ADVERTISEMENT

U.Florida frats spit on Vets.....wow

As a combat veteran of Korea from 1950 -52, I am beyond disgusted at such behavior. I am also disgusted that some found a way to blame only liberals and college professors for these criminal actions. What the hell does politics have to do with it? Did they make a survey of the perpetrators? Such rudeness knows no political boundaries. At almost 84, I might have some trouble mounting an active defense but I would surely have a go at it with whatever was at hand.

Reactions: Cybercock
Wow- no matter how silly drunk I may have gotten in college I would have still known better to do something as awful as that- cant imagine what these idiots were thinking. I dont see this as a reflection of UF, just some incredibly stupid, immature, disrespectful, ungrateful, arrogant, unappreciative, spoiled, misguided complete dumb asses. I bet some of you vets could straighten them out!

Pride in Country is not taught in school anymore. Most of the 40 and below age have never suffered any hardships and don't know what it's like to pay the price for anything. As for politics, it is taught more in college than most know, they are not taught the love of Country or appreciation for the ones responsible for the right to do these things. This is why young brats stomp on my flag and spit on vets, it's drilled into their heads. If they want to spit on vets hurry down to Fort Bragg and spit on a few 82nd guys and leave the old dudes alone. And to make this sports related so the forum police wont complain....GO GAMECOCKS TOO

Reactions: TriumphCock
Pride in Country is not taught in school anymore. Most of the 40 and below age have never suffered any hardships and don't know what it's like to pay the price for anything. As for politics, it is taught more in college than most know, they are not taught the love of Country or appreciation for the ones responsible for the right to do these things. This is why young brats stomp on my flag and spit on vets, it's drilled into their heads. If they want to spit on vets hurry down to Fort Bragg and spit on a few 82nd guys and leave the old dudes alone. And to make this sports related so the forum police wont complain....GO GAMECOCKS TOO
"Pride in country" is not something that should be taught or indoctrinated. If it has to be taught then it isn't genuine.

Reactions: TheRoosterGuru
I agree cockhorn but first they have to be taught WHAT makes an American proud. It's not indoctrination but more like information.

You assume that they aren't informed not that they just don't care? I don't know about that. Some people will be disrespectful just for the fact they are told they should be respectful by others and they don't like being told to what to do and see being told what to do as a sign of disrespect for their own personal freedom. It's best just to ignore it.

Sadly these are the kind of kids that respect no one or anything. They all need a good reality check. Take them out and drop them somewhere and they would all die. They aren't the type that can survive the real harsh life. They have no clue what it is. Their day will come.....

Reactions: TriumphCock
As a combat veteran of Korea from 1950 -52, I am beyond disgusted at such behavior. I am also disgusted that some found a way to blame only liberals and college professors for these criminal actions. What the hell does politics have to do with it? Did they make a survey of the perpetrators? Such rudeness knows no political boundaries. At almost 84, I might have some trouble mounting an active defense but I would surely have a go at it with whatever was at hand.

No one needs to do a survey to find out the Political leanings of that group of "Protestors". You won't ever find Conservatives stomping of the US Flag! That is owned by Liberals alone. That is not to say all Liberals would do that, but NO Conservatives would!

Reactions: PersonallyFowl
No one needs to do a survey to find out the Political leanings of that group of "Protestors". You won't ever find Conservatives stomping of the US Flag! That is owned by Liberals alone. That is not to say all Liberals would do that, but NO Conservatives would!
These kids don't have enough care to in the world to be liberal or conservative...but if you had to draw a conclusion you would think they came from a privileged family and their parents would be more often wealthy Republicans....if you are going to draw a blind conclusion. Conservatism...much like religion, is something a lot of people hide behind to cover many misdeeds.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
I wasn't aware of a "small talk" forum. My apologies.....I see things posted here OT...so I thought this was where to post it....

Well spitting on people and their dogs and urinating in public are crimes I thought. So we are talking about more than just "not being nice." However, there has to be something that prompted them to do this. There must have been some kind of argument so I do think we are getting the entire story.

Interesting point of view given that a lot of the conservatives I know don't give a damn about the country as long as they get their group into power. Trampling on the flag seems minor compared to what some of them have been doing for the last six years. By the way I am not a liberal and have plenty of scorn for both houses.

Thanks to all the vets ITT. However, if I had been there and witness what those fools did to those vets they would have gotten a full on trailer park beat down.

So much critical thinking in one paragraph...

So is shame in country not genuine? Because it is most definitely taught.

Pride and shame in the country are not monolithic. There are plenty of reasons people are proud to be Americans and there are plenty of reasons to be ashamed because of actions that don't represent us in a favorable manner. Blind allegiance is foolish.

I doubt this was any organize protest against America. Frat guys on spring break in Panama City. This story is much more likely: Obnoxious drunk college punks on spring break were being obnoxious drunk college punks on spring break a crotchety old man took exception and started being a crotchety old man, things got out of hand.

All veterans and those currently serving signed a blank check with their lives as possible payment when they signed up to serve and earned the respect shown to them by most people. Those punks probably have never dedicated themselves to anything other than self satisfaction and deserve respect from no one. No child of mine would be part of anything like that and be able to face me!

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Well spitting on people and their dogs and urinating in public are crimes I thought. So we are talking about more than just "not being nice." However, there has to be something that prompted them to do this. There must have been some kind of argument so I do think we are getting the entire story.

I don't really think it matters what started the dispute to be honest with you. I have been plenty mad in my life, but NEVER have I spit on another person, peed on an American flag, or felt the need to go after people in wheelchairs. And, YES, I have been a drunk, belligerent college kid before. I have been in fights, but it was NEVER against an elderly person, nor a handicapped person, nor a US veteran, nor a dog.

To even have the ability to do what they did, regardless of the reason for the anger, shows a true lack of morals and personal decency by these young men and women. The parents of these adults have failed miserably in the responsibilities they took on when choosing to have children. Knowing their children are not only at prestigious universities that are expensive to attend, but that they also have the extra wealth to afford fraternities and travel for socials; it is clear the parents had the financial means to educate their children better than they chose to do. Therefore, no excuses justify their actions. We are all a reflection of our parents, and family that helped mold us to the adults we are. Our actions speak to the work and investment generations before us put into us. The men and women lack any redeeming value as human beings, and I'm talking about their parents too.

Reactions: taiwancock
All veterans and those currently serving signed a blank check with their lives as possible payment when they signed up to serve and earned the respect shown to them by most people. Those punks probably have never dedicated themselves to anything other than self satisfaction and deserve respect from no one. No child of mine would be part of anything like that and be able to face me!

I know a bunch of lousy veterans who don't deserve any respect at all. Veterans are people too, and many of them suck. I don't think veterans are any worse that civilians, but I'd say, from my experience, that the percentage of crappy veterans to total veterans is about the same as the percentage of crappy civilians to total civilians. Don't be blind to that fact.

Last edited:
I don't really care that they spit on vets, it's the fact that they spit on people that is disturbing. What kind of superiority complex do you have to have to think that's cool?

With that said, I don't think vets deserve special treatment just because they're veterans of the military. They signed up to serve the country, and the blind reverence of everyone isn't part of the contract. Though many served for the status it gives them in society.

"But I served to defend your right to po-"

No, you didn't. No one's defended America seriously since WWII'

EDIT: I was an SC National Guardsman, so this isn't some random person. Though I regret needing to qualify my opinion with ethos, shows how indoctrinated we are to worship military members.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Gamecawks,

I agree with you and don't think I am owed any special privileges because I am a vet. Much of the patriotism I see appears to be knee jerk to elevate the status of one who makes the loudest profession of patriotism. I really don't appreciate such false praise anyway. There is a debt owed to veterans though, whether you acknowledge it or not.

I did get a USC education by way of the GI Bill that would have been much more difficult for me without it. That Bill was of much more value to the whole country than to the individuals who received it. It may have been the main instrument that created the skilled and educated middle class that brought on the most prosperous period in USA history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT