ADVERTISEMENT

The blatently obvious reasons we will be good this year....

Aug 17, 2004
Eugene, OR
And first off, we haven't been bad in many many moons so stop the whining.

I have taken a lot of time off from this site. My absence from here has seen me and my family move from Kansas to Oregon while simultaneously filming a reality television show. It's been a real experience for sure. I haven't been able to commit much time to Gamecock fanaticism due to the urgency of rebuilding my career, but I suffered through last season just like everyone else. My Gamecocks didn't have much success, and neither did my attempt at stardom. So what.

The glaring issues we had last year were exaggerated by our ill-advised switch to a new defensive scheme. Clowney was a once in a decade player, and Quarles proved to be almost equally as damaging, but facing those losses did not warrant a change of scheme that not one soul on our returning roster was familiar with. I knew that, you knew that, and now Lorenzo knows that. That defense could not hold against any opponent and gave up huge plays over and over. That being said, I absolutely believe this unit will bounce back with a little added fire from the bad taste of last year, but also with added focus with a new coach who is 100% proven. It is not cliche to draw attention to the late game leads we blew. It is simply FACT, and inexcusable. It accounted for a 7-6 record that should have been an easy 9 win season. You can't argue it. It is the very reason why people are shocked when a team loses a 14 point lead with less than 5 minutes left! It just doesn't happen often.

We also had a difficult time replacing Shaw. His ability to convert 3rd downs through his scrambling was invaluable. Thompson did not have that intangible, and due to this inability, he never controlled the clock or the trenches. He racked up passing yards, but our greatest success has come from ball control. I believe Mitch will provide this intangible once again. Nunez and Cooper can also provide it. I think we are in better hands now with an unproven QB than we were last year with an equally unproven pass only QB. I love what Thompson did here as a Gamecock, but we need the dual threat back, period. When you combine that defense with that lack of offensive ball control, you will not win many ballgames.

If you think this team is depleted of talent, you are simply denying the recruiting that has taken place here over the past 5 years. Go back and look at the 11 four stars from last year, then take a moment to look at the contributing three stars from the past, then take a quick gander at who we are battling for those players, and you might want to tip your hat to this staff. We are consistently in the top 20 nationally in recruiting. Stop whining about the two star guy. That's picking fly crap out of pepper, looking for an excuse to show your ignorance. We have never, and I MEAN NEVER, seen this kind of consistent talent here at USC!

We foolishly took young talent recruited for one defensive scheme, and tossed them into a failed one, yet when all was said and done, they survived the firing squad. They are men now. Our offense posed only two threats instead of three due to Thompson's lack of mobility. It's just statistics really. If I had 33% fewer things to worry about, I would probably be more successful too.

Enjoy your bone A&M, Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee, Missouri and clempsun, because this team will not be the same one you beat last year. Before last year, we were 42-11 this decade! We won 80% of our games folks! And we are in the SEC. In my over forty years of being a Gamecock Fan, I have never witnessed such. We have the same coach. The same one who folks said would leave for Florida, Bama, Tennessee and Arkansas. The same coach that brought you here to the point where you could bitch about one bad season out of many good ones. The same one who recognized the problems from last year and has made drastic moves to correct them. You think you can match wits with him? Be my guest.

The talent is here, the fan base is here, the facilities are here, the coaching staff is here, and you better make damn sure you recognize that THE TALENT IS HERE!

Strap'em on Gamecocks, this year will be a good ride! GO COCKS!

The offense has stayed good. Though the defensive scheme changing was an issue, the biggest reason our defense is fell apart mainly our coaches didn't get the job done in recruiting. First we didn't recruit LB until it was too late and we had to start freshman an sophomores. Than we didn't recruit CBs and DEs until it was too late and the DE we did sign didn't even qualify. So we had freshman making up our secondary and Junior and Senior DE's that weren't SEC starting caliber starting for us along with our LBs who were still just sophomores. These were major recruiting blunders that we can't have repeated. Then there is just the lack of development under Ward and Adams.

Hopefully we will be improved we have talent at LB and spur and they are Juniors now. We are still young in the secondary but at least we more experience and hopefully more talent on the D line.

The biggest problem is that you can expect just about every other SEC team we play to be better than last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21lattimore
True, and everyone has a down year. Auburn, Ga, LSU, UT, etc. We are not where we used to be where a down season was undeniable proof we would struggle for a while. Not even close.

You bring up linebackers, yet that was a strength last year. We've lost several dbs to early departure. That's actually good recruiting.

True, and everyone has a down year. Auburn, Ga, LSU, UT, etc. We are not where we used to be where a down season was undeniable proof we would struggle for a while. Not even close.

You bring up linebackers, yet that was a strength last year. We've lost several dbs to early departure. That's actually good recruiting.

Lbs will be a definite strength for us this year. Moore, Walton, and BAW will be our three backers. I REPEAT! We will have three TRUE backers on the field this year.

They will be backing up a hugely upgraded D-line which, for the first time in three years will have some depth. All that in front of a secondary with three experienced SEC LEVEL players and an all conference level safety from a league that only seems to know how to throw the ball, coached by a former long term NFL secondary coach (I remember the DBS in Chicago being good for a really long time before last year).

That to say if bet my house that our D will be drastically better. My only question is O-line play, and who will be throwing to KINGTUTchdown enroute to his 20 Rec td- season he has coming up. ;)
In Christ-
B.

Side note: carolinacrazy, might I ask your name/ what the show is? I'd love to support a fellow Gamecock.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21lattimore
What do you think about the change of defensive scheme?

Risking It All on TLC
It ran last summer and re-aired this summer under a new name of American Family vs Wild (for some reason Hollywood seems to get dumber with their names).
I'm the first to admit that the show was pretty stupid, but hey, I like new adventures. Thanks for asking.

Reactions: Gamecockalypse325
Everyone has them.
Do you really think UT and Missouri are better and more talented than us? Georgia? Heck, the prognosticators say Georgia is more talented every year, but we still beat them quite often.
To attempt to trash this staff with unsubstantiated criticisms regarding bad recruiting and development is simply silly. You weren't complaiing the previous year, and one bad year does not represent a pattern of bad recruiting and development.

Reactions: debordieu cock
And first off, we haven't been bad in many many moons so stop the whining.

I have taken a lot of time off from this site. My absence from here has seen me and my family move from Kansas to Oregon while simultaneously filming a reality television show. It's been a real experience for sure. I haven't been able to commit much time to Gamecock fanaticism due to the urgency of rebuilding my career, but I suffered through last season just like everyone else. My Gamecocks didn't have much success, and neither did my attempt at stardom. So what.

The glaring issues we had last year were exaggerated by our ill-advised switch to a new defensive scheme. Clowney was a once in a decade player, and Quarles proved to be almost equally as damaging, but facing those losses did not warrant a change of scheme that not one soul on our returning roster was familiar with. I knew that, you knew that, and now Lorenzo knows that. That defense could not hold against any opponent and gave up huge plays over and over. That being said, I absolutely believe this unit will bounce back with a little added fire from the bad taste of last year, but also with added focus with a new coach who is 100% proven. It is not cliche to draw attention to the late game leads we blew. It is simply FACT, and inexcusable. It accounted for a 7-6 record that should have been an easy 9 win season. You can't argue it. It is the very reason why people are shocked when a team loses a 14 point lead with less than 5 minutes left! It just doesn't happen often.

We also had a difficult time replacing Shaw. His ability to convert 3rd downs through his scrambling was invaluable. Thompson did not have that intangible, and due to this inability, he never controlled the clock or the trenches. He racked up passing yards, but our greatest success has come from ball control. I believe Mitch will provide this intangible once again. Nunez and Cooper can also provide it. I think we are in better hands now with an unproven QB than we were last year with an equally unproven pass only QB. I love what Thompson did here as a Gamecock, but we need the dual threat back, period. When you combine that defense with that lack of offensive ball control, you will not win many ballgames.

If you think this team is depleted of talent, you are simply denying the recruiting that has taken place here over the past 5 years. Go back and look at the 11 four stars from last year, then take a moment to look at the contributing three stars from the past, then take a quick gander at who we are battling for those players, and you might want to tip your hat to this staff. We are consistently in the top 20 nationally in recruiting. Stop whining about the two star guy. That's picking fly crap out of pepper, looking for an excuse to show your ignorance. We have never, and I MEAN NEVER, seen this kind of consistent talent here at USC!

We foolishly took young talent recruited for one defensive scheme, and tossed them into a failed one, yet when all was said and done, they survived the firing squad. They are men now. Our offense posed only two threats instead of three due to Thompson's lack of mobility. It's just statistics really. If I had 33% fewer things to worry about, I would probably be more successful too.

Enjoy your bone A&M, Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee, Missouri and clempsun, because this team will not be the same one you beat last year. Before last year, we were 42-11 this decade! We won 80% of our games folks! And we are in the SEC. In my over forty years of being a Gamecock Fan, I have never witnessed such. We have the same coach. The same one who folks said would leave for Florida, Bama, Tennessee and Arkansas. The same coach that brought you here to the point where you could bitch about one bad season out of many good ones. The same one who recognized the problems from last year and has made drastic moves to correct them. You think you can match wits with him? Be my guest.

The talent is here, the fan base is here, the facilities are here, the coaching staff is here, and you better make damn sure you recognize that THE TALENT IS HERE!

Strap'em on Gamecocks, this year will be a good ride! GO COCKS!
A+ post

The biggest reason for me that we'll be better this year is that Ward isn't in charge of the defense anymore.

Ward was good with outstanding players, but Dabo could have coached the defenses that we had 2-3 years ago and got the same results.

Do you really think UT and Missouri are better and more talented than us? Georgia? Heck, the prognosticators say Georgia is more talented every year, but we still beat them quite often.
To attempt to trash this staff with unsubstantiated criticisms regarding bad recruiting and development is simply silly. You weren't complaiing the previous year, and one bad year does not represent a pattern of bad recruiting and development.

I agree. If we could have just tackle in space last year, we would have won 3 more games. I know the Florida game should have been a loss. The fact is as bad(young) as our defense was last year, we still could have been 9-4. That's our worst defense ever, and they got valuable experience last year. Spurrier has yet to field a good offense and defense at the same time. We either have one or the other. Hopefully, it will all come together one day.

Great post TCC!

I have been negative about this upcoming season since December, but Coach's mini-presser last week has made me feel better and I'm now thinking we might have a shot at being good. Most every team in the East has at least one big question mark going into this season.....heck, most think Georgia will win the East but they have a new qb and a new OC.

I'm probably getting sucked into some hype now, but if our qb is "good enough" and our defense is significantly improved ("significantly" meaning "not horrible"), there is not a team we can't beat on the schedule.

Lbs will be a definite strength for us this year. Moore, Walton, and BAW will be our three backers. I REPEAT! We will have three TRUE backers on the field this year.

I've been out of the loop.....are we running a 3 lb set on defense?

Edit: Nevermind, just read up on Hoke's defensive scheme....a basic 4-3 cover two. Supposed to simplify things.

Last edited:

It was hard to tell how good one unit was last year because our defense was such garbage as a whole. The defense played decently in few games. Miami game was probably their best. The Missouri game, Mauk helped us out a lot by being way to conservative until the very end throwing ball after ball away because he kept thinking he was going to be sacked when he wasn't. Florida's offense and special teams were both as bad as our defense in that game. You have to recruit to anticipate early departures. You have to still have some juniors and sophomores that been in the system that can get the job done at each position. If you are thinking you are going to be okay because you just recruited a bunch of freshman and new JUCO that will immediately come in an fill the holes you let open over the years than you are in for a rude awakening.

They will be backing up a hugely upgraded D-line which, for the first time in three years will have some depth. All that in front of a secondary with three experienced SEC LEVEL players and an all conference level safety from a league that only seems to know how to throw the ball, coached by a former long term NFL secondary coach (I remember the DBS in Chicago being good for a really long time before last year).

That to say if bet my house that our D will be drastically better. My only question is O-line play, and who will be throwing to KINGTUTchdown enroute to his 20 Rec td- season he has coming up. ;)
In Christ-
B.

Side note: carolinacrazy, might I ask your name/ what the show is? I'd love to support a fellow Gamecock.
Our secondary has some experience under it's belt now, but that doesn't mean they won't still be bad.

No, it doesn't.... But being coached by a secondary coach who is coming straight in from coaching a group of pros gives a little indication that they will be.
Chicago's defense was horrible last year. Maybe the worst in the league. Also, there is big difference coaching seasoned athletes that guys a couple years removed from high school.

You have a bad memory, or just weren't paying attention on the messageboards. A lot of people were complaining about this. They didn't like all the freshman LBs and the Secondary. They didn't like they couldn't get better development from the likes of English and Harris. But they kept listening to BS from coaches saying that they liked the defense. They said it they thought it would be better than last year. Then Texas A&M game happened and exposed their incompetence. They were talking out of their rear ends, and I would say they are talking out of their rear ends this year too except for the fact that the defense was so bad last year it seems like it HAS to be at least a little better just by chance. This is Spurrier's cockiness. He brushes aside major mistakes as if they are not a big deal when they absolutely are. Spurrier has created a culture of comfort an complacency here. I hope he stays pissed off, because he might need that to change this culture.

Due to early departures and scheme, period.
I know, Spurrier should issue you an apology, personally, and then dwell on last year like you. Now that's the kind of coach we need. Keep sniffing the turd my friend.
Wow, what an excuse-maker you are. Spurrier was hired here to win championships and achieve excellence. To do that you have to DEMAND excellence constantly. All the time every single friggin year. You don't make excuses for problems you can plan ahead for. That everyone plans ahead for like players leaving early. If that is the weak attitude our fans are going to have we might as well have had just hired Brad Scott back instead of Steve Spurrier after Holtz. Demand excellence and don't make excuses. I thought this was common knowledge that is this mindset of a winner. I guess some of our fans just can't wrap their minds around that.

Wow, what an excuse-maker you are. Spurrier was hired here to win championships and achieve excellence. To do that you have to DEMAND excellence constantly. All the time every single friggin year. You don't make excuses for problems you can plan ahead for. That everyone plans ahead for like players leaving early
Name a team who has displayed "excellence" for 5 straight years without one letdown. And it's impossible to be completely prepared for and protected from departures like Clowney, Ellington and Quarles, expected or not.

To your "young" comment; I can't help but think of Gilmore, Munnerlyn, Culliver etc.

You just don't make logical points. You aren't being excellent. Should you apologize to us?

Chicago's defense was horrible last year. Maybe the worst in the league. Also, there is big difference coaching seasoned athletes that guys a couple years removed from high school.
That's the problem with some of the posters on here, you want to look at a ONE YEAR anomaly and turn it into the sky falling. Eg: "the gamecocks had a mediocre year last year, must be because spurriers lost it" "The bears d was bad last year. Must be because of the secondary coach not being able to coach..."
It takes a lot more faith for you to believe those kind of things than it does for me to believe those things are outliers. Simple anomalies that won't repeat consecutively.

To your "young" comment; I can't help but think of Gilmore, Munnerlyn, Culliver etc.

You just don't make logical points. You aren't being excellent. Should you apologize to us?\

TCC you must consider the source, enough said.

Reactions: BOBO4

Pittsburgh had a terrible D as well...they even got rid of their D coordinator. Some guy name LeBeau... Must be a crappy coach.

Refreshing post.
Last year the guys at work were talking about the easy win we would have with A&M. I quickly pointed to the defensive line being new and undersized, combined with an inexperienced secondary. Unfortunately that played out. I think the defense vastly improves this year.
Offensive line is my concern. Lack of production from that unit last year was hard to explain. If they stay healthy this year, maybe we have a chance. Just not sold on this unit. Multiple games last year if they are able to establish the LOS we win in spite of the defense. Hope this years unit has an edge.

There is absolutely no comparison to the pro game or to pro players. They are motivated totally different than college players.

You just don't make logical points. You aren't being excellent. Should you apologize to us?\

TCC you must consider the source, enough said.
It would make perfect logical sense to you if your brain was strong enough to comprehend that there is a gigantic difference in when young players start because they are just that talented versus freshmen being forced to start before they are ready because the well has run complete dry at the position except for one or two complete scrubs that are not long for the roster as it has the last few years at certain positions. Your post is so bad it makes me think some freshman needs to come in and replace you just so they can get some experience, because you have no future in posting. You need to transfer to the Samford football forum before you realize you should hang up your posting career.

It would make perfect logical sense to you if your brain was strong enough to comprehend that there is a gigantic difference in when young players start because they are just that talented versus freshmen being forced to start before they are ready because the well has run complete dry at the position except for one or two complete scrubs that are not long for the roster as it has the last few years at certain positions.
A comma or a period for your thoughts?

Reactions: Anna Mule
Crazy, good post. Only would add that Dylan was a very capable replacement for Shaw, who was IMO the best QB we ever had. Dylan would have won at least 3 more games with a decent D and if Spurrier had chewed clock in those 4th qtr. losses. Don't know what got into SOS' head at the end of some of those games, but hey, no one is perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT