ADVERTISEMENT

Loudest Carolina game you've ever been to?

SteelSpur106

Gold Member
Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, SC
We have this thread every once in a while, and it's always nice to relive memories.
Mine's a tie, 2014 U[sic]GA after they missed that FG or 2013 UF

Loudest overall game I can remember is a tough one. Loudest overall moment was Ace's punt return against UGA in 2012. For about a half a second I had a total sensory overload, just so much noise and insanity that I literally could not hear, see, touch, taste, or smell. The student section was ready to storm the field right then and there.

Seems like people usually post about recent games when someone asks the loadest or hottest...etc. But for those of us that were going to Carolina games in the 80's, up until 83, no game had been louder than the Southern Cal game. The stadium was just expanded to 72,400 in 1982, so when we beat Souther Cal, WB had never heard noise like that before. I was just a kid, but I remember how amazing that night was.

Reactions: Conway Cock
Blackout game against Florida, don't remember the year, but SOS was their coach, Lou was ours. During 2001 and the first part of first quarter was loudest I've ever heard. And soon thereafter SOS proceeded to spank us...

2009 Thursday night game against Ole Miss- they came in ranked #4

Agree with Brad Edwards interception against Clemson in '87

Loudest overall game I can remember is a tough one. Loudest overall moment was Ace's punt return against UGA in 2012. For about a half a second I had a total sensory overload, just so much noise and insanity that I literally could not hear, see, touch, taste, or smell. The student section was ready to storm the field right then and there.
Yep insane.

UK 07
Ole Miss 09
UGA 12

UF 13 was a pretty loud game in the second half

that UK 07 might be the one im thinking about. It was raining outside and i remember walking up to the stadium with people raising cain and hollering "bring em on!" once we got inside, before kickoff, the chant started Game cocks back and fourth, and it did not let up till the kickoff.

Reactions: LShull9

I remember watching that one on TV. We had a two point lead late, but they were driving down the field. If I recall, we pulled off a massive sack on third down to force a long field goal which fell short (I know they were short on the field goal, not sure I'm right about the sack). A 16-14 final and a great finish.

I remember the '07 UK game too, and yes, it was raining. I very specifically remember me and my dad talking about that, and debating whether or not it would affect UK's passing game or our running game more. Good times, especially since we won.

Last edited:
2013 Outback Bowl......not the biggest crowd being a bowl game, but I remember the Gamecock section so quiet after getting screwed after the 4th down, and then the Hit occurring and the crowd reaction made for a very loud moment
I also have to agree with 2012 UGA during Ace's punt return

I have to agree with you. That was deafening. In a truly wonderful way! #2 for me, was Raynard Brown's 99 yd kickoff return for a TD against FSU in 1984!

The UGA game of 2012 from start to finish. I have never been to a Carolina game that rocked WB and was as loud as the UGA game of 2012. The atmosphere at that game was a true SEC football atmosphere.

before willie b was enclosed: >night game: "if it ain't swayin' we ain't playin" first time upper deck moved:) vs southern cal.

> day game: vs cornhuskers few yrs later.

This to me was the most "constant loud" ever. Bama was #1 and Garcia had probably his best game ever!
But that was also 1 of the quietest moments in the stadium. Until Alshon caught the 1st down to seal it, u could have heard a pin drop. Oh that relief!! Nevertheless, the most important victory in program history at that point! IMO.

I will say that even if the 2014 UGA game wasn't the loudest game I've ever been to or have the loudest moment I can remember, it was still probably the greatest football game I have ever seen. It was definitely the best I've ever been to, and might be the best I'll ever see in-person. I know I'm still pretty young, but it seems like there was a crazy twist of fate on every play, an all-out war on the field for the full four quarters. Even though the 2012 edition was louder, the 2014 version might be the one I end up remembering longer.

I agree gamcox. I don't know if I've ever heard anything louder than when Renard Brown ran the kickoff back against the Seminoles in 1984.

I believe it was 84 against Nc State after we were hosed the year before in Raliegh. Held them to minus yds and shut them out 48-0 very loud in the Brice that fine afternoon
Welcome Fired_up_cock
dividerdots.gif
Sign out
dividerdots.gif
Help
ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com
dividerdots.gif
Yahoo! Sports

I agree with this game, which is strange since it wasn't a rival. That is the first game I remember the crowd going crazy for Sandstorm. Thursday night, adult (and student) beverages enhanced the mood...just a tad!

before willie b was enclosed: >night game: "if it ain't swayin' we ain't playin" first time upper deck moved:) vs southern cal.

> day game: vs cornhuskers few yrs later.

Was there and it was swaying.

84 FSU game was very loud, but the 2009 Ole Miss game was insane. Even the tv announcers said they couldn't hear what they were saying at times, which really isn't a bad thing.

As a student, 2012 UGA. When Ace Sanders returned that punt for a TD I thought we broke the sound barrier, because he was moving that fast, but it was really just the student section a whooping and a wollering. As a fan, and for some reason, maybe this was the biggest win I have lived through and probably any of us for that matter (arguably) 2005 when we beat Florida for the first time in X amount of years. Maybe, it was because I haven't ever heard our fans that loud before. But, that game really started off the new hostility in Willy B. I feel like before that fans were happy to just eat good BBQ and watch a game. That was still durring the time when the old timers were mad if you stood up to scratch your butt. But, even then they were the ones standing up and nobody was pissed about it. That 2005 Florida victory, to me, was the start of a winning mentality by are fans.

We have this thread every once in a while, and it's always nice to relive memories.
Mine's a tie, 2014 U[sic]GA after they missed that FG or 2013 UF

In basketball, one of the loudest I heard was the Cincy game when Anthony Grant hit the 3 at the buzzer to complete the 20+ point comeback in the second half

Reactions: gamcox
back in the late 80's early 90's they were all loud as hell until after the first quarter, then it got real quiet

The loudest moment with the fewest fans still inside the stadium was SC vs Ole Miss 1978 or 1979. I don't exactly remember. We were down by 7 (17-10?) with a 4th and very long on something like our own 30-35 and only seconds on the clock. Gary Harper was our QB. Horace Smith (WR) was our fastest player. He ran a fly down the left sideline, and somehow got behind the defender, who was playing prevent, and Harper dropped back, then ran up to the line if scrimmage, and threw it as far as he could. Smith caught it, and waltzed into the end zone. It was total pandemonium inside. Then it quieted down to a moderate buzz as Coach Carlen didn't hesitate going for 2, and Harper hit Zion McKinney just inside the right endline for a 1 point lead. Then again...total pandemonium. Fans who left early were pouring back in once they heard the craziness inside when Smith caught the TD. There may have been louder moments in other games, but never did I see the jumping and hollering as in those moments. We covered the kick off and the game was over.

We did the same thing vs Wake Forest the next year. Same play, same result.

87 against Clemson....2010 against Alabama....2013 against Clemson after we went up 31-17 to secure 5th win in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT