ADVERTISEMENT

Lattimore says our backfield is ridiculous

Running backs are as good as the offensive line in front of them. Latt was always great at handing the ball to the ref after he scored, and then complimenting the O line. The only exception to the rule was Barry Sanders.

Running backs are as good as the offensive line in front of them. Latt was always great at handing the ball to the ref after he scored, and then complimenting the O line. The only exception to the rule was Barry Sanders.

Man U are so right about Barry Sanders. I never liked the Lions but always watched ( if they were on back then)

Barry was the ONLY exception? BS

Barry Sanders was a great RB, no doubt, but there have been dozens throughout history who could do great things even with sub- par blocking, there are a handful of guys in the NFL TODAY who can make a bad line look damn good every night. AP comes to mind... Those Minnesota lines cannot block worth a S%#+ half the game but he still rips off record breaking numbers on the regular.

Running backs can be helped a lot by a good line and good scheme, but superior talent at that position is just as important as the guys blocking for them.

Barry was the ONLY exception? BS

Barry Sanders was a great RB, no doubt, but there have been dozens throughout history who could do great things even with sub- par blocking, there are a handful of guys in the NFL TODAY who can make a bad line look damn good every night. AP comes to mind... Those Minnesota lines cannot block worth a S%#+ half the game but he still rips off record breaking numbers on the regular.

Running backs can be helped a lot by a good line and good scheme, but superior talent at that position is just as important as the guys blocking for them.

I just think of many Heisman RB's who get to the NFL and become average RB's. Mark Ingram, Ron Dayne, Ricky Williams, Eddie George to name a few. Good running backs in the NFL, but nothing special. Studs in college though. I think you put Emmitt Smith on the Tampa Bay Bucs and he doesn't come close to the record. I will give you Adrian Peterson though, you are right. Demarco Murray stud last year.....this year he will be an average back. Okay, Barry may not be the ONLY one, but was amazing doing what he did with those crappy Lions O lines. Huge part in why he retired so early. He had no faith in the organization putting better people around him.

I agree about our depth. Wilds staying healthy will go a long way for a successful year.

I just think of many Heisman RB's who get to the NFL and become average RB's. Mark Ingram, Ron Dayne, Ricky Williams, Eddie George to name a few. Good running backs in the NFL, but nothing special. Studs in college though. I think you put Emmitt Smith on the Tampa Bay Bucs and he doesn't come close to the record. I will give you Adrian Peterson though, you are right. Demarco Murray stud last year.....this year he will be an average back. Okay, Barry may not be the ONLY one, but was amazing doing what he did with those crappy Lions O lines. Huge part in why he retired so early. He had no faith in the organization putting better people around him.

George Rogers
Marcus Allen
Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Barry Sanders

All Heisman Trophy winning RBs with good NFL careers. Probably the last great era of RBs in college to make the transition to playing well in the NFL. The Heisman turned in the a QB award after Barry Sanders won.

OK, I'll show my age. I was lucky enough to see both "Sweetness" and Gayle Sayers. Never will lose those memories. Power is one thing, poetry in motion and power is nirvana in a runningback.

so, now we are excited about 3 (THREE) different backs almost totaling 1,000 yards........?

so, now we are excited about 3 (THREE) different backs almost totaling 1,000 yards........?
2 RB's with a lot of experience that played 2nd and 3rd behind a featured back and a RS Soph that will be a featured back. Their numbers to date mean very little.

What's your team got?

18907079.jpg

Well, when you put it that way, you make a good point- MANY great college RBs have gone on to struggle in the NFL and many who were only "OK" RBs in college (decent stats, enough tog net drafted..) turned out I be very good NFL RBs... I was just saying more guys than Barry Sanders have over acheived in relation to the lines they were running behind! Not saying Barry wasn't one of the greatest either because I remember one of the best parts about watching those crappy Lions teams play on Thanksgiving as a kid was getting to see Barry tote the rock! It was a shame he never got to play for a good team!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT