ADVERTISEMENT

no one is more disappointed than I am about our baseball team, just 3 years

gridfan

Dec 7, 2001
Mt. Pleasant, SC
removed from a CWS championship series and we don't even get into the tourney, but UNC and Virginia, both with recent "success" in baseball of top rankings, top seeds, and CWS teams, both suffered this year, UNC did not make the tourney and Virginia made it as an at-large team, so I reckon that some of the pumpers telling us that it was just a down year may be correct, that all teams go through these years is accurate, but I think that 2 Nat Champs and almost a third puts us way ahead of UVa and UNC on the expectation list

Knowing that other programs also suffer from time to time does not make me feel any better about our situation. Neither UNC or Virginia has ever won the CWS.....neither UNC nor Virginia have the resources we have...neither UNC nor Virginia have the facilities we have....nor does Dallas Baptist....We failed because of other reasons than "a down year teams go through". We had good classes, facilities, and fan support, and the only thing lacking was hitting and pitching and that comes from not having good coaching. You can paint it anyway you want but it's still an ugly picture in the end.....sorry !

The reality is UNC got the shaft by not getting in with an RPI in the 20’s and beating Clemson in the ACC tournament. We got what we deserved.

Knowing that other programs also suffer from time to time does not make me feel any better about our situation. Neither UNC or Virginia has ever won the CWS.....neither UNC nor Virginia have the resources we have...neither UNC nor Virginia have the facilities we have....nor does Dallas Baptist....We failed because of other reasons than "a down year teams go through". We had good classes, facilities, and fan support, and the only thing lacking was hitting and pitching and that comes from not having good coaching. You can paint it anyway you want but it's still an ugly picture in the end.....sorry !
Can you coach?

superflyby---let's forget UNC and Virginia. How about UCLA, runner up to us in 2010 and NC in 2013, not only didn't make the tourney in 2014, but had a losing record...yet here they are back this year as the overall #1 seed. Then there is LSU, with more history then we do. They won it all in 09, yet 2 years later, did NOT make the tourney. Now they are back as the overall #2 seed. BTW, both programs still have the same coach they won it all with. So, yes, this can be classified as a down year. If it were to continue, then we MAY have some problems.

Weak Tea.....it isn't just an off year but you and the rest of the pumpers can stick your heads into the sand.

Just don't forget that you were warned....whether it is next year, or as the pumper insist, it is in 4 years, Holbrooke will be let go...then we will have to see how long our history in baseball allows for us to rebound...hopefully it isn't a decade like in basketball.

Some pumpers have to have a cluebat over the head but still will be insisting that Darrin Horn just needs another year...

Reactions: gamecock ed
Weak Tea.....it isn't just an off year but you and the rest of the pumpers can stick your heads into the sand.

Just don't forget that you were warned....whether it is next year, or as the pumper insist, it is in 4 years, Holbrooke will be let go...then we will have to see how long our history in baseball allows for us to rebound...hopefully it isn't a decade like in basketball.

Some pumpers have to have a cluebat over the head but still will be insisting that Darrin Horn just needs another year...

Well Ms Nellie---provide some reasoning behind your post. I have given you my reasoning while stating that another poor year MIGHT happen. But seriously doubt it. I won't say I have any more knowledge of the game than anyone else in here, but I do have my share of it.

superflyby---let's forget UNC and Virginia. How about UCLA, runner up to us in 2010 and NC in 2013, not only didn't make the tourney in 2014, but had a losing record...yet here they are back this year as the overall #1 seed. Then there is LSU, with more history then we do. They won it all in 09, yet 2 years later, did NOT make the tourney. Now they are back as the overall #2 seed. BTW, both programs still have the same coach they won it all with. So, yes, this can be classified as a down year. If it were to continue, then we MAY have some problems.
I would agree with you to some degree if we had lost games that were tight....games with a bad hop here or there....we were soundly beaten in SEC play and lost to midweek programs with way less talent and resources. I think a bad break or injuries play a part in a bad season....this was way beyond that. This was a dumpster fire. We had players leave the program and excel. I am beginning to wonder if those players would have excelled here with this staff. The ones that left flourished and the ones that stayed batted .200. Something wrong there dude.....

It's no way it was just a down year. Stop looking at other teams to try to justify it. Look at that team you watched in the Garnet uniforms. Stocked full of bad hitters. Two SEC starting caliber pitchers and one needed surgery. No shut down pitcher in the entire bull pen. We can't rely on trends to save us. We need leadership. This team needs to be completely rebuilt now because we are out of good players and it's good players that win not trends.

Reactions: gamecock ed
Well Ms Nellie---provide some reasoning behind your post. I have given you my reasoning while stating that another poor year MIGHT happen. But seriously doubt it. I won't say I have any more knowledge of the game than anyone else in here, but I do have my share of it.
I really hope you're not waiting for a rational response to this post, just more "Waaannnnhhhh!"

It's no way it was just a down year. Stop looking at other teams to try to justify it. Look at that team you watched in the Garnet uniforms. Stocked full of bad hitters. Two SEC starting caliber pitchers and one needed surgery. No shut down pitcher in the entire bull pen. We can't rely on trends to save us. We need leadership. This team needs to be completely rebuilt now because we are out of good players and it's good players that win not trends.

NOT looking at other teams to justify anything. Doing so to show that it happens to ANYBODY, including us. You say bad hitters? These guys batted pretty damn good in high school. Connor Bright has batted pretty well for the Gamecocks. The freshmen ARE good players who did not adjust their first year. We'll see if they get better. We have good players coming in next season. Have read somewhere a class in the top 6-7 in the country.
As far as gettinh whipped in SEC games, yes, we did, in about 6 of the losses, to top 10 teams. We did also lose 6-1 run SEC games and a couple of the mid week games. A couple of mid week losses are inexcusable but we also lost a couple to teams in top 25 and #2 seeds in some regional tourneys.
This is NOT a dumpster fire. We have had years(see 2 NC years) where everything went our way. This was a season where nothing went our way. It is so refreshing to see reporters, who cover the sport nationally, agree with this assessment.

NOT looking at other teams to justify anything. Doing so to show that it happens to ANYBODY, including us. You say bad hitters? These guys batted pretty damn good in high school. Connor Bright has batted pretty well for the Gamecocks. The freshmen ARE good players who did not adjust their first year. We'll see if they get better. We have good players coming in next season. Have read somewhere a class in the top 6-7 in the country.
As far as gettinh whipped in SEC games, yes, we did, in about 6 of the losses, to top 10 teams. We did also lose 6-1 run SEC games and a couple of the mid week games. A couple of mid week losses are inexcusable but we also lost a couple to teams in top 25 and #2 seeds in some regional tourneys.
This is NOT a dumpster fire. We have had years(see 2 NC years) where everything went our way. This was a season where nothing went our way. It is so refreshing to see reporters, who cover the sport nationally, agree with this assessment.
This reminds me of a minor league player talking to his coach...."Coach I don't understand it, I was a .500 hitter in high school and I can't get a hit here". The coach replied..."Well we didn't sign those pitchers that you got hits off, we signed the ones that got you out." There's your answer....

Arizona hasn't been back to the tournament since they defeated us in the finals. Their head coach retired/resigned this week. College baseball programs go up and down (and only a rare few ever reach the pinnacle).

I think the biggest concern is the steady decline we've shown every season under Holbrook.

Arizona hasn't been back to the tournament since they defeated us in the finals. Their head coach retired/resigned this week. College baseball programs go up and down (and only a rare few ever reach the pinnacle).
44-18
I think the biggest concern is the steady decline we've shown every season under Holbrook.

Sorry DarkCock--Not understanding the statement of us being in a "steady decline". Holbrook's 1st year we were 43-20 including 17-12 in the SEC. In 2014 we were 44-18, a higher win percentage plus 18-12 in the league. This was really his first poor year.
That's my gripe with the nellies' posts in here. Ya'll are ready to throw Holbrook under the bus after ONE poor season. Personally, I think things will be much better next year, but if they are not, THEN there will be reason to question the ability of our head coach.

Sorry DarkCock--Not understanding the statement of us being in a "steady decline". Holbrook's 1st year we were 43-20 including 17-12 in the SEC. In 2014 we were 44-18, a higher win percentage plus 18-12 in the league. This was really his first poor year.
That's my gripe with the nellies' posts in here. Ya'll are ready to throw Holbrook under the bus after ONE poor season. Personally, I think things will be much better next year, but if they are not, THEN there will be reason to question the ability of our head coach.

C'mon, you know what I mean: postseason is what matters. We were money in the NCAA tournament just a few seasons ago; now we're not even in the tournament. Perhaps that's more of a dramatic decline than a steady decline; however, I was attempting to give CH the benefit of the doubt.

C'mon, you know what I mean: postseason is what matters. We were money in the NCAA tournament just a few seasons ago; now we're not even in the tournament. Perhaps that's more of a dramatic decline than a steady decline; however, I was attempting to give CH the benefit of the doubt.

DarkCock---that is why I'm calling it an off year instead of a decline. Decline, to me means it's gonna be a few year thing and I just don't believe that's the case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT