ADVERTISEMENT

One Tiger's Opinion

tigers79

Dec 4, 2002
I just read a series of threads discussing Carolina's good RB / running game for 2015. Although I agree to a certain extent, I also think Spurrier will lean hard on the running game early in the year as he brings his QB(s) along. Cocks have a good solid tandem of running backs and some situational depth with Carson....not sure about freshmen RB contributions, however. The O-line has a chance to be pretty salty as well. Questions are abundant at WR ( after Cooper of course) and Conner Mitch is anything but a proven passer. Not sayin Mitch can't do it but he is not a proven QB. I would also expect Spurrier to give Nunez every chance to showcase his running talents with some sort of "package" . Finally, Spurrier will not want the defense to be tested too much so he will want to control the clock with running and small ball passing. Again, he has better talent (read JUCOs) and better coaching with Hoke but they will need time and leadership to develop into a solid defense.
Given all that, an 7-8 win regular season would be pretty good for the cocks because to get there they would have to beat 3-4 of the following: UNC, UGa, Misso, Tx A&M, LSU, Tn, Fl, and Clemson. 9+ wins would simply be outstanding.

Tiger, I like our chances much better than yours. We are going to be better balanced this year and the option read that has crushed Clemson for so long will be back with a vengeance. If we can stay fairly healthy, offensive line may be Spurrier's best yet. Defense will be back this year. Clemson on the other hand lacks the talent on the offensive line and tight ends to have much of a power offense relying on bubble screens and QB keepers. Good luck with that. Contrary to the Tiger talk, don't see much talent on the defensive line either. Although the schedule is not eye popping a little tougher than last year. Don't be shocked if Dabo's high expectations come crashing down this year. Tigers may get nine wins with the schedule but seven or eight more realistic.

I just read a series of threads discussing Carolina's good RB / running game for 2015. Although I agree to a certain extent, I also think Spurrier will lean hard on the running game early in the year as he brings his QB(s) along. Cocks have a good solid tandem of running backs and some situational depth with Carson....not sure about freshmen RB contributions, however. The O-line has a chance to be pretty salty as well. Questions are abundant at WR ( after Cooper of course) and Conner Mitch is anything but a proven passer. Not sayin Mitch can't do it but he is not a proven QB. I would also expect Spurrier to give Nunez every chance to showcase his running talents with some sort of "package" . Finally, Spurrier will not want the defense to be tested too much so he will want to control the clock with running and small ball passing. Again, he has better talent (read JUCOs) and better coaching with Hoke but they will need time and leadership to develop into a solid defense.
Given all that, an 7-8 win regular season would be pretty good for the cocks because to get there they would have to beat 3-4 of the following: UNC, UGa, Misso, Tx A&M, LSU, Tn, Fl, and Clemson. 9+ wins would simply be outstanding.

That was s very fair evaluation - better in fact than some of the posters here that pretend to be Gamecock fans, yet post as many negative comments as they possibly can.

Thumbs up from me 79!

Fair enough I'd say, even if it is from a tater fan. I am looking for nine wins.

Every day I come on here I get reminded how many douche posters we have, and I'm not talking about the tiger either. The guy gave an honest opinion, which was actually rather good and fair, and several posters have to chirp in with negative BS........js
They are the enemy. Their fans are as phony as their school, students, teams and staff, period. It all trickles down into a giant cesspool.

I think he was pretty accurate in his assumptions. Not a bad post for a Tiger.

Not outrageous predictions... But JFTR, I FULLY EXPECT to beat Mizzou, UNC, Tn, clemzun AND Florida. UGA, TAMU= toss ups. LSU- not likely.

Just saying... I know most probably don't agree at this point, but we were THREE UNHEARD OF 4th quarter collapses away from TEN WINS last season! While I don't expect better QB play, I think Mitch will surprise people, and I expect all other facets of our game to improve... 9-10 wins is very possible. 7-8 is probably the more common prediction though.

Tiger, I like our chances much better than yours. We are going to be better balanced this year and the option read that has crushed Clemson for so long will be back with a vengeance. If we can stay fairly healthy, offensive line may be Spurrier's best yet. Defense will be back this year. Clemson on the other hand lacks the talent on the offensive line and tight ends to have much of a power offense relying on bubble screens and QB keepers. Good luck with that. Contrary to the Tiger talk, don't see much talent on the defensive line either. Although the schedule is not eye popping a little tougher than last year. Don't be shocked if Dabo's high expectations come crashing down this year. Tigers may get nine wins with the schedule but seven or eight more realistic.

What world do some of you live in?

Good post Tiger. We definitely have some questions going into season. I feel confident at RB, LB, even QB. Mitch is not proven but I think he will do well. Worried somewhat about OL and DL and that is where games are won and lost

Guys, I appreciate a good discussion. Thanks. As for you Carolinacrazy......well at least you named yourself appropriately.

"Guys, I appreciate a good discussion. Thanks."

For what?

Your opinion's not important, go be cerebral/analytical 'bout why the self-proclaimed Top-15 recruiting tigers every year since doo doo took the reigns can't get out of their own shadow. We've owned you this decade and your attempt to assuage certain fan's fears with your "7-8 wins will be good scenario" is total BS.
First, we've going to smack the snot out of Clemson, but before we do we're going to have well more than six/seven wins behind us.
You're a dumb-a$$ troll who's 2002 'membership' date related to < 5 posts in all that time is a dead give away for what you are ... coming over here attempting to lull unwitting Gamecocks (and we have 'em) into acceptance of less than what we're truly capable of.
Take your 'projections' and stick 'em up your nose.
If you can't find other Clemson fans willing to converse with you just go talk to yourself.
William Buckley you ain't ... more like Gore Vidal - arrogant, assumptive and ... well, you get my drift.
Any Gamecocks in need of divine guidance can pray about it - we don't need you $ .02 cents.
Did I mention that we're gonna' kick the snot out of you? AGAIN!
You ain't coming to our house and beat us ... that IS NOT gonna' happen.
Clemson didn't play 'well' last year - we played like dooky.
Dooky days are over. We've gonna' smack the crap out of Clemson. Book it.
And by the way, your women are ugly, too - and stupid. A Clemson graduate in our building that doesn't shave her legs during winter 'cause "it helps hold my pantyhose up" came back with her head shaved last week and when asked about it announced she'd gotten a 'Brazillian' 'cause she'd heard it was all the rage.
Go peek at your sister, dream about your mother and share a pumpkin with your brother ... this is a Gamecock board.
Are you still here?
WELL? BYE!!!

Reactions: NetworkX
I'd get called a "coot" if I posted this on my home site, so I'll just go ahead and post it here instead...
But, I tend to agree this year with USC folks who think that the cocks will have a better record than predicted, and Clemson will not do as well as predicted.

I'd love to think otherwise, but honestly, I just don't see double digit wins for the tigers this year. Going into last year, I didn't understand how USC fans had high expectations b/c I just don't think you can lose the number and level of talent that they lost and expect not to regress. You can't lose Clowney, Shaw and co. and maintain par. In fairness, I think the same applies to Clemson this year. Tigers can't lose the talent on our OL, DL and LB and expect to not regress. Yes, we still have our elite QB and very talented skill players, but no question we're going to feel those losses on our lines. I see us losing to FSU, ND and Louisville, with Georgia Tech, Miami, and USC as toss-ups.

As for USC, I think you beat UNC, Mizzou, A&M, TN and FL, with very winnable, toss-ups with LSU, UGA and Clemson. I think you have a talented team and will make some noise in the east. Ultimately, I think UGA wins the east, but I think you'll be in the hunt all year.

Ultimately, who knows...but this is how I'm feeling in the way too early pre-season.

"Guys, I appreciate a good discussion. Thanks."

For what?

Your opinion's not important, go be cerebral/analytical 'bout why the self-proclaimed Top-15 recruiting tigers every year since doo doo took the reigns can't get out of their own shadow. We've owned you this decade and your attempt to assuage certain fan's fears with your "7-8 wins will be good scenario" is total BS.
First, we've going to smack the snot out of Clemson, but before we do we're going to have well more than six/seven wins behind us.
You're a dumb-a$$ troll who's 2002 'membership' date related to < 5 posts in all that time is a dead give away for what you are ... coming over here attempting to lull unwitting Gamecocks (and we have 'em) into acceptance of less than what we're truly capable of.
Take your 'projections' and stick 'em up your nose.
If you can't find other Clemson fans willing to converse with you just go talk to yourself.
William Buckley you ain't ... more like Gore Vidal - arrogant, assumptive and ... well, you get my drift.
Any Gamecocks in need of divine guidance can pray about it - we don't need you $ .02 cents.
Did I mention that we're gonna' kick the snot out of you? AGAIN!
You ain't coming to our house and beat us ... that IS NOT gonna' happen.
Clemson didn't play 'well' last year - we played like dooky.
Dooky days are over. We've gonna' smack the crap out of Clemson. Book it.
And by the way, your women are ugly, too - and stupid. A Clemson graduate in our building that doesn't shave her legs during winter 'cause "it helps hold my pantyhose up" came back with her head shaved last week and when asked about it announced she'd gotten a 'Brazillian' 'cause she'd heard it was all the rage.
Go peek at your sister, dream about your mother and share a pumpkin with your brother ... this is a Gamecock board.
Are you still here?
WELL? BYE!!!

I'd get called a "coot" if I posted this on my home site, so I'll just go ahead and post it here instead...
But, I tend to agree this year with USC folks who think that the cocks will have a better record than predicted, and Clemson will not do as well as predicted.

I'd love to think otherwise, but honestly, I just don't see double digit wins for the tigers this year. Going into last year, I didn't understand how USC fans had high expectations b/c I just don't think you can lose the number and level of talent that they lost and expect not to regress. You can't lose Clowney, Shaw and co. and maintain par. In fairness, I think the same applies to Clemson this year. Tigers can't lose the talent on our OL, DL and LB and expect to not regress. Yes, we still have our elite QB and very talented skill players, but no question we're going to feel those losses on our lines. I see us losing to FSU, ND and Louisville, with Georgia Tech, Miami, and USC as toss-ups.

As for USC, I think you beat UNC, Mizzou, A&M, TN and FL, with very winnable, toss-ups with LSU, UGA and Clemson. I think you have a talented team and will make some noise in the east. Ultimately, I think UGA wins the east, but I think you'll be in the hunt all year.

Ultimately, who knows...but this is how I'm feeling in the way too early pre-season.

Good post. Our schedule is tough. I think your team will win 10 games or at least 9. A good season for us will be 8 wins.

Agree with original poster. Amazing how negative some people are with what I would call a pretty honest evaluation of the upcoming season.

The OP makes a lot of good points.

A couple of comments though, I believe we are fine at WR. Other than bringing back Cooper (which should not be underestimated), we have some very talented guys who were redshirted last year that I believe can perform just as well as Byrd and Roland last year. In fact, with Roland leaving we may find ourselves in a situation of "addition by subtraction." With good receivers, a decent OL and good running backs, Mitch will have every opportunity to perform well.

Mitch is the wildcard, but he's talented and has had several years in the program. We should expect him to perform well. The schedule is difficult, but it always is in the SEC. Some teams will not be as good as we think, but some will be better. I think 9 wins is easily achievable if Mitch is a good QB. If he's average then 7-8 is more likely, if he's outstanding then I believe we can get back to 10+ wins.

2014 Gamecocks vs 2015 Gamecocks

WR - slight edge to 2014, just because of experience - talent wise I think the 2015 group is better.
TE - edge to 2014, we will still be good, but you cannot lose Busta and be better.
OL - edge to 2014, losing Cann and Robinson is huge. I think we will find the bodies by season end.
RB - edge 2015, hopefully the injury bug will leave us alone this year. I think Mon will see some action this year. I think Williams will have a bigger year than Davis of last year.
QB - push, Mitch has more upside than Thompson, but not the experience.
DT - slight edge to 2015, more experience over 2014, hopefully better coaching. We will be fine this year, but I do worry about the future at DT. I think we will need JC help for next year.
DE - big edge 2015, when a starter from 2014 is listed 3rd team, and might not see the field, you know the coaches know that the 2015 DE's will be better.
LB - edge 2015, more experience, plus your best 3 LBs return.
Spur - slight edge to 2014
DB - big edge to 2015, more players and experience this year.

I think the offense will look more like the 2012 and 2013 offense, slower than last year. Cooper is a rare talent, but I think his total yards will be down this year, not because of him, but because some others will carry some of his last year's load. Scoring will be down as well. But the offense will be as good this year. The defense will be a top 30 defense, huge improvement. The improvements will come from coaching, better players, more experience, and a slower offense.

Reactions: Stevetype
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT