ADVERTISEMENT

Most miserable weather you have ever sat through to watch a carolina football game.

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
Because i have only been to two games in my lifetime i am not qualified to answer, but i would ask some of our more experienced gamegoers what weather got to them the most be it hot, cold, rain, snow, etc. Just tell me the game and year, home games only.

Opening game at NC State the year Lou Holtz debuted as our coach. There was a hurricane just offshore and the wind and rain made it miserable. There was simply no way to avoid being drenched head to toe.

Not a home game but 2009 Papa Johns Bowl in Birmingham. It was less than 30 degrees and me and now wife stayed the entire game. I never felt better about escaping the cold. To make matters worse we had to endure a spanking from UConn. I still remember looking at both benches and seeing our guys huddled by the heaters, while the UCONN players were the complete opposite, not even fazed and standing on the sideline.

As for home games, 1995 vs UK was miserable. Very cold and wet. To make it worse Moe Williams runs for 299 yards against us.

2002 vs UGA. Shortly after the game started, it rained very hard, lightning struck and the game was delayed over an hour. What I remember most was the majority of the student section staying in the stands despite the rain and lightning, cheering after every sound of thunder and chanting "Game" "Cocks". Fun times despite the heartbreaking ending and Pollock's sick pick 6.

ECU was mine, also. They didn't stop games back then for lighting and there was plenty of it that night. Up in the upper deck, water was gushing down the steps and it was ankle deep under the stands. Add in that the Pirates punished us that day and it was miserable. Back then I took my then young daughter to 1 game a year. That was the second year in a row that it rained. On the way home my daughter asked if we could go to a dry game the next year.

Reactions: SCSalesReptile
Indiana in the 88 Liberty Bowl was brutally cold, much more than the UConn game, was a night game to boot.

88 Liberty Bowl, NC State with Hurricane Floyd. 4thGenGamecock was there and all you could see was the tip of his nose out of the poncho. He was only 5 but wasn't going to leave either.

The Hurricane Dennis game at NCSU was bad, but I think the most miserable was the Hall of Fame Bowl game in Birmingham (1978, I think) is my worst weather memory from a game. Pouring rain and 33 degrees the whole game. Being only 13 at the time may have exaggerated the experience, though.

ECU was mine, also. They didn't stop games back then for lighting and there was plenty of it that night. Up in the upper deck, water was gushing down the steps and it was ankle deep under the stands. Add in that the Pirates punished us that day and it was miserable. Back then I took my then young daughter to 1 game a year. That was the second year in a row that it rained. On the way home my daughter asked if we could go to a dry game the next year.
I was at that ECU game as well. It was like sitting under a waterfall as much water that was cascading down the stadium steps.

Didn't Marty Simpson get two tries to win the game with a field goal and he missed both?

I was at that ECU game as well. It was like sitting under a waterfall as much water that was cascading down the stadium steps.
That ECU games gets my vote, hands down. It was miserable. And it seemed like that big running back from ECU must have run for about 280 yards that night.

88 Liberty bowl was the coldest for sure. My dad passed that year right after we beat Georgia. I went to Memphis with my mom and watched Indiana beat us. They were passing liquor back and forth all night. I told my mom if you dont grab it next time it comes by I think we will both freeze to death. She didnt and we lived but wow it was cold!! ECU was by far the wettest game I ever sat thru. Must have rained 5 inches during the game with Harley plowing us into the ground all day long! Im sure he had 300 rushing

You are right about the LSU game in Baton Rouge. Virtual flood the entire game Seems like Toby Cates caught the wind TD.

Peach Bowl in ''69 was also miserable

Because i have only been to two games in my lifetime i am not qualified to answer, but i would ask some of our more experienced gamegoers what weather got to them the most be it hot, cold, rain, snow, etc. Just tell me the game and year, home games only.

Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.Papa's in the house. Papa's in the house.

East Carolina.......underneath the stadium was literally underwater....us guys got in the car after game with shirts off, everyone was mad, miserable, yelling at each other.....bad day

2002 Georgia game. We stayed in the student section the whole time except for running out to chug a beer. Came right back in to continue getting wet. All that just to see a potential game winning goal line fumble. Pinnock would've walked in.

2007 Arky (I think that's the yr) was a freezing miserable game.

Didn't Marty Simpson get two tries to win the game with a field goal and he missed both?
I think you are right that 1992 was the year we lost 20-18 but I think the rain game was in 1996. After that game Bra Scott complained because the fans left. I was soaked to the bone and it looked like I could reach out and catch lightning bolts from my seat in the upper deck. I probably stayed longer than I should have because I was putting my family at risk. Couldn't stand Bra from the very beginning. D is left off because there never was any D.

Reactions: pbranden
Haha all these are cute lil stories,mine was the 1998 Carolina vs East Carolina game,it was a down poor that was epic, we were playing horrible,the Pirates were moving the ball at will,just made for a miserable night!!

Opening game at NC State the year Lou Holtz debuted as our coach. There was a hurricane just offshore and the wind and rain made it miserable. There was simply no way to avoid being drenched head to toe.
The Peach Bowl against WV played at Ga Tech Stadium had 6 inches of rain on the field and the NC Stae game were the worst games because of the rain. The Birminham game with Indiana was the coldest game but I had clothes and blanbets to stay warm. We have not had any games like that in Columbia since 1957 - the game when we had to leave the stadium was probably the worst. We have had many hot games at home and at Georgia (visitors seats are in the sun and usually afternoon games) have been the hotest games. I have only missed about 5 - 6 home games since 1967 and usually take in three off games a year. A couple of the other gbowl games were bad. Baseball this years had two of the doldest games I have ever attended along with the Clemson game in Greenville this year..

Eecu

ECU AND WE LOST ON TOP OF THAT. Remember ealing back to cast and water was half way up to my knees. Also remember taking my daughter to a Florida game. She almost froze. Had to leave the game

Mine has to be the East Carolina game as well. That first big lightning strike seemed like it hit the stadium. It was right before halftime and then the monsoon started. It must have rained about 6 inches just during halftime. The stands were flooded and the lightning was crazy. Leaving the stadium after the game was like walking through a creek. I literally stripped down to my boxers when I got to my car. It was the worst game I have ever been too.

1. The hottest was last year's game vs ECU.

2. The coldest was vs Arkansas, can't remember the year but it 6 or so years ago. Blake Mitchell was the QB.

3. The wettest was vs UGA in the early '70s. We sat in the West Upper and water flowed down the steps like a river.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT