ADVERTISEMENT

Overpaid ?

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
Everything about the Clemson football program is top notch, elite, and on the cusp of winning national championships. We have heard this time and again from Dabo and his minions. Not to worry about the offensive line, the ones they have replacing the ones leaving played 50% of the time and are as good. Same for the defensive line replacing, save one, the defensive line from last year ,but the one thing that causes me to wonder, Chad Morris was being lauded as one of the great minds in offensive football. I recall many posts worrying about what they would do if he packed his bags and left. Morris was also one of the highest paid coordinators in the land, grossing well over I million per. Morris leaves for SMU and in comes to relatively inexperienced co- coordinators Elliot and Scott that they claim will simply continue where Morris left off. I realize they did a fine job vs a poor Oklahoma defense but come on, just one game just weeks after Morris left with his imprint all over the team. If what Dabo and the fans believe about these young guns is true, if the job is that simple, then Clemson is vastly overpaying some coaches. I think coaching will be a huge factor going forward with the Tiger season this year. Thoughts?

Your post makes good sense. However, I won't follow Clemson that much until the last week of November.

Reactions: drawj20
There's no doubt they have Morris' play book and will use it going forward. How well the minions picked up on his tendencies and philosophy is to be determined.

Keep I'm mind though, it really isn't that easy to do or there would never really be a need to hire a different coach outside of any winning program..

They have talent (recruiting) and with their schedule, I could call the plays and they would end up with at least 8-9 wins.. With that said, MY guess is, after only a couple of years of understudy, and the use of "co-coordinators" is that there will be some drop off. Does that mean they stay around 9-10 wins a year without potential to improve upon that or drop down to 7-8 a year, who knows? My guess is somewhere in between at 8-9 when you take into consideration the potential to drop off, the talent they bring in and the conference they play in..

I've been involved with 2 people making decisions in the past for a team and have found that often times there comes bickering, arguing and sometimes even indecision, even when both are after the same goal.. Sometimes one would be upset we were using the others method, etc. Of course, I could be wrong and they could both end up being the next big things. One comes from lineage and the other looks to be a natural, so.. Basically, I'm guessing as I look through my garnet glasses. Lol

I'm sure there will be some growing pains with these two young O.C.s. Every Clemson fan I know thinks this. Coach Morris did not start out making over a million a year, he earned it. Its like you are comparing an older proven coaches salary to guys that are just starting out (experience and salary)?

As for the DL replacing the DL from last year, depth is mentioned as a huge concern. The Starting DL this year played a ton of snaps last year. After those guys its anybody's guess how the 2nd and 3rd string will perform. It's Clemson's "hope" and to a certain degree expectation that they play better than lasts years team. But isn't that true for your team as well?

I know there back up d line played alot of snaps last year. But how often did they play as a group, it makes a difference if they put in a back up with the other starters in the game. we will see how they do this year when they are out there alone

I'm sure there will be some growing pains with these two young O.C.s. Every Clemson fan I know thinks this. Coach Morris did not start out making over a million a year, he earned it. Its like you are comparing an older proven coaches salary to guys that are just starting out (experience and salary)?

As for the DL replacing the DL from last year, depth is mentioned as a huge concern. The Starting DL this year played a ton of snaps last year. After those guys its anybody's guess how the 2nd and 3rd string will perform. It's Clemson's "hope" and to a certain degree expectation that they play better than lasts years team. But isn't that true for your team as well?
You're really dying to post on our board, huh? post #6 and joined July 20, 15. Wow.

This years Clemson teams on defense reminds me a lot of USC last year. Remember we went into last year saying our defensive replacements had a lot of snaps under their belt (i.e English, Dixon, Dixon jr) so i think Clemson fans would be wise to wait and see.

What i do not hear from Clemson fans is them discussing their loses on offense. They lost some key skill guys as well and even though they have recruited well finding replacements for the offensive output is still an unknown.

As far as The OC situation, a lot of Clemson fans point to the bowl as a reason they will not miss Morris. The OC is much more than calling the right plays, it is developing game plans for the personnel available and for the opponents you face..... putting players in the proper position to best utilize their skills.....identifying and working on weakness in schemes and players.... coaching to cover those teams weakness......exposing and capitalizing on opponents weaknesses. Often times like it was with Ward it might take a couple years to expose shortcomings in those areas! So i believe Clemson fans would be wise to wait and see if those coaches can be an adequate replacement for Morris.

This years Clemson teams on defense reminds me a lot of USC last year. Remember we went into last year saying our defensive replacements had a lot of snaps under their belt (i.e English, Dixon, Dixon jr) so i think Clemson fans would be wise to wait and see.

What i do not hear from Clemson fans is them discussing their loses on offense. They lost some key skill guys as well and even though they have recruited well finding replacements for the offensive output is still an unknown.

As far as The OC situation, a lot of Clemson fans point to the bowl as a reason they will not miss Morris. The OC is much more than calling the right plays, it is developing game plans for the personnel available and for the opponents you face..... putting players in the proper position to best utilize their skills.....identifying and working on weakness in schemes and players.... coaching to cover those teams weakness......exposing and capitalizing on opponents weaknesses. Often times like it was with Ward it might take a couple years to expose shortcomings in those areas! So i believe Clemson fans would be wise to wait and see if those coaches can be an adequate replacement for Morris.

What skill guys did we lose on offense outside of Adam Humphries and TE Sam Cooper who wasn't the starter anyway. Outside of those two every single skill guy from last season comes back.
Starters in Bold

QB- Watson, Schussler, one of the freshman
RB- Gallman, Choice, Brookes, Davidson,
TE- Leggett, Seckinger, Byers, Richards(FR)
WR-Scott, Williams, Peake, Kitt, Hopper, McCloud,

You say the same holds true for our team, maybe so, but I certainly like our outlook this season better than Clemson even with our tough schedule.Our TEAM is not saying we are a potential playoff team and we are not boasting that we are elite, on the cusp of greatness, or for now and evermore a national championship contender. The candor of this text is how can Clemson expect to be all these things with no offensive line or a proven defensive line and the inexperienced OC'S even if the conference they play in is weak. There are a few teams you play this year that I would bet even money on against Clemson, namely FSU, ND, Louisville, GT and certainly Carolina. I also expect little Wofford to give Clemson fits in the opener.

What skill guys did we lose on offense outside of Adam Humphries and TE Sam Cooper who wasn't the starter anyway. Outside of those two every single skill guy from last season comes back.
Starters in Bold

QB- Watson, Schussler, one of the freshman
RB- Gallman, Choice, Brookes, Davidson,
TE- Leggett, Seckinger, Byers, Richards(FR)
WR-Scott, Williams, Peake, Kitt, Hopper, McCloud,[/QUOTE

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT