ADVERTISEMENT

This recruiting year

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
is long from over. Aside from the Spurrier 2-3 more years statement, we don't seem to have such a strong in state group this year although new stars may emerge this season because just one year can mean so much to a high school player. Our collapses last year and inconsistent play which led to a bad year for us has done as much to hurt us as anything but can easily be turned around if we play good ball this season. Every team we play also have untested issues on their teams as we do. We should not despair yet. At the end of the day I think we will have another solid recruiting year. Our program has been built in the Spurrier era on solid classes but not top 10 classes except for one year.

is long from over. Aside from the Spurrier 2-3 more years statement, we don't seem to have such a strong in state group this year although new stars may emerge this season because just one year can mean so much to a high school player. Our collapses last year and inconsistent play which led to a bad year for us has done as much to hurt us as anything but can easily be turned around if we play good ball this season. Every team we play also have untested issues on their teams as we do. We should not despair yet. At the end of the day I think we will have another solid recruiting year. Our program has been built in the Spurrier era on solid classes but not top 10 classes except for one year.
Take a good group of 4 and 3 stars and coach them up....That's what we did in the past.

No! We had 4 and 5 star players and we got 11-2 seasons
This is the reality of the situation. We won with Garcia, Shaw, Jeffery, Ingram, Taylor, Clowney, Lattimore, Swearinger, Davis............. We won 11 games with the best individual players we've ever had on 1 team. By our standards, we were absolutely stacked!! We are not stacked with that kind of talent anymore.

t_beating_a_dead_horse_679.jpg

Agree, but you brought the dead horse beaters with you.

We had 2 5 star players that I know of ever...Clowney and Culliver....I don't know of any others.
They easily made it to the NFL. Not so easy for our players in the 2015 draft. Just underlines the fact that we win more games during a season, when we have 5 star players.

It's not going to get any better guys. There just isn't a spark here right now. 11 years and recruits can look at what's been going on. You can't sell some grand plan because they can see the body of work and know about what to expect. It's no big surprise we lost the kid to Michigan. Harbaugh comes in and there's a buzz. They can sell this huge plan of success whether its attainable or not. It's easy to get sold on that when you're 18. SOS is great! Whether he recruits hard or not isnt known for sure. But it's a fact that he will progressively be at more and more of a disadvantage the longer he goes. And to get back to having great years we need great players. Three star running backs may be the best we can get. But don't expect them to take over games or win the division.

Reactions: conCOCKshon
Can y'all please stop putting down 17year olds.That want to come to USC.
No one knows how good these players are going to be, but nothing excuses ignoring recruits after you offer them. I don't care if it's the guy that makes coffee that would be better than no one calling and following up.

just how reliable are the sources that report we ignore recruits. Maybe if we cool off of the recruit or realize we have no shot but I will never believe otherwise. The implication being our coaches are too lazy to contact a prized recruit?

just how reliable are the sources that report we ignore recruits. Maybe if we cool off of the recruit or realize we have no shot but I will never believe otherwise. The implication being our coaches are too lazy to contact a prized recruit?

Not only that but we're talking about a 4 star player from the state of Mississippi, a state as small or smaller than SC and produces about the same talent. What is our history of pulling 4 or 5 star players from there? When their state produces 4 and 5 stars I'd say at least 50% of them go to instate Ole Miss or MSU, 45% of them go to neighboring states to LSU, Bama, Auburn or UT, and maybe 5% leave for big name schools that recruit nationwide that may offer such as SoCal, Texas, OSU, etc.
Sorry, but we just are not included in that list.
Not trying to defend what happened, just adding a different perspective. Maybe Adams offered (even though it seems he was trying to get the kids trainer to do all his work for him, and not contacting the kid is inexcusable...for many reasons but one for the bad pub) before a lot of these other schools did and our other recruiters knew our chances were slim. Who knows (let's be honest, certainly no one on this board). But I'm not at all surprised that we are not still pursuing him...and I'm sure our staff has a list of players at his position that our top priorities.

Reactions: Beaverdam Tiger
Before last year's bad season, Spurrier was saying that kids now want to come and play for us. Just goes to show what winning does for a program.

Before last year's bad season, Spurrier was saying that kids now want to come and play for us. Just goes to show what winning does for a program.

And that's why the Tillmanites want to see us continue with seasons like last season. They see the state-of-the-art improvements USC has built or are building like the old Farmer's Market tailgating, the new indoor practice facility that is way cooler than the metal building they threw and called an indoor facility, and all the improvements to WB and they know Spurrier will keep using these to sell USC as a cool place to go play, which was one of his goals when he came here not just for his time, but for the future also. They see this, and they know he is succeeding...and that's just another reason they want him gone.
Too bad for them, it's not gonna stop because SOS decides to leave. Tanner knows how important the arms race is and he knows what it takes to win championships as he has shown. So let the taters hope and wish all they want...things will never be the way they were for so long...ever!

You mean when we completely depend on having a good season to recruit for our coaches?

I don't know. But all I know is that I have heard a lot of similar complaints from recruits about our coaching staff over the last few years and never hear recruits complaining about this same stuff from Clemson, Georgia, and Tennessee.

Reactions: conwayscock
I don't know. But all I know is that I have heard a lot of similar complaints from recruits about our coaching staff over the last few years and never hear recruits complaining about this same stuff from Clemson, Georgia, and Tennessee.

Just how many recruits have you actually directly spoken with? That's what I thought.

No! We had 4 and 5 star players and we got 11-2 seasons

Other than Lattimore and Clowney, who are all these 5 stars we had?
According to Rivals, we've signed 19 4 star players in the last 2 years.

I don't directly speak to recruits because I have been told not to, that it's not my job, that being alumn it could cause penalties to USC. The better question is how many recruits have our coaches actually directly spoken to? Who knows?

Reactions: conwayscock
Other than Lattimore and Clowney, who are all these 5 stars we had?
According to Rivals, we've signed 19 4 star players in the last 2 years.
Culliver and Holloman and Gilmore 5 stars by some recruiting sights. No on is talking specifically about rivals.

Culliver and Holloman and Gilmore 5 stars by some recruiting sights. No on is talking specifically about rivals.

If you're cherry picking recruiting services, just to make a point, then Scout had Marquavius Lewis ranked as a 5 star.

I don't directly speak to recruits because I have been told not to, that it's not my job, that being alumn it could cause penalties to USC. The better question is how many recruits have our coaches actually directly spoken to? Who knows?

Certainly not the fans, but some sure do act like they do.

I have said before...a 5 star high school recruit is not a 5 star college player when he steps on the field the first time. He too has to be coached up. He is usually not better than a 3 star with game experience at that time. I would think a 4star could be coached up to a 5 star college player as easily as a 5 star player. If you are signing more 4 stars than 3 stars you are good to go. The additional 5 star is nice but you can win big with a roster of mostly 4 stars which is the direction we have been in for several years.

Ok, maybe our days for bringing in 4 and 5 star players is over but one only needs to look at Arkansas or Missouri to see how really good teams are built on 2 and 3 star recruits. Too much emphasis is placed on stars.

Per Rivals, our recruiting rankings by year since 2009 are as follows:

2009 - 12
2010 - 24
2011 - 18
2012 - 19
2013 - 16
2014 - 16
2015 - 19

The reality is that our recruiting has basically been the same on an overall basis for the past seven years. Yes we should have been able to recruit better. Yes we could have easily had a top 10 class last year without the 2-3 year comment or defensive meltdown (both hurt us). However despite all this I believe we are in a good position for success not only this year but especially in 2016. The issue right now is our 2016 class is lacking. If that doesn't turn around then we could have problems in 2017 and later. However I agree with Manafold that if we can show some improvement this fall and get back in the mix for the SEC East (not necessarily win it), then our recruiting class will come around.

With all the negatives about our state, we need to glad about any success we have had. The great Spurrier would have won us a national title, but too many things going against us that he had to fight. We better remember those 11 win seasons and be happy. SC needs to wake up. And we always wonder why the networks seem to be against us, the announcers always seem to be against us, the refs always seem to be against us, we lose games like something supernatural is against us, I know why. Just sayin

With all the negatives about our state, we need to glad about any success we have had. The great Spurrier would have won us a national title, but too many things going against us that he had to fight. We better remember those 11 win seasons and be happy. SC needs to wake up. And we always wonder why the networks seem to be against us, the announcers always seem to be against us, the refs always seem to be against us, we lose games like something supernatural is against us, I know why. Just sayin

why aint the negatives about the state hurting pitchfork tillman university

Reactions: conCOCKshon
why aint the negatives about the state hurting pitchfork tillman university

also, taking down a flag is not going to get rid of racism in south Carolina. they are racist on both sides here in this state

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT