ADVERTISEMENT

One big change I'd love to have happen in fall camp this year......

Sumter Cock

Nov 29, 1998
I hope we have some really physical, tough, full speed practices.
I know Spurrier has tried not to do too much hitting in preseason practices, to keep our players healthy, but strike a balance, please.

The teams we have faced in the first game for many years always seem to be ready to play, and we come out sluggish. It usually takes until sometime in the 2nd half before we catch up to the speed and physicality of the game.

Because we had scheduled inferior talent, were able to overcome and win. But, not last year.
We faced an ATM team that was not inferior, and by the time we woke up and started playing, it was all over.

My hope is, when we line up against UNC, we will start strong, looking prepared.

Reactions: GarnetBlood80
I think SOS realizes after last year's defensive debacle that we have to practice a little more physical. Besides piss poor schemes on LW's part the other things that killed us were bad tackling and angles. I don't think we'll go back to Lou Holtz type practices though. Does anyone know what Hokes philosophy is on practice? Sometimes I forget he's here because it seems LW does all the talking about defense.

I hope we have some really physical, tough, full speed practices.
I know Spurrier has tried not to do too much hitting in preseason practices, to keep our players healthy, but strike a balance, please.

The teams we have faced in the first game for many years always seem to be ready to play, and we come out sluggish. It usually takes until sometime in the 2nd half before we catch up to the speed and physicality of the game.

Because we had scheduled inferior talent, were able to overcome and win. But, not last year.
We faced an ATM team that was not inferior, and by the time we woke up and started playing, it was all over.

My hope is, when we line up against UNC, we will start strong, looking prepared.
And the first injury and Spurrier is an idiot.

We have never done a lot of hitting in practice and won big so a knee jerk reaction is not needed. I think personnel was the major problem with scheme being the second problem. I would hope we stick to what we were doing but do it better. Hoke has brought a breath of fresh air and new players should make last year seem like the fluke it was. We will not have the combination of player confusion and blown assignments along with players not SEC ready again. I see that Spurrier saw the problem and brought in Hoke to fix it....now play ball....

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
Flyby. We need to learn how to tackle and block at full speed. Last year this team had strong players but lacked physicality.

Well practice is CLOSED this year so there is one change....I suspect there is a good reason for that and we might all be shocked when we finally see the product we have....

Reactions: 67gamecock
If I recall, weren't the coaches trying to run a faster spring practice?

Flyby. We need to learn how to tackle and block at full speed. Last year this team had strong players but lacked physicality.
We shall agree to disagree....it was blown assignments and poor placement on defense more than anything. I still blame Ward for our season not the players. They were totally unprepared and the strength and conditioning program shares a part of the blame but lets move on...

ADVERTISEMENT