ADVERTISEMENT

To the "Spurrier can't do anything right crowd"

umdterpcock

Gold Member
Sep 23, 2003
When did you lose all faith in the best coach we've ever had?

I never agreed with his hiring of Ward to be the top man to run the defense (oh by the way he fixed that this off-season) and I don't like his approach to recruiting BUT Steve Spurrier is the best thing that ever happened to South Carolina football.

Can anyone challenge that???!!?????

I never agreed with his hiring of Ward to be the top man to run the defense (oh by the way he fixed that this off-season) and I don't like his approach to recruiting BUT Steve Spurrier is the best thing that ever happened to South Carolina football.

Ward hire and then keeping Ward on after the worst defensive collapse in college football.....and passing on Chavous and Muschamp.

Reactions: conwayscock

You are always going to be as good as your last win, last season, or last decision. That's human nature and it's true with all fan bases. I don't know why anyone would be surprised at knee jerk remarks that fans make. The coaches are the best when they win and the worse when they lose. I haven't seen one fan base that doesn't follow that process. It's part of being a fan....it's derived from the word 'fanatical' so don't expect logical, common thought process from a fanatic...lol.

Geez, some will jump all over SOS no matter what. He can't open his mouth without some "fans" going off.
Out of curiosity, where are all the "fans" that were saying SOS had quit and was "just collecting a paycheck"? They were on here EVERYDAY posting it. I guess they've just moved on to their next biased rant.

Understand....Those people are NOT Carolina fans. They are just masquerading.....They all need to stay off this board! Go polish your tooth and take your sister out for a night on the town instead.

Reactions: ownCU and NetworkX
Yeah, the same fans that say he is on the golf course, doesn't care, doesn't recruit, etc.

So the man calls a press conference to try to set everyone straight about his commitment to this program and those same fans are still complaining.

Also, I have seen several recruits here lately say that they talked with SOS over the phone or were visited by SOS. So much for he doesn't recruit too right?

At this point, with the season a couple weeks away, I just wish some "fans???" would just follow the adage = say something good or don't say anything at all.

Weve heard the negativity all off-season.....can we move on? If this season gets underway and we show no improvement then have at it. But continuing to talk about the same stuff from last year, this offseason, etc. with this season just two weeks away is just tiring. It also does absolutely nothing to help with our current recruiting efforts.

Totally agree!

I don't believe anyone has said SOS can do no right. However, he's done a lot wrong lately. It is undeniably true that he is the best coach we've ever had. But, eventually it's time to move on. Yesterday's PC told me he didn't learn from his mistakes last year. It's still all about him, and he's no longer the old SOS.
I don't know how you figure that. He very much DID address problems. He has said over and over again that they did not play well and that they have some good players coming in to help improve the defense. That, plus hiring Hoke I think very much addresses the issues they had last year. What the hell else you want him to say?

I don't know how you figure that. He very much DID address problems. He has said over and over again that they did not play well and that they have some good players coming in to help improve the defense. That, plus hiring Hoke I think very much addresses the issues they had last year. What the hell else you want him to say?

I just want him to say we going to take a different approach in practice and conditioning If we get tougher and can tackle we will be fine

Reactions: conCOCKshon
That Atlanta writer(Bradley) has had his panties in a wad since SOS dressed down Moron Morris. The press folks stick together no matter what the issue. Also Bradley and his ilk with the ajc remember the years when Florida manhandled their little doggies. Most of their sport writers are alumni. SOS is not a conventional coach speak coach. Never has been. Never will be. Don't like that then you hired the wrong coach. Go find yourself another team. He ain't changing,Frankly, I like him.

Reactions: Bowelk1

Best coach in Carolina history isn't good enough anymore. What worked years ago doesn't work any more. You need recruiters that are grinders because you have to win the recruiting wars. Spurrier got lucky with a brief surge of instate talent. It's gone and so are Spurrier's chances to win a Championship with it.

That Atlanta writer(Bradley) has had his panties in a wad since SOS dressed down Moron Morris. The press folks stick together no matter what the issue. Also Bradley and his ilk with the ajc remember the years when Florida manhandled their little doggies. Most of their sport writers are alumni. SOS is not a conventional coach speak coach. Never has been. Never will be. Don't like that then you hired the wrong coach. Go find yourself another team. He ain't changing,Frankly, I like him.
Your comment about the press sticking together hits home. When Coach called out moron the GamecockCentral staff/writers/owners/administrative assistants/janitors/lawn boys/etc were mum as hell. The press really has a lot to be desired pertaining to being objective about themselves. God knows if one ever criticized another.

Really? He hires a guy who has been out of college for over a decade. No recruiting ties whatsoever and the game has completely changed since he was last coaching college kids. Recall, he previously rejected SOS. Worse, Ward and Adams are still on staff, Jr. is in charge of recruiting (and play calling evidently) and our S&C has slipped. The result was a boatload of 11th hour flips.

Tell me again how, when and where he made material changes? If your answer is Hoke you're wrong. And, if it turns out Hoke makes that big of a difference then we have the wrong HC.

Really? He hires a guy who has been out of college for over a decade. No recruiting ties whatsoever and the game has completely changed since he was last coaching college kids. Recall, he previously rejected SOS. Worse, Ward and Adams are still on staff, Jr. is in charge of recruiting (and play calling evidently) and our S&C has slipped. The result was a boatload of 11th hour flips.

Tell me again how, when and where he made material changes? If your answer is Hoke you're wrong. And, if it turns out Hoke makes that big of a difference then we have the wrong HC.
Dude it's obvious that you are frustrated and your points are valid BUT at some point you have to find some good in the program you choose to pull for.

Spurrier has made his share of mistakes but he's earned a chance to get us back on track. Don't you think 3 straight 11 win seasons was pretty good? Im not overly confident that we can get back to that level because of a lot of what you said but Spurrier deserves support. He's done more for our program than any other football coach. Spurriers not Holbrook. Holbrook took a corvette and turned it into a pinto. Spurrier took a fiesta and turned it into a Camaro.

He's not perfect but he deserves the chance to right the ship after 1 subpar year, IF he truly wants to right the ship and I personally think he does.

Dude it's obvious that you are frustrated and your points are valid BUT at some point you have to find some good in the program you choose to pull for.

Spurrier has made his share of mistakes but he's earned a chance to get us back on track. Don't you think 3 straight 11 win seasons was pretty good? Im not overly confident that we can get back to that level because of a lot of what you said but Spurrier deserves support. He's done more for our program than any other football coach. Spurriers not Holbrook. Holbrook took a corvette and turned it into a pinto. Spurrier took a fiesta and turned it into a Camaro.

He's not perfect but he deserves the chance to right the ship after 1 subpar year, IF he truly wants to right the ship and I personally think he does.
You are correct, but my frustration is borne from the fact it is my school and I hate to see us lose. I see a number of areas where it appears we are stuck when it comes to SOS. I'm just venting. But, it's apparent he's a very stubborn and vain guy. Often, that combo doesn't end well. The fact that he made so many mistakes last year, coupled with the fact that he made no real changes in the off-season, leads me to conclude 2015 will be no different than 2014. Of course, hope springs eternal and I'm hoping for a turn-around, but realistically I just don't see it. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

You are correct, but my frustration is borne from the fact it is my school and I hate to see us lose. I see a number of areas where it appears we are stuck when it comes to SOS. I'm just venting. But, it's apparent he's a very stubborn and vain guy. Often, that combo doesn't end well. The fact that he made so many mistakes last year, coupled with the fact that he made no real changes in the off-season, leads me to conclude 2015 will be no different than 2014. Of course, hope springs eternal and I'm hoping for a turn-around, but realistically I just don't see it. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Talk a walk onto the Gervais Street bridge, look down and you'll see a nice set of rocks just barely covered by the ice cold water of the Congaree River. Jump.

" ... He's not perfect but he deserves the chance to right the ship after 1 subpar year,"

That's the nexus of the angst some people (fans?) have been expressing ... "subpar" by what standard? By his own 'standard' that's what standard.
SOS took over 10-years ago and promptly won 84 games during the decade. In the three seasons immediately prior to Spurrier's arrival our Gamecocks won 5, 5 and 6 games, culminating with a butt-whipping by Clemson and a 15-minute brawl (which, it could be argued - we also lost). '98's 1-10 and '99's 0-11 were (thankfully) becoming just bad memories - but the heady days of Top 25 rankings in 2000 and 2001 were just memories, too.
We were in bad, Bad, BAD shape.
What happened?
We won TWO, then THREE then FOUR!!! SEC games in a row ... not just 'games' but CONFERENCE games!
We beat Florida, then Tennessee (in KNOXVILLE!) ... INCREDIBLE!
We won NINE, THEN TEN, THEN ELEVEN!!! games in ONE SEASON! We did it THREE YEARS IN A ROW!
We beat Clemson FIVE YEARS IN A ROW!
We became 'winners'.
We didn't (and DON'T) fear anyone anymore.
THAT is ALL 'Spurrier".
In the 20-years immediately preceding his arrival we beat Clemson a total of FIVE times! In TWENTY years. In the decade since SOS became the HBC we've won SIX!
Good Lord, I don't get it how anyone can question Spurrier's performance at South Carolina. If you ask any other SEC coach what they 'think' they'll tell you it's been a dang miracle.
I've been around long enough to know this ... it's been a heckava' lot more comforting having him on OUR sideline than bringing one of his old 'Gator squads into Wille-B to lay 50+ on us.

I just want him to say we going to take a different approach in practice and conditioning If we get tougher and can tackle we will be fine
We had 3 eleven win seasons in a row before last year. I'm sure they did not change much in terms of practice and conditioning last year. Practice was not the problem. Lack of talent on defense was. They have addressed that issue. Also, installing a new defense and running a 3-4 did not help. The young guys were confused and did not execute well. Bringing in Hoke to simplify things and calm the guys down a little addresses that issue.

We had 3 eleven win seasons in a row before last year. I'm sure they did not change much in terms of practice and conditioning last year. Practice was not the problem. Lack of talent on defense was. They have addressed that issue. Also, installing a new defense and running a 3-4 did not help. The young guys were confused and did not execute well. Bringing in Hoke to simplify things and calm the guys down a little addresses that issue.

The YOUNG guys lacked size, speed, and talent. The first two has more to do with genetics than coaching. We have to recruit better players

" ... He's not perfect but he deserves the chance to right the ship after 1 subpar year,"

That's the nexus of the angst some people (fans?) have been expressing ... "subpar" by what standard? By his own 'standard' that's what standard.
SOS took over 10-years ago and promptly won 84 games during the decade. In the three seasons immediately prior to Spurrier's arrival our Gamecocks won 5, 5 and 6 games, culminating with a butt-whipping by Clemson and a 15-minute brawl (which, it could be argued - we also lost). '98's 1-10 and '99's 0-11 were (thankfully) becoming just bad memories - but the heady days of Top 25 rankings in 2000 and 2001 were just memories, too.
What happened?
We won TWO, then THREE then FOUR!!! SEC games in a row ... not just 'games' but CONFERENCE games!
We won NINE, THEN TEN, THEN ELEVEN!!! games in ONE SEASON! We did it THREE YEARS IN A ROW!
We became 'winners'.
THAT is ALL 'Spurrier".
In the 20-years immediately preceding his arrival we beat Clemson a total of FIVE times! In TWENTY years. In the decade since SOS became the HBC we've won SIX!
Good Lord, I don't get it how anyone can question Spurrier's performance at South Carolina. If you ask any other SEC coach what they 'think' they'll tell you it's been a dang miracle.
I've been around long enough to know this ... it's been a heckava' lot more comforting having him on OUR sideline than bringing one of his old 'Gator squads into Wille-B to lay 50+ on us.
well said....just 3 11 win seasons ever and some guys think we are bama or uga....hell as good as tenn and uf were,look at them now....could we luck up and get the right coach to take the next step after sos hangs it up? maybe,but some here think it is a given...be careful what you wish for....

Spurrier is the best coach we have ever had and it's not even close. I've just always wanted to know if we're getting his best shot.

Spurrier is the best coach we have ever had and it's not even close. I've just always wanted to know if we're getting his best shot.
I used to wonder the same thing, and Im not sure we always have gotten Spurriers best shot, but I think he's giving as much as he ever has now.

He used to talk about how he's a Gator and always will be, but he hasn't said that in a looooooooooong time.

I think Spurrier is more Gamecock now than he ever has been.

Oh how I remember the days when we were hoping for our 6th win so we could go bowling. Nevermind what bowl just to go to a bowl.......

Now a 7 win season is "sup-par"........I like the new culture....Who brought that here?

What happened?
We became 'winners'.
THAT is ALL 'Spurrier".

Ahhh, finally a long time Carolina Fan with real perspective........Its really hard for those of us that sat in our seats through the 0-11 era and look around today and not realize the difference is like day vs night.....

As I said in another post we used to be giddy winning 6 so we could go bowling....Didn't matter the bowl....Now we get tired or going to Orlando and Tampa Bay and a 7 win season is "sub-par" based on some's standards......

When I read all the complaining I have to admit I chuckle because anyone with any sense that has followed our program for 30 or more years knows this last 10 has been some of the best (if not the best 10 years) we have ever had in our history.

Some have valid points.....I to this day don't understand why Ward and Adams are still collecting checks from USC. While I like SOS jr I am not so sure about our recruiting efforts....As well I think Elliott has reached beyond his potential.....

But with all that I have to take into account that the guy in charge has been at this for a really long time and apparently knows what he is doing....Along with that look around at all that he, his wife and his family do to support the University that they DON"T have to do....

My analysis of all of that is he cares just as much as most of us do and wants to win probably more than we do......Not only does he want to win Football games, he wants to win Baseball games, Basketball games and send kids out into the world that are better people.....

When was the last time you picked up the SNAKE and read about a USC player arrested or for that matter involved in something they had no business being involved in? Can't say it never happens but it doesn't happen on a regular basis like it once did and certainly not like it does upstate these days.....

Spurrier Field? Hell yeah! If you don't think that is deserving you haven't been a fan for 20 or 30 years or more.....Perspective!

just curious....when is the last time we had a losing season? The truth is you're all putting a number on him...70, just like you do recruits. I'm sorry, but you're acting like a bunch of spoiled brats. I still see him as the best play caller in the game evidenced by so many games we've won that we could have lost. Recruiting is going fine. Our guys come in and play better than their rankings as opposed to kids that are highly ranked and go to UGA or Climpson and underachieve. Yes, we over-estimated our defense last year, but I think we'll see a big improvement on that side of the ball. The HBC will know when he's not effective or doesn't have the fire anymore. Meanwhile, just sit back and let him do his thing.

Reactions: sandlapper59
Really? He hires a guy who has been out of college for over a decade. No recruiting ties whatsoever and the game has completely changed since he was last coaching college kids....

Hoke has been coaching defense for a long time. Do you really think he's not up-to-speed on what SEC offenses (and defenses) are doing these days? It's his profession, it's not like he was on Mars coaching. Everyone is so high on Muschamp, but his last DC job was at Texas, with 5 star talent to spare. There's no guarantee that he'll have the same level of success in the SEC.

Spurrier had to give Ward the opportunity when Ellis left. He was the next in line and had worked for the opportunity. It didn't work out.

That said, anyone who complains about "Spurrier can't get us to the next level", etc. is either a johnny-come-lately fan or has a very short memory. This football program did not have a winning attitude before his arrival. All of those close games we've won over the last few years would have always gone the other way before Spurrier (in the seldom chance we might have had to win a big game). The job that the man has done here is amazing, and he is not done. He is absolutely the best thing that's ever happened to South Carolina football. You can bet your arse that if he didn't think he could take this program any further, he would get out of the way and let someone else try.

While I agree that the influx of in-state talent helped tremendously, South Carolina has always produced great talent, but before Spurrier it was rare that any of them would give the program an honest sniff.

I'm thankful and will enjoy every minute I can of having this man leading the football program. Legendary times we are living in. Enjoy it!

Reactions: N.C.COCK

What happened?
We became 'winners'.
THAT is ALL 'Spurrier".

Can't get any more plain or real then this. Anyone that says fire SOS is ignorant and better get a grasp on reality. We have no real football history, we are making that history right now.
We had a season here and there but now SOS is building a legacy.

Last edited:
Neither wanted the job...next.
Didn't pursue them....next.... which was stupid. Anxious to see how Hoke and ward work together under some game pressure and don't forget to throw Adams in there. He hasn't done a freaking thing. Our coaching staff is not as good as 3 years ago and that will show this year with the tough schedule.

Just watched the Auburn game again. No doubt Auburn was the better team. Still, the game was close and we could have won with a couple better passes from Thompson. The most routine part of the game was a bad failure for the Gamecocks and that was very poor snaps from center that had Thompson working from behind all game. What kept the game close was a couple very good players and better play calling by Spurrier. Constantly called plays that took Auburn by surprise or took advantage of their formations. Anyone making calls for the exit of SOS just needs to have their grey matter adjusted.

Well, I don't wonder or worry about getting The HBC's best shot -- not in the least.

The man is not only a winner, he is an EXCEPTIONAL kind of WINNER. That kind of person gives his best shot all the time.

You are always going to be as good as your last win, last season, or last decision. That's human nature and it's true with all fan bases. I don't know why anyone would be surprised at knee jerk remarks that fans make. The coaches are the best when they win and the worse when they lose. I haven't seen one fan base that doesn't follow that process. It's part of being a fan....it's derived from the word 'fanatical' so don't expect logical, common thought process from a fanatic...lol.

This^^^^^^

Best coach in Carolina history isn't good enough anymore. What worked years ago doesn't work any more. You need recruiters that are grinders because you have to win the recruiting wars. Spurrier got lucky with a brief surge of instate talent. It's gone and so are Spurrier's chances to win a Championship with it.
You post in bunches of sheer silliness. I don't care for you to agree, just remember your ridiculous comments and own up to your ignorance once this team proves you wrong.

You post in bunches of sheer silliness. I don't care for you to agree, just remember your ridiculous comments and own up to your ignorance once this team proves you wrong.
Like Spurrier and hope he stays a while longer but our best teams and best chances are over, done, finished. If we couldn't do it a couple or 3 years ago, then it won't happen.

Is this more about you being right? Your ending says it all. So if we don't succeed you were right, and if we do, you're still right? Ha!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT