ADVERTISEMENT

Our football team could be bad for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bashby33

Dec 1, 2004
I'm typically much more a sunshine pumper than doom and gloomer but things are looking bad. Several years ago I tried to discuss our downward recruiting trend on TIF but of course we were coming off some of the greatest years in program history so my post was not taken very well. I read the comments about the coaches knowing more than me and hoped they were right. Now I think everyone sees our recruiting has been awful, at least for SEC standards. This past season doesnt concern me in terms of our future. What does worry me though is the shape Spurrier is going to leave our program in.

Currently, our team recruiting rankings are in the 50s. I'm aware its only June and there is a lot of time. Normally I would not be concerned, now however I dont see any way SOS is going to recruit at a level high enough to turn this program over in decent shape to his successor. Hopefully I am wrong, but its looking like one press conference may have set us back a decade.

Please tell me I'm wrong! Any thoughts on how Spurrier/Tanner can fix things in the next year?

You are correct. We may be in worse shape when the HBC leaves because of who his replacement may be. At least when Holtz left, we had a good replacement. Spurrier does not have his heart in the program anymore. He can't wait until he retires to Florida, to play golf and jet across the USA. I bet after he leaves he won't mention the Carolina job. It will be all Florida, like Holtz could not stop talking about Notre Dame.

Reactions: conCOCKshon
You mean the program could be mediocre for a long time. I don't know if top 20 recruiting could be considered bad.

That said, some of the coaches added in past three years were a downgrade and need to go back to the little leagues.

Reactions: Bleedgandb3334
I'm typically much more a sunshine pumper than doom and gloomer but things are looking bad. Several years ago I tried to discuss our downward recruiting trend on TIF but of course we were coming off some of the greatest years in program history so my post was not taken very well. I read the comments about the coaches knowing more than me and hoped they were right. Now I think everyone sees our recruiting has been awful, at least for SEC standards. This past season doesnt concern me in terms of our future. What does worry me though is the shape Spurrier is going to leave our program in.

Currently, our team recruiting rankings are in the 50s. I'm aware its only June and there is a lot of time. Normally I would not be concerned, now however I dont see any way SOS is going to recruit at a level high enough to turn this program over in decent shape to his successor. Hopefully I am wrong, but its looking like one press conference may have set us back a decade.

Please tell me I'm wrong! Any thoughts on how Spurrier/Tanner can fix things in the next year?
I'm not sure what you mean by "bad", but the possibility of a series of 7-8 win seasons has never been far from reality for us. I hope this doesn't seem fatalistic, but when I look at the recruiting base we have in our home state, we're always going to be challenged to be more than middle of the pack in the SEC. With that said, we should expect an exceptional season every now and then with an SEC East title and eventually an SEC title. I think that we would need to have a lot of breaks fall our way for that to happen.

Well, let's not play this year...

Tell Spurrier don't worry about coaching this year, just go out and play golf...

Tell the players that they need to look for another schools, the fans have packed it in June and it's not worth coming out this fall to support the program...

Make William Brice into new dorms and put a pools in both end zones...

Season is over and done proclaimed by Gamecock fans on June 5, 2015...

Reactions: ownCU

Tell Spurrier don't worry about coaching this year, just go out and play golf...

Tell the players that they need to look for another schools, the fans have packed it in June and it's not worth coming out this fall to support the program...

this .......its over we will be lucky to win 2 games.....2 max:rolleyes:

Maybe The citadel, and maybe Vandy if they come in overconfident.

we be doomed:-(

b86491a76c5008c5618a4b6e02e91923.jpg

C'mon 3rd base, you're better than this. It's a conversation topic, don't be "that" guy.

You are correct. We may be in worse shape when the HBC leaves because of who his replacement may be. At least when Holtz left, we had a good replacement. Spurrier does not have his heart in the program anymore. He can't wait until he retires to Florida, to play golf and jet across the USA. I bet after he leaves he won't mention the Carolina job. It will be all Florida, like Holtz could not stop talking about Notre Dame.

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at comments such as "Spurrier does not have his heart in the program anymore." Really? And you know this how? Because you follow him every day and see what he and his coaches do every day? Or is it just because you see a random photo of him on the golf course from time to time and assume he's just mailing it in.
From everything I have ever seen about him, that guy is as competitive as they come. If the program slides, I do not think it's from a lack of effort. I tend to agree with the other post: SC is not a consistantly strong state to recruit from compared to others in the SEC, so the program will be at a disadvantage in that regard. The three 11 win seasons were awesome, and as fans you should expect and want a high level of play, but realistically, it's just not going to happen.

Go Gamecocks.

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at comments such as "Spurrier does not have his heart in the program anymore." Really? And you know this how? Because you follow him every day and see what he and his coaches do every day? Or is it just because you see a random photo of him on the golf course from time to time and assume he's just mailing it in.
From everything I have ever seen about him, that guy is as competitive as they come. If the program slides, I do not think it's from a lack of effort. I tend to agree with the other post: SC is not a consistantly strong state to recruit from compared to others in the SEC, so the program will be at a disadvantage in that regard. The three 11 win seasons were awesome, and as fans you should expect and want a high level of play, but realistically, it's just not going to happen.

Go Gamecocks.
I stick by my comment. Spurrier revealed how he really felt with the 2-3 year comment. Then he tries to do damage control with the 4 -5 year plan. Give me a break, he is headed out of here as soon as this year, maybe next. Tanner is the only reason he made the 4-5 year statement. He doesn't care what shape he leaves the program in. That way he knows people will always be talking about the 11 win seasons and how the ole ball coach had it going for a short time.

Tell the OP not to be that guy.

Are people not allowed to voice their opinions? I think we are going to be an average (8-4 or 9-3) SEC team until Spurrier retires. Will always love him and what he has done for us but he has gotten to soft and too stubborn in his old age. I firmly believe we will hire another killer replacement for him in a few years and get back on top of things. USC is a premiere coaching job now so it would be hard to find a home run hire.

Reactions: Conway Cock
I stick by my comment. Spurrier revealed how he really felt with the 2-3 year comment. Then he tries to do damage control with the 4 -5 year plan. Give me a break, he is headed out of here as soon as this year, maybe next. Tanner is the only reason he made the 4-5 year statement. He doesn't care what shape he leaves the program in. That way he knows people will always be talking about the 11 win seasons and how the ole ball coach had it going for a short time.

Get a real chuckle reading comments like this. Sounds like a Spurrier shadow, following every step the HBC makes. The thing is though, the comments aren't close. If anything, coach has looked more determined to get the program back to where it was a couple of seasons ago. Why would someone, with the success he has had, and the money he has, stick around if his heart isn't into it? That does nothing but make him look bad. Just don't think he is that way.
Looking forward to a fun, exciting season.

The 2 to 3 year comment....beat that dead horse.

He make the 2 or 3 year comment. People complained ,he went back and said no no no 4 or 5 years and people complained.

Reactions: chick75
I have no clue what a few years down the road will bring and neither does anyone else. I didn't see an SEC east title in 2009 after the 2008, 7-6 record and I certainly didn't see three straight 11-2 records after that. I think I will just wait and decide what will happen, when it happens. This is nothing but an ignorant post about something that no one has any clue about. Like I said....I will let each season play itself out and not worry over something that may or may not happen. I heard the same thing after the 2008 season....Spurriers time has come and gone....he is going to retire....we have no talent to compete in the SEC....yea....heard it all before. Not pumping sunshine, but not falling for this crap either....

Boy there are some big football and Spurrier insiders who post here. I guess you'll be standing on the podium with Coach Spurrier when he announces he's hanging it up.

The truth is he'll keep going as long as he feels good and still loves it. That may be 1 year or it may be 6 years or more. Say what you want, but Spurrier is STILL one of the best offensive stategists in the game today and I think we'll see marked improvement on the defensive side of the ball this year. I'm expecting somewhere around 9 wins personally.

Boy there are some big football and Spurrier insiders who post here. I guess you'll be standing on the podium with Coach Spurrier when he announces he's hanging it up.

The truth is he'll keep going as long as he feels good and still loves it. That may be 1 year or it may be 6 years or more. Say what you want, but Spurrier is STILL one of the best offensive stategists in the game today and I think we'll see marked improvement on the defensive side of the ball this year. I'm expecting somewhere around 9 wins personally.

And you know this because you're a Spurrier insider? You gonna be on the podium too?

If some of you had your way, there would be no discussion at all on this board. Why do you even come here? There was nothing wrong with the op, even if he was wrong. It's okay to disagree with a post and not act like a 2 year old about it.
This was more of a prophecy than a discussion.....big difference.

As bad as the defense was last year, we were so close to winning those games and a season
that most of us would have been happy with. I'm certainly not a recruiting expert but it seems
our recruiting has been pretty consistent over the years, including during the 11 win seasons (not great,
but very good). This is a pivotal season for sure with a very difficult schedule, but there is no reason to
believe the program is going to fall off into the abyss with a 7 or 8 win season.

I don't think we'll ever be what we were prior to Spurrier's arrival. We're miles ahead as a complete program for all sports. But yes we will have down cycles, I remember quiet well when Alabama sucked for a period. I do think we are behind the curve on whatever goes on behind the scenes in recruiting. The NCAA has completely lost all it's bite and certain schools are fully taking advantage of that.

"I think we are going to be an average (8-4 or 9-3) SEC team..."

So, you think we're going to be really good then? Because 8-4 or 9-3 at the University of South Carolina is really, really good. Way beyond our 120 year average.

I mean, seriously, 9-3 playing in the SEC is REALLY good season.

I have no clue what a few years down the road will bring and neither does anyone else. I didn't see an SEC east title in 2009 after the 2008, 7-6 record and I certainly didn't see three straight 11-2 records after that. I think I will just wait and decide what will happen, when it happens. This is nothing but an ignorant post about something that no one has any clue about. Like I said....I will let each season play itself out and not worry over something that may or may not happen. I heard the same thing after the 2008 season....Spurriers time has come and gone....he is going to retire....we have no talent to compete in the SEC....yea....heard it all before. Not pumping sunshine, but not falling for this crap either....

I am in the same boat, Fly. Posts like this don't achieve anything and certainly nothing positive. I would think that Gamecock fans would try to do things and talk support for the program but it seems that way too many do not. Its important but it is my recreation, not my life. I feel for anyone that allows the outcome of games to dictate whether their life is successful or not. If everyone followed that pattern and games were on par, half the world would always be suicidal.

Reactions: superflyby
As I have posted ad infinitum I'm concerned about the next hire. It's really hard it get HC hires right. Literally every SEC team has gotten it wrong at least once since we joined the league. Every single one. Blow that hire, then yes, we could be bad for a long time.

So, you think we're going to be really good then? Because 8-4 or 9-3 at the University of South Carolina is really, really good. Way beyond our 120 year average.

That record might get us an SEC East Division Championship.

Hope you are right and hopefully recruiting will pick up soon also with players that commit and won't decommit like last year.

This is a unique situation since Spurrier is approaching retirement but their are models other schools have utilized to prevent recruiting failures.

I don't think FSU's recruiting rankings dipped as Bowden was approaching
retirement but their wins did for sure. HCIW seemed to work for them.

Our leaders might select a different route like Florida did with the sudden retirement and replacement of Urban Meyer. Florida got their man but it was not the right guy.

Regardless of how this situation is handled, we need the right guy to be successful but we have the funds and facilities to get another great head coach especially since our program has done things many opponents and media guys never dreamed could be accomplished here and it would not surprise me if Coach Spurrier gets us back into the SEC Championship game next year. We have a Heisman winner, #3 NFL draft pick, 13 year NFL QB, ACC / SEC / National Championship Coach leading our team.

I did. You were being a smart ass to the OP because he started a topic you didn't like by using a sarcastic and condescending tone. In other words, you were being "that" guy. Maybe you aren't better than that, I apologize.

During this time of the year everyone has the same record 0-0 and same ole gamecocks fans are like chicken little when it comes to Carolina football... Bunch of wussies!!!

Never second guess Spurrier... He'll make you look like a fool....

I expect under Spurrier to go 9-3 every year and that my guide every year under Spurrier and we have folks who have poop poop this season before it starts...

SOS doesn't care....that is why he brought in the defensive coordinator he has tried to hire since he first got the job here.

As some others already posted.....our defense was terrible last year and we were only a couple of plays away (Dabo statement) from having a really good year record wise, CU game excluded.

I don't have a clue how good our O is going to be this year and I don't have a clue how much better our D will be this year (but they will be better).

But I do know that talking bad about our program and coaches in June does nothing to help. Recruiting....in June....really? Win some games this year and our recruiting will be just fine.

Our team is really young this year and I think that bodes well for the future. We have got to get the OL figured out which is my only real concern.

they were bad for a long time and then holtz gave em a few decent years and so did spurrier....hopefully this is just a hiccup....i dont think we regress to the way things were 20yrs ago....keeping my fingers crossed

Well, Spurrier basically quit at the end of the season and was talked out of it by his wife and Tanner. He said after he spent of a few days relaxing at the beach, he decided to recommit himself and to put in more hours. So, frankly, I'm not sure what's so controversial about some of these comments.

Reactions: robertcock

9-3 is not good enough. Not after we've been close to the top. Last year was a reality check. We couldn't replace the talent we lost on defense. The offense had too much pressure on them late in games, because the defense couldn't stop anybody. I expect this team to be coached up and win 10 games. I expect Spurrier to take charge and prove his worth as a Hall Of Fame coach this season. Time is running out. I hope that he can leave this program in good shape and in good hands when he hangs it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT