ADVERTISEMENT

Trust Ray, he knows what he is doing

Here is my opinion, and I know everyone has one....We took the best baseball coach in the country and made him an AD, we took a great assistant coach/recruiter and made him a head coach. So far neither has proved to be the right decision. Understand, I am not saying that Tanner is not competent to be our AD, but I don't think he is dealing with the Holbrook problem in the same manner that an individual who never had previously coached WITH Holbrook would deal with it. Everyone has their field of expertise and/or talents. Many times those are not necessarily a good fit in another position. I honestly believe Scott Wingo could have skippered this team and done as well or better than Holbrook. At least Scotty would have had a better excuse for being as bad as we were this year. Sad to think that this is going to have to go on for at least one more year before the "root cause" is addressed.

Last edited:
Tanner doesn't know what he is doing. He thinks he is "Standing by his man." But what he really is doing is "Going down with the ship." "Everyone grab your buckets! we're okay! Keep bailing! We're okay!"

Reactions: conCOCKshon
Translation for those not fluent in childish denial: Calicock has no evidence to support his position, but will cling to it till all the adults leave the room.

lol, you think whatever helps you sleep at night princess, but I was told this by someone whose last name is "Holtz". see, not all of us are pathetic message forum losers like you. Some of are *actually* connected, you know, in real life.

this is just me, but i wanted ward, botkins, adams, and sands fired. i would never want spurrier fired. but after keeping all these guys who ruined our program, then saying the 2 year comment, i wish he resigned. i do want martin and holbrook fired. all of our hope for all 3 programs are hinged on players who have never played any, or at least meaningful time.

i loved ray tanner so much i named my norwich terrier, tanner. but if coach tanner left for a better job, i wouldn't exactly cry myself to sleep either. (i wish he would take over the baseball program again.) jmho

lol, you think whatever helps you sleep at night princess, but I was told this by someone whose last name is "Holtz". see, not all of us are pathetic message forum losers like you. Some of are *actually* connected, you know, in real life.
Now calm down, Barney, and put the bullet back in your pocket before you hurt yourself.

Taneer didn't just wake up one day a few years ago and decide he wanted to be an AD. He's has studied it worked toward it for years, as far back as his time at NCST and well before he came to USC. I don't think his original plan was to be the AD at USC but it worked out for him.
The problems with the athletic teams he's facing now have not been caused by problems within the AD, it's due to poor evaluating, poor recruiting and poor coaching. I'm confident that when his time is done as AD he will have done a great job and we will all be sorry to see him leave.

Taneer didn't just wake up one day a few years ago and decide he wanted to be an AD. He's has studied it worked toward it for years, as far back as his time at NCST and well before he came to USC. I don't think his original plan was to be the AD at USC but it worked out for him.
The problems with the athletic teams he's facing now have not been caused by problems within the AD, it's due to poor evaluating, poor recruiting and poor coaching. I'm confident that when his time is done as AD he will have done a great job and we will all be sorry to see him leave.
He hired Holbrook, the poor coach, that can't evaluate, recruit, or coach. Tells me Tanner is not a very good evaluator of coaches. Should have stuck to being the one evaluating players.

This is Tanner first AD job correct? He will make some mistakes I'm sure. He will make some great decisions also. There has to be a learning curve from supervising the production line to running the company. It is ok to say Tanner did something great! It is also OK to say maybe he should have interviewed another baseball coach or two with actual head coaching experience when he gave his buddy the job

Funny that you give RT room to learn and grow in his first AD job, but you don't think the same thing applies to CH. It's also a big step going from hitting / asst. coach to head coach. Typical.

He hired Holbrook, the poor coach, that can't evaluate, recruit, or coach. Tells me Tanner is not a very good evaluator of coaches. Should have stuck to being the one evaluating players.

Interesting. Can I ask your qualifications to evaluate the skill sets that you mentioned? Are you an Athletic Director or Head Coach at the collegiate level or above?

"First, it's absurd to fire a coach of Holbrooks calibre after one bad year."

One thing that MUST stop is the rhetoric that this is just "one bad year" for Holbrook. We have been measurably, undeniably, by-the-numbers declining for his entire tenure so far.

Funny that you give RT room to learn and grow in his first AD job, but you don't think the same thing applies to CH. It's also a big step going from hitting / asst. coach to head coach. Typical.

yeah, maybe we should have gave Brad Scott room to learn

LSU has been in the news the last couple of weeks about maybe having to file bankruptcy. lol.
The fiscal situation at LSU has nothing to do with athletics, but state budget cuts, and Bertman hasn't been athletic director since 2008. So, I'm not sure what your point is.

The fiscal situation at LSU has nothing to do with athletics, but state budget cuts, and Bertman hasn't been athletic director since 2008. So, I'm not sure what your point is.[/QU

On June 4, 2006, Bertman fired his successor as LSU's baseball coach, Raymond "Smoke" Laval, after the Tigers went 35–24 overall and 13–17 in the SEC, failing to reach the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1988. That my point

On June 4, 2006, Bertman fired his successor as LSU's baseball coach, Raymond "Smoke" Laval, after the Tigers went 35–24 overall and 13–17 in the SEC, failing to reach the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1988. That my point
And that has exactly what to do with what you actually said, which was: "LSU has been in the news the last couple of weeks about maybe having to file bankruptcy. lol"?

follow-blindly.png

Interesting. Can I ask your qualifications to evaluate the skill sets that you mentioned? Are you an Athletic Director or Head Coach at the collegiate level or above?
The only ones whose qualifications are relevant are Tanner and Holbrook because they are the ones being paid to get results and failing miserably in their current jobs.

Let's face it, Ray's job has been pretty easy so far with no real pressure. That changes now with an underachieving baseball coach and a football coaching vacancy in the next few years. Ray's done well with the facilities upgrades, public relations, etc but his only dealings with coaches has been handing out extensions and raises. Chad does not need any more time to learn his job. His teams have underperformed and that falls squarely on him. If the transition is so hard from being a hitting coach to manager then maybe he needs to go back to being an assistant. We don’t need to waste any more time waiting for the light to turn on for Chad while the program hits rock bottom.

Last edited:
Ray for those of you confused was the obvious choice after Hyman. Hyman had disenfranchised and alienated some pretty sizable donors during his tenure. Ray was an obvious choice to repair and enhance donors to re-engineering the university. If you don't see that, you have little to offer in the conversation. He will make the hard and easy choices when the time for such choices arise. Till then, Go Gamecocks!

Reactions: searooster
This year alone Carolina fans have wanted Spurrier fired because of how the team was going. if not fired we wanted him to retire. Then we wanted Martin fired because in year three we didnt see what we wanted from the team. Then we want Holbrook fired because of a bad season. Let us not forget that we want Berson fired from soccer as well.
Let's be honest here, this year was not what we hoped or expected from a major sports year but all of this fire everyone stuff is a little old now. How about some support? Negativity breeds negativity and recruits DO read these boards so when we bash everyone and want everyone fired, we look like a majorly disfunctional fan base.
Ray is a former coach and successful one at that. He knows what he is looking at and knows if a coach is losing the program or if they are having a rough year. He didnt want his career judged on one bad season and so he wont do that to any of these coaches. If next year things are still like they are now in May, then Ray will very likely be looking at changes but right now he is seeing things as being able to be corrected and be successful and we should also. I will admit I still wonder why Deke Adams is still here but he is and I will support him and hope he makes the d-line the best it has ever been this year. Support who is here. This is when they need it the most.
OK I am getting off my soapbox now. Have a nice day.

"TRUST, BUT VERIFY." Per Ronald Reagan.
That is good advice, and still true today!

I'd say wins is a pretty good metric. That's typically how it's done. And you do understand the people who hired Tanner were not head coaches or athletic directors, right?

Speaking of ADs, go Eric Hyman's comments about hiring Ray Tanner. Sure didn't sound like he thought it was a good idea.

Ray was a very good baseball coach, just being honest though. I'm not sure he's cut out to be a good AD. I think he lets Spurrier do what ever he wants, even if it hurts the program. Can't blame him for Hollbrook though, he looked like a good hire at the time.

Ray was a very good baseball coach, just being honest though. I'm not sure he's cut out to be a good AD. I think he lets Spurrier do what ever he wants, even if it hurts the program. Can't blame him for Hollbrook though, he looked like a good hire at the time.

My guess is that SOS made his "two years" comments without consulting his boss. I'll further guess that subsequent to those comments, he had a meeting with his boss whereby it was explained why such comments do not benefit the school. Such explanation was likely not done as a "reading SOS the riot act," which is why RT is the AD.

My guess is that SOS made his "two years" comments without consulting his boss. I'll further guess that subsequent to those comments, he had a meeting with his boss whereby it was explained why such comments do not benefit the school. Such explanation was likely not done as a "reading SOS the riot act," which is why RT is the AD.

Ray is the AD because he won 2 championships in baseball.

Reactions: uofsc
Very few Carolina fans seriously expected Skip Holtz to become Head coach here. Some random gossip to that effect on sport forums , but nothing ever of substance to support it.

Spot on rooster..........posters like jonesz like to speculate on possible negatives like "Skip"..........no one with half a brain thought Skip was getting the job.

Reactions: searooster
Ray is comparing this past season to '99. I'm not getting my hopes up that 2016 will be similar to the '00 team that wound up being the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament though.

This year alone Carolina fans have wanted Spurrier fired because of how the team was going. if not fired we wanted him to retire. Then we wanted Martin fired because in year three we didnt see what we wanted from the team. Then we want Holbrook fired because of a bad season. Let us not forget that we want Berson fired from soccer as well.
Let's be honest here, this year was not what we hoped or expected from a major sports year but all of this fire everyone stuff is a little old now. How about some support? Negativity breeds negativity and recruits DO read these boards so when we bash everyone and want everyone fired, we look like a majorly disfunctional fan base.
Ray is a former coach and successful one at that. He knows what he is looking at and knows if a coach is losing the program or if they are having a rough year. He didnt want his career judged on one bad season and so he wont do that to any of these coaches. If next year things are still like they are now in May, then Ray will very likely be looking at changes but right now he is seeing things as being able to be corrected and be successful and we should also. I will admit I still wonder why Deke Adams is still here but he is and I will support him and hope he makes the d-line the best it has ever been this year. Support who is here. This is when they need it the most.

Ray is the AD because he won 2 championships in baseball.
That makes him a good baseball coach not a good AD. Our AD has to fire people who don't get the job done every once in a while so that every coach that takes a pay check signed by The University of South Carolina knows his or her job is not secure allowing them to slack. That is what we have been experiencing. A bunch of coaches in many sports that have gotten lazy because their AD is too nice and won't fire them and will defend them no matter what. It's a major problem.

Hard to believe a HOF coach wouldn't recognize on his own the damage that such a stupid comment caused.

I didn't think it was a good choice. Smacks of King Dixon. Popular guy whose dedication to USC is unquestioned. But, he was a lousy AD. The AD position in today's world in a power 5 conference requires nothing short of a business degree from MIT. It's not just hiring coaches anymore.

Ask yourself this. Even if you hated Hyman, could Tanner have righted our ship, developed a master plan (that incredibly had never been done before) and executed it under the dire financial condition we were in at the time? My answer is No. Great man, to be sure, but he's in over his head. His automatic fall back position is to discuss construction projects (envisioned under Hyman's plan) to deflect away from our issues.
I agree with all points you have made.

ADVERTISEMENT