ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier Knows He Has Something

G.I. Joe

Jul 7, 2009
Augusta, GA
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but whatever.

I've been a fan of SOS for quite a while, and as such I've come to learn a few things about him. Among those things is his how his swagger/trash talk usually directly correlates with what he's got on the field.

He gave a couple wink/nods to Gamecock Nation about this upcoming season that lead me to believe some lights have come on within our roster. Much of it could have to do with our young but very talented secondary, coupled with a much improved and reinforced D-Line. Whatever it is, he wouldn't have basically gotten giddy mentioning Clemson coming to town unless he was pretty confident.

I understand the tendency to look at things through garnet colored glasses, but I really don't feel I'm being irrational here. If we had just an average defense last season, 10 wins was very doable. If the offense is clicking and the defense has continued to gel as they did at the end of last season, I can see why he may have a little pep in his step.

I've said this multiple times. When he chirps, it means he likes what he sees. He didn't do really any last year, and look how it turned out. in 2012, he held nothing back and we had a near complete team that year.

Reactions: oakley51

I've been a fan of SOS for quite a while, and as such I've come to learn a few things about him. Among those things is his how his swagger/trash talk usually directly correlates with what he's got on the field.

He gave a couple wink/nods to Gamecock Nation about this upcoming season that lead me to believe some lights have come on within our roster. Much of it could have to do with our young but very talented secondary, coupled with a much improved and reinforced D-Line. Whatever it is, he wouldn't have basically gotten giddy mentioning Clemson coming to town unless he was pretty confident.

I understand the tendency to look at things through garnet colored glasses, but I really don't feel I'm being irrational here. If we had just an average defense last season, 10 wins was very doable. If the offense is clicking and the defense has continued to gel as they did at the end of last season, I can see why he may have a little pep in his step.

con-shon may call you a zealot but I'm hearing you. Tell it all, brother ... testify.

I'm not sure if that is the case. I think Spurrier likes to prove people wrong and that is part of it and the fact that Hoke came aboard is probably a part of it too. If the defense had been solid we would have been 11-2 at worse again last year. The clemsux game started out good and then fell apart with our poor defensive play. That game could have easily been a win because one solid hit would have taken Watson out. I expect the defense to be much improved and I believe Spurrier is putting all his eggs in Hoke's basket. I hope it works but I think it is as much smoke as anything.....

He may like what he sees, but there are so many things that can happen between now and the end of the season that you just have to wait and see. I just hope the players have been putting in the time off-season with conditioning, etc., and are ready to go physically & mentally.

I've said this multiple times. When he chirps, it means he likes what he sees. He didn't do really any last year, and look how it turned out. in 2012, he held nothing back and we had a near complete team that year.

"When he chirps" like b4 the a&m game last yr & their schedule...ouch!

always liked the way vince poor mouthed his team (he was a master) & built up the other teams regardless of who it was> "Vanderbilt may have the finest left-handed quarterback we’ll see all season."

Reactions: blewis7
What's the name of your unicorn?

I'm getting the feeling you're about as prescient as Walt Disney's, J K Rowling's or Michael Bloomburg's first bosses ... the same 'experts' who fired 'em telling Disney he wasn't creative enough, Rowling she should stop day-dreaming and concentrate on her 'secretarial skills' and that nut at Salomon Brothers who fired Bloomburg with the admonition he didn't know enough about money to work there. All three of those 'managerial' bean-counters slithered into relative obscurity, while those three wild-eyed 'unicorn' believers mentioned above went on to fame, fortune and success.
The 'process' (no matter what the goal is) BEGINS with desire AND 'belief'.
Living the dream's the important thing ... fame and fortune are just ancillary benefits. What makes success sweetest are voices like yours ... guys who never catch the foul ball 'cause they never look up ... guys who stay permanently bent over waiting for the grounder or the line-drive, all the while secretly praying for a strikeout. One of those people Teddy Roosevelt was talking about when he opined on life's 'sad souls' that refused to compete, fearfully perched on the sidelines of life thus never able to experience either the joy of success or the sadness of losing - firmly entrenched among the masses born with promise who then do nothing but, eat, doo doo and die - afraid to 'believe' in anything. Unsatisfied with what's given them but too afraid to venture from the nest. It hurts to fall, it can be a long way down sometimes ... but the possible distance will always be greater if you look skyward and learn to fly.
Have a little 'faith' in our guys ... they're going to do us proud, I promise you.
National Champions? Probably not. Five 'probable' losses with eight losses possible? (That was your prediction) If this was liar's poker I'd call your 8 L's.

I watched Shell and Robinson both get beat on that second down play against UT in the overtime period in the replay the other night. No blitz just beat. And the first down play was a sack too. Third down we threw it OOB. We couldn't make third and 1 how many times last year? Our personnel has got to get better! It doesn't matter if SOS is shooting fireballs out his mouth. And yes he chirped last year. So did Ward. Wednesdays presser was done to help our program and it will. Recruiting and attitude of the players will benefit. He did it for USC only. He's smart enough to know know one cares about a team except that team and its fans.

I like the way you think!!! GO COCKS!

People like to say he chirped last year but he really didn't. He spoke about the hours he kept compared with other coaches but didn't speak up the team. In fact when all the coaches were asked to describe their teams with one word last year at media days, he said "decent". He wasn't lying. That's all we were.

I watched Shell and Robinson both get beat on that second down play against UT in the overtime period in the replay the other night. No blitz just beat. And the first down play was a sack too. Third down we threw it OOB. We couldn't make third and 1 how many times last year? Our personnel has got to get better! It doesn't matter if SOS is shooting fireballs out his mouth. And yes he chirped last year. So did Ward. Wednesdays presser was done to help our program and it will. Recruiting and attitude of the players will benefit. He did it for USC only. He's smart enough to know know one cares about a team except that team and its fans.
Well, here's what I saw when I re-watched that
Tenn-Gamecocks game, 2014: of the three plays consecutively where our Gamecock offense BACKED OUT of reasonable field goal range,
on the last play, the LEFT side tackle WAS LAZY AND DIDN"T EVEN GIVE THE D Lineman any real resistance ! How the heck can you win when at a critical time like that , a player is not giving effort? --let alone not giving a 110% effort !
For these reasons, I now understand why Spurrier said we're going to encourage some players to leave. (The ones who are not giving effort (in practice/ in personal preparation/ and/or within the game--I'm sure Spurrier was referring.)
I think Spurrier said this at some point after the Jan, 2015 Miami bowl game ? (If nobody corrects me w/ specific information, then we'll assume my timing is right on when Spurrier said this.)

I wish SOS was confident, but I think his presser had all to do with this recruiting weekend, and then of course, he couldn't resist telling us to not listen to our enemies while poking fun at a couple of places. He has always like to poke the opposition (Free Shoes U; UT and Citrus, wins over UGA, Ray Goff, etc....), but honestly doesn't take it too well when others poke at him which is a reflection of his cockiness which he usually backs up...

Well, here's what I saw when I re-watched that
Tenn-Gamecocks game, 2014
:
of the three plays consecutively where our Gamecock offense BACKED OUT of reasonable field goal range,
on the last play, the LEFT side tackle WAS LAZY AND DIDN"T EVEN GIVE THE D Lineman any real resistance ! How the heck can you win when at a critical time like that , a player is not giving effort? --let alone not giving a 110% effort !
For these reasons, I now understand why Spurrier said we're going to encourage some players to leave. (The ones who are not giving effort (in practice/ in personal preparation/ and/or within the game--I'm sure Spurrier was referring.)
I think Spurrier said this at some point after the Jan, 2015 Miami bowl game ? (If nobody corrects me w/ specific information, then we'll assume my timing is right on when Spurrier said this.)

There was really no reason for us to have been throwing on any of those downs. Yes Shell did nothing but more of an example of Spurrier calling a pass play when a run is the smarter call

What's Dabo's record against Spurrier? If we win this year recruits will flock back
You guys seem to think we only recruit against clemsux. It has been stated many times by Spurrier that we rarely recruit the same players as them. The SEC games are much more important for recruiting. Win those and clemsux will always be a win. We have proved that....

There was really no reason for us to have been throwing on any of those downs. Yes Shell did nothing but more of an example of Spurrier calling a pass play when a run is the smarter call

We were up 2 TD's with under 3 minutes to go and some people still blame the offense. Amazing.

I know it was a total team failure but the offense should never have been in that situation.

I remember before last year began there was an article in the media where they asked all the head coaches to describe their football team in one word. Spurrier said we were "decent." I remember at the time laughing and thinking that was just coach-speak.....but of course he was more accurate in that assessment than most of the media pundits. Well, he just said he thought we were going to be a dang good football team. I don't how that will translate into wins on the field, but if 7 wins is "decent" then I'm pretty excited to see what "dang good" means.

Playcalling lost the game against UT in overtime.

PLAYCALLING. Why are we trying to drop back and pass in that situation?

Playcalling lost the game against UT in overtime.

PLAYCALLING. Why are we trying to drop back and pass in that situation?

Why are you beating a dead horse?
We get to play 'em again this year, just call it a 'do-over' and save your rants for iffin' we don't get it right. Nothing that happened LAST YEAR has any effect on this season's record. We ain't pulling skiers ... we need to be looking ahead, not back. These guys are good. Holloman, Moore, Cooper - pretty much all these guys have said they 'remember' but have put the mistakes of last year behind them and can't wait to get on the field THIS YEAR. We got a few 'breaks' in the 3-straight 11-2 run years and seemed to get zip for breaks and made some mistakes in 2014.
Let's wait and see 'em on the field. I've been impressed with what they've had to say 'bout how they're approaching the 2015 season. It ain't 'swagger' but it's sure not fear, either ... so let's not be afraid for 'em. Or harp on what 'might have been'. I always wanted to be 6'3", a great athlete and good-lookin' but I ain't.
Conner Mitch is, though. Let's see how he/they do 'fore we start wailing 'bout UT or anybody from 2014. It's a new day.

We get to play 'em again this year, just call it a 'do-over' and save your rants for iffin' we don't get it right. Nothing that happened LAST YEAR has any effect on this season's record. We ain't pulling skiers ... we need to be looking ahead, not back. These guys are good. Holloman, Moore, Cooper - pretty much all these guys have said they 'remember' but have put the mistakes of last year behind them and can't wait to get on the field THIS YEAR. We got a few 'breaks' in the 3-straight 11-2 run years and seemed to get zip for breaks and made some mistakes in 2014.
Let's wait and see 'em on the field. I've been impressed with what they've had to say 'bout how they're approaching the 2015 season. It ain't 'swagger' but it's sure not fear, either ... so let's not be afraid for 'em. Or harp on what 'might have been'. I always wanted to be 6'3", a great athlete and good-lookin' but I ain't.
Conner Mitch is, though. Let's see how he/they do 'fore we start wailing 'bout UT or anybody from 2014. It's a new day.
There is nothing impressive about words. Ever. Where are you getting this stuff like Conner Mitch is tough? And who is that anyway? I thought the guy's name was Connor and he hasn't had one start.

I didn't wake up today and decide to relive the UT overtime debacle.

But since a poster brought up the game and singled out Shell's pass protection - I wanted to make sure everyone knows we should not have come out throwing during overtime.

Dylan got sacked twice and it forced us to try for a 58 yard field goal.

We would have fared better if we just came out and went for a field goal on 1st down - but we didn't and our playcalling led us to over -20 yards.

Reactions: bmhood1984
I was in Thailand last year on a Mission Trip with a bunch of Vols and had to endure a serenade of Rocky Top in a crowded restaurant the night after. Glad I missed it in person. They are licking their chops to face us in Knoxville this year and we must answer strongly!

Reactions: debordieu cock

You are attempting to back-up CliffordII, but you are not even talking about the same player. He said LEFT side tackle. That was Corey Robinson.

Suites, your rhetoric was about as inspiring as Winston Churchill's to the people of Great Brittan after the fall at Dunkirk but I agree with every thing said. Great time to be a GAMECOCK!!!!!

Reactions: debordieu cock
Spurrier's press conference may have been for the benefit of 12th man. I too, believe that we will be improved on Defense this year, but I have a hard time being optimistic about the offense when we are so un-settled on a QB with 4 in the competition. If Spurrier was talking positively about Mitch, or any of them for that matter, I would feel better. Let's face it, we can't be offensively successful running the wildcat on every play.
Maybe Spurrier sensed (accurately) that the fan base was short circuiting because of last year, and felt it necessary to give us something to be optimistic about.
I'm not being a negative Nellie. I'm just trying to figure out how we could have hidden all the talent last year that will be necessary to have a "dang good ball team" this year. Like another poster wrote; all of our opponents players should have improved too.

Spurrier's press conference may have been for the benefit of 12th man. I too, believe that we will be improved on Defense this year, but I have a hard time being optimistic about the offense when we are so un-settled on a QB with 4 in the competition. If Spurrier was talking positively about Mitch, or any of them for that matter, I would feel better. Let's face it, we can't be offensively successful running the wildcat on every play.
Maybe Spurrier sensed (accurately) that the fan base was short circuiting because of last year, and felt it necessary to give us something to be optimistic about.
I'm not being a negative Nellie. I'm just trying to figure out how we could have hidden all the talent last year that will be necessary to have a "dang good ball team" this year. Like another poster wrote; all of our opponents players should have improved too.

IMO, there is much to be confident of. That doesn't mean I would taunt any team and call us world beaters either.

With that said, we technically have (4) solid veteran starters along he OL (Shell, Knott, Gibson, Matulis) along with highly regarded talent for depth (Stanley, Park, Bailey, Pellage). We have (2) solid veteran RB's (Wilds and Carson) with even David Williams garnering attention over them.. Back at WR, is All SEC WR, Pharoh Cooper. All of the above will help take pressure off of a new QB and secondary WR's. I'm cautiously optimistic :)

With the Defense, no one will argue that the strength and depth is the LB core. They should be fine. All (3) with a lot of experience. And I don't think anyone would argue that we could have used help at DL and DB last year. We got it. DL-Lewis, Wideman, Sawyer will provide immediate relief. Tackle should be fine. Dixon Jr, Griffin, Stallworth, Dukes, Lamin,

Sorry didn't mean to hit post.

And at DB, Rico and Lammons are growing up.. Transfer Johnson coming in for over the top help along with a couple of fairly seasoned guys in Diggs and Elder with DJ Smith providing depth.

With the addition of Hoke, I think we improve greatly from last year. I've said before, I don't think we go 11-2 but I do believe we will be better than last years team and hope for as much progress as possible.

There is nothing impressive about words. Ever. Where are you getting this stuff like Conner Mitch is tough? And who is that anyway? I thought the guy's name was Connor and he hasn't had one start.

Thanks for the 'spelling' correction!!! ... as to 'who' I was talking about ... Connor Mitch is the one that's 6'3", a great athlete and good-looking, which (as I said) I always wanted to be but never was. I didn't say Mitch was 'tough' - that part I don't know, yet ... but I BET he is!

Responding to "words don't mean anything, ever" that would depend.
In your case, which is one long 6,000 + 'woe-is-me' post in LESS than three seasons you are RIGHT, my brother! Your text doesn't mean squat. It's depressing and unimaginative, negative and off-putting ... it's non-constructive and generally ill-informed; usually composed as a result of incomplete thoughts or misunderstood information.

But I think there's hope. I certainly HOPE so. There are few things worse than wasted legacy ... but it's not uncommon.

I'll admit to always trying to picture the glass half-full but God knows that's got to be better than being fortunate enough to inherit good shoes (which describes what you get to walk in as a 'purported' Gamecock fan) and then spending your entire hike through life stopping every two steps to check your soles while complaining that you 'think you MIGHT be walking in dooky.

You need to do a quick check of your 'personal' hygiene - 'cause whatever you're smelling MIGHT be running down your leg and OUT your shoes. Your whole problem, the cause of your 'fears' - could just be you.

Spurrier knows he has the running game to pound the opposition's defense into submission, then cut loose on a P Cooper big play every now and then, all while slowly bringing along the development of his QB's. He knows our D will be much improved and will keep us close against opponents that may be better than us on "paper". That will play right into the hands of maybe the SEC's most experienced and clutch FG kicker. There's no reason to hope for 8 w's when another 11 w season is not only possible, but probable.

I'm not sure if that is the case. I think Spurrier likes to prove people wrong and that is part of it and the fact that Hoke came aboard is probably a part of it too. If the defense had been solid we would have been 11-2 at worse again last year. The clemsux game started out good and then fell apart with our poor defensive play. That game could have easily been a win because one solid hit would have taken Watson out. I expect the defense to be much improved and I believe Spurrier is putting all his eggs in Hoke's basket. I hope it works but I think it is as much smoke as anything.....

I hope he has the goal to prove Lee Corso wrong...

Suites, your rhetoric was about as inspiring as Winston Churchill's to the people of Great Brittan after the fall at Dunkirk but I agree with every thing said. Great time to be a GAMECOCK!!!!!
Yes. I rarely read a post as well put as his was. As far as thread goes, I am predicting 9-4 and hoping 11-2.

Reactions: raycock2001
I'm less worried about the D than I am the O, questions about QB experience and receiver depth have me concerned! The other thing is the schedule, a lot of our opponents have similar questions that we do, it's going to take a few games as usual to see if we/they can work things out! I would have a real tough time betting on over/under 8 wins at this point!

I'm less worried about the D than I am the O, questions about QB experience and receiver depth have me concerned! The other thing is the schedule, a lot of our opponents have similar questions that we do, it's going to take a few games as usual to see if we/they can work things out! I would have a real tough time betting on over/under 8 wins at this point!
How can anyone not be worried about the defense after last year? Don't want to sound like the alarmist nellies around here but while I'm convinced the D will be better will it be good enough to help us win? What we lacked most on defense was DE's that could pass rush and/or defend the run, swing passes etc. I'm sure we'll see netter pressure than last season, but will the DE's be solid all around? That will take some time too. I'm sure they'll get burned a few times before they get it figured out. What I'm really hoping for is they can all come together and play as an effective unit, on the same page every play and helping each other with positioning, coverages recognizing plays.
As far as the offense, we know it'll take time for them gel. I'm hoping Mitch works toward being a field manager early on with the coaches taking what the defense gives until he can get comfortable and gain some confidence. He's surrounded with solid talent so it should fairly easy to work him in slowly. And of course it will depend mostly on how well the OL plays and how long it takes them to gel (which they have a history of being up and down the past few years). But somehow I have a feeling Spurrier is gonna want to come out slinging the ball all over the field like he did with DT last year, which I think could be a huge mistake.
Either way, I just want to see them win. Plenty to be concerned about though on both sides of the ball.

How can anyone not be worried about the defense after last year? Don't want to sound like the alarmist nellies around here but while I'm convinced the D will be better will it be good enough to help us win? What we lacked most on defense was DE's that could pass rush and/or defend the run, swing passes etc. I'm sure we'll see netter pressure than last season, but will the DE's be solid all around? That will take some time too. I'm sure they'll get burned a few times before they get it figured out. What I'm really hoping for is they can all come together and play as an effective unit, on the same page every play and helping each other with positioning, coverages recognizing plays.
As far as the offense, we know it'll take time for them gel. I'm hoping Mitch works toward being a field manager early on with the coaches taking what the defense gives until he can get comfortable and gain some confidence. He's surrounded with solid talent so it should fairly easy to work him in slowly. And of course it will depend mostly on how well the OL plays and how long it takes them to gel (which they have a history of being up and down the past few years). But somehow I have a feeling Spurrier is gonna want to come out slinging the ball all over the field like he did with DT last year, which I think could be a huge mistake.
Either way, I just want to see them win. Plenty to be concerned about though on both sides of the ball.
Less worried! I see most of the D problems DE related, we tried everyone we had even our LB's to no avail, if you've got guys running wild around the end and no QB pressure from the end, it affects every other position on that side of the ball! Nobody can effectively do their job if you don't have decent DE play!

Seriously, how can We have something IF we don't know who our starting qb is? Spurruer hasn't named a starter rt? That's sad unless he's playing more bs games with Mitchs' head.

Less worried! I see most of the D problems DE related, we tried everyone we had even our LB's to no avail, if you've got guys running wild around the end and no QB pressure from the end, it affects every other position on that side of the ball! Nobody can effectively do their job if you don't have decent DE play!

I gotcha, and sounds like we feel about the same on the D.

And all I can say about WR is that if Jr. can't develop a productive group out of Cooper, Samuel and Heard (who I'm pulling for but question why he's listed as a starter) with backups like Googer, Jeffery and Davidson and the rookies we have plus our experienced TE's...maybe he's coaching the wrong position. And I know he isn't going anywhere and I don't know what other position he has/can coach, but if our WR's aren't an asset this season someone else needs to be coaching them. The talent is there. There's no excuse for them not being successful other than coaching.

It must be tiring to go through life always looking for something to complain about. Some posters on here must live alone or with other depressing people. Everyone has a right to his opinion but, if it is always negative, just post "I think" and we will know your opinion is that Carolina is pitiful and we will lose. We know who you are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT