ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric golf push carts

OldWiseCock

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia
I'm 67 and walk 18-27 holes every week, but my back is giving out from pushing a cart for 5 hours. I don't want to ride because I like the exercise, but I'm sore the next day. So I've been looking at electric 3 wheel push carts with a remote. The problem is they are very expensive and the low end ones for $1,000 or so, like Bat-Caddy, are not reliable. You have to spend close to $2,000 for one which gets good reviews.

This company out in Oregon has come up with a device for $800 that converts an existing 3 wheel cart into an electric cart. You can do it with most any brand cart from Clic Gear to Sun Mountain to Cart Trek. The drive mechanism is the same but they make mounting brackets for each brand. I ordered one for my Clic Gear 3.5, and it came yesterday. It was shipped free by FedEx. I watched it come all the way across the country from Oregon, to Utah, to Denver, to KC, to Kentucky then Atlanta and Columbia. Took about a week to get here. What impressed me was how it was packed. Whoever did this took a lot of care and pride in their work. Not only was it carefully packed, it was done in a way that unpacking was easy.

It took me about an hour to unpack it, remove the wheels from my cart and install the new brackets. There's an online video about how to install it which I had watched a couple of times so that made it simple. To keep it from tipping, the axle is wider and it comes with two detachable wheels on the back. The battery is integrated into a water tight compartment in the drive rather than in a bag which sits above the wheels. The battery is still removeable and replaceable. Really ingenious device.

I charged the battery last night and will take it for a test spin today. I feel like I need to get a feel for it by driving it around my yard before I play a round this weekend.

Reactions: redrogers
And I thought I was special because I just bought a new cart bag that locks into place on my Bag Boy Tri-Swivel cart without straps. pffftt

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I'm 67 and walk 18-27 holes every week, but my back is giving out from pushing a cart for 5 hours. I don't want to ride because I like the exercise, but I'm sore the next day. So I've been looking at electric 3 wheel push carts with a remote. The problem is they are very expensive and the low end ones for $1,000 or so, like Bat-Caddy, are not reliable. You have to spend close to $2,000 for one which gets good reviews.

This company out in Oregon has come up with a device for $800 that converts an existing 3 wheel cart into an electric cart. You can do it with most any brand cart from Clic Gear to Sun Mountain to Cart Trek. The drive mechanism is the same but they make mounting brackets for each brand. I ordered one for my Clic Gear 3.5, and it came yesterday. It was shipped free by FedEx. I watched it come all the way across the country from Oregon, to Utah, to Denver, to KC, to Kentucky then Atlanta and Columbia. Took about a week to get here. What impressed me was how it was packed. Whoever did this took a lot of care and pride in their work. Not only was it carefully packed, it was done in a way that unpacking was easy.

It took me about an hour to unpack it, remove the wheels from my cart and install the new brackets. There's an online video about how to install it which I had watched a couple of times so that made it simple. To keep it from tipping, the axle is wider and it comes with two detachable wheels on the back. The battery is integrated into a water tight compartment in the drive rather than in a bag which sits above the wheels. The battery is still removeable and replaceable. Really ingenious device.

I charged the battery last night and will take it for a test spin today. I feel like I need to get a feel for it by driving it around my yard before I play a round this weekend.

I think you need more power

hqdefault.jpg

How did it work?
It worked like a charm. I drove it around the front yard with my bag and it is really easy to maneuver on grass. On pavement it is a little tricky if it is uneven. I would not turn it 90 degrees at a stop. The front wheel on my Clic Gear is fixed and it drags the front wheel. I will probably still use the handle a good bit to lift the front wheel and turn it. When it is moving turning left or right works much better - especially on grass.

It has several forward speeds and you can run it 30 and 60 yards ahead and it will stop automatically. Some sort of built in gyroscope keeps it in a straight line.

The battery is supposed to last 36 holes but that was probably measured on a flat course. The course I play is very hilly so I probably can't get much more than 18 holes from a charge.

I'll know more after Sunday.

It worked like a charm. I drove it around the front yard with my bag and it is really easy to maneuver on grass. On pavement it is a little tricky if it is uneven. I would not turn it 90 degrees at a stop. The front wheel on my Clic Gear is fixed and it drags the front wheel. I will probably still use the handle a good bit to lift the front wheel and turn it. When it is moving turning left or right works much better - especially on grass.

It has several forward speeds and you can run it 30 and 60 yards ahead and it will stop automatically. Some sort of built in gyroscope keeps it in a straight line.

The battery is supposed to last 36 holes but that was probably measured on a flat course. The course I play is very hilly so I probably can't get much more than 18 holes from a charge.

I have looked at the electric carts before but just couldn’t see that kind of investment especially for a want to have versus need to have. I’m still using an old pull cart I bought on clearance from Kmart in the 90s and it’s getting a bit rough.

I have looked at the electric carts before but just couldn’t see that kind of investment especially for a want to have versus need to have. I’m still using an old pull cart I bought on clearance from Kmart in the 90s and it’s getting a bit rough.
I had a 2 wheel pull cart for 5 or 6 years. When it broke I upgraded. If I were starting from scratch I'd consider a 3 wheel push cart with a swivel front wheel like a Bag Boy or Rovic. If you add the eWheel from Alphard it will be much more maneuverable.

Figure $250 for the cart and $800 for the ewheel booster. I think what you end up with is much better than the ones on the market for $1200 or so. Now, if you really want spiffy, you can get the high end models with the follow behind feature. Those run about 2 grand or more.

The ewheel has an optional follow behind tether. It's basically a wire that you hook to your belt. It runs into a spool that can detect your movements and send a signal via bluetooth to the drive unit. I've seen a demo and frankly it looks a little cheesy to me.

Reactions: Dizzy01
So they are electric carts that you push......

....and they are expensive.......
Even with the really high end ones with the follow behind feature you will have to guide it with your hand occasionally. If it is following you and you forget and step over a curb or a tree root, or walk too close to a bunker ... well, there ya go ...

Even with the really high end ones with the follow behind feature you will have to guide it with your hand occasionally. If it is following you and you forget and step over a curb or a tree root, or walk too close to a bunker ... well, there ya go ...

I can see how that could be serious if you forget about it: like on Monday when you go back to work, and when you walk through the employee entrance, and the Boss is standing there, and he looks out behind you and says, "Harry, what the hell is THAT?!?!?"

It could be very embarrassing. Kinda like those dreams where you go to school or to work, and somehow forgot to put on pants.....

I can see how that could be serious if you forget about it: like on Monday when you go back to work, and when you walk through the employee entrance, and the Boss is standing there, and he looks out behind you and says, "Harry, what the hell is THAT?!?!?"

It could be very embarrassing. Kinda like those dreams where you go to school or to work, and somehow forgot to put on pants.....
Hopefully, you would figure it out the night before when your wife says, "that is NOT coming to bed with us."

Looks like all kinds of fun.
That's the one I saw.

One thing though. The video talks about speeding up the game. I don't like speed golf. For me, the joy of golf is to spend an afternoon outside and enjoy the sun and fresh air with my buddies.

What we are finding as we walking the course is that we are overrun by guys trying to play 18 holes in 2 hours. They run up behind you on the greens and tee boxes and disrupt our play. Most of the time they don't bother to line up their shot or a putt. If they miss they just pick up the ball and move on. That is a different game for which they should have a different course. Another option is for courses to set aside a block of time for speed golfers. I want to enjoy my afternoon.

I'm an old guy, but I can walk 18 holes in 4 hours.

Reactions: uscg1984
Pretty easy to use. Just keep eye on it going over hills. If you got the tether, practice a bit with it. I dont turn it on till I am on the tee, saves battery.
No, I didn't get the tether. I just have the remote. I don't plan to be far from it when walking. Going up and down hills I plan to keep my hand on the cart. There are 3 holes where I know I'll have trouble. One is a steep climb up to the green. The other two have steep inclines or rough terrain. Wheelies or not I'm going to be careful on those 3 holes.

Reactions: GamecockinHouston
That's the one I saw.

One thing though. The video talks about speeding up the game. I don't like speed golf. For me, the joy of golf is to spend an afternoon outside and enjoy the sun and fresh air with my buddies.

What we are finding as we walking the course is that we are overrun by guys trying to play 18 holes in 2 hours. They run up behind you on the greens and tee boxes and disrupt our play. Most of the time they don't bother to line up their shot or a putt. If they miss they just pick up the ball and move on. That is a different game for which they should have a different course. Another option is for courses to set aside a block of time for speed golfers. I want to enjoy my afternoon.

Not to derail the thread, but your reply stood out to me. I used to play a lot of golf, but only played a few rounds over the last 15 years until recently when my son decided he wanted to learn the sport. When I played regularly years ago, I don't recall a big emphasis on pace of play, but I've noticed now that more and more courses feel the need to remind you how long your round should take, even to the point of putting a couple of clocks around the course and printing an estimated time for every hole on the score card. I agree with you that a recreational activity shouldn't be stressful. I shouldn't have to feel like I have to play the entire course with a sense of urgency.

I understand how annoying slow golfers who are oblivious of those behind them can be. But, in my opinion, they are no less annoying than a speed-golfer, constantly pressuring the group in front. If you want to play speed-golf on a Tuesday morning, fine. But don't go out on a crowded Saturday afternoon expecting 18 different groups to let you play through.

I read a WSJ article a couple of months ago about how the golf industry was dealing with declining interest in the sport. The article said an industry survey found that the #1 reason young professionals responded they didn't play more often is that it takes too much time. Somehow, it seems the industry has decided this means they need to hurry everybody up? Newsflash: if you are a young professional, "because I don't have time" is the answer to why they don't engage in EVERY recreational activity more. It is what it is. If you only have 2hrs to play golf on a weeknight but you really want to play, play 9 holes.

Not to derail the thread, but your reply stood out to me. I used to play a lot of golf, but only played a few rounds over the last 15 years until recently when my son decided he wanted to learn the sport. When I played regularly years ago, I don't recall a big emphasis on pace of play, but I've noticed now that more and more courses feel the need to remind you how long your round should take, even to the point of putting a couple of clocks around the course and printing an estimated time for every hole on the score card. I agree with you that a recreational activity shouldn't be stressful. I shouldn't have to feel like I have to play the entire course with a sense of urgency.

I understand how annoying slow golfers who are oblivious of those behind them can be. But, in my opinion, they are no less annoying than a speed-golfer, constantly pressuring the group in front. If you want to play speed-golf on a Tuesday morning, fine. But don't go out on a crowded Saturday afternoon expecting 18 different groups to let you play through.

I read a WSJ article a couple of months ago about how the golf industry was dealing with declining interest in the sport. The article said an industry survey found that the #1 reason young professionals responded they didn't play more often is that it takes too much time. Somehow, it seems the industry has decided this means they need to hurry everybody up? Newsflash: if you are a young professional, "because I don't have time" is the answer to why they don't engage in EVERY recreational activity more. It is what it is. If you only have 2hrs to play golf on a weeknight but you really want to play, play 9 holes.
Thanks. Enjoyed reading this.

Frankly, the pace of life has gotten faster, but it is also the need to feel stimulated. A 4.5 hour round means there will be times when you wait for your group to hit, line up a putt and sometimes to look for a ball. That's part of golf. But younger people (whatever the 20 something year olds are called now) need more stimulation. If they are not hitting a ball, or even if they are driving from one shot to the next, they consider it wasted time.

That's the one I saw.

Do they even putt? We’ve noticed a lot of groups now just play up to the green and then pick up and go without even putting. I’m within 20 yards that’s a gimme right?

Do they even putt? We’ve noticed a lot of groups now just play up to the green and then pick up and go without even putting. I’m within 20 yards that’s a gimme right?
The groups that I have seen don't even pick up a ball in the woods. They drop another one nearby and hit. When they get to the green they don't line up a putt. They whack it twice and then pick up. What they are doing is a different game entirely. They need a different course than a standard golf course or they need to block off a different time slot for them.

SPEED GOLF: WED AND THURS AFTER 3 PM ONLY!!

Interested how your round went today with the power push cart. I rather walk than ride and usually carry my clubs because I don't like push carts. We just bought a house on a golf course and I'm torn between buying a golf cart or a power push cart. I live in the low country and our courses here are relatively flat so I enjoy walking.

I play with three friends who all have the same model of very nice electric carts. These are completely remote controlled. You only put your hand on the handle if you want to. They have all accessorized theirs with padded seats and an extra storage bag. These carts fold and unfold easily and don't require a lot of space. Very nice. I think they have around $2,000 in them but if that is incorrect, I will edit or otherwise let people know.

A foursome should finish a round of golf in a little under four hours. All it requires is being ready when it's your turn and someone hitting when a person who is out of position gets in position.

Example: a person has a bunker shot from a greenside bunker, plays it, and has to rake the bunker and come up onto the green. The other players are on the green. One or more of them have time to putt while the person who was in the bunker gets ready to putt. A person hits his ball into the woods or well into the rough and is making his way to the ball - or perhaps looking for the ball. Another player can hit while this is going on. If several people are involved in hunting a ball, they can peel off one at a time and hit. The search can be taken up by people who have already hit. Common sense procedures are not obtrusive but move the game along.

My group typically finishes in 3.5 hours to 3 hours and 40 minutes. We usually have at least two walkers, sometimes three. It is done without rushing or otherwise sacrificing enjoyment.

Interested how your round went today with the power push cart. I rather walk than ride and usually carry my clubs because I don't like push carts. We just bought a house on a golf course and I'm torn between buying a golf cart or a power push cart. I live in the low country and our courses here are relatively flat so I enjoy walking.
It went well. I used about half the charge in 18 holes. I only had trouble twice. Both times I was careless and tried to negotiate a tight space. It will not go up a steep incline unless you have your hand on it to hold it steady. I tried and it raised up high in the front. The other time i took a short cut and some deep ruts threw it into bushes. I was able to grab it so it was not a crash.

A foursome should finish a round of golf in a little under four hours. All it requires is being ready when it's your turn and someone hitting when a person who is out of position gets in position.

Example: a person has a bunker shot from a greenside bunker, plays it, and has to rake the bunker and come up onto the green. The other players are on the green. One or more of them have time to putt while the person who was in the bunker gets ready to putt. A person hits his ball into the woods or well into the rough and is making his way to the ball - or perhaps looking for the ball. Another player can hit while this is going on. If several people are involved in hunting a ball, they can peel off one at a time and hit. The search can be taken up by people who have already hit. Common sense procedures are not obtrusive but move the game along.

My group typically finishes in 3.5 hours to 3 hours and 40 minutes. We usually have at least two walkers, sometimes three. It is done without rushing or otherwise sacrificing enjoyment.
The hilly course I play takes us about 4 hours to 4 hours 10 minutes to play. It's not an easy track - narrow fairways, lots of dog legs, and water and sand. We let faster golfers play through. We have one hacker in our group and if he is struggling it slows us down. We have played in under 4 hours.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT