ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Advice on S & S type restaurant in Columbia

nikolas22

Dec 2, 2013
Sorry to post on football site...but I know things are slow in the summer...and I need advice.

I need to take my mother who is in her 90's to Columbia to meet some family for lunch.
She is hard of hearing...so she needs a fairly quiet place and is simple in her eating.

I know Columbia no longer has an S & S...is there any places in Columbia that you might recommend that 'older' folks would probably like and wouldn't be real crowded. Kind of a 'quiet' Cracker Barrel type place.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry to post on football site...but I know things are slow in the summer...and I need advice.

I need to take my mother who is in her 90's to Columbia to meet some family for lunch.
She is hard of hearing...so she needs a fairly quiet place and is simple in her eating.

I know Columbia no longer has an S & S...is there any places in Columbia that you might recommend that 'older' folks would probably like and wouldn't be real crowded. Kind of a 'quiet' Cracker Barrel type place.

Thanks!
Cracker Barrel, Lizards Thicket, the ones in Irmo seem to be the least crowded if you are near there. Depending on the type food she likes I could recommend more. Those are your two traditional southern style.

Thanks!
Lizards Thicket , is a great choice. Meat and three type place , many in the Columbia area . Very laid back family restaurant. Southern food. I remember eating at the original Lizards Thicket o. Broad river road across from SLED offices. Highly recommend

Thanks so much for responding! Was thinking about the least crowded! We are meeting with our 'small town/country' type relatives. I am thinking that type restaurant would be best...just want it as quiet as possible so we can sit and visit for a while....since none of us live in Columbia.

I think they opened the first one in the late 70's , somebody else may know more of the history

Lizards Thicket , is a great choice. Meat and three type place , many in the Columbia area . Very laid back family restaurant. Southern food. I remember eating at the original Lizards Thicket o. Broad river road across from SLED offices. Highly recommend

Been to that one many, many, MANY times.

That along with one downtown on Elmwood and the one in Blythewood are the best ones IMHO - and I'm certain I've hit them all over the years!!

Esso, mayhap I just forgot, but I don't recall you being a Cola native. No biggie either or. Just sayin'. =;-p

Last edited:
FWIW... Lizard's is the kind of place where they could serve you a TV dinner next to your plate, and you might not be able to tell the difference. I'm kind of amazed that people keep going back.

Been to that one many, many, MANY times.

That along with one downtown on Elmwood and the one in Blythewood are the best ones IMHO - and I'm certain I've hit them all over the years!!

Esso, mayhap I just forgot, but I don't recall you being a Cola native. No biggie either or. Just sayin'. =;-p

Actually , I did indeed grow up in the St Andrews area of Columbia and went to Irmo High. Went to Clemson then lived in TN for about 25 years. Now I am in Scottsdale AZ.

I have eaten at all the locations that you listed.

FWIW... Lizard's is the kind of place where they could serve you a TV dinner next to your plate, and you might not be able to tell the difference. I'm kind of amazed that people keep going back.

I haven't found that to be the case on any of my visits. Maybe you hit them on a bad day or something. Maybe you should give them another try.

Imo the food quality at Lizard's varies depending on location. Take out at the window can downright suck - smaller portions, screwed up orders, stale cornbread, etc. The restaurant in Cayce, the one on Elmwood Avenue, and the one in Lexington are the best from my experiences - they'll take food back and get it right if you complain, too. Again, jmo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT