ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking of Nascar....

permacock70

Aug 31, 2000
After the $400 million renovation at Daytona, perm. seating will be reduced in 2016 from
approx. 155,000 seats to 101,000.

There will be less overall seating but it will all be on the front stretch between turns one and four. These stands have been enlarged and the backstretch is being demolished. It is a smart move as no one liked sitting back there anyway.

There will be less overall seating but it will all be on the front stretch between turns one and four. These stands have been enlarged and the backstretch is being demolished. It is a smart move as no one liked sitting back there anyway.
Giving up some 50,000 seats is strong indication of the increasing lack of interest in Nascar. $400,000,000 to put lipstick on a pig.

Giving up some 50,000 seats is strong indication of the increasing lack of interest in Nascar. $400,000,000 to put lipstick on a pig.
Those 50,000 seats had butts in them this year. ISCA which owns Daytona wanted to build the ultimate racing stadium and by all reports when its finished it will be a showplace. Hardly putting lipstick on a pig. Losing the 50,000 seats on the backstretch is NASCAR taking interest in fans having better seats and great experience. With the new front stretch stands and the infeild crowd Daytona will still have crowds of over 150,000 including 15 million on TV.

NASCAR screwed the pooch when they dumped southern tradition tracks that visited there city twice a year like Rockingham and Darlington . Rockingham was a great track. Now they go to place like Las Vegas , Chicago . Plus they changed the points system that sucks to .

NASCAR screwed the pooch when they dumped southern tradition tracks that visited there city twice a year like Rockingham and Darlington . Rockingham was a great track. Now they go to place like Las Vegas , Chicago . Plus they changed the points system that sucks to .
Um Rockingham couldn't sell out 60,000 seats so the owners closed it and moved the date to much bigger markets. It had no support from the local community when NASCAR just tried to bring the Truck Series back when Andy Hillenberg bought it

Nobody can deny the season needs to be shortened by a month. Most everyone that woes for a team will tell you that.

Um Rockingham couldn't sell out 60,000 seats so the owners closed it and moved the date to much bigger markets. It had no support from the local community when NASCAR just tried to bring the Truck Series back when Andy Hillenberg bought it
Yes, on paper, it looks like a smart move to replace a race at a 60,000 track for one at a 100,000 seat track and it is undeniable that the races in Chicago, Las Vegas, and the like draw larger crowds than the races at Rockingham, North Wilkesboro, Darlington, etc. What doesn't show up on paper, however, is that a lot, if not most, fans who attended races at those older tracks, didn't attend just one or two races per year. From their homes in the southeast, they also made weekend trips to Atlanta, Talladega, Bristol, Charlotte, etc. So when a segment of those fans decided they were done going to races, NASCAR didn't just lose them from one or two races. They lost them from a handful of races per year. And as ticket prices increase, the races become less exciting, and the drivers become more corporate and sterile, NASCAR appears to lose more and more of these traditional fans each year.

As for the local Rockingham community not supporting the Truck Series when they attempted to bring it back, that seems to fit the "what would you expect?" category. That's kind of like moving a major league franchise from a city and then not understanding why the citizens weren't excited about the AA franchise that replaced them.

The dumbest move lately for NASCAR was allowing NBC to shift races to NBC Sports and Fox to shift theirs to Fox 1 Sports. The advertisers are not getting their bang for the buck. They cut into viewership and I still don't know if that is going to stay the course. I would want blanket coverage for my dollars not some scheme to attract viewers to pay channels.....oh well....

Yes, on paper, it looks like a smart move to replace a race at a 60,000 track for one at a 100,000 seat track and it is undeniable that the races in Chicago, Las Vegas, and the like draw larger crowds than the races at Rockingham, North Wilkesboro, Darlington, etc. What doesn't show up on paper, however, is that a lot, if not most, fans who attended races at those older tracks, didn't attend just one or two races per year. From their homes in the southeast, they also made weekend trips to Atlanta, Talladega, Bristol, Charlotte, etc. So when a segment of those fans decided they were done going to races, NASCAR didn't just lose them from one or two races. They lost them from a handful of races per year. And as ticket prices increase, the races become less exciting, and the drivers become more corporate and sterile, NASCAR appears to lose more and more of these traditional fans each year.

As for the local Rockingham community not supporting the Truck Series when they attempted to bring it back, that seems to fit the "what would you expect?" category. That's kind of like moving a major league franchise from a city and then not understanding why the citizens weren't excited about the AA franchise that replaced them.
The races are NOT less exciting. Data proves the racing is better and more competitive. The problem is for some reason the newbie fans that came along in the early 2000's think the racing should be side by side racing on every track like the plate races at Daytona and Talledega. Not gonna happen no matter what you do. NASCAR is still averaging well over 80,000 attendance but it looks much worse due to the expansion of seats at most tracks when the boom hit in 2005. The reaction in Rockingham was no different then when Rockingham couldnt fill a 60,000 seat track when they had 2 Cup races. The market was stale and any good sanctioning body would move to larger markets.

The dumbest move lately for NASCAR was allowing NBC to shift races to NBC Sports and Fox to shift theirs to Fox 1 Sports. The advertisers are not getting their bang for the buck. They cut into viewership and I still don't know if that is going to stay the course. I would want blanket coverage for my dollars not some scheme to attract viewers to pay channels.....oh well....

+1 Fox coverage is horrible Darrell Waltrip sucks. The best one is ESPN , Then they messed with the point system and added the race for the chase crap.

Reactions: superflyby
+1 Fox coverage is horrible Darrell Waltrip sucks. The best one is ESPN , Then they messed with the point system and added the race for the chase crap.
No network ever has run the full season on free network tv. None nada zilch. NASCAR can not dictate what the TV networks do. The net works move races to cable TV to gain subscribers. Its not that hard to understand. U claim ESPN is the best? ESPN is a cable based subscriber entity. Its money no different then the NFL and sunday ticket.

In the not too distant future we will not be burdened with discussions involving NASCAR.

No network ever has run the full season on free network tv. None nada zilch. NASCAR can not dictate what the TV networks do. The net works move races to cable TV to gain subscribers. Its not that hard to understand. U claim ESPN is the best? ESPN is a cable based subscriber entity. Its money no different then the NFL and sunday ticket.
The advertisers can....I would not pay the same money for a race if I was an advertiser shown on NBC Sports as I would for regular NBC. It's the difference in paying the same rate for local vs national television shows. You pay for an extended audience therefor you are willing to pay more. It's a no brainier...

The advertisers can....I would not pay the same money for a race if I was an advertiser shown on NBC Sports as I would for regular NBC. It's the difference in paying the same rate for local vs national television shows. You pay for an extended audience therefor you are willing to pay more. It's a no brainier...
Im sure the ad rates are adjusted accordingly. Those people aren't dummies.

Im sure the ad rates are adjusted accordingly. Those people aren't dummies.
I agree but they still would rather have a national audience than is much larger. It's a showcase event that they crave. I have a business and I will pass on something cheaper to reach for a better audience because it will raise my product. They have advertising budgets and cost is a factor but the return for the dollar is much more important. If you spend less and get less what's the value there ? There is none....This is the first year that NASCAR has had this many races and important ones, not reach it's full audience and may be the last if everyone is smart.

I agree but they still would rather have a national audience than is much larger. It's a showcase event that they crave. I have a business and I will pass on something cheaper to reach for a better audience because it will raise my product. They have advertising budgets and cost is a factor but the return for the dollar is much more important. If you spend less and get less what's the value there ? There is none....This is the first year that NASCAR has had this many races and important ones, not reach it's full audience and may be the last if everyone is smart.
Well If im NASCAR the Daytona 500 is gonna be Network and so would the Brickyard 400, we can agree on that. But with NBC spending a couple billion dollars for TV rights you have to give them some leeway to gain that back through ad sales and new subscibers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT