ADVERTISEMENT

Question about field goal before half

chapincocky

Sep 13, 2009
There was around 19 seconds after the Missouri player was tackled at the one yard line on 3rd down. My question is I thought we were able to have time to substitute and get set since the offense substituted. Seemed to me our guys were running fast trying to sub and get set. I thought if we just jogged on the field that one of the officials would hold the snap until we were set?

There was around 19 seconds after the Missouri player was tackled at the one yard line on 3rd down. My question is I thought we were able to have time to substitute and get set since the offense substituted. Seemed to me our guys were running fast trying to sub and get set. I thought if we just jogged on the field that one of the officials would hold the snap until we were set?
That’s a really good question. I was a HS official for years, but I got out of it before officials started holding over the ball like this. I have seen it done, of course, but I don’t know the specifics of administration. How long to hold? What if the play clock is almost up? What if the game clock is almost up? I would love to learn the specifics if there are other officials on the board.

At Knoxville, UTjr could have gotten away with such a maneuver. Probably not elsewhere, however.

Apparently there’s a rule where the defense doesn’t get a chance to sub when the clock is under 30 seconds and running or something like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT