ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier was 1 hire away

umdterpcock

Gold Member
Sep 23, 2003
Steve Spurrier was 1 hire away from having us contend for the SEC on a regular basis, and maybe more. It's probably too late now for him get it done, aside from a miracle season, but if he'd have hired a big time recruiter when we were getting guys like Marcus, Jadaveon, Stephon, DJ, and the other big recruits, his coaching job would have been so much easier.

I know he's got just a year or 2 left but SC could have had a legit shot at a playoff team but those chances seem to have been squandered away.

He's done great things for USC, but 1 hire could have earned him another National Championship as a head coach.

How do you not know his hire of Hoke is just that hire?

I tend to look at life more in a more positive light instead of some of you that seem to go through life with your tail tucked between your legs.

Thank the Lord.

I do not think even Spurrier knows how much longer he will coach. Maybe another season or two like this past season, he mightl hang it up... or maybe one of the QBs he has now or is getting this coming recruiting cycle clicks !! -Who knows!!!- I do not think last season was a good measurement for our program. before we start digging a hole to push our program in, let us see what unfolds this season!

My point is if he had hired a legit big time recruiter (im no expert on who that person is) then we could have capitalized on those big seasons and kept the momentum. They are out there, he never looked for one.

Seems to me that big MO is gone now and Spurrier will fade away into the sunset in a year or 2.

I do not think even Spurrier knows how much longer he will coach. Maybe another season or two like this past season, he mightl hang it up... or maybe one of the QBs he has now or is getting this coming recruiting cycle clicks !! -Who knows!!!- I do not think last season was a good measurement for our program. before we start digging a hole to push our program in, let us see what unfolds this season!
Not looking to dig a hole, just to point out we didn't capitalize on 3 big seasons and Spurrier isn't starting over, he's on his way out.

Where does the program go from here? Average program? Which is good, but I think most Gamecock fans want to be relevant again. Those 3 years were fun. And Clemson isn't going away, so we need to get back to those good years by recruiting at another level.

For three years, Spurrier had everything he needed to win the SEC. Top 20 defenses. Outstanding offensive players. The buck stops with him.

nepotism is what will hurt his legacy here. I don't blame him. He put his trust in bubba and the ball was dropped. He did hurt bubba's best class when he he told the truth that he was leaving in 2-3 years. Either way, jr is lazy as HBC in recruiting...bad combo.

I still love spurrier and all he has done. The benefits will be reaped for years to come. The head coach of USC is a good position to have. The hire will be the watermark for Tanner's AD run.

Reactions: umdterpcock
Just like the end of the Holtz era. Holtz spent more time jetting around the country and staying in Florida then being connected to the football team. Now the HBC is doing the same. Just a matter of time. If he's not into it, he needs to go.

Reactions: IrmeseTiger
64th in the Country in rankings right now--nice!!! Don't worry, we'll fight off PC & Newberry to fill out our class come February.

nepotism is what will hurt his legacy here. I don't blame him. He put his trust in bubba and the ball was dropped. He did hurt bubba's best class when he he told the truth that he was leaving in 2-3 years. Either way, jr is lazy as HBC in recruiting...bad combo.

I still love spurrier and all he has done. The benefits will be reaped for years to come. The head coach of USC is a good position to have. The hire will be the watermark for Tanner's AD run.

"The hire will be the watermark for Tanner's AD run."

I couldn't agree more with this comment ^^^^^^^^

Not so sure Jr is a lazy recruiter, he could be, but he did have a stud class coming in before his Dad stuck his foot in his mouth.

I do know this, Jr isn't the best, or even remotely close to the best recruiter that we could pay for.

Spurrier has had some really good hires, but he blew it with his lack of effort in hiring a big time recruiter.

If Spurrier had it all to do over I would hope he'd have hired the right recruiter, fired John Hunt faster, and not promoted LW to defensive coordinator.

I couldn't agree more. There is room for some optimism with the hire of Jon Hoke. A talented D line, better scheme & secondary. Let's see what this season holds before folks start to hit the panic button.

I still think the 2 to 3 years remark was done to get muschamp and then he changed his mind.
I really think Muschamp wanted this job as HCIW but backed out because the deal was Jr would have to be retained as OC.

I just want everyone to remember that the Intent of Spurrier's comments was not that he was only going to be here for 2-3 more years. If you go back and look at it, he said that for the past four or five years he had been saying four or five more years, so now he would start saying two or three more years. Implying that for the next several years he would continue to say 2-3. Either way, the comments were ill-advised and hurt recruiting. So I'm not trying to defend them as smart. I just think that too many people took it as an announcement that he was gone in 2016 or 17.

Reactions: Tigerof66
Steve Spurrier was 1 hire away from having us contend for the SEC on a regular basis, and maybe more. It's probably too late now for him get it done, aside from a miracle season, but if he'd have hired a big time recruiter when we were getting guys like Marcus, Jadaveon, Stephon, DJ, and the other big recruits, his coaching job would have been so much easier.

I know he's got just a year or 2 left but SC could have had a legit shot at a playoff team but those chances seem to have been squandered away.

He's done great things for USC, but 1 hire could have earned him another National Championship as a head coach.
So, what you are saying is... Had we only had a big time recruiter, we might could have... Landed some talent... Like JD, Marcus, D Swag... You know the PLAYERS WHO WE RECRUITED TO PLAY HERE? The ones who MADE US INTO AN ELEVEN WIN TEAM THREE YEARS IN A ROW? If only we had a big time recruiter... We could have recruited kids like that and HAD seasons like that?

You feeling Ok there chief? You just have a stroke or something?

So, what you are saying is... Had we only had a big time recruiter, we might could have... Landed some talent... Like JD, Marcus, D Swag... You know the PLAYERS WHO WE RECRUITED TO PLAY HERE? The ones who MADE US INTO AN ELEVEN WIN TEAM THREE YEARS IN A ROW? If only we had a big time recruiter... We could have recruited kids like that and HAD seasons like that?

That was a different staff. If you don't recognize that fact, you shouldn't participate in this thread.

I just want everyone to remember that the Intent of Spurrier's comments was not that he was only going to be here for 2-3 more years. If you go back and look at it, he said that for the past four or five years he had been saying four or five more years, so now he would start saying two or three more years. Implying that for the next several years he would continue to say 2-3. Either way, the comments were ill-advised and hurt recruiting. So I'm not trying to defend them as smart. I just think that too many people took it as an announcement that he was gone in 2016 or 17.
It was a galactically stupid thing to say, especially for a 70 year old HOF coach.

Reactions: 67gamecock

He Hired the Hoke Brothers...

Im fine dude.

Not going to participate throwing daggers back and forth with you, that's immature. So if you're looking for a pissing contest look elsewhere.

We can't always rely on SC boys, there aren't enough and Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee and other top programs know this state produces big time talent and get their share as well.

WE DO NEED a big time recruiter than can go into other states and have a chance at picking up some out of state studs.

You also forget Ellis Johnson is the reason those Rock Hill guys came here and he's gone.

Yes he did.

I didn't make anything up. Never said it was fact, just something I felt was a factor. I don't know, Muschamp may have never considered SC, but you don't know anymore than I do. This board is for discussion, if you don't want to read it don't open it.

If you can't start crap are you happy?

Mods here really don't mind you guys stirring the pot, so I guess have at it.

Do you (or anyone) find it strange that the point of your post is SOS should have hired a big time recruiter while we were signing big time recruits? I guess we were missing that "big time" recruiter when we signed those guys.
This board becomes more strange on a daily basis.

Well when Spurrier offered me 500,000 to be the "get back" coach. I didn't think that was enough so I said no.

Every other coach recruiting against SC, plus the recruits they flipped, doesn't agree with your perception of HBC's comment.

Every other coach recruiting against SC, plus the recruits they flipped, doesn't agree with your perception of HBC's comment.
It's not my perception. It's what he said. But the fact that it was ambiguous and hard to interpret is EXACTLY why he never should have said it.

Gamecock Lifer, thanks. So far your comments are the only ones that made this thread readable. The bilge pumpers on the other hand...geeeeze. They need to find a nice, high window, not the one over their garage, and jump.

You do realize all this guys are local... A big time recruiter wouldn't have helped if the in-state talent isn't as good as it was during the unbelievable 11 win no sec championship run you wax poetically about

I don't think Muschamp was ever coming here. It got blown out of proportion by a message board. (Not this site)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT