ADVERTISEMENT

SC - KY Game Thread

Fully expected us to lose. I feel bad for the defense. That unit played well enough to win. Staley tried to scoop a fumble that he should’ve fell on, because he was in a crowd.
But offensively, we are so bad. I thought the line played a little better tonight, but damn the play calling is awful, and we are hurting ourselves with formations and with the lack of reading defensive linemen. We need a true dual threat QB and to really unleash an offense that reads linemen and linebackers. Take away the defenses best player. That’s not what we are doing now, he’s trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
beamer is going to be fine, the choice to go on 4th down really didn’t hurt us, we would’ve just lost by 3 instead of 6. Going for the TD was the right call. He was playing to win, not playing to not lose. We always fussed about muschamp kicking Fgs. Now we bitch because Beamer tried to go for a TD. I’m fine with it. Play to win.
Really think the D is moving in the right direction and I hipe Beamer can find an Oc that will open this thing up.

Doty is garbage. If he is still hurt ok but he is slow if not. The QB coming in next year is garbage as well. We need a gun slinger. Our D is at least average but our offense is horrible. Dak is awful. A huge bust. He needs to transfer immediately. He needs to go to a D3 school. He is not a WR. He maybe a strong guy lifting weights but he gets barley touched he goes down. Also he he can’t separate. We can’t recruit and we can’t learn from our mistakes.
If a QB has no time to run the play, he is lucky to get the play off or get rid of the pass. Give the guy some time. So Clemson's new Heisman QB must be garbage also. He passed for 111 yds. today.

If a QB has no time to run the play, he is lucky to get the play off or get rid of the pass. Give the guy some time. So Clemson's new Heisman QB must be garbage also. He passed for 111 yds. today.
He had plenty of time tonight and he completed almost 70% of his passes with over 6 yard average. Considering the number of terrible decisions to throw the ball to Harris dragged that number down it was a good night for him.

Fully expected us to lose. I feel bad for the defense. That unit played well enough to win. Staley tried to scoop a fumble that he should’ve fell on, because he was in a crowd.
But offensively, we are so bad. I thought the line played a little better tonight, but damn the play calling is awful, and we are hurting ourselves with formations and with the lack of reading defensive linemen. We need a true dual threat QB and to really unleash an offense that reads linemen and linebackers. Take away the defenses best player. That’s not what we are doing now, he’s trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
beamer is going to be fine, the choice to go on 4th down really didn’t hurt us, we would’ve just lost by 3 instead of 6. Going for the TD was the right call. He was playing to win, not playing to not lose. We always fussed about muschamp kicking Fgs. Now we bitch because Beamer tried to go for a TD. I’m fine with it. Play to win.
Really think the D is moving in the right direction and I hipe Beamer can find an Oc that will open this thing up.

I felt like we relied too much on the run game in the 1st half, when it was averaging less than 3 ypc. We didn't throw enough - Doty was 5 for 6 or something like that in the 1st half. He wasn't showing that he was reckless with the passing game. Or get someone else besides Harris in the game when Harris was averaging 1-2 ypc on 1st down runs. We are supposed to have a deep RB group - Give White or Lloyd a shot to see if they could shake things up.

When we don't have an established RB1, give all the guys shots in the 1st half, then whoever had the best execution/effort/production, play him the most in the 2nd half. But we struggled to generate any positive offense for half the game, struggling to get any gains on 1st and 2nd downs, and having 3rd and long that put pressure on Doty and the receivers because THEN we had to pass, and the defense knew it.

It was too bland and one-dimensional an offense, which helped Kentucky work to shut it down, and had us running in place, generating nothing.....

In a low scoring game, you ALWAYS take the point that early. Always.
With almost 13 minutes left in the game and facing 4th and about five down inside the Kentucky 30 yard line, it was time to let our senior placekicker kick a field goal to make it a three-point game.

When we eschewed the field goal and went for the yardage, which we didn't pick up, we relinquished the chance to be in the game to the very end, even with everything else that happened afterwards.

Later on with under three minutes to go, we decided to kick a longer field goal rather than go for fourth down yardage in hopes of making a touchdown, and then, with just over two minutes to go and with only two timeouts left, we decided to kick off to the end zone rather than try an onside kick.

Kentucky got the one first down they needed to end the game, but let's just say they had been forced to punt. With all our timeouts gone, we were never going to have time to do other than throw a couple of Hail Marys. I spent the entire first half shaking my head over the play-calling and the entire second half scratching my head over the play-calling and decision-making.

I like our young coach. I love his enthusiasm. I want him to succeed. I'm getting too old to wait for us to plug and play two or three more coaches. His situational coaching must improve. His game management is already proving questionable and his offensive coordinator and O-line coach might doom him to failure here.

With almost 13 minutes left in the game and facing 4th and about five down inside the Kentucky 30 yard line, it was time to let our senior placekicker kick a field goal to make it a three-point game.

When we eschewed the field goal and went for the yardage, which we didn't pick up, we relinquished the chance to be in the game to the very end, even with everything else that happened afterwards.

Later on with under three minutes to go, we decided to kick a longer field goal rather than go for fourth down yardage in hopes of making a touchdown, and then, with just over two minutes to go and with only two timeouts left, we decided to kick off to the end zone rather than try an onside kick.

Kentucky got the one first down they needed to end the game, but let's just say they had been forced to punt. With all our timeouts gone, we were never going to have time to do other than throw a couple of Hail Marys. I spent the entire first half shaking my head over the play-calling and the entire second half scratching my head over the play-calling and decision-making.

I like our young coach. I love his enthusiasm. I want him to succeed. I'm getting too old to wait for us to plug and play two or three more coaches. His situational coaching must improve. His game management is already proving questionable and his offensive coordinator and O-line coach might doom him to failure here.

Well put. But this is pretty much exactly what was to be expected when a coach was hired to learn on the job, instead of doing that at a smaller school to start.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
He had plenty of time tonight and he completed almost 70% of his passes with over 6 yard average. Considering the number of terrible decisions to throw the ball to Harris dragged that number down it was a good night for him.
Agreed. What I liked to see was a QB who is capable of running deciding to stay in a pocket that hasnt been created all that much to this point. And in the same game a guy capable of moving out of the pocket with an eye downfield attempting passes with fairly good accuracy. Call me encouraged.

Well put. But this is pretty much exactly what was to be expected when a coach was hired to learn on the job, instead of doing that at a smaller school to start.

Have to agree. He's a likable guy, but his decisions in key situations were often head scratchers. Your kids played hard. Fortune smiled on you in the turnover department, and you had a real opportunity to prevail. Beamer seemed to get in his own way given the chance.

We had a lot of similar complaints about Stoops 8 years ago, but fewer now. I'm not sure you guys are interested in a HC "grow-up" timeline, but it can work out. Since he is a nice guy, let's hope it does.

Good luck going forward, especially with UT and the Taters.

It's nice when the opposition wants you to hang onto a losing coach. aka Muschamp. Hey, just give him a little more time and a big extension.

It's nice when the opposition wants you to hang onto a losing coach. aka Muschamp. Hey, just give him a little more time and a big extension.
I knew someone would say it, and I get it. All I'd say is don't judge too harshly this year, but obviously expect better every year. Yes, he has to show you SOMETHING special every year, and more each year. Stoops got a pass Year One because of the disaster he inherited. Muschamp left you guys sitting pretty compared to Joke(r) Phillips.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT