ADVERTISEMENT

Putnam on commit watch!

We aren't the only ones to offer. Elon, Coastal, Gardner Webb and Charlotte have offered. Do you NOT hope we can beat them for his commitment? 1996? Ok.
My point was they have a chance at much higher rated players...fact ! They offered this kid in spite of that "fact"....that is all I need to know.

I, like most fans, am fascinated by the stars. I would love to see us have a class filled with nothing but 4 and 5 star players. With that said, there are many great players that fall through the recruiting services "cracks" and don't receive the notoriety of some of the bigger names due to various reasons. Aside from the debacle last year, we've had success over the years with coaching up some lower rated guys to be good players for us.

Sidney Rice, Kenny McKinley, Captain Munnerlyn, Darian Stewart, Eric Norwood, Antonio Allen, Patrick DeMarco, and Jimmy Legree are a few of the lower rated 2 and 3 star players that have helped us win a few ball games.

Putnam don't worry about the skeptics. If you can come in, keep your nose clean, work hard, and help us win ball games then fans won't care what your star rating is. Just win baby!

Reactions: PersonallyFowl
I, like most fans, am fascinated by the stars. I would love to see us have a class filled with nothing but 4 and 5 star players. With that said, there are many great players that fall through the recruiting services "cracks" and don't receive the notoriety of some of the bigger names due to various reasons. Aside from the debacle last year, we've had success over the years with coaching up some lower rated guys to be good players for us.

Sidney Rice, Kenny McKinley, Captain Munnerlyn, Darian Stewart, Eric Norwood, Antonio Allen, Patrick DeMarco, and Jimmy Legree are a few of the lower rated 2 and 3 star players that have helped us win a few ball games.

Putnam don't worry about the skeptics. If you can come in, keep your nose clean, work hard, and help us win ball games then fans won't care what your star rating is. Just win baby!
I'm unconvinced.

I'm unconvinced.
I can understand you being unconvinced....I mean...you saw the kid work out and his tapes, you also probably interviewed him and his coaches and are much more of an authority on the matter than any of our coaches. I don't know what the hell they were thinking. They should have talked to you before they offered. Wow....

Only issue that I see is that for the most part the coaches that developed those players you named are no longer in our employ. And IMO our replacement coaches don't have those same development skills. Better recruiters perhaps, better at identifying and developing players...no way.

This isn't a matter of stars, this is about how many offers and by what teams. Contrary to some beliefs, most college's have coaches who can assess talent pretty well despite a recruits star rating. And yes, for every "John Abraham", I could do a little research and give you 5 -10 names of those who didn't pan out, or who functioned as a reserve player for 4 years.
I thought we were going to slow down recruiting somewhat so we could position ourselves for some of the later commitments. The bright side is, we probably don't have to worry about as many de-commits.

... And yes, for every "John Abraham", I could do a little research and give you 5 -10 names of those who didn't pan out, or who functioned as a reserve player for 4 years...
No need to do any research, it's much easier to find one name, post it and present it as the general rule that all 1-2 star players and players with little to no offer sheets all turn out like John Abraham.

No need to do any research, it's much easier to find one name, post it and present it as the general rule that all 1-2 star players and players with little to no offer sheets all turn out like John Abraham.
Never said that....but....you can't say he won't. This kid got an offer when many more highly rated players didn't. I would think there was a good reason for that. If he wasn't offered by the others and we felt like he deserved an offer above a possible 3 or 4 star then you can bet the coaches know something about this kid the others don't. To think otherwise would be foolish at best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT