ADVERTISEMENT

Major recruiting problems....

superflyby

Mar 12, 2007
Monroe NC
Spurrier needs to know that the recruits are not on the golf course. These younger 'head' coaches are getting totally involved with these kids and it's killing us. Spurrier has to step up. He is bigger than all of them but he is not engaged with the 'new' recruiting process.
He committed to Michigan.

Hawkins on Thursday said that one of the positives for him with Michigan was his relationship with new head coach Jim Harbaugh. Hawkins said he had talked on multiple occasions with Harbaugh, while his only conversation with USC coach Steve Spurrier took place at the camp. Hawkins had been in regular contact with USC recruiters GA Mangus and Steve Spurrier Jr.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...l-kornblut/article26215882.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Reactions: USCAndy
I totally agree, but he's not going to change! We've got a part time coach. Tanner won't do a dang thing because it's Spurrier and apparently he's above reproach. It sucks it really does. We deserve a coach who's going to be totally committed to the football program and not just collecting a paycheck and waiting on retirement. He got away with this at UF, but you just can't do that here. Whatever though, we're all preaching to the choir.

Our problem is who is going to replace Coach Spurrier? I think until we can find a great replacement...we will have Coach Spurrier. Don't think he will stay around if we don't have a winning season this year. I am sure behind closed doors...Tanner is desparately looking!

This will not change and although the usual suspects on here will tell you he can do no wrong because he took us to some bowl games and three 11 win seasons, he is hurting us and practically killed us with is 2-3 year statement. If he isnt very careful, he may end up losing the 5 guys he already has commited. We are having difficulty getting any OL committed and quality RBs and WRs are turning their noses up at us. Even with a veteran defensive coach on staff, we aren't gaining ground.

Maybe the unrated OL will choose us over Elon and Chas. Southern, maybe Kash Daniel will surprise us, who knows.

And now let's tune in for the "we are ok" crowd. They will be condescending, but won't offer anything of value to shed light on what is happening.

This will not change and although the usual suspects on here will tell you he can do no wrong because he took us to some bowl games and three 11 win seasons, he is hurting us and practically killed us with is 2-3 year statement. If he isnt very careful, he may end up losing the 5 guys he already has commited. We are having difficulty getting any OL committed and quality RBs and WRs are turning their noses up at us. Even with a veteran defensive coach on staff, we aren't gaining ground.

Maybe the unrated OL will choose us over Elon and Chas. Southern, maybe Kash Daniel will surprise us, who knows.

And now let's tune in for the "we are ok" crowd. They will be condescending, but won't offer anything of value to shed light on what is happening.
I was just saying it's a new game. We can't rely on assistant coaches to carry all the load when in reality they look at the head coach. It would only take one day a week for him to set aside to make phone calls to the recruits. It makes not sense that it is not happening. Twitter and a few text or phone calls. How much effort or time does it take.

Spurrier needs to know that the recruits are not on the golf course. These younger 'head' coaches are getting totally involved with these kids and it's killing us. Spurrier has to step up. He is bigger than all of them but he is not engaged with the 'new' recruiting process.

Hawkins on Thursday said that one of the positives for him with Michigan was his relationship with new head coach Jim Harbaugh. Hawkins said he had talked on multiple occasions with Harbaugh, while his only conversation with USC coach Steve Spurrier took place at the camp. Hawkins had been in regular contact with USC recruiters GA Mangus and Steve Spurrier Jr.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...l-kornblut/article26215882.html#storylink=cpy
You guys go play some Golf.....you may even run up with some celebrities on the course....happy 4th....

You guys go play some Golf.....you may even run up with some celebrities on the course....happy 4th....
Same to you on the 4th. I learned a long time ago that golf was too expensive and I was not good enough to justify the cost...lol.

Our problem is who is going to replace Coach Spurrier? I think until we can find a great replacement...we will have Coach Spurrier. Don't think he will stay around if we don't have a winning season this year. I am sure behind closed doors...Tanner is desparately looking!

all you have to do is pay the money and you can get a great coach. That is how bama got Saban and Ohio State got Urban. Will we go out and steal a great coach with our resources? I doubt we spend the money

I was just saying it's a new game. We can't rely on assistant coaches to carry all the load when in reality they look at the head coach. It would only take one day a week for him to set aside to make phone calls to the recruits. It makes not sense that it is not happening. Twitter and a few text or phone calls. How much effort or time does it take.
I'm agreeing 100%.

You guys have been listening to K Mack too much. He said the same things you guys are saying. I do agree that Spurrier will retire if he has another bad year. but don't put stuff out there for our opponents to read, K Mack does that for us.

Spurrier only shows up on game days.

We will fall steadily behind until we have a new, younger head coach.

I am eternally greatful for the attention and success Spurrier had brought us but we are getting our lunches handed to us on the recruiting trail.

Someone go tell Dawn Staley that having all those high profile recruits isn't necessary. . .

all you have to do is pay the money and you can get a great coach. That is how bama got Saban and Ohio State got Urban. Will we go out and steal a great coach with our resources? I doubt we spend the money

Are you crazy? South Carolina will spend the money. Just look at Dawn Staley. Look at Spurrier's salary...The problem will be finding somebody as good as SOS to
replace him.

Some of you guys wont be satisfied until we end up like Tenn. when they fired Fulmer and hired a young coach. How did that work out for them? Or when Florida lost Urban Meyer. Both those teams were 2 of the best programs in the country and they have spent years trying to recover and you think its gonna work out better for us? Personally I think Spurrier is setting Hoke up to be the next HC but lets see how he does with the defense this year.

We deserve a coach who's going to be totally committed to the football program and not just collecting a paycheck and waiting on retirement. He got away with this at UF, but you just can't do that here. Whatever though, we're all preaching to the choir.
I respectively disagree that Spurrier does this only for the money. In the past, he has shared his pay increases with his staff, and even offered to have the "cost of full admission" shared among the coaching staffs.
I believe he feels he is in a good place, and enjoys seeing the excitement in the fan base when we succeed.
I've been around long enough to witness something similar after Clemson won the NC. Clemson fans were disappointed after a 9 win season after the NC, although a 9 win season was considered a success prior to.
We are unwilling to accept anything less than 11 win seasons, running backs with less ability than Lattimore, defensive ends with less than Clowney, ball hawking skills less than Gillmore, pass catching skills less than Jeffery, etc......
I miss those days too, but because of my love of football (and Gamecocks), I'm going to try to re-calibrate my expectations to out of conference wins (especially Clemson), Bowl wins, respectful showings in the SEC.

I totally agree, but he's not going to change! We've got a part time coach. Tanner won't do a dang thing because it's Spurrier and apparently he's above reproach. It sucks it really does. We deserve a coach who's going to be totally committed to the football program and not just collecting a paycheck and waiting on retirement. He got away with this at UF, but you just can't do that here. Whatever though, we're all preaching to the choir.

He got away with it at Florida because he was winning championships. He isn't doing that any more. That is why it's not working now. Everyone needs to realize that including himself.

I respectively disagree that Spurrier does this only for the money. In the past, he has shared his pay increases with his staff, and even offered to have the "cost of full admission" shared among the coaching staffs.
I believe he feels he is in a good place, and enjoys seeing the excitement in the fan base when we succeed.
I've been around long enough to witness something similar after Clemson won the NC. Clemson fans were disappointed after a 9 win season after the NC, although a 9 win season was considered a success prior to.
We are unwilling to accept anything less than 11 win seasons, running backs with less ability than Lattimore, defensive ends with less than Clowney, ball hawking skills less than Gillmore, pass catching skills less than Jeffery, etc......
I miss those days too, but because of my love of football (and Gamecocks), I'm going to try to re-calibrate my expectations to out of conference wins (especially Clemson), Bowl wins, respectful showings in the SEC.
It's not just the fans who are not willing to accept anything less that 10-11 wins seasons. The best recruits don't want to play for mediocre South Carolina of old, or mediocre South Carolina the new version.

Reactions: jerryusc
Well, it seems deja vu has set in; only it's not Lou. I think SS is tired and worn out. You can see how upset he gets when he feels the team is not playing up to its potential. There was not much he could do last year when it became apparent that Ward had no clue. If the board rumor that he tried to retire last season but was talked out of it by Ray is true then that's deja vu all over again, again. If he had been allowed to retire last season, there were a few hot coaches that were available. Now........
Maybe this season the team and coaches will surprise us and go 11-2 again or maybe even better. We can always hope. At least, it's not Scott at the helm.

The bottom line is, that if you are going to have a recruiting strategy that relies pretty much entirely on having a good season the year before or on being better than your major instate rival, like we have. Than you better have a good season, or show that you are better than your instate rival pretty much every year or that recruiting strategy is not going to work. And if that strategy starts failing you better have some back up strategy. Keeping you head up and your fingers crossed is not a strategy.

If you have SOS's daily schedule and can factually show evidence that he plays as much golf as you state in your post put up the facts. Do you really know his daily schedule? I doubt it. My guess is you don't have any more facts about his schedule than I do and I have none.

If you have SOS's daily schedule and can factually show evidence that he plays as much golf as you state in your post put up the facts. Do you really know his daily schedule? I doubt it. My guess is you don't have any more facts about his schedule than I do and I have none.
So you are saying he could be playing a lot of golf then and you can't prove me wrong so you have nothing to really say. Got ya. ;) Does how much golf he plays matter? If he is not going to do any recruiting with his time he might as well play all the golf he wants.

Last edited:
These guys have no evidence to backup anything they say. Just because we had a young defense last year it gave all the haters a chance to come on here and trash our program. If you think Coach Spurrier isn't trying or he doesn't care about recruiting or winning then you know nothing about the man so stop talking like you do. Most of you would rather have dumbo who Spurdog has beat 5 of the last 6 times he has played him. 6 of 7 after this year

These guys have no evidence to backup anything they say. Just because we had a young defense last year it gave all the haters a chance to come on here and trash our program. If you think Coach Spurrier isn't trying or he doesn't care about recruiting or winning then you know nothing about the man so stop talking like you do. Most of you would rather have dumbo who Spurdog has beat 5 of the last 6 times he has played him. 6 of 7 after this year
Recruit after recruit have said they have never talked to Spurrier unless it was at some camp. Tell yourself he is recruiting like maniac if it makes you feel better. Deep down you know it's not true. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

I am not a gamecock fan, but give Coach Spurrier credit in having to make major adjustments in his coaching style to have success. If you watch the Florida teams that he coached and the dropout in talent at Carolina I think he has done a tremendous job. Recruiting maybe another story.

Recruit after recruit have said they have never talked to Spurrier unless it was at some camp. Tell yourself he is recruiting like maniac if it makes you feel better. Deep down you know it's not true. Where there is smoke, there is fire.
I don't have to tell myself anything. I just have to look at our team and I see a whole lot of great 4 star football players who can prove what your are saying is bs. If what you are saying was true we would be Vandy or WF or Duke or 50 other teams that don't recruit well. But keep saying and posting on a message board that Spurrier doesn't do his job if it makes you sleep better. Deep down you know its not true. If it smells like cow dung its probably a tater

Reactions: 01fatboy

Fizzactly shizzle!

You mean recruits that we didn't land.

How many recruits have you talked to that did sign with USC and how many times did they talk to SOS when they were recruited?

That's what I thought...that's exactly what I thought.

Whether he is play golf or not is irrelevant. He is not in touch with this recruit who was down to us and Michigan. I posted what the kid said and I guess in the scheme of things that was a very important thing to him. We are in a mass media, mass social media era. If you aren't in it, you are missing an important part of recruiting. It's a fact and your defense of what's going on is not going to bring this program forward. We have to be on the same page with what the other staff's are doing. It's just leveling the playing field. If you don't get it, then oh well....

We had one average season in the last 4 and all the negative nancies come out of the woodwork. We lost out on a couple out of state guys and the world is ending.

Reactions: ncmountaincock
We had one average season in the last 4 and all the negative nancies come out of the woodwork. We lost out on a couple out of state guys and the world is ending.
No....this is an evolving world dude. If you are not keeping up you are falling behind. This is not the way recruiting was done as little as two years ago but it is now. You find out we got or lost a recruit via Twitter. These kids are not calling a newspaper or a television or radio station they put it on Twitter. The main stream media follows Twitter 24/7. It is what it is and sticking your head in the sand is ignorant at best. You think we are losing a kid here and there....it will get much, much worse if we don't get on board with what is considered mainstream today. The technology is changing every 6 months and the kids are always sitting on the cutting edge when it comes to using it. Dawn's last 3 recruits were picked up by media sources from her Twitter account. What other proof do you need ? The way to contact these kids is wide open. If Spurrier isn't doing it, the others will. Advantage others...

Whether he is play golf or not is irrelevant. He is not in touch with this recruit who was down to us and Michigan. I posted what the kid said and I guess in the scheme of things that was a very important thing to him. We are in a mass media, mass social media era. If you aren't in it, you are missing an important part of recruiting. It's a fact and your defense of what's going on is not going to bring this program forward. We have to be on the same page with what the other staff's are doing. It's just leveling the playing field. If you don't get it, then oh well....

Wasn't the key to getting a VERBAL commitment from Hawkins contingent upon the VERBAL commitment of Johnson 2 weeks ago. I understand they are teammates from the same school in New Jersey. Johnson played the game and got the offer he wanted from Michigan because he was the plan B player after the were beaten by Alabama for a higher ranked player for the same position.

If that higher ranked player had selected Michigan, we probably get the package deal of Johnson and Hawkins in our class.

Doesnt look like a very strong commitment to Michigan anyway...see quote from article below:

"Despite the commitment to the Wolverines, Hawkins said this week he will take other official visits in the fall and USC is likely to receive one of those."

I doubt Spurrier will change his recruiting tactics. May not matter anyway. Even though he tried to walk it back, the 2-3 years comment sticks. And every other coach is telling recruits that you know Spurrier won't be there when you leave, and if he has another bad year, he might not be there when you get there. I love Spurrier, but he basically declared his coaching career over. Hard to overcome.

Wasn't the key to getting a VERBAL commitment from Hawkins contingent upon the VERBAL commitment of Johnson 2 weeks ago. I understand they are teammates from the same school in New Jersey. Johnson played the game and got the offer he wanted from Michigan because he was the plan B player after the were beaten by Alabama for a higher ranked player for the same position.

If that higher ranked player had selected Michigan, we probably get the package deal of Johnson and Hawkins in our class.
You are discounting the fact that if Hawkins didn't hear from Spurrier then you can bet that Johnson probably didn't either. This is what these kids are saying dude. I didn't make this up or trying to make the staff look bad. It is what it is.....

So we are recruiting ones we don't want ????Really dude ???
Do you realize how many players we actually offer scholarships to? I'm not sure but if I had to guess I'd say it was over 100. There are limits placed on how much a head coach can contact recruits so he cannot talk to everyone. I know Spurrier doesn't get after recruits as much as some head coaches. He tends to allow his assistants to do most of that and it has worked fairly well throughout his career.

You are discounting the fact that if Hawkins didn't hear from Spurrier then you can bet that Johnson probably didn't either. This is what these kids are saying dude. I didn't make this up or trying to make the staff look bad. It is what it is.....

Johnson and Hawkins were a package deal and Johnson committed to Harbaugh after 1 call offering him a scholarship. He didn't have priority from Michigan until the other player committed to Saban....He did have priority from us and new it.

Our staff works hard. Our head coach works hard when he has to with regards to recruiting.

The problem is- other schools are working hard too and most of the good football teams have head coaches that are 150% sold out to recruiting 24/7/365.

A lot of our recruits will report that their recruiter took them on a tour of campus. A lot of recruits report that when visiting other schools the head coach will take them and their family on a personal tour of campus. To a kid and his momma, that is a big, big difference.

Most of the top schools have also spent a lot of time developing many checks and balances built in to prevent top commits from falling through the cracks. Most top programs have many, many experienced staff members that are focused on recruiting.

USC use to have Clyde Wrenn doing that stuff. He was good. However, these days you schools will have 5-7 employees like a Clyde Wrenn.

Are you crazy? South Carolina will spend the money. Just look at Dawn Staley. Look at Spurrier's salary...The problem will be finding somebody as good as SOS to
replace him.

Dude, I am talking about are we willing to spend the money to bring in a proven winner. what would it cost to get a Saban, Urban, Chip Kelly, Pat Summit in their prime?
Yes Spurrier and Staley have great salaries now. But, we brought staley in at $250,000 and Spurrier in at 1,250,000 that didn't really break the bank.

Johnson and Hawkins were a package deal and Johnson committed to Harbaugh after 1 call offering him a scholarship. He didn't have priority from Michigan until the other player committed to Saban....He did have priority from us and new it.
Whether he new it, or knew it....this kid stated a fact.....he heard from Harbaugh and not from Spurrier. Spin it how you like, he made the statement so your input is immaterial to the facts. Harbaugh, daybo, and other head coaches are more involved and it's making a difference. Bottom line...daybo has been doing this for a while and he is pulling in better kids than Spurrier. That should never be. Spurrier has the name but daybo is making the connections. Spin that !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT