ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the NASCAR Brickyard event

has about 75% empty seats.

I have family in Indiana, and NASCAR is not big up there. Indy racing is way more popular. France does a horrible job in management and marketing of NASCAR. France has done everything he can to push NASCAR up the wazoo of people who just don't care. Racing on that track is huge, but it will never get the crowds that Indy gets.

The race times are different every week....as well it may be on a different day. They have put it on this bullschitt NBC sports network and you have to search all the hell over the dial to find the race. I think this new TV deal will blow up in their face. They also need to shorten the season by a month. Too much supply, with withering demand.

You are right in that they will probably never get the crowds that the "500" gets but that should be embarrassing for nascar.
I went to 3 Brickyards back about 10 years ago and there was about 250K at all those.

Nascar has been made wimpy. Yesterday they had so too many caution laps for no reason. Doesn't take that long to clean up the track. Probably extended the caution laps so a couple of the pretty boys wouldn't run out of fuel.

I know a guy that got in the lottery for tickets for the first Brickyard 400 and he got them. As the date drew closer he knew he couldn't go so he sold them and tripled or quadrupled his money. He went one year about year 2 or 3 and kept selling them the other years. After 7 or 8 years it got to the point he couldn't even get his money back so he quit ordering them.

Most of what was said is true but, its all about money. France didn't push NASCAR on the north and west. Promoters with big money fought to get races there and took race dates from traditional southern tracks like Darlington, Wilksboro and Rockingham. That, along with the senseless rules that control everything in the cars, caused old fans to walk away. Dictating gear ratiois? Give me a break. No wonder there is so much pressure to cheat.

NASCAR likes cautions because they provide a great opportunity for commercials but a caution for a little balloon floating over the track was a new low. I recorded the Indy race and had to turn the sound down to get rid of obnoxious talking heads, one in particular.

has about 75% empty seats.

Yep, used to be a pretty full event until the car of tomorrow tires fiasco in 2008, that hosed all the fans with that crap of a race a few years ago where they had to throw a caution every 10 laps with tires falling apart. They didn't give the fans a refund and they've paid for it ever since. The COT was basically a complete disaster from beginning to end and I doubt they will ever see that kind of attendance anywhere again.

At some point in the future there will be a change. Most of the critical comments above are on target (BTW Wilkesboro). Regrettable to see so many empty seats and particularly in the East. The Sport was made by 50 local entrepreneurs and Corporate Growth took it to its venus but it's fallen waaaaaay off and isn't coming back. Some of the changes needed to be made like the walls but with 25-35 each team and (only) team-packs winning it isn't good. The worst part is the doofusses they have on NBC calling the race. I listen to the 5 second delay on radio

France wants the NASCAR drivers to be big time athletes/entertainers so he pushed for more exposure in bigger markets. It worked to a degree but the sport is loosing its connection with the fan base that supported it for decades.

What I find amusing is that NASCAR has resorted to putting in multi-colored seats now at many of the tracks, so that the stands dont "look" empty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT