ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele 2015 Preseason Power Poll

We're behind a La Tech coached by Skip Hotlz? Ouch. I think we could take 'em. Not sure about Northwestern and Cincinnati, though.

Does he have UGA 3 spots or 4 spots in front of the Seahawks and Patriots?

And clue me it...does he list Clemson or just Deshand Watson?

Heard him on the local WCCCP station and he was talking about their complete loss on defense, special teams and OL but in Clemson's case it does not matter because all they needed was Watson, so I figured he just listed him at their spot in the rankings.

Last edited:
Steele needs help, the boy is seriously ill. Clemson picked to win ACC but Fsu #8 and Clemson #22. Marshall and Duke better than us? This poll is very dumb.

Reactions: Cocky kebo57
Well...if Phil Steele says it. It must be so. I think his success rate is in the high teens.....he is the worse prognosticator around. If he picks you anywhere 1st to 100th....don't count on it. He'll be way off no matter what.

Every Pundit out there seems to think all of the Taters deficiencies will be overcome by Watson's supreme abilities. He is good no doubt, but this hype is a bit much. Some of these guys are saying he can take them to the playoff...Pullease. ...Are you joking..? Johnny Football was as dazzling as they come and he couldn't do it all himself. Maybe they are thinking about famous Jameis. ...but does anyone think Clemmons has FSU type talent and coaching..? Hell maybe they do.

Every Pundit out there seems to think all of the Taters deficiencies will be overcome by Watson's supreme abilities. He is good no doubt, but this hype is a bit much. Some of these guys are saying he can take them to the playoff...Pullease. ...Are you joking..? Johnny Football was as dazzling as they come and he couldn't do it all himself. Maybe they are thinking about famous Jameis. ...but does anyone think Clemmons has FSU type talent and coaching..? Hell maybe they do.
Their road to the playoffs isn't all that hard, so I don't think it's a stretch. With the talent they're stockpiling, I'd be surprised if they don't make a playoff soon. And we can't do anything about it. Even beating them won't help. The ACC champion will be included in the playoffs more often than not.

I would not get too upset. Every writer's prognostication is weighted heavily toward last year's results. Last year we lost a ton of starters on defense which included the undisputed #1 draft pick and one of the greatest talents on defense in recent college history.....yet every writer thought we would just reload. The writers didn't factor in the loss of talent nor did they consider our inept attempt at implementing the 3-4 defense last year (with personnel that did not fit the scheme anyway!). They are right some of the time, but most times they aren't. Wouldn't surprise me if we are much better than advertised and by the end of the year the same writers will be predicting a big 2016 for us.

As for Clemson, I believe Venables is a good coach, but there absolutely must be a drop-off on defense for Clemson. No way they can lose so many starters and not have some kind of drop-off. Also, the loss of Morris and especially some key offensive linemen may be more detrimental in the long run. Without a great offensive line and lack of a big time RB threat, opposing defenses may bring everything and the kitchen sink at Watson. Despite all this, Clemson will be good enough to beat up the usual ACC suspects, but winning the ACC is a stretch. I suspect they finish somewhere 15-25.

Polls change quickly once play starts. This year the team will have to earn the respect they want. My old coach use to say "It takes more will power than wish power to win tough games". Last year we seemed short on will power and some quit when it got too tough. Regardless of what caused the failure in last year's team chemistry, it left many with doubts about our players. Most of what has been said on this year's team has been positive on effort and team mentality. Some who were unhappy have departed and new faces have replaced them. It is a new year and I am looking forward to see what we can do on the field. I anticipate a better team than any of our media has predicted.

Their road to the playoffs isn't all that hard, so I don't think it's a stretch. With the talent they're stockpiling, I'd be surprised if they don't make a playoff soon. And we can't do anything about it. Even beating them won't help. The ACC champion will be included in the playoffs more often than not.

With the 'greatest defense' in the history of organized football according to the tater homers last year...they snuck into the Belk Bowl......the Playoff is a distant pipedream.

And that defense took the semi-miracle of getting a year when they pulled together 11 or 12 JRs and SRs onto one unit......this year unit despite the hype will revert to the usual 66th or 75th place.[/QUOTE]

By this poll we will be lucky to win four games this year. The Citadel and Vandy should be wins, UCF and Kentucky would basically be toss-ups, and we would lose the rest. I guess I'm a sunshine pumper, because I think we'll win a few more than four games.

With the 'greatest defense' in the history of organized football according to the tater homers last year...they snuck into the Belk Bowl......the Playoff is a distant pipedream.

And that defense took the semi-miracle of getting a year when they pulled together 11 or 12 JRs and SRs onto one unit......this year unit despite the hype will revert to the usual 66th or 75th place.
[/QUOTE]
They have won the ACC recently. The next time they do it, they will be in the playoffs. It's not a very difficult league, as you well know. I wouldn't call that a pipe dream.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT