ADVERTISEMENT

This recruiting year

We are getting guys right now that would ride the pine at other schools. I hate to say it but our football program is on hold until a change is made.
We need to change some posters too. Yeah you're right the other schools recruiting our recruits were just looking for pine riders to take a scolly....Please.

We need a few 4 and 5 star gamechangers. Like Lattimore, Clowney and Jeffery. A few players like that, can make a 15th ranked class full of 3 stars, look and perform much better. We don't need a top 5 recruiting class, just a couple top 50 players.

We need a few 4 and 5 star gamechangers. Like Lattimore, Clowney and Jeffery. A few players like that, can make a 15th ranked class full of 3 stars, look and perform much better. We don't need a top 5 recruiting class, just a couple top 50 players.

This^

I believe this is the type comment that the downers have an issue with. Hawkins, a 4* WR we wanted badly, chose Michigan over us today.

"Hawkins said Thursday one of the positives for him with Michigan was his relationship with new head coach Jim Harbaugh. Hawkins said he had talked on multiple occasions with Harbaugh while his only conversation with USC coach Steve Spurrier took place at the camp."

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20150703/PSPORTS02/150709920/-1/PSPORTS

I believe this is the type comment that the downers have an issue with. Hawkins, a 4* WR we wanted badly, chose Michigan over us today.

"Hawkins said Thursday one of the positives for him with Michigan was his relationship with new head coach Jim Harbaugh. Hawkins said he had talked on multiple occasions with Harbaugh while his only conversation with USC coach Steve Spurrier took place at the camp."

Exactly! Spurrier gets paid a lot of money to be a part time coach, but he gets away with it. To many on here Spurrier can do no wrong. We aren't demanding like other schools. I swear i think a lot of our fans enjoy mediocrity!

Reactions: conCOCKshon
Exactly! Spurrier gets paid a lot of money to be a part time coach, but he gets away with it. To many on here Spurrier can do no wrong. We aren't demanding like other schools. I swear i think a lot of our fans enjoy mediocrity!

that's because on our board if you suggest we need to do better in recruiting our own fans attack you by calling you a tater. sometimes I believe the sunshine post are taters wanting us to fail

A kid from New Jersey picks UM over us and some want to wig out over it?

It would take a little more than that for me to join this pity party.

It's 7/4/15.

Not only that but we're talking about a 4 star player from the state of Mississippi, a state as small or smaller than SC and produces about the same talent. What is our history of pulling 4 or 5 star players from there? When their state produces 4 and 5 stars I'd say at least 50% of them go to instate Ole Miss or MSU, 45% of them go to neighboring states to LSU, Bama, Auburn or UT, and maybe 5% leave for big name schools that recruit nationwide that may offer such as SoCal, Texas, OSU, etc.
Sorry, but we just are not included in that list.
Not trying to defend what happened, just adding a different perspective. Maybe Adams offered (even though it seems he was trying to get the kids trainer to do all his work for him, and not contacting the kid is inexcusable...for many reasons but one for the bad pub) before a lot of these other schools did and our other recruiters knew our chances were slim. Who knows (let's be honest, certainly no one on this board). But I'm not at all surprised that we are not still pursuing him...and I'm sure our staff has a list of players at his position that our top priorities.
If there is something that MUST be done to achieve the recruiting goals, it doesn't help to make excuses to not try something different to make up the problems you are facing such as a bad crop of instate talent, a bad year on the field, things said by the coaches that recruits don't like hearing, etc... You have to adapt or you WILL die. To me it sounds like we have to many people that are okay with that death to the program if it were to come.

A kid from New Jersey picks UM over us and some want to wig out over it?

It would take a little more than that for me to join this pity party.

It's 7/4/15.

I think people are upset over it because our coach couldn't be bothered to pick up the phone to call a recruit we wanted, where other head coaches made time. It isn't the fact we didn't get the recruit, it's the fact we made a half effort.

If there is something that MUST be done to achieve the recruiting goals, it doesn't help to make excuses to not try something different to make up the problems you are facing such as a bad crop of instate talent, a bad year on the field, things said by the coaches that recruits don't like hearing, etc... You have to adapt or you WILL die. To me it sounds like we have to many people that are okay with that death to the program if it were to come.

Isn't that a tad hyperbolic? Especially since the only source you have is one reporter.

I still find it funny when people put so much stock in something a 17-18 y/o kid says when they commit to a school with no true or factual knowledge of how our staff has dealt with him other than what he says publicly or some recruiting reporter or "analyst" writes...who has no true or factual knowledge either. You can't seem to realize that you're only getting one side of the story because coaches can't, and won't if they could, openly discuss recruits. I'm not denying that are staff has made mistakes the past few years, or that we do keep hearing a recurring theme from some players that commit to other schools that make statements that they "haven't heard much from USC".
But is that really a sign that our staff is lazy, or just don't like to recruit? Isn't there a possibility that the players has communicated to the staff that they are not in their top 3-5? Or that he would rather play closer to home, etc.? And isn't it a possibility that our staff has 1 or more players at that position that they hold higher on their priority list? Or that they get a vibe early on that the kid isn't seriously considering USC?
The fact is no one knows except for the staff and the recruit...maybe his hs coaches, who certainly don't know our staffs every intention...and no one else will ever know.
Yet some people will take these one sided statements and slam our staff for them when they can't respond. That's very disingenuous, disrespectful and simply immature imho which is why I stopped religiously following recruiting on a daily basis. Even though we've missed on some recruits in the recent past and had a lot of de-commits last year I don't see any reason to predict doom and gloom this early in the process this cycle. We've landed top 25 classes and higher every year since Spurrier has been here and I don't believe we will fall short of that. And I know that recruiting has to get better for the program to continue it's recent success but I also believe the entire staff knows this and is working to correct it. And I will wait until Feb 2016 to judge the class and the staff's efforts rather than claim the sky is falling every time a recruit on their list commits elsewhere.
Just my $.02...hope you and everyone else has a happy 4th.

Isn't that a tad hyperbolic? Especially since the only source you have is one reporter.

I still find it funny when people put so much stock in something a 17-18 y/o kid says when they commit to a school with no true or factual knowledge of how our staff has dealt with him other than what he says publicly or some recruiting reporter or "analyst" writes...who has no true or factual knowledge either. You can't seem to realize that you're only getting one side of the story because coaches can't, and won't if they could, openly discuss recruits. I'm not denying that are staff has made mistakes the past few years, or that we do keep hearing a recurring theme from some players that commit to other schools that make statements that they "haven't heard much from USC".
But is that really a sign that our staff is lazy, or just don't like to recruit? Isn't there a possibility that the players has communicated to the staff that they are not in their top 3-5? Or that he would rather play closer to home, etc.? And isn't it a possibility that our staff has 1 or more players at that position that they hold higher on their priority list? Or that they get a vibe early on that the kid isn't seriously considering USC?
The fact is no one knows except for the staff and the recruit...maybe his hs coaches, who certainly don't know our staffs every intention...and no one else will ever know.
Yet some people will take these one sided statements and slam our staff for them when they can't respond. That's very disingenuous, disrespectful and simply immature imho which is why I stopped religiously following recruiting on a daily basis. Even though we've missed on some recruits in the recent past and had a lot of de-commits last year I don't see any reason to predict doom and gloom this early in the process this cycle. We've landed top 25 classes and higher every year since Spurrier has been here and I don't believe we will fall short of that. And I know that recruiting has to get better for the program to continue it's recent success but I also believe the entire staff knows this and is working to correct it. And I will wait until Feb 2016 to judge the class and the staff's efforts rather than claim the sky is falling every time a recruit on their list commits elsewhere.
Just my $.02...hope you and everyone else has a happy 4th.
Our staff does not understand the ABCs of being a salesman: Always Be Closing. We may need to get Alec Baldwin in and set them straight. Top 25 class isn't saying much in the SEC. I don't care what "the other side of the story" is which is just another word for excuse. Just get the results. If these guys want to be with their families a play golf. Then they need to quit and go be with their families and play golf or start closing.

Reactions: lostcock
In one week, we hear one recruit state that he didn't even know we had offered him, and another say he only talked to our head coach once at camp while he has talked to the other head coach in his final two multiple times. What is one to draw from that other than we aren't doing a very good job? I don't need to know our side of the story on these. I don't hear these statements regarding other schools, certainly none that are big time programs.

Perception is reality. Maybe our coaches aren't familiar with this axiom.

Some are concerned that we are paying Ward way too much for their expectations. What I wonder about is why we pay our coaches at all when it is clear that we have better game, practice, personnel placement and recruiting coaches right here on this forum. Not are they only better at those tasks but are blessed with clairvoyant ESP talents that allow them to know what our hired sport staff is doing and thinking at all times.

I'm just a Gamecock fan going back to 1946 that never developed such intimate knowledge or talents as some of you. How I made it through all those years while remaining a supporter of the Gamecocks is a mystery.

Some are concerned that we are paying Ward way too much for their expectations. What I wonder about is why we pay our coaches at all when it is clear that we have better game, practice, personnel placement and recruiting coaches right here on this forum. Not are they only better at those tasks but are blessed with clairvoyant ESP talents that allow them to know what our hired sport staff is doing and thinking at all times.

I hate that rationalization. Chances are you probably aren't a professional chef, but I bet you can tell when someone burns your food, can't you? Or should you not be able point out the obvious because you didn't go to a culinary school or get paid to cook meals? Just trust the chefs, right? See how ridiculous that is?

I don't think you have to be a recruiting expert to know that recruits you want should hear from the head coach when the recruit is hearing from the other head coaches, or that a recruit should be aware we offered him after we offered him. But maybe I am just expecting too much from our staff.

I hate that rationalization. Chances are you probably aren't a professional chef, but I bet you can tell when someone burns your food, can't you? Or should you not be able point out the obvious because you didn't go to a culinary school or get paid to cook meals? Just trust the chefs, right? See how ridiculous that is?

I don't think you have to be a recruiting expert to know that recruits you want should hear from the head coach when the recruit is hearing from the other head coaches, or that a recruit should be aware we offered him after we offered him. But maybe I am just expecting too much from our staff.

The issue is that you claim to know everything that goes on in the recruitment of prospects.

Either prove that you do have that knowledge or just shut up. Quit making up stuff you can attack in a self righteous huff. Do you have spurrier's telephone records or are you just listening to only reports that substantiate your personal fears and opinions?

I didn't claim to know everything, but here are links for the two things I have brought up. If you are ok with recruits not even knowing they have an offer, or our head coach not even calling a recruit when other head coaches are calling him...well, I guess you will be happy no matter what we do.

http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2...-had-usc-offer/comment-page-1/#comment-155013

Since you obviously think I am wrong, I will wait on your proof to refute these two stories.

Our staff does not understand the ABCs of being a salesman: Always Be Closing. We may need to get Alec Baldwin in and set them straight. Top 25 class isn't saying much in the SEC. I don't care what "the other side of the story" is which is just another word for excuse. Just get the results. If these guys want to be with their families a play golf. Then they need to quit and go be with their families and play golf or start closing.

I can see my post must have been too long for you to read...because you obviously didn't.

"Just get the results."

And when will we know if they get results? Think about it.
In short, you don't know what's going on and the staff just might end up with a great class. We were close to having a top 5 class last year until "the comment"...well, and having a shytey seasons. But if they were that close last year, and understanding that the staff knows where it all went wrong, then you have to believe they are working to change the perceptions other schools are using against us and trying their best to correct it. And no, you can't base their efforts off of the words of a few recruits...and I you do you just don't have much common sense.

But do as you wish. I chose to wait and see the results.

I didn't claim to know everything, but here are links for the two things I have brought up. If you are ok with recruits not even knowing they have an offer, or our head coach not even calling a recruit when other head coaches are calling him...well, I guess you will be happy no matter what we do.

http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2...-had-usc-offer/comment-page-1/#comment-155013

Since you obviously think I am wrong, I will wait on your proof to refute these two stories.

Since I have not made any claims, I don't need to prove anything or refute anything. I'm just a Gamecock supporter with no more and no less power to affect what our sports staff does than you do. Having a third party make statements has no more weight than yours or mine. I will wait on the outcome and it doesn't make a hill of beans which is right or wrong.

why aint the negatives about the state hurting pitchfork tillman university
Good point, but I do not think they have had a great history, nationally, either. I think because the flag is flying right here it hurts us more. Recruits can just ride by and see it here. I am sure other coaches and programs use it against us. I would just like our state to do great things without anything being able to hold us back. Go gamecocks!

I can see my post must have been too long for you to read...because you obviously didn't.

"Just get the results."

And when will we know if they get results? Think about it.
In short, you don't know what's going on and the staff just might end up with a great class. We were close to having a top 5 class last year until "the comment"...well, and having a shytey seasons. But if they were that close last year, and understanding that the staff knows where it all went wrong, then you have to believe they are working to change the perceptions other schools are using against us and trying their best to correct it. And no, you can't base their efforts off of the words of a few recruits...and I you do you just don't have much common sense.

But do as you wish. I chose to wait and see the results.
They haven't been get results the last two years in recruiting, that is for sure. They aren't getting results early on in this recruiting year. 5 recruits at this point sucks. It's looking like they are going to be scraping the bottom of barrel at the end of the year yet again. They'll have to sign 10 players that won't qualify at this rate. That is not getting results in recruiting.

Since I have not made any claims

Ummm....

Quit making up stuff...

Looks like you were claiming I was making stuff up, no? You asked me to prove it or shut up, so I linked you both stories from Kornblutt. Try to discount the stories if you want, but he did actually talk to both recruits.

In the future, I hope if you are going to be calling people out and accuse them of fabricating stuff and telling them to shut up, when you are proven wrong, you can at least admit it.

Ummm....

Looks like you were claiming I was making stuff up, no? You asked me to prove it or shut up, so I linked you both stories from Kornblutt. Try to discount the stories if you want, but he did actually talk to both recruits.

In the future, I hope if you are going to be calling people out and accuse them of fabricating stuff and telling them to shut up, when you are proven wrong, you can at least admit it.

My fault. I knew better and did it anyway. A weak moment for sure. Rest easy, it won't happen again.

They haven't been get results the last two years in recruiting, that is for sure. They aren't getting results early on in this recruiting year. 5 recruits at this point sucks. It's looking like they are going to be scraping the bottom of barrel at the end of the year yet again. They'll have to sign 10 players that won't qualify at this rate. That is not getting results in recruiting.

Dude, go check your blood pressure.

It's July 5th, go fly a kite or something. Have some fun. The number of recruits we have right now means nothing. This is not a race through a super-center...all the 4 and 5 star players won't be gone before the end of the football season. I promise.

My fault. I knew better and did it anyway. A weak moment for sure. Rest easy, it won't happen again.

Much respect for this. Sorry for being a bit of a thorn in your side, but it just really hit me wrong when you accused me of making stuff up. Like you, I am indeed a big fan that just wants to see us do well. As you can see from my profile, I have only posted 50 times now in 3 years. Clearly, I'm not just someone who gets on here and post to cause problems all the time, though I visit the boards often multiple times each day. These two stories just really didn't sit well with me, and compelled me to post. Perhaps I was a bit too negative, but there shouldn't be stories like from our recruiting. Especially after our poor season last year, and then the collapse of our recruiting class after the season. I don't mind losing out on recruits, every team misses on players, but it frustrates me when it appears we aren't putting out our best effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandlapper59
Much respect for this. Sorry for being a bit of an thorn in your side, but it just really hit me wrong when you accused me of making stuff up. Like you, I am indeed a big fan that just wants to see us do well. As you can see from my profile, I have only posted 50 times now in 3 years. Clearly, I'm not just someone who gets on here and post to cause problems all the time, though I visit the boards often multiple times each day. These two stories just really didn't sit well with me, and compelled me to post. Perhaps I was a bit too negative, but there shouldn't be stories like from our recruiting. Especially after our poor season last year, and then the collapse of our recruiting class after the season. I don't mind losing out on recruits, every team misses on players, but it frustrates me when it appears we aren't putting out our best effort.

Good enough. My problem with the current "falling sky" negativity is that none of us really know what is going on in the Gamecock offices or field work. That is what I asked for proof of, not verification, or not, of reports in the media. None of us, including Kornblut, has sufficient inside information to make accurate judgements of the Gamecock staff actions or intentions. The recent blowup of who should be hired for the defense should verify that. Turns out, none of the posters who wanted to fire everyone knew anything remotely like what actually happened and the end result still seems to please almost all. Certainly pleases me.

That is why I'm content to leave the decisions to Spurrier and hope he has things under control. Its the only way to avoid constant irritation and remain a loyal Gamecock. Like it or not, we are spectators and we have no hand on the throttle.

And that's why the Tillmanites want to see us continue with seasons like last season. They see the state-of-the-art improvements USC has built or are building like the old Farmer's Market tailgating, the new indoor practice facility that is way cooler than the metal building they threw and called an indoor facility, and all the improvements to WB and they know Spurrier will keep using these to sell USC as a cool place to go play, which was one of his goals when he came here not just for his time, but for the future also. They see this, and they know he is succeeding...and that's just another reason they want him gone.
Too bad for them, it's not gonna stop because SOS decides to leave. Tanner knows how important the arms race is and he knows what it takes to win championships as he has shown. So let the taters hope and wish all they want...things will never be the way they were for so long...ever!

This post is dead on. Dabo has 1 commitment since signing day and I bet a few of those recruits that jumped on his signing day band wagon of Clemson is special BS are getting cold feet and will leave them before saying "I DO" on the alter.

We're involved with 3 other linebackers and only will take 2 more in this class. One of them is 100% projected to us, another is down to us and Alabama, and the 3rd between us and Mississippi State. Our needs for this position will be met very soon.

Good enough. My problem with the current "falling sky" negativity is that none of us really know what is going on in the Gamecock offices or field work. That is what I asked for proof of, not verification, or not, of reports in the media. None of us, including Kornblut, has sufficient inside information to make accurate judgements of the Gamecock staff actions or intentions. The recent blowup of who should be hired for the defense should verify that. Turns out, none of the posters who wanted to fire everyone knew anything remotely like what actually happened and the end result still seems to please almost all. Certainly pleases me.

That is why I'm content to leave the decisions to Spurrier and hope he has things under control. Its the only way to avoid constant irritation and remain a loyal Gamecock. Like it or not, we are spectators and we have no hand on the throttle.

Like...like...1000 likes!!!

Reactions: sandlapper59
Like...like...1000 likes!!!
Kornblut is just stirring the pot during the talking season.

Harbaugh has to be zealous this recruiting cycle. He has the name and tremendous past NFL media exposure but did not know any of the recruits he is now pursuing. His best selling feature is he coached in a Super Bowl and he now has the newness factor since he just moved into the neighborhood of college football head coaches. The man got 14 commitments in June so the best thing is he will be finished with his sprint very soon this recruiting cycle.

At least our coaches have been on the job multiple years evaluating talent, don't have all their eggs in one basket, and will know who to pursue next.

Did you leave the decisions to Spurrier last year too? How'd that work out?

Did you leave the decisions to Spurrier last year too? How'd that work out?

Yes, I did leave the decisions to Spurrier last year and you did too, whether you like to think otherwise or not. Whether either, or any, of us are happy with the results is a different matter. It does not decrease my blood pressure one jot to whine or complain on a message board that has zero ability to affect anything other than our attitudes. I expect that the severity of ulcers would be far less for all if we take a more level headed approach to the game.

You don't have to be glad that we are not as successful as we'd like but its is like you are not as successful in your bank account as you thought you might be when you were 20 years old either. Dwelling on either too much just angers up the blood, to paraphrase Sachel Paige.

Spurrier was ahead of the game in his younger years. That is a fact. He has developed a different style of offense to meet the changing times of this era. The fact remains he is not engaged in the recruiting process with the exception of an on campus handshake or a last minute effort in the closing moments. That worked at one time but now those times have changed and he needs to change this much like he changed his offense. It is the only real problem I have with Spurrier (outside of holding on to the wrong assistants for too long) and his way of coaching. This is the age of social media, text, emails and phone calls. He does that one day a week and we will be in every kids mind that he wants to attend South Carolina all the time. I don't want to hear one recruit say.."I haven't heard from South Carolina for a while". If you want them....let them know at least once a week....not once every month or so.

Reactions: jonesz21
There's a consistent theme that's emerged in recruiting. Not seeing it is willful blindness.

3 or 4 years ago, Alabama built a media center so that the entire coaching staff could Skype with a recruit. At the time there was no limit on these kinds of visits. Like Saban said at the time, "It's the next best thing to being there."

Wake me when Spurrier does or says something similar. I love our coach for what he has done, I just think he could have done much more. He reminds me of Freddie Couples. Freddie wasted a lot of talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT