ADVERTISEMENT

Spartanburg radio show "Open Mic Daily",,,,,,,,,,any listeners?

umdterpcock

Gold Member
Sep 23, 2003
I've been a long time listener, a big fan of the show. Have been following them since before the antenna went down when they were an ESPN affiliate.

Up until now I've been a big Ryan Clary fan. Ryan is a Gamecock (or so I thought). He doesn't like Dabo and isn't afraid to say it, and he'll take a crack at Dabo and move on.

But here lately Clary has lost a ton of my respect, here's why:

He's always pointed out Dylan Thompsons flaws, not that I disagree with him on most, BUT yesterday he went on a rant about how bad Dylan was and how great DeShaun (Sp?) Watson is. Really Clary?????? Dylan came to SC as a project!!!!!! Wasn't highly recruited, is a great person, comes from a great family, and had a great career for a "project"!!!!! So Clary wants to compare a 5 star to a project! I dare Clary, after Watsons career is over, to compare who met or exceeded expectations! Guess the 49ers like him more than Clary! Wow!

Clary are you nuts? Are you a Gamecock? Are you just trying to be a shock jock? What is it !!!!????

Clary also is ragging on Spurrier! I tell you what, if Spurrier hasn't earned the right to let people, the media, the players and the fans the right to know what's on his mind I don't know who has!

So Clary if you read this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you a Gamecock or a wanna be shock jock?
Take some advice, go back to being a Gamecock first, shock jock second. You suck when it's the other way around!

I have no problem with someone not being a homer but you don't have to dig at a program to prove you're not one. The Dylan situation is as you said and DeShaun hasn't really proved anything as of yet. He is still injury prone and one season doesn't prove a career. Watson plays a system much like many QB's that excel in the hurry up offense of today. We'll see.....and Spurrier has nothing to prove...his proof is he is a future Hall of Fame coach.

I've been a long time listener, a big fan of the show. Have been following them since before the antenna went down when they were an ESPN affiliate.

Up until now I've been a big Ryan Clary fan. Ryan is a Gamecock (or so I thought). He doesn't like Dabo and isn't afraid to say it, and he'll take a crack at Dabo and move on.

But here lately Clary has lost a ton of my respect, here's why:

He's always pointed out Dylan Thompsons flaws, not that I disagree with him on most, BUT yesterday he went on a rant about how bad Dylan was and how great DeShaun (Sp?) Watson is. Really Clary?????? Dylan came to SC as a project!!!!!! Wasn't highly recruited, is a great person, comes from a great family, and had a great career for a "project"!!!!! So Clary wants to compare a 5 star to a project! I dare Clary, after Watsons career is over, to compare who met or exceeded expectations! Guess the 49ers like him more than Clary! Wow!

Clary are you nuts? Are you a Gamecock? Are you just trying to be a shock jock? What is it !!!!????

Clary also is ragging on Spurrier! I tell you what, if Spurrier hasn't earned the right to let people, the media, the players and the fans the right to know what's on his mind I don't know who has!

So Clary if you read this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you a Gamecock or a wanna be shock jock?
Take some advice, go back to being a Gamecock first, shock jock second. You suck when it's the other way around!

He sounds like another Teddy wantabe....

Problem with Clary, he likes to hear his self speak. He is a fellow gamecock though. The Spurrier comments were way off base yesterday. I was not listening when he was talking about Thompson. Clary is just like the some of the people on this board, Spurrier cannot do enough for them. I guess the biggest gripe with him between USC and Clemson is the recruiting effort between the 2 schools. I wonder what happen with Smitty and why he is not on the show any longer.

I live in Spartanburg and listen everyday on the ride home. I am like many who can only shake their heads at some of his comments. Houser doesn't say much against either, so they have to have someone spew something on the show... I can appreciate if he is just "doing his job", but if he is a gamecock fan, I don't understand the love he has for Clemson lately. He compared Spurrier's rant to Dilbo's a few years back. (NOT EVEN CLOSE IN MY OPINION) He said if he was a college coach he would show every recruit at another school the video and say "see the old man crying... you want to go play for him?"

Problem with Clary, he likes to hear his self speak. He is a fellow gamecock though. The Spurrier comments were way off base yesterday. I was not listening when he was talking about Thompson. Clary is just like the some of the people on this board, Spurrier cannot do enough for them. I guess the biggest gripe with him between USC and Clemson is the recruiting effort between the 2 schools. I wonder what happen with Smitty and why he is not on the show any longer.
I heard Smitty took a job at USC Upstate, Smitty is a great radio guy, he's missed.

Actually I thought, until lately, that Clary was too!

I don't want a homer at all, and I agree with Clary on the recruiting. That's always been my dig on Spurrier but Clary has turned in a very bad way towards the program.

Like you said he likes to hear himself talk, which is kind of funny because that's what he beats up on Dabo for!

I listen to Reynolds and gunter on 1440 am out of grernville.

I have a serious question: With him being "close" to the Spartanburg HS Football program (voice of the vikings) does his words have any pull towards guys that we are recruiting (i.e. Tavian Feaster). Clary almost seemed happy that he was going to Clemson... Am I way off saying that?

I have a serious question: With him being "close" to the Spartanburg HS Football program (voice of the vikings) does his words have any pull towards guys that we are recruiting (i.e. Tavian Feaster). Clary almost seemed happy that he was going to Clemson... Am I way off saying that?

Dude I can see where you'd say he does sound happy about Feaster going to Clemson, but I hope Im reading it wrong too!

WAS a big Clary fan, but not since he's been trying to imitate Ron Morris. Im very disappointed in the show now.

However DJ Moore has been a plus! Interesting perspective from an SEC and pro guy.

Clary does not talk to Feaster or any other Viking about college choices from what I am told, he even mention it yesterday that he did not.

One thing about open mic, I do enjoy it better than the guys on 107.5 in Columbia. Clary was just over the top yesterday. Did Spurrier's rant last week have everything to do with the guys committing this weekend, of course not. But it might have effected their decisions maybe by 5 to 10 percent. Spurrier sounded more like last week that he was going to coach for a long time, and there have been a lot of questions about this subject.

On a lot of subject he has been on point about SC. I look back at the baseball season and he said from game one that he didn't believe we were a top fifteen team. But always said once more help came in we would be okay. I normally actually like Clary's stance on a lot of things because he doesn't come off as a homer. BUT, he just took it way too far with the Spurrier/ Carolina talk these past few days.

On a lot of subject he has been on point about SC. I look back at the baseball season and he said from game one that he didn't believe we were a top fifteen team. But always said once more help came in we would be okay. I normally actually like Clary's stance on a lot of things because he doesn't come off as a homer. BUT, he just took it way too far with the Spurrier/ Carolina talk these past few days.

Agree! Too far is right!

Not sure what he was trying to prove or who he was trying to be but it sucked, he sucked, and for the most part Clary has been right on with Gamecock football (and Baseball for sure).

I'd like to see him look Dylan's dad in the face at one of their remote locations and talk the trash he has about Dylan. Same thing goes for Deptula, they bad talk all these guys and never have to face them.

Clary and Smitty are great together, and I like Houser (Sp?) too. Maybe Clary will come back to Earth today and stop being an idiot.

He wasn't a homer before and he doesn't have to be, just needs to be himself and quit trying to prove he's not a homer. And also the man-crush he has on Watson is stupid. I like Watson as a QB and understand what Clary sees but Watson isn't Tom Brady, at least not yet and hasn't done anything to deserve any Gamecock fan having a man-crush on him.

Agree! Too far is right!

Not sure what he was trying to prove or who he was trying to be but it sucked, he sucked, and for the most part Clary has been right on with Gamecock football (and Baseball for sure).

I'd like to see him look Dylan's dad in the face at one of their remote locations and talk the trash he has about Dylan. Same thing goes for Deptula, they bad talk all these guys and never have to face them.

Clary and Smitty are great together, and I like Houser (Sp?) too. Maybe Clary will come back to Earth today and stop being an idiot.

He wasn't a homer before and he doesn't have to be, just needs to be himself and quit trying to prove he's not a homer. And also the man-crush he has on Watson is stupid. I like Watson as a QB and understand what Clary sees but Watson isn't Tom Brady, at least not yet and hasn't done anything to deserve any Gamecock fan having a man-crush on him.

For all the idiots out there in Tater Tot ville, Watson has started 5 games, before I hear anything else from any talkshow or media outlet that he is a Heisman candidate already is just down right some kind of stupid. Show me a FULL season. No injuries. And actually winning "the big games" in TaterVille. They forget that as bad of a season we had last year, we at least beat a ranked opponent.

I am kind of surprised at the comments being made out Dylan. Danny (Dylan's dad) has been on the show numerous times, and they grasped at every word he spoke. Its a shame we have some that eat their own.

Reactions: Tigerof66
For all the idiots out there in Tater Tot ville, Watson has started 5 games, before I hear anything else from any talkshow or media outlet that he is a Heisman candidate already is just down right some kind of stupid. Show me a FULL season. No injuries. And actually winning "the big games" in TaterVille. They forget that as bad of a season we had last year, we at least beat a ranked opponent.

I am kind of surprised at the comments being made out Dylan. Danny (Dylan's dad) has been on the show numerous times, and they grasped at every word he spoke. Its a shame we have some that eat their own.

I've heard Danny on there and you are right, but it's always been Hauser or Smitty fielding his calls. I am a bit surprised that Hauser is ok with Clary's rant, especially since family of players calling gives another perspective to the show and only increases ratings.

I'll be streamed in as soon as I get out of my 3pm meeting today, maybe Clary will be more himself on todays show.

I live in Spartanburg and prefer O.M.D. over the Sturgis show out of Greenville mainly because they cover more local prep sports and typically are more gamecock friendly. IMO the show took a step back when Smitty left to work at USC Upstate. Clary is definitely a gamecock, and he has never wavered from his criticisms of Dylan that started last year on the show. Some of his points regarding on-the-field mistakes Dylan made were justified. And I like the perspective he brings to different topics. What grates on my nerves is when he talks to the mic(listeners) like he is talking to a child. He'll ask a question to himself and follow with "NO! NO! NO! NO!" or something to that effect. You sometimes can imagine Houser sitting there thinking "Man, just STFU please."

Ryan Clary has ruined that show. The format used to be three guys - Smitty, Hauser (correct spelling btw) and sort of a rotating third member. Clary was that third guy about four years ago and he didn't bother me THAT much then because Smitty always carried that show and made it much better than your average local sportstalk radio IMO. But man from the day they came back on the air at the new station it has been crap. Clary loves to hear himself talk, as someone already pointed out. And boy does he NOT have a radio voice. They never take calls anymore either... isn't that the point of the show's name? I've heard him talk for my entire drive across town about hot dogs or his kid's soccer team. I've heard from some people in the know that say Hauser isn't happy with the quality of the show now either, but he's in his 50s and probably is just killing some time until he moves to Oregon and retires in three or four years. From what I understand, Clary and Smitty are business partners of some sort and if that's true, I suspect that explains why he is on the show. I have no idea why Spartanburg High School pays him to call their football games but that's another thread I guess.

Edit - I still listen though because Mark Sturgis on ESPN out of Greenville has an even more annoying voice than Clary. His vowels are... bizarre. You'd have to hear it to understand.

I live in Spartanburg and prefer O.M.D. over the Sturgis show out of Greenville mainly because they cover more local prep sports and typically are more gamecock friendly. IMO the show took a step back when Smitty left to work at USC Upstate. Clary is definitely a gamecock, and he has never wavered from his criticisms of Dylan that started last year on the show. Some of his points regarding on-the-field mistakes Dylan made were justified. And I like the perspective he brings to different topics. What grates on my nerves is when he talks to the mic(listeners) like he is talking to a child. He'll ask a question to himself and follow with "NO! NO! NO! NO!" or something to that effect. You sometimes can imagine Houser sitting there thinking "Man, just STFU please."

Clary has a point with the numbers he pulled on Dylan, I have no problem with him not being a Dylan fan, quite honestly Im not either and am shocked he's still with the 49ers. My issue with Clary is how he keeps piling it on Dylan.

I also agree that based on raw ability that Watson is head and shoulders above Dylan. But he cant compare who reached their potential because Dylan exceeded expectations and Watson has only played 5 games.

Why the hell is he comparing a 2* to a 5* ???? Watson is supposed to shine and he's supposed to have A++++++ numbers. Makes no sense, especially since Clary isn't dumb and he's a gamecock.

Ryan Clary has ruined that show. The format used to be three guys - Smitty, Hauser (correct spelling btw) and sort of a rotating third member. Clary was that third guy about four years ago and he didn't bother me THAT much then because Smitty always carried that show and made it much better than your average local sportstalk radio IMO. But man from the day they came back on the air at the new station it has been crap. Clary loves to hear himself talk, as someone already pointed out. And boy does he NOT have a radio voice. They never take calls anymore either... isn't that the point of the show's name? I've heard him talk for my entire drive across town about hot dogs or his kid's soccer team. I've heard from some people in the know that say Hauser isn't happy with the quality of the show now either, but he's in his 50s and probably is just killing some time until he moves to Oregon and retires in three or four years. From what I understand, Clary and Smitty are business partners of some sort and if that's true, I suspect that explains why he is on the show. I have no idea why Spartanburg High School pays him to call their football games but that's another thread I guess.

Edit - I still listen though because Mark Sturgis on ESPN out of Greenville has an even more annoying voice that Clary. His vowels are... bizarre. You'd have to hear it to understand.

The show definitely isn't as good without Smitty. Smitty had a future, in my opinion, that was much bigger than "open mic" but you have to start somewhere.

If you think it's bad now, just wait til Clary gets into the pro wrestling this week! Is that really sports?

Dylan doesn't have to prove squat to any radio loudmouths. Running a Spurrier type offense is echelons more difficult than Clemson's shuck and jive offense. They run or hand off 75% of the time. The other 25% are 10 yards or less. They throw long very seldom and miss on more than they complete even with world class sprinters every year.

He interviewed A well known "Guest" today, and was bashing sc recruiting and was trying to lead the guest into saying something about how Spurrier had set the program back with 2-3 year comment and how we are now at a level of recruiting 2 and 3 * players again.

I agree with the previous posters that they actually USE to take a lot of calls but now we spend more time plugging Ricky's hotdogs, Dino's, and YMCA tee-ball and soccer

[QUOTE

I agree with the previous posters that they actually USE to take a lot of calls but now we spend more time plugging Ricky's hotdogs, Dino's, and YMCA tee-ball and soccer[/QUOTE]

LOL I know they have to pay the bills but it really is like a big long commercial sometimes.

The show definitely isn't as good without Smitty. Smitty had a future, in my opinion, that was much bigger than "open mic" but you have to start somewhere.

If you think it's bad now, just wait til Clary gets into the pro wrestling this week! Is that really sports?

What I've really noticed is how much Hauser needed Smitty. I used to think they were both really good but Hauser is a shadow of his former self with Clary. Sometimes RC will say something just so stupid that it's jaw-dropping and Hauser does this maniacal uberlaugh that is just so fake and a little uncomfortable. I know I sound like a jilted girlfriend but I can't help it. I LOVED that show and now I can barely listen to it. A bunch of us jumped all over them on Facebook a few times and it did get better for a while but... they just don't have it without Clary. I'd love to have Joey Hawkins and Tony Allison take it honestly.

Dylan doesn't have to prove squat to any radio loudmouths. Running a Spurrier type offense is echelons more difficult than Clemson's shuck and jive offense. They run or hand off 75% of the time. The other 25% are 10 yards or less. They throw long very seldom and miss on more than they complete even with world class sprinters every year.

Not to buck what you're saying BUT Clary quoted Watson's yards per attempt about 2-3 yards more than Dylan. Im shocked, if that's true! Escpecially since that little flip to the wide receiver that looks like a sweep is counted as pass yardage.

He interviewed A well known "Guest" today, and was bashing sc recruiting and was trying to lead the guest into saying something about how Spurrier had set the program back with 2-3 year comment and how we are now at a level of recruiting 2 and 3 * players again.

I agree with the previous posters that they actually USE to take a lot of calls but now we spend more time plugging Ricky's hotdogs, Dino's, and YMCA tee-ball and soccer

Wasn't the "special guest" JC Shurbert?

I guess the bottom line for me is that Clary isn't the Clary of 4 or 5 years ago. Man that was when they were good.

My point in all of this is that Clary is trying to be something he's not and he's comparing a 5* to Dylan Thompson.

Clary, look at Dylan's numbers without comparison to anyone, they aren't great but they damn sure weren't bad! And he didn't even need to deflate the football! LOL

Clary also tried to lead another "special guest" that way too and it didn't go over well. After they hung up, Clary strongly disagreed.

Hopefully Howser will get some feedback from these guys and put RC in his place.

DJ put RC in his place a couple of times yesterday for busting on Spurrier. Love DJs perspective on the show.

It literally would be comedy central if not for DJ right now.

I listen because it's sports....but the show is bad. Broken record I guess, but OMD desperately needs new talent.
I had to turn it off today, that wrestling crap is bad radio.

Sure hope Howser gets a grip on it and turns it back into the show it used to be.

They are wasting DJ Moore's time on that show right now. Clary has totally lost it.

Haven't listened to OMD as much the last few months. Agree with Jeff above. Have started listening more to Reynolds and Gunter on Fox Sports 1440. They are out of Columbia and cover South Carolina really well and have some really good guests. They had Troy Williamson on last week which was neat to hear him and what he has been up to.

They also have Willie Smith on from the Greenville News who is the one newspaper writer I still like to read from time to time. He seems like the fairest beat writer in the state when I have read his articles and has some good insight on the program when he comes on.

Edit - I still listen though because Mark Sturgis on ESPN out of Greenville has an even more annoying voice than Clary. His vowels are... bizarre. You'd have to hear it to understand.

Sturgis is a Clemson homer too, even though he went to Bama.

I had to turn it off today, that wrestling crap is bad radio.

Sure hope Howser gets a grip on it and turns it back into the show it used to be.

They are wasting DJ Moore's time on that show right now. Clary has totally lost it.

I'm over near Reidville and 290 and the signal was so weak today I couldn't make much of it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT