ADVERTISEMENT

Not that I'm a big Cowherd fan, but Heath Cline had a nice take on his firing by the four letter

cockn'fyr

Mar 26, 2006
network yesterday! I did not know that Cowherd was leaving to go to FOX, seems ESPN finally took exception to something he broadcast to send him out with a bang. The more PC ESPN tries to look the more they are turning me off! Unless it's a live game broadcast and maybe an occasional 30 for 30, I could do without them!

It's not even a PC issue, he literally said baseball must not be that complicated since Dominicans can play it.

That's just racist and stupid. I'm sorry that you old geezers can't be racist and say whatever you want anymore without consequences. Must suck, huh?

Reactions: Bubbaglide
All of you are welcome to stop watching ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and the SEC Network starting today.

Let us know how that works out come football season. The "4 Letter Network" revolutionized how sports are brought to us. Don't enjoy their politics? Don't watch.

Gamecawks, that might not have been the smartest thing Cowherd ever said, but it was just a tasteless joke.
Being an old geezer myself, YOUR comment is offensive to me. All old men are not racists, as you suggest.
So take a hike.

It wasn't a tasteless joke, because he proceeded to defend it on his next show.

I don't give a damn about offending you relics, why don't y'all meet for brunch at Shoney's and talk about the good ol' days

Reactions: bnicks23
Glad to see him go, was terrible blowhard, needed to be on some hick town sports radio. Fox making another mistake

It's not even a PC issue, he literally said baseball must not be that complicated since Dominicans can play it.

That's just racist and stupid. I'm sorry that you old geezers can't be racist and say whatever you want anymore without consequences. Must suck, huh?

If it is a true statement, how would that make it racist?
If you've never been to a third world country, especially one not known for it's great technological or biological accomplishments, you would understand what he was saying..

First, let me get this straight, I wasn't defending what he said, I think it's wrong! My point was, he has said crazy shtuff like that before and as long as he was an employee with a contract and ratings it was OK, not until he decided to take his gig elsewhere did they make a stink about what he was broadcasting! Name call all you want to me or anyone else on this board, bottom line, shame on ESPN!

Reactions: jdgrn01
All of you are welcome to stop watching ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and the SEC Network starting today.

Let us know how that works out come football season. The "4 Letter Network" revolutionized how sports are brought to us. Don't enjoy their politics? Don't watch.
No one is going to turn them off over politics. Anyone who says on that on a message board is just grandstanding and everyone knows it. However, I do kind of roll my eyes at them sometimes. I would just say change the channel when they jump on the soap box.

It wasn't a tasteless joke, because he proceeded to defend it on his next show.

I don't give a damn about offending you relics, why don't y'all meet for brunch at Shoney's and talk about the good ol' days
Now listen...you do realize you defended ESPN (rightfully so) for their decision based on racial stereotyping and then turned around and made a stereotypical remark about older people? I think you are a man of "using" what fits your argument rather than buying into what you say you believe.

Reactions: 2spurs
I think when your job is to talk to a national audience almost daily and to be entertaining and sort of live on the edge a bit you are going to say several things over the course of a career that maybe doesn't sit well with people....nowadays though, when someone does this, it's just fair game to completely destroy them through the mainstream media and social media...it's just part of this big ugly system that we are all a part of to a degree whether we admit it or not.

Reactions: Bleedgandb3334
I definitely wish there was another network that covered as many sporting events as ESPN that had different politics than ESPN does for sure. I watch specific events/games on ESPN but don't watch them at all otherwise.

Hearing they were giving Brue Jenner an ESPY for courage was just laughable. I think giving him a free pass to a mental institution would be much more appropriate.

Show sports, talk about sports and leave all the human interest stories, political and social topics such as homosexuality out of it.

You cant turn a TV on in today's world without a network pushing their view....and 99% of it is a worldly, non-biblical view. Its even hard to watch commercials anymore with a kid in the room, especially if its a commercial about some reality show that comes on later.

ESPN should stick to sports and sports highlights and let the news channels show and tell us how far from God and screwed up this Country has become.

Yea it was definitely not a joke. He made a pretty ignorant leap and it cost him.

It didn't cost him anything. He had already let it be known he was leaving ESPN. He already had a deal signed with FOX. How did he lose again? He basically got a vacation before his next gig. Cowherd has a large following and he'll be fine.

I think when your job is to talk to a national audience almost daily and to be entertaining and sort of live on the edge a bit you are going to say several things over the course of a career that maybe doesn't sit well with people....nowadays though, when someone does this, it's just fair game to completely destroy them through the mainstream media and social media...it's just part of this big ugly system that we are all a part of to a degree whether we admit it or not.
This is a part of the problem. You want to blame mainstream media for destroying his career when the words came out of HIS mouth. You just said he plays to a national audience and that is very true. You don't need to insult any part of that audience with racial statement. I don't want to live where that behavior is accepted and neither do you. He got another job but Fox Sports can't buy into that behavior either. They sell their product to a worldwide audience too.

ESPN is crapping their pants now that a la carte television packages are a reality. They're shedding their "personalities" as fast as they can (Simmons, Cowherd, Olbermann (again)) to save dough.

That expressed, anyone who thinks Cowherd is "great" is an imbecile.

ESPN is crapping their pants now that a la carte television packages are a reality. They're shedding their "personalities" as fast as they can (Simmons, Cowherd, Olbermann (again)) to save dough.

That expressed, anyone who thinks Cowherd is "great" is an imbecile.
A la cart will not cut into their profits. They aren't giving the service away to outlets like Sling....it's paid for....they are just redistributing a sold package. It will force cable and satellite services to amend their product but they signed long term contacts with ESPN and ESPN signed long term contracts with the conferences. It will be a long time before this becomes a problem for ESPN, if ever.

A la cart will not cut into their profits. They aren't giving the service away to outlets like Sling....it's paid for....they are just redistributing a sold package. It will force cable and satellite services to amend their product but they signed long term contacts with ESPN and ESPN signed long term contracts with the conferences. It will be a long time before this becomes a problem for ESPN, if ever.

According to all of the following media outlets, it's already a problem:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/vincent...-subscribers-espn-now-facing-tough-decisions/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/vincent...-subscribers-espn-now-facing-tough-decisions/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/disney-forces-espn-to-cut-costs/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/disney-forces-espn-to-cut-costs/
http://www.avclub.com/article/la-ca...ocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default
http://www.avclub.com/article/la-ca...ocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default

Dude, he's quoting a movie. A great one, btw, "Bull Durham." Let me guess, only "geezers" have seen "Bull Durham," right?
Maybe he is quoting a movie I'd like to know too. How is WAR calculated? I mean it's like the freaking passer rating thing. Whenever I hear either one I think, that's great, now what does it mean?

Subscribers are forced to take programs against their wishes because outlets like Disney force them to. The ESPN and Disney Channel deal has to include ESPN2, ESPN News at a lower subscriber rate than ESPN but they have to take it regardless. ESPN has the subscriber numbers to sell ads on ESPN2 and ESPN News even though the viewership is lower the market is available non the less. ESPN has all of college football pretty much in their pocket. If anyone is going to telecast it they are going to have to pay for the service though what ever provider they use. The subscribers were not dropping ESPN per say they were dropping satellite and cable companies. If they switch to a a la cart they will still have to buy ESPN if they want to see it. It's not going to be free for anyone. Granted they will lose people in the overall picture but the rates they charge in negotiating with the a la cart vendors will cover their losses or at least come close. Disney is way ahead of the game in these things...bet on it.

Yes it does.. What sucks even more is that the consequences for the opposition aren't the same.

This board is a bunch of misanthropists. You all just hate things just to hate on it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT