ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Beamer sheds light on Jason Brown's decision to enter transfer portal

M

Mike Uva

Less than 48 hours after the announcement that former Oklahoma quarterback Spencer Rattler committed to South Carolina, transfer quarterback Jason Brown announced on social media Wednesday morning that he would be entering the transfer portal as a graduate transfer.

“Jason and I have met a couple times over the past couple days and I met with Jason again this morning . He came in before we started meetings and he just felt like a fresh start is what would be best for him and I wised him well,” explained Beamer during his Wednesday media availability.

Following the news of Rattler committing to South Carolina, Beamer met with all of the quarterbacks that are currently on the Gamecocks' roster before addressing the team the following day on Tuesday before practice. According to team sources, in that meeting Beamer reiterated what he said to the quarterbacks by saying that competition will continue to be how this program will be built.

Brown, who came in this offseason from FCS St. Francis where he put up impressive numbers, started the final four games of the season and went 2-2 as a starter with wins over Florida and Auburn.

In seven total games he completed 56 percent of his passes for 721 yards and eight touchdowns to six interceptions.

“I told Jason I didn’t want him to go anywhere. I want Jason to stay here and compete and continue to write his story here at the University of South Carolina because it’s a fantastic story that he’s already started to write with what he did here in the month on November being the starting quarterback and leading us to wins against Florida and Auburn and getting bowl eligible."

Brown was listed as one of 11 players who graduated this semester but since he redshirted his freshman year at St. Francis, he’ll have one-year of eligibility remaining. As a graduated transfer, he’ll be immediately eligible to play wherever he chooses to transfer to.

“I hope our fans, because I know I do, appreciate how he’s worked since he’s got here, how he’s improved as a quarterback, the unselfishness he showed, the way he played down the stretch.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News