ADVERTISEMENT

Our football team could be bad for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm typically much more a sunshine pumper than doom and gloomer but things are looking bad. Several years ago I tried to discuss our downward recruiting trend on TIF but of course we were coming off some of the greatest years in program history so my post was not taken very well. I read the comments about the coaches knowing more than me and hoped they were right. Now I think everyone sees our recruiting has been awful, at least for SEC standards. This past season doesnt concern me in terms of our future. What does worry me though is the shape Spurrier is going to leave our program in.

Currently, our team recruiting rankings are in the 50s. I'm aware its only June and there is a lot of time. Normally I would not be concerned, now however I dont see any way SOS is going to recruit at a level high enough to turn this program over in decent shape to his successor. Hopefully I am wrong, but its looking like one press conference may have set us back a decade.

Please tell me I'm wrong! Any thoughts on how Spurrier/Tanner can fix things in the next year?

Where the Hell have you been?

We HAVE been bad for a long time!

I'm typically much more a sunshine pumper than doom and gloomer but things are looking bad. Several years ago I tried to discuss our downward recruiting trend on TIF but of course we were coming off some of the greatest years in program history so my post was not taken very well. I read the comments about the coaches knowing more than me and hoped they were right. Now I think everyone sees our recruiting has been awful, at least for SEC standards. This past season doesnt concern me in terms of our future. What does worry me though is the shape Spurrier is going to leave our program in.

Currently, our team recruiting rankings are in the 50s. I'm aware its only June and there is a lot of time. Normally I would not be concerned, now however I dont see any way SOS is going to recruit at a level high enough to turn this program over in decent shape to his successor. Hopefully I am wrong, but its looking like one press conference may have set us back a decade.

Please tell me I'm wrong! Any thoughts on how Spurrier/Tanner can fix things in the next year?

You're wrong.

We will land a good class and we'll be ranked in the top 25. I just hope the class pans out better than some of our higher ranked classes (2013-2014) that had a lot of misses and DNQ's.

Fix the defense...which will have more experience and better talent...and we could have a great season. The offense might not score as much as last year but with an improved defense they won't necessarily have to.

"He can't wait until he retires to Florida, to play golf and jet across the USA.

I'm sorry, but that's a STUPID comment. If he couldn't wait to retire, well, he would already be retired. You think he has some bills he can't pay and that's why he keeps working? Please!

"He can't wait until he retires to Florida, to play golf and jet across the USA.

I'm sorry, but that's a STUPID comment. If he couldn't wait to retire, well, he would already be retired. You think he has some bills he can't pay and that's why he keeps working? Please!

He is waiting on Jr to get a head coaching job or another position. Bet on it!

I see our situation being somewhat similar to 2009 going into 2010....except instead of an anemic offense we had a bad defense last year. In 2010 Marcus Lattimore provided our offense the spark it needed. Let's hope that Hoke and all the new DLine recruits like Qua Lewis will provide a similar spark on defense this year.

Just so you know, I'm not comparing these Dline recruits and Hoke to Lattimore. However considering how bad the defense was last year, I believe the upside to all these changes could provide a similar impact on defense. We were so bad that we have an opportunity to make some big improvements.

If Mitch can be a good game manager and rely on his talented teammates (RB's, Cooper/Samuel), then I could see us pulling off 9 wins. That could be enough to squeak into an SEC title game with a wide open East.

If we win 9 games and have a bunch of key players coming back for 2016, recruiting will not be an issue.

First time I have had today to check back in. Glad this thread has turned out to be more civil than I first thought it may be. I'm not trying to predict anything or say its impossible for us to turn things around. What I am thinking is that the programs we are competing against have improved in the most important aspect of college football, recruiting. We on the other hand have taken a slide. I don't think that's just my opinion, I think the results bear that out.

One thing that I think helps us is our facilities have greatly improved since Spurriers arrival. That alone will drastically help with recruiting in the future. Other schools have had great facilities and limited success though so there are certainly other factors. Tennessee with all their resources have gone through multiple coaches and bad seasons. I know people are predicting a 7 win season, but I think we really need at least 9 wins to get the momentum needed for any new coach to be successful.

I stick by my comment. Spurrier revealed how he really felt with the 2-3 year comment. Then he tries to do damage control with the 4 -5 year plan. Give me a break, he is headed out of here as soon as this year, maybe next. Tanner is the only reason he made the 4-5 year statement. He doesn't care what shape he leaves the program in. That way he knows people will always be talking about the 11 win seasons and how the ole ball coach had it going for a short time.
Basses: I know this is just a discussion board but it bothers me when people like you seem to have all the answers and somehow have inside information into someone you have never been within 100 feet of. I don't know SOS either, but I would bet my house that he wants to leave the program in good shape. And I will also go on record as saying that SOS says whatever he wants to say and he does not recieve orders from Tanner.

We need Chip Kelly to fix this wreck.

One of the great myths of CFB is Spurrier's supposed competitiveness. Other coaches work circles around him.

Remember when Spurrier made fun of Saban for working long hours? Right before Saban won another championship and Spurrier lost 6 games again.

You are correct. We may be in worse shape when the HBC leaves because of who his replacement may be. At least when Holtz left, we had a good replacement. Spurrier does not have his heart in the program anymore. He can't wait until he retires to Florida, to play golf and jet across the USA. I bet after he leaves he won't mention the Carolina job. It will be all Florida, like Holtz could not stop talking about Notre Dame.
I think you are wrong here, we'll see.

The gamecocks need a stronger out of state recruiting effort to offset fluctuations in in state recruiting. That streak of 11 wins was built on players from SC, and recent classes from SC havent been as deep and are more split between Carolina and Clemson. I would have thought Spurrier's past at Florida would have yielded more.

The guys starting this are either Taters posing as Gamecocks or the dumbest arm chair QB'S in the world. These types don't need to be posting.

One of the great myths of CFB is Spurrier's supposed competitiveness. Other coaches work circles around him.

Remember when Spurrier made fun of Saban for working long hours? Right before Saban won another championship and Spurrier lost 6 games again.

Bottom line, Spurrier still wants to win as much as ever. But that doesn't mean he will work more hours or recruit harder. Hopefully he has some tricks up his sleeve and can handle the play calling this fall.

I doubt any recruit thinks he is going to be here by the time they are a senior. I doubt it too. His comments have doomed him to average recruiting for the rest of his time here.

I got it now. SOS is a lazy no count bum who never works, plays golf, and y'all know every detail of his professional and private life. I don't know why it took me so long to understand that. I should have looked at his lifetime achievements and figured that out myself. Thank goodness y'all learned that too and stopped kissing his butt when he was making life worth it for you. Some of you brilliant people should actually MEET him first and then give that slacker what for. That loser needs to retire gosh dang him! He makes me sick every time he brings radical groups like GAMEDAY to Columbia, We never even saw them much before him now they take over things when they come. Where are Lou and Brad to save us?

I got it now. SOS is a lazy no count bum who never works, plays golf, and y'all know every detail of his professional and private life. I don't know why it took me so long to understand that. I should have looked at his lifetime achievements and figured that out myself. Thank goodness y'all learned that too and stopped kissing his butt when he was making life worth it for you. Some of you brilliant people should actually MEET him first and then give that slacker what for. That loser needs to retire gosh dang him! He makes me sick every time he brings radical groups like GAMEDAY to Columbia, We never even saw them much before him now they take over things when they come. Where are Lou and Brad to save us?

The guys starting this are either Taters posing as Gamecocks or the dumbest arm chair QB'S in the world. These types don't need to be posting.

I agree with you 100%. Steve Spurrier took Lou Holtz's players and beat HOF coaches Urban Meyer and Phil Fulmer and their 4 and 5 star recruits in year 1 @ Carolina with Tyrone Nix as DC.

Now he has an offense with players that know the system and his hand picked DC in John Hoke.

9-3 is not good enough. Not after we've been close to the top. Last year was a reality check. We couldn't replace the talent we lost on defense. The offense had too much pressure on them late in games, because the defense couldn't stop anybody. I expect this team to be coached up and win 10 games. I expect Spurrier to take charge and prove his worth as a Hall Of Fame coach this season. Time is running out. I hope that he can leave this program in good shape and in good hands when he hangs it up.

God forbid sos have a life besides gamecock football. I mean usc football is the most important thing in life. Some of you need a better perspective on this life and the afterlife.

God forbid sos have a life besides gamecock football. I mean usc football is the most important thing in life. Some of you need a better perspective on this life and the afterlife.

When you have a job making over $4,000,000.00 per year, your job better be priority #1.

Reactions: conCOCKshon
Well, let's not play this year...

Tell Spurrier don't worry about coaching this year, just go out and play golf...

Tell the players that they need to look for another schools, the fans have packed it in June and it's not worth coming out this fall to support the program...

Make William Brice into new dorms and put a pools in both end zones...

Season is over and done proclaimed by Gamecock fans on June 5, 2015...
What an immature post. Nobody said anything about shuttering the program, but hyperbole is a denier's best friend, I suppose.

We're in the SEC 25 years and really haven't been close. The OP is correct. SOS has checked out.

Reactions: CaliCock

Yes, no other coach golfs, fishes, hunts, attends other sporting events or spends time with their families. It's all work all the time. That's what fans spending their hard earned money deserve!

The fact is there's not a damn sole that knows exactly how much time SOS dedicates to recruiting, which makes this thread pointless and does nothing but invite rival scum here to infest the board slamming our coach and our program. And it sure keeps the 2-3 comment alive and well for recruits to read about after they've been told by other coaches.

For God's sake, the man's only 70. Some around here act like his 170. And now we have fans that think they know his thoughts on recruiting, his exit strategy (of which he more than likely doesn't have yet), how he'll view his legacy at USC and what he'll do after retiring. Simply amazing.

This isn't a discussion thread, it's trumped up fodder.

Reactions: Superior7
We have a big camp and recruiting weekend coming up, the tater's in their disguised Gamecock message board characters will be out in force damning coach Spurrier, Steve Jr., our staff, players, and program with whatever made up lie they can think of.

We will be fine. The overall talent is much higher than it was when Spurrier got here. If we hold on in the 3 games last year where we had 2 TD leads in the fourth quarter, we would have been 10-3 and no one would be writing stuff like the OP. I've known Spurrier for over 30 years and saw him recently. He is the same competitive SOB he always has been and certainly has the fire. I am sure he will be here for at least 3 years. I think this year may be a transition year. But I remember people writing stuff like this in 2009 when we went on our last tear. To me, this is a good sign.

We will be fine. The overall talent is much higher than it was when Spurrier got here. If we hold on in the 3 games last year where we had 2 TD leads in the fourth quarter, we would have been 10-3 and no one would be writing stuff like the OP. I've known Spurrier for over 30 years and saw him recently. He is the same competitive SOB he always has been and certainly has the fire. I am sure he will be here for at least 3 years. I think this year may be a transition year. But I remember people writing stuff like this in 2009 when we went on our last tear. To me, this is a good sign.
I can't disagree with your comments and believe that Spurrier wants to win. I just can't help thinking that we might have missed our opportunity to really break through in the SEC. With the team we had from '10 to '13, we were as good as any team in the nation. But it also seems like we didn't use that opportunity to really push the recruiting to the next level, considering the amount of attention we were getting with Clowney and Lattimore.

As I have posted ad infinitum I'm concerned about the next hire. It's really hard it get HC hires right. Literally every SEC team has gotten it wrong at least once since we joined the league. Every single one. Blow that hire, then yes, we could be bad for a long time.

Brad Scott...we are good for a century or more.

I disagree. Based on what I saw last year plus the large number of defections of highly rated recruits, I don't think our talent level is any better. I don't think we'll break .500.

When you have a job making over $4,000,000.00 per year, your job better be priority #1.

Funny how people throw out coaches salaries when they are pissed at them. Did you have a problem with his salary or working hours when we were winning 11 games a year?

Your job should never be priority #1. if that is the case you don't have your priorities in order. We will be fine this year and recruiting will pick up.

duh nobody cares how much someone makes as long as they are EARNING it, duh huh huh

It appears that the fans who are predicting success in 2015 are doing so based on a new DC in Hoke and incoming DL recruits. Hoke looks like an upgrade, but I'm not sure he's a certified guru. The DL recruits look good but not great. If you look at rivals own rankings, it would appear that 2 teams in the sec east( UGa &Tenn) and one team in your own state actually recruited a better DL line class than SC. It's hard to see why fans keep pointing to this group of DL recruits as the keys to winning next year. They have never played a down of D1 college football and they do not appear to be any better than the DL recruits of several of your rivals.

It appears that the fans who are predicting success in 2015 are doing so based on a new DC in Hoke and incoming DL recruits. Hoke looks like an upgrade, but I'm not sure he's a certified guru. The DL recruits look good but not great. If you look at rivals own rankings, it would appear that 2 teams in the sec east( UGa &Tenn) and one team in your own state actually recruited a better DL line class than SC. It's hard to see why fans keep pointing to this group of DL recruits as the keys to winning next year. They have never played a down of D1 college football and they do not appear to be any better than the DL recruits of several of your rivals.
Um our DL has 3 interior players returning with significant experience. Our problem was at the DE position which will be much better with the edition of Lewis and Sawyer. Our DE's last year were basically DT moved outside due to players leaving early for the NFL and graduation. We will be greatly improved. You better worry about your D tater.

"...they do not appear to be any better than the DL recruits of several of your rivals."

Maybe you can enlighten me as to when the game of football changed so that our DL will have to face opponents DL.

Thx in advance.

Oh and btw, didn't you taters act the same way when you hired the Fire Marshall Bill clone BV? You know that guy that gave up more points in the history of college football bowl games in his 1st or 2nd season. And how many years experience did he have in the league?
I don't see where you taters have any room to talk about what we Gamecocks should expect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT