH has kept athletes eligible using hundreds of fraudulent classes.

This specific quote in the NOA should be put your ace in the hole statement to any arrogant Tar Heel fan that wants to say they will skate:
"The AFRI/AFAM department created anomalous courses that went unchecked for 18 years. This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball. "

Anomalous Courses = Improper Benefit
Improper Benefit = Ineligible Athlete
Ineligible Athlete = Sport Punished

And for those that want to say Dean Smith's had nothing to do with this...

CKdHke_UsAE07oX.jpg

I bet if we had a scholly for her she would have followed Gray to Columbia. Also, the NCAA needs to hurry up and get their punishments set up and stop dragging this thing out. These girls deserve to play this year.

I bet if we had a scholly for her she would have followed Gray to Columbia. Also, the NCAA needs to hurry up and get their punishments set up and stop dragging this thing out. These girls deserve to play this year.

The above statement brings me to this question. What are the NCAA rules regarding player transfers when the school they are transferring from is involved in some NCAA violation? Example, do the players still have to sit out a year before becoming eligible.

The above statement brings me to this question. What are the NCAA rules regarding player transfers when the school they are transferring from is involved in some NCAA violation? Example, do the players still have to sit out a year before becoming eligible.
The student athlete has to apply for a waiver of the rule, I believe, and it's at the NCAA's discretion to waive the rule in light of the particular circumstances not being within the spirit of which the rule was intended when it was implemented. The NCAA has not handed down any punishment that I know of as of yet. If they are we don't know who would be punished to what extent. Therefore, I am not really sure if these girls are fleeing UNC because they KNOW some punishment is about to come down or if the are just worried some punishment MIGHT come down. There is strong precedent for waiving the rule when punishments come down and players then decide to transfer. I don't know if the NCAA will think it a good enough reason for these girls get to play right away if they are just guessing. Maybe if the are guessing and then it will depend if they guessed right or not at some future point. I am not really sure, you never know with the NCAA.

Not sure what makes you think she would have come here, or even if Coach Staley would have wanted her. We are set in the post. Why would she come here to sit behind Coates and Wilson two years from now? And let's not forget Jatarie White was the top rated post prospect coming out of high school in 2014. We need perimeter players. Gray meets that need.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT