ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Do you want a new coach?

Simple question: Do you want a new coach?

• Yes

Votes: 181 54.7%
  • No

Votes: 125 37.8%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 25 7.6%

• Total voters
I asked this in a poll a week or so ago and got slammed but I also saw most of what the fan base was thinking. It ran close to 50-50....I would think the needle has moved way south of that with this loss....

I hate it, but we have got to get a new coach.

There's nothing Spurrier can do for us now. If he cares about the program, he'll walk away.

This is not about wanting a new HC.
SOS is the best thing ever at USC ...one of the best HC in History.

If he were 51 w 15 more years to go, I would say we are reloading from Shaw years
At 71, it is hard to recruit when others are selling that he is retiring, yada yada yada.

No....I want a new Gamecock message board that recognizes after having a program mired in mediocrity for almost 100 years....when a HOF coach comes to us and rescues our program and takes it places we have never been before...I want a message board where there is gratitude and support for those who have have helped us achieve unprecedented success...and then when things are not going well...where we all pull together and support the coaches and the young men who chose to come here in the fashion they deserve. Guess I need to find a new message board because it doesn't seem to be happening here very much.

Stupid stupid question IMO before the season is even half over.

No....I want a new Gamecock message board that recognizes after having a program mired in mediocrity for almost 100 years....when a HOF coach comes to us and rescues our program and takes it places we have never been before...I want a message board where there is gratitude and support for those who have have helped us achieve unprecedented success...and then when things are not going well...where we all pull together and support the coaches and the young men who chose to come here in the fashion they deserve. Guess I need to find a new message board because it doesn't seem to be happening here very much.

Need a quarter?

latest

Spurrier hasn't rescued us from anything. He gave us like a four year break from mediocrity to be very good for a little while though not great. It was nothing more than that, and it took everything he had left in him to do it. Everyone DOES have gratitude for what he is has done but everyone's career comes to do an end some time and this is it. Screw the season. If you can't realize by watching those first three games we aren't winning many games this year there is something seriously wrong with you. You don't get to tell to me what those players and coaches deserve from me. I tell them what they deserve from me. They have to get results. None of this trying or saying you tried is good enough BS.

Spurrier hasn't rescued us from anything. He gave us like a four year break from mediocrity to be very good for a little while though not great. It was nothing more than that, and it took everything he had left in him to do it. Everyone DOES have gratitude for what he is has done but everyone's career comes to do an end some time and this is it. Screw the season. If you can't realize by watching those first three games we aren't winning many games this year there is something seriously wrong with you. You don't get to tell to me what those players and coaches deserve from me. I tell them what they deserve from me. They have to get results. None of this trying or saying you tried is good enough BS.
Come on man, Spurrier is the best thing to ever happen to Gamecock football.

I'd like to see how he handles this adversity and the mess we are presently in. I know it might be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping he will get a new burst of energy and turn things around. So, my answer in the poll is, "I'm Not Sure Yet".

Just because people feel its time for a change doesnt mean we are not appreciative of what he has done. Those are two different things. It's obvious he has failed with hiring assistants and he is not putting 100% into it. He even brags about not spending the time other coaches do. His offense looks horrible. Not sure if it is his play calling or allowing his incompetent son to call the plays.

This^^^^^^

I'd like to see how he handles this adversity and the mess we are presently in. I know it might be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping he will get a new burst of energy and turn things around. So, my answer in the poll is, "I'm Not Sure Yet".
Very legit outlook. It is very possible to want him to stay and not have an absurdly blind eye to what is happening. Some posters just want him here because he's Spurrier and that is just an asinine outlook. I said yes I want a new coach, but if SOS shows he is 100% committed, that will definitely change. 100% committed means turning loose the dead weight on staff, to include his son and means hit the trail and recruit.

I thought that was what the "don't believe our enemies" rant was suppose to be. He said that and the bowl win rejuvenated him and the staff. Damn, how bad would we look if they hadn't been rejuvenated ?

Very legit outlook. It is very possible to want him to stay and not have an absurdly blind eye to what is happening. Some posters just want him here because he's Spurrier and that is just an asinine outlook. I said yes I want a new coach, but if SOS shows he is 100% committed, that will definitely change. 100% committed means turning loose the dead weight on staff, to include his son and means hit the trail and recruit.

I would absolutely be in favor of this but what are the odds of any of this happening? I would say slim to none closer to none. He is not going to change at this point. He believes his way wins games and he has had a great career. But the days of being able to half-a#$ the job are over. You cant go on a world tour and play golf in the offseason the way he used to.

Maybe you should start that up, then announce it here. I'd give it a look.

Reactions: Nicajacktiger
I just picked a few up and coming young football coaches from the linked article. I tried to go with coaches that have Midwest and Southeast connections. Certainly not an all inclusive list.

Mark Hudspeth - UL Lafayette
Lance Leipold - Buffalo
Pete Lembo - Ball State
Tom Herman - Houston
Matt Ruhle - Temple
Scott Satterfield - Appalachian State
Matt Wells - Utah State (born in Columbia, SC)
Bobby Wilder - Old Dominion

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-15-coaches-rise-2015

I just picked a few up and coming young football coaches from the linked article. I tried to go with coaches that have Midwest and Southeast connections. Certainly not an all inclusive list.

Mark Hudspeth - UL Lafayette
Lance Leipold - Buffalo
Pete Lembo - Ball State
Tom Herman - Houston
Matt Ruhle - Temple
Scott Satterfield - Appalachian State
Matt Wells - Utah State (born in Columbia, SC)
Bobby Wilder - Old Dominion

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-15-coaches-rise-2015

Northern Illinois is Southeastern enough for me.

I Love the HBC. Have nothing but respect for him and I'm gracious he chose to come here. I will always think of him as a part of our University. I also loved my grandfather who ran his own farm his entire adult life. Then one day he got ran over by his own tractor. (Sounds like I'm being funny but it really happened.) At that point he knew it was time to give it up and enjoy what time he had left on this earth.

I think it's that time for Spurrier. He has been ran over by this game. His ways are not working anymore. I applaud him for standing up for and being loyal to his assistants. But we can all see where this is headed. The longer it continues the harder it will be to correct. Let's thank him for what he has done. I would be all for naming the field after him to show him our appreciation. He has done great things for us and made us relevant. But it is time for him to let go and allow us to start fresh with a younger guy.

I Love the HBC. Have nothing but respect for him and I'm gracious he chose to come here. I will always think of him as a part of our University. I also loved my grandfather who ran his own farm his entire adult life. Then one day he got ran over by his own tractor. (Sounds like I'm being funny but it really happened.) At that point he knew it was time to give it up and enjoy what time he had left on this earth.

I think it's that time for Spurrier. He has been ran over by this game. His ways are not working anymore. I applaud him for standing up for and being loyal to his assistants. But we can all see where this is headed. The longer it continues the harder it will be to correct. Let's thank him for what he has done. I would be all for naming the field after him to show him our appreciation. He has done great things for us and made us relevant. But it is time for him to let go and allow us to start fresh with a younger guy.

I agree with this as well. I love Spurrier, but I have not seen the energy or the budget to reflect that he goes after recruits with the same zeal our competitors do. The 2-3 year remark is going to be used again this year by other teams except now they are going to say 1-2 years if he does not retire.

Reactions: G-C-Gamecock

Thank you for finally posting a message with maturity and insight. Ask several other schools how firing their coaches worked out for them for about 4 or 5 years after they fired their coach. Moo U fired a very good Hatfield and went into years of nothingness. Tenn fired their coach and went in a nose dive for a number of years. There are others with similar stories. Firing a great coach is not always the answer. I would ask the "front runners" who can only support us during the great times to reevaluate their fiber and ability to handle difficulties in life. The measure and strength of a man is seen when things get difficult. If you want to know what is inside a black box, just hit it with a strong impulse and see what comes out. Does a quitter come out or does a supporter come out? My wife and I were among the capacity crowds that filled WB during the 21 straight games that we lost. What has happened to that Gamecock spirit? For the person on this site who wanted 20,000 people to stay at home this Saturday, we do not need fans like you. The nature of our mascot is to fight to the death. Many of our fans are like a bunch of pussy cats from the northern part of the state when they do not win. We are better than this Gamecock fans!! Are we going to turn tail and run like a group of cowards when the going gets tough? Support this team; they and the coaches deserve our best effort too!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for finally posting a message with maturity and insight. Ask several other schools how firing their coaches worked out for them for about 4 or 5 years after they fired their coach. Moo U fired a very good Hatfield and went into years of nothingness. Tenn fired their coach and went in a nose dive for a number of years. There are others with similar stories. Firing a great coach is not always the answer. I would ask the "front runners" who can only support us during the great times to reevaluate their fiber and ability to handle difficulties in life. The measure and strength of a man is seen when things get difficult. If you want to know what is inside a black box, just hit it with a strong implies and see what comes out. The quitters on here do not deserve a winning team. Flame me for that.........quitters!!!
So how far down would you ride a sinking ship before jumping off? At what point is it enough?

So how far down would you ride a sinking ship before jumping off? At what point is it enough?

It all depends on what type of prism through which you look at life and the values that you use as your criteria for selection on what is important. Who sets your criteria? Is it the mob mentality or something higher than that? What we have on this site at the present is a "mob mentality". Anyone can follow the crowd but it takes a person of strength and metal to follow an unpopular course during the time of crisis.

It all depends on what type of prism through which you look at life and the values that you use as your criteria for selection on what is important. Who sets your criteria? Is it the mob mentality or something higher than that? What we have on this site at the present is a "mob mentality". Anyone can follow the crowd but it takes a person of strength and metal to follow an unpopular course during the time of crisis.
Ah, pulling out a little Ibsen, nice. No, the failure to make certain changes on the staff that needed to be made was enough. Posters were saying it was the players, not the coaches and wait until Sawyer, Lewis and crew get here. Well, still the same issues...still the same poor coaching. His failure to make the changes needed was enough. We do not have any discipline of defense, use poor technique, etc. etc. We are just poorly coached.

Stupid post...Spurrier is the best thing to ever happen to USC.

I agree 100%, but . . .

Would you want a new coach if you discovered that he is suffering from Alzheimers' related dementia? (No, he's not). The point is that nobody stays on top forever. Unless this team makes a drastic turnaround, he may retire. If he goes 3-9 his hot seat must be real.

I want a new coach next year. Do I want us to fire our best coach ever? No. But that doesn't stop me from being ready for a change.

Thank you Coach Spurrier, I will always love you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT