ADVERTISEMENT

Opt-Outs by seasons end?

Sep 19, 2017
If the season gets any worse over the next few weeks, do you see any of the guys opting out to prepare for the draft? I don't see Rattler doing it regardless, but guys like Legette or Wells not wanting to risk further injuries, especially Legette who may go 1st rd now. Obviously opting out of a bowl may not even be an issue if they don't win 6, but with the next 2 being tough road games.....2-6 is going to be tough for guys to get up for every weekend after. Beamer will try to salvage what he can on the season, but this one just seems like a lost cause.

If the season gets any worse over the next few weeks, do you see any of the guys opting out to prepare for the draft? I don't see Rattler doing it regardless, but guys like Legette or Wells not wanting to risk further injuries, especially Legette who may go 1st rd now. Obviously opting out of a bowl may not even be an issue if they don't win 6, but with the next 2 being tough road games.....2-6 is going to be tough for guys to get up for every weekend after. Beamer will try to salvage what he can on the season, but this one just seems like a lost cause.

Certainly, there is always the possibility your scenario will come to pass. At least the Opt-Outs have a legitimate, well considered reason for their actions. Their future paychecks and their families futures.

However, what I fear more and, I have seen it in the past, are those who will quit .... but, not turn in their uniforms. You know exactly what I mean and what I'm talking about. Not to name names but during Muschump's reign, the team was full of them.

Reactions: SomebodyLookatThis
Our pro prospects should OPT OUT RIGHT NOW. I remember being so upset about the opt outs vs Notre Dame in the bowl and got lectured on “the game doesnt matter its whats best for them”; Well, NONE of our remaining games matter. We cant win the SEC East or any championship.

Every remaining game equals one win or loss on the final record, just like a bowl game. The Kentucky game means no more or less than if we played Toledo in the Pop Tart Bowl.

So our pro prospects should hang it up TODAY. Do whats best for themselves. I learned something from the Notre Dame opt out debates and its that 8-5 vs 9-4 doesn’t matter. No games actually matter unless we are competing for the East championship. 7-6 and a bowl win doesn’t matter its no different than 5-7 and no bowl

Unfortunately, yes.

I'd also like to thank Rattler for his time here. I've been impressed with the way that he has carried himself. When he came here, I had some concerns.

Rattler is incredible. He showed that his highlight season at OU was his norm, not the sophomore slump one. Had he gone to Alabama or Georgia instead of here he probably wins a Heisman and a national championship. Glad we gave him at least the weapons to show scouts he can play and will be drafted in an early round. He played his heart out for us

Our pro prospects should OPT OUT RIGHT NOW. I remember being so upset about the opt outs vs Notre Dame in the bowl and got lectured on “the game doesnt matter its whats best for them”; Well, NONE of our remaining games matter. We cant win the SEC East or any championship.

Every remaining game equals one win or loss on the final record, just like a bowl game. The Kentucky game means no more or less than if we played Toledo in the Pop Tart Bowl.

So our pro prospects should hang it up TODAY. Do whats best for themselves. I learned something from the Notre Dame opt out debates and its that 8-5 vs 9-4 doesn’t matter. No games actually matter unless we are competing for the East championship. 7-6 and a bowl win doesn’t matter its no different than 5-7 and no bowl

And to that ponit, in all honesty with a lot of teams now.....once they're out of the Playoff hunt, they pretty much hang it up. I think it got to where they made so MANY bowl games, that they just started to become irrelevant outside of the Big 6/Playoffs. There is just no pride or excitement anymore in just making a bowl game. Especially with the top 10-15 teams each year, it's almost like...Playoffs or I'm done.

We are not out of bowl contention OFFICIALLY yet, so I don't think you'll see opt outs.

Mentally checking out? We'll probably have a bit of that. Especially if we drop the next 2, as expected.

Each of those guys have NIL deals. My understanding is that they have to play out the season if they are healthy. Any bowl game would be optional and schools have the option to outbid a projected NFL signing bonus difference that could occur from an injury.

I'm neutral on the Beamer staff. However, I could see us winning one of the next two road games in an upset - especially if Wells comes back at full strength. Our offense looks entirely different with him on the field and Rattler having that 2nd receiver who can light it up once they catch the ball.

Missouri looks good but we could easily catch them sleeping. A&M has looked very average to spite their talent. Jimbo might be salivating at the opportunity for us to seal his fate and his $72mil buyout. Why would you want the stressors of College Station when you could take your suitcase of cash and head to the perfect location?

If we were to win one of the next two, you've got four home games to close out the season. Jacksonville State and Vandy look very winnable to set up a 5-5 record heading into games with UK and CU.

If I’m XL, I’m going at soon. Rattler needs the numbers for help. Everyone else on the team, you better stay and play another year of football.

Besides Rattler/XL; NO ONE IS GETTING DRAFTED!

If I’m XL, I’m going at soon. Rattler needs the numbers for help. Everyone else on the team, you better stay and play another year of football.

Besides Rattler/XL; NO ONE IS GETTING DRAFTED!

True.

It makes me wonder what the portal exits will look like though.

We are not out of bowl contention OFFICIALLY yet, so I don't think you'll see opt outs.

Mentally checking out? We'll probably have a bit of that. Especially if we drop the next 2, as expected.
IF (big if) there's a bowl game, many will certainly opt out, and then the team that had the least opt outs will automatically be favored to win.

Reactions: Lurker123

I agree as as long as we pull there scholarships. If they treat this as a business, then it’s a business decision on both sides. If I quit my job, there not paying me until December 31st!!

IF (big if) there's a bowl game, many will certainly opt out, and then the team that had the least opt outs will automatically be favored to win.
If we make a bowl we will be a 6-6 SEC team with lots of opt outs in some crap bowl vs a good G5 8-4/9-3 team who will see an SEC scalp, embarrass us, and we finish a sad 6-7.

Opting out IMMEDIATELY and just finish below .500 is better than getting spanked by Liberty or Wyoming in the Pop Tart Bowl

Reactions: bayrooster
Recruiting at this point means recruiting kids to stay too, even after they sign.

This year will be a tough sell.

Especially for the scrubs. Look at the weekly snap count. We are NOT even playing second and third teamers. Last week's starting center had only played 9 snaps all season prior to the Florida game (and Boy, did it show). We're even playing starters on special teams.

Why stay or even come to this Clown Show? So you can get a hug from Frank's Boy?

Meh. I can see guys suddenly wanting to be "closer to home", and going to some ACC school, or B12 school.

Someone will think we're squandering talent and accept some of these guys.
But have they demonstrated enough talent to be desired by those schools?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT