ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chicago

stevestrat2

Jun 12, 2010
South Carolina
Going to Chicago next week for business- meetings knock off at 5:00.M-Th....never been to Chicago- recommendations on what to do to kill a few hours? Good pace to eat, something to do? Thx.

what part of town ru stayin' n? off the river, michagan ave?....

u can walk to just about anythin' or take the train. a very clean city safe, etc way too many places to say u must go to, but i esp enjoyed harry carays' for cocktails be 4 meals, near navy pier...................short walk is lawrys. the place for prime rib/steak.

sox n town next week as cubs hit the road 2morrow. hope yer weather is good

Every restaurant there is good, including the Chicago Chophouse and Gibson's (in fact they are all good). Go see the u-Boat at the Museum of Natural History. Go to the new view at the Hancock Center and just walk the streets. About 20x Columbia in population and 100x better!

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
Re: what part of town ru stayin' n? off the river, michagan ave?....

This post was edited on 4/18 10:27 PM by bosoxcock

I was just there the last week of March. Business trip, convention. Stayed at the Hilton. Check out Buddy Guy's place. He usually pops in on Thursday night.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hit Harry Caray's restaurant. The food is surprisingly good, and you could spend all day looking at the memorabilia on the walls and on display. Also, if you are in a pizza mood, the wife and I prefer Giordanni's. Other stuff depends on if you are a party guy or a touristy guy. I'm the latter so the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Sears Tower (with the 360 view), Hancock building, Navy Pier, Wrigley (take the tour...it is fairly cheap), The Cubbie Bear, and Soldier Field were musts for me. We also spent time driving to check out what is left of Al Capone stuff. T

Take a boat trip down the Chicago River and out into Lake Michigan, beautiful scenery of the Chicago skyline. Definitley Wrigley Field if you are a baseball fan...........Navy Pier, downtown museum's.

Originally posted by cockgun:
About 20x Columbia in population and 100x better!
Yep, especially if you like toll booths every two miles and really crappy roads…

Oh, and let's not forget the friggin' high taxes, the fantastic projects and the crap winters too….

Yeah, I can see how it's a 100x better than Columbia… =:cool:

This post was edited on 4/18 11:32 PM by TriumphCock

Originally posted by yeah,yeah:
Hit Harry Caray's restaurant. The food is surprisingly good, and you could spend all day looking at the memorabilia on the walls and on display. Also, if you are in a pizza mood, the wife and I prefer Giordanni's. Other stuff depends on if you are a party guy or a touristy guy. I'm the latter so the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Sears Tower (with the 360 view), Hancock building, Navy Pier, Wrigley (take the tour...it is fairly cheap), The Cubbie Bear, and Soldier Field were musts for me. We also spent time driving to check out what is left of Al Capone stuff. T
Yeah Yeah nailed it. Also, Ditka's is good. You can also check out the Sox if they are in town.

Get some Chicago style pizza: Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, Pequod

And don't forget to try a Vienna Beef hot dog!

If you are a carnivore, make sure you eat an Italian beef sangwich!! Al's #1 on Taylor St is worth the walk from downtown and worth the $$

The Natural Museum of History is a great place to visit, I could spent at least a week there.

Another place I always wanted to visit but didn't have the opportunity is the Museum of Science and Industry.

Yet another place I want to visit is the location of the old St. Valentine Day Massacre orchestrated by infamous Al Capote. Dang, I'm going to have to make another trip to Chicago.

Oh I forgot, Ron's of Japan is a great place to eat.
This post was edited on 4/19 5:55 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

Carson's Ribs - William Perry's favorite

Billy Goat Tavern in the Wriggly Building made famous on SNL's chee burger, chee burger

Second City Players ( proving ground for SNL )

Deep Dish Chicago Pizza ( I usually go to Uno's but they're all great )

Conrad Hilton Hotel ( many films made there including "The Fugitive") and Museum of Art across the street

Take the "L" to Wriggly Field and imbibe at Cubby's before the game.

Walk the Miracle Mile and take in Water Tower on Michigan Ave.

Sears Tower

And try a real Chicago hot dog

Rush Street and Michigan Ave (The Miracle Mile area, for bars and to party)
Loads of great restaurants, Rose's (across from the Peninsular Hotel for Italian), Harry Carry's for Bar/Deli specials, The Blue Parrot on Rush for Mexican (lol ... I wandered in not knowing it was their 50th anniversary, 9 piece wandering mariachi band, free food and free margaritas, so I may be bias).

The original Weber Grill was great..... 100's of GREAT restaurants.
The House of Blues, The Hershey Store, Navy Pier, Wrigley Field, the parks. Just walking the entire downtown area.

About 15-20 years ago, my company arrange an all-day 'scavenger hunt' throughout the entire city for about 200 of us. What a great way to find and experience the many wonderful things to do and see in ChiTown.

Originally posted by TriumphCock:

Originally posted by cockgun:
About 20x Columbia in population and 100x better!
Yep, especially if you like toll booths every two miles and really crappy roads…

Oh, and let's not forget the friggin' high taxes, the fantastic projects and the crap winters too….

Yeah, I can see how it's a 100x better than Columbia… =:cool:

This post was edited on 4/18 11:32 PM by TriumphCock
I've lived in both cities -- currently live in suburban Chicago. Cockgun is right -- Chicago is about 20x Columbia in population an 100x better. That's my opinion after living in both places.

Tolls can be avoided. The roads here are actually a lot better than the roads in Columbia and SC. Yes, there are pot holes as a result of the snow plows and cold winters, but not any more than any other big city.

High taxes? Sure, but incomes are higher than Columbia's. My net earnings when accounting for taxes put me in a position that is about 30 - 40% better than I was when I lived in Columbia and Charleston. That's a quick, conservative estimate.

Sarcasm not withstanding, I could see where Chicago is not for everybody. But, I'd put more weight in the opinion of someone that's lived in both places.

Last edited:
If you're a history fan try to see the only submarine captured in WWII. It's a German uboat. Fascinating tour and story.

Re: what part of town ru stayin' n? off the river, michagan ave?....

Originally posted by bosoxcock:
This post was edited on 4/18 10:27 PM by bosoxcock
I am staying at the Warwick hotel. Looks like it is on corner of N Michigan & E Huron.

Originally posted by Mr CockStrong:

I've lived in both cities -- currently live in suburban Chicago. Cockgun is right -- Chicago is about 20x Columbia in population an 100x better. That's my opinion after living in both places.

Tolls can be avoided. The roads here are actually a lot better than the roads in Columbia and SC. Yes, there are pot holes as a result of the snow plows and cold winters, but not any more than any other big city. That's a quick, conservative estimate.

High taxes? Sure, but incomes are higher than Columbia's. My net earnings when accounting for taxes put me in a position that is about 30 - 40% better than I was when I lived in Columbia and Charleston.

Sarcasm not withstanding, I could see where Chicago is not for everybody. But, I'd put more weight in the opinion of someone that's lived in both places.
Do not make the mistake and assume that I don't have some basis for my observations… Although I haven't lived there, I have visited and driven through the Chicago metro area a number of times. And the roads suck and the tolls are ridiculous… For the amount of money collected from gas taxes and tolls, I would expect the interstates to not loosen the fillings in my teeth and beat the hell out of my motorcycle and trailer… as I pay $20 to go bouncing along I-90 from the Indiana line to Crystal Lake… and really, isn't having toll booths on an interstate, like, un-American or something?

Now, as far as places to go, eat, etc.. It would be expected that such a huge metro area would have the upper hand… Do we need to discuss the winter thing?? I've never heard of anyone moving north to retire… =;-)

What I take exception to with blanket statements such as "Chicago being 100x better" is that it's from one persons perspective and what they may like in a living environment/situation… and yes, if you want a large urban situation with all the entertainment/eating options that it contains, Chicago would be high on the list… But what if you don't like living in large urban areas with all the attendant traffic, crowds, etc.? Is it still "100x better"? For me and from my perspective, no, no it's not… If Cockgun had prefaced his statement with: "for what I want out of a place to live… ", I wouldn't have said a word….

I have enjoyed my time in the area… in the summer…but for me… it's no contest… Nice place to visit… wouldn't want to live there… But to tell the truth… I could dig an Italian Beef right about now…. =:cool:

This post was edited on 4/20 9:40 PM by TriumphCock

Well said Triumph. Bottom line is we all should aspire to live where our light shines brightest.

For me, Columbia was fun for college but I wouldn't live there now. I live in Chicago and experience the best it has. I don't own a car so there is no traffic for me. I'm a foodie so I appreciate the extremely high level of cuisine offered here and I am not talking about any of the places listed above. I am a huge sports fan and I love the energy here in that regard. Same with cultural activities as I love having the flexibility to be within a 5 min bike ride of the opera, symphony & numerous theaters so I attend when I want. I live right by the lake so I run and bike on the lakefront pretty much daily. The winter - well they have gore-tex for that. With the proper clothing, it isn't a big deal. I bike year-round actually. Think of the weather this way - both places have 2 months when you would prefer not to be outside, South has a superior Spring, Chicago has a superior Fall. That said, if I had to live in a suburb with a car & long train ride into the city, I'd give a strong look at returning to say Charlotte.

Onto the original post - go to Pequod's for pizza. It is head and shoulders above the other options mentioned. Avoid Navy Pier. It is a tourist trap. I'd definitely recommend a Chicago Architectural Walk or even better Architectural Boat Cruise. I've lived here for some number of years and I do the Architectural Walks/Cruises quite frequently. Portillo's in a serviceable option for Chicago hot dogs. Harry Carays on Dearborn (original) is also a place worth going. Eataly is a neat place and is within walking distance. Might be worth cabbing it to the West Loop for Au Cheval for one of the better burgers in town. Consider Kuma's Corner for the best in town but there is going to be a wait.

Check out Metromix Chicago for more "Best of" suggestions.

Well said Triumph. Bottom line is we all should aspire to live where our light shines brightest.

For me, Columbia was fun for college but I wouldn't live there now. I live in Chicago and experience the best it has. I don't own a car so there is no traffic for me. I'm a foodie so I appreciate the extremely high level of cuisine offered here and I am not talking about any of the places listed above. I am a huge sports fan and I love the energy here in that regard. Same with cultural activities as I love having the flexibility to be within a 5 min bike ride of the opera, symphony & numerous theaters so I attend when I want. I live right by the lake so I run and bike on the lakefront pretty much daily. The winter - well they have gore-tex for that. With the proper clothing, it isn't a big deal. I bike year-round actually. Think of the weather this way - both places have 2 months when you would prefer not to be outside, South has a superior Spring, Chicago has a superior Fall. That said, if I had to live in a suburb with a car & long train ride into the city, I'd give a strong look at returning to say Charlotte.

Onto the original post - go to Pequod's for pizza. It is head and shoulders above the other options mentioned. Avoid Navy Pier. It is a tourist trap. I'd definitely recommend a Chicago Architectural Walk or even better Architectural Boat Cruise. I've lived here for some number of years and I do the Architectural Walks/Cruises quite frequently. Portillo's in a serviceable option for Chicago hot dogs. Harry Carays on Dearborn (original) is also a place worth going. Eataly is a neat place and is within walking distance. Might be worth cabbing it to the West Loop for Au Cheval for one of the better burgers in town. Consider Kuma's Corner for the best in town but there is going to be a wait.

Check out Metromix Chicago for more "Best of" suggestions.

I have lived in both Chicago and New York and New York is by far the better place to be. There is much more to do in New York and a lot more opportunity there. You should consider moving to New York if you really want to be where there is much more culture and diversity than in Chicago.

The Museum of Science and Technology. See the U-boat. I was there in 1981. I'm still in line to see the U\boat.

I have lived in both Chicago and New York and New York is by far the better place to be. There is much more to do in New York and a lot more opportunity there. You should consider moving to New York if you really want to be where there is much more culture and diversity than in Chicago.

I disagree with New York being much nicer than Chicago. I have been to Chicago about 20 times in the last year and to me it is much nicer than New York any day. There are many things I like about Chicago over New York, but it is mainly the people are much nicer than New Yorkers. They are not loud, obnoxious and know it all's like New Yorkers.

As for as restaurants, Del Friscos Double Eagle steakhouse is really great. Gibsons, Eddie V's, Joe Stone Crab are also very good.

I disagree with New York being much nicer than Chicago. I have been to Chicago about 20 times in the last year and to me it is much nicer than New York any day. There are many things I like about Chicago over New York, but it is mainly the people are much nicer than New Yorkers. They are not loud, obnoxious and know it all's like New Yorkers.

As for as restaurants, Del Friscos Double Eagle steakhouse is really great. Gibsons, Eddie V's, Joe Stone Crab are also very good.

It is a myth that New Yorkers are loud and obnoxious. I have met some of the nicest people I know in New York.

People in Chicago are fine but there is just so much more to do in New York. It is truly a world class city.

Do not make the mistake and assume that I don't have some basis for my observations… Although I haven't lived there, I have visited and driven through the Chicago metro area a number of times. And the roads suck and the tolls are ridiculous… For the amount of money collected from gas taxes and tolls, I would expect the interstates to not loosen the fillings in my teeth and beat the hell out of my motorcycle and trailer… as I pay $20 to go bouncing along I-90 from the Indiana line to Crystal Lake… and really, isn't having toll booths on an interstate, like, un-American or something?

Now, as far as places to go, eat, etc.. It would be expected that such a huge metro area would have the upper hand… Do we need to discuss the winter thing?? I've never heard of anyone moving north to retire… =;-)

What I take exception to with blanket statements such as "Chicago being 100x better" is that it's from one persons perspective and what they may like in a living environment/situation… and yes, if you want a large urban situation with all the entertainment/eating options that it contains, Chicago would be high on the list… But what if you don't like living in large urban areas with all the attendant traffic, crowds, etc.? Is it still "100x better"? For me and from my perspective, no, no it's not… If Cockgun had prefaced his statement with: "for what I want out of a place to live… ", I wouldn't have said a word….

I have enjoyed my time in the area… in the summer…but for me… it's no contest… Nice place to visit… wouldn't want to live there… But to tell the truth… I could dig an Italian Beef right about now…. =:cool:

This post was edited on 4/20 9:40 PM by TriumphCock

Here's what I was trying, but failed to convey ....

Visiting or conducting business here intermittently will not give you a real feel for what this city truly is like. Yes, driving from Indiana to Crystal Lake is a pain in the ass. But I don't know anyone who does that on a daily basis. Those that do must be nuts. The general commute gets heavy, but the roads aren't too bad. I live in the Naperville/Plainfield area in the Western suburb. Most of my commutes take me along I-55 or I-80. Both interstates are toll free. There are a boatload of activities to do in my suburban area as well as some terrific restaurants. (from high-end such as Gibson's, Red Stone, and McCormick and Scmick, to low-end local ... Baby Back Blues, Portillo's, Café Salsa, etc.) The property across the street from my backyard is a 400 acre farm. There are about a dozen subdivisions all around, but I'm on the outskirts -- it really is like living in the country, with easy access to suburban business and a 45 minute trip into downtown Chicago.

Eric (CockyinChicago) gave you a view of living downtown since he doesn't own a car. He also states very eloquently that it really is more about where your light shines brightest. That's the point I failed to convey. And, you are so correct ... I've never heard of anybody retiring up north. :) But, surely there are a lot of us that want leverage peak earnings before were retire in the South.

The winters here don't bother me. After spending the first 35 years of my life between, Columbia, Wilmington, Asheville, and Charleston, I welcome winters and snow. The funny thing that occurs here that nobody mentioned before I moved here is the availability and activity of indoor water parks. There are a ton of them within an easy drive of Chicago. I vacationed for an extended weekend at one of them (The Wilderness Resort) in Wisconsin Dells a few years ago, and almost felt like I was in Florida during my stay. To top it off, there was a ski slope just 20 minutes south of the resort in Madison, WI. I know the snow isn't for everyone, but it certainly was right up my alley after living in SC and NC with the heat and the type work I did while I lived there.

Is Chicago 100x better than Columbia? Well, to me it is. But, for somebody that has different goals than me, it probably isn't -- it might be the opposite. For the current time, I'm just enjoying the heck out of living in Chicagoland, and still visiting my family back in Columbia occasionally.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockgun
I minced words. For several years, my employer assigned me Chicago as one of two major cities that would be my territory. I grew to love it any season. I have driven all over Chicagoland from every angle and to both state lines. I think what separates me from others is that I am now older, do not travel with a trailer and can afford to live in the downtown metro area where all I have to do is hail a cab or order a limo to the airport. Yes, I do believe Chicago would be a fabulous place to live. By the way, I have been to almost every metro in the US except Pittsburgh and San Diego. I have also lived for weeks at a time in London and Paris, Germany, Austria and have extensive visits to Tokyo and Shanghai. I feel that I can judge a city.

Last edited:
Going to Chicago next week for business- meetings knock off at 5:00.M-Th....never been to Chicago- recommendations on what to do to kill a few hours? Good pace to eat, something to do? Thx.
Go to the Lazy Lobster it is a nice Sports Bar, with great Beer selection,Crab Legs and Wings about a mile from The Bulls arena!! Sexy waitresses also, I went there when I was in Chicago and loved it

It is a myth that New Yorkers are loud and obnoxious. I have met some of the nicest people I know in New York.

People in Chicago are fine but there is just so much more to do in New York. It is truly a world class city.

I've lived and worked in both. Curious why exactly that you think there is so much more to do in NYC outside of 2 NBA, NFL & NHL teams versus 1 of each that is.

Both cities are very comparable in food, performing arts, museums, parks and professional sports. Chicago has a far better craft beer scene. The pizza is up for debate.

Whatever your interest from mild to wild, I don't think you would lack for anything to do in either city - both in terms of quantity or quality.

I definitely agree that NY'ers are not all lock, stock and barrel loud and obnoxious. Not to say that all people in Boston are either, but I tend to think the percentage of loud in obnoxious is higher in Boston than NY or Chicago because Boston tends to have a bit of a chip on its shoulder because it wants to be perceived like NYC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT